Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby David » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:52 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:I've liked a lot of Paces individual moves these three years, but he hasn't proven anything without wins, IMO.

i'm looking at the coaching staff, the roster, and how things are set moving forward and i am very optimistic. that's enough for me to be pleased right now.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:58 pm

David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:I've liked a lot of Paces individual moves these three years, but he hasn't proven anything without wins, IMO.

i'm looking at the coaching staff, the roster, and how things are set moving forward and i am very optimistic. that's enough for me to be pleased right now.

Right, I'm pleased. When I commended Pace there it wasn't me coming to collect a "told you so" badge on the job he's done. I'm just very happy with the team he's put together and I'm happy the Bears have him over a lot of other GMs.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:02 pm

Thrilho wrote:
David wrote:

Right, I'm pleased. When I commended Pace there it wasn't me coming to collect a "told you so" badge on the job he's done. I'm just very happy with the team he's put together and I'm happy the Bears have him over a lot of other GMs.

right...i'm not saying they're gonna go out and pull an eagles or even rams, but i'm saying i'm pretty sure this is going to be a good team going forward, possibly as soon as the 2018 season. 9+ wins wouldn't shock me at all, but the toughness of the division is the main reason i'm not willing to go too hard on 2018 optimism.
Last edited by David on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:12 pm

David wrote:
Thrilho wrote:
David wrote:

right...i'm not saying they're gonna go out and pull an eagles or even rams, but i'm saying i'm pretty sure this is going to be a good team going forward, possibly as soon as the 2018 season. 9+ wins wouldn't shock me at all, but the toughness is the division of the main reason i'm not willing to go too hard on 2018 optimism.

True, it's easier for me to say I think the offense is going to be good than to say they are actually going to win the games. It's a tough division and tough conference right now. They've got a good defense though, so if from there it seems like the biggest thing will be Trubisky's ability to win games. He wasn't as good at it this year as I thought he'd be but I'm gonna be optimistic on that ability this year. The team will put themselves in position to win and I'll say he's going to be better at finishing than Cousins and Stafford.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:25 pm

David wrote:
davell wrote:The national media was gushing over the Cubs farm system. They all were saying that they were going to be a powerhouse, just a matter of when. This isn't yet the case with the Bears.

there was tons and tons of doubt and by no means was the cubs being a powerhouse characterized as a certain thing aside from a few prospect nerds. come on. nationally there was plenty of doubt in theo after the way 2011 ended, the first 3 years with the cubs...the narrative was that maybe he just lucked into inheriting the 04 team and also that he just won by spending money.

as an aside, i was and am a huge theo fan boy and i was far from certain this was going to turn into a great thing. i was pretty sure it'd be good, but most prospects bust and somehow only like 2 of ours (alcantara and soler) truly busted.

I don't want this to turn into a Theo discussion, so I'll just agree to disagree on that end of things....

Again, I like lots of Pace's move, in a vacuum. But its time for them to start producing wins.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:28 pm

davell wrote:
David wrote:
davell wrote:The national media was gushing over the Cubs farm system. They all were saying that they were going to be a powerhouse, just a matter of when. This isn't yet the case with the Bears.

there was tons and tons of doubt and by no means was the cubs being a powerhouse characterized as a certain thing aside from a few prospect nerds. come on. nationally there was plenty of doubt in theo after the way 2011 ended, the first 3 years with the cubs...the narrative was that maybe he just lucked into inheriting the 04 team and also that he just won by spending money.

as an aside, i was and am a huge theo fan boy and i was far from certain this was going to turn into a great thing. i was pretty sure it'd be good, but most prospects bust and somehow only like 2 of ours (alcantara and soler) truly busted.

I don't want this to turn into a Theo discussion, so I'll just agree to disagree on that end of things....

Again, I like lots of Pace's move, in a vacuum. But its time for them to start producing wins.

just as long as you realize that you're a prospect nerd among prospect nerds (maybe not to that cubswin guy's or even raisin's level, but close) , so you're biased on that front, lol.
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:54 pm

David wrote:
davell wrote:
David wrote:

just as long as you realize that you're a prospect nerd among prospect nerds (maybe not to that cubswin guy's or even raisin's level, but close) , so you're biased on that front, lol.

Duly noted. With pride.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:07 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Baseball is a quantifiable sport where you can know you are good before you are good. Football is not. Believing in mitch isn't enough.

Entirely fair, but I gotta say I'm pretty happy with everything Pace has done since right after the trade to the second pick (which I've softened on my stance against somewhat, if only to allow for the possibility that Pace knew someone else was after Mitch from his own trade discussions). That is, barring anything unrealistic like wishing he would've fired Fox the very next day.

I'm happy with the past year, but we're three years in now. And still riding on hope.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Receivers that can spread the field. TE's that can catch. Running backs that won't be hamstringed by defenses stacking the box. A young qb with a offensive minded coach with successful NFL experience at play calling.

I'm optimistic as hell. I'm imagining a 3rd and 5 where Cohen or Cunningham line up in the backfield, Burton and Shaheen at TE, Meredith and Robinson running 10-15 yard routes, and Trubisky has those 5 options to throw to or can run it right up the middle for easy first downs. I see dynamics at work for this offense that makes them good right away.

ETA: Of course, this assumes Meredith is back on the roster later today.
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:03 am

This is sort of "Bears" news (maybe)....

Just read the the Packers have requested of the NFL to open the upcoming season at home. It is their 100th season, and the Packers want to make it a big, weekend celebration. And it's supposed to be the Sunday night game. So you gotta think it will be a division game, right? Well, what better match up than the OLDEST rivalry in football, right?!? While I think it would be a game the NFL would love to market, I'd rather not play that game against the Bears. These two teams have a habit of ruining "special games" for the other team (i.e - Favre's jersey retirement, Sayers & Butkus # retirement, etc.).

Anyway, thought it was worth sharing in this thread.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:51 am

Puck the Fackers
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:31 am

Updated again, not much new here

Offense (25)
QB (3): Trubisky, Daniels, Bray
RB (4): Howard, Cohen, ______#3, Cunningham
WR (6): Robinson, Meredith, Gabriel, White, _______#5, Bellamy
TE (4): Burton, Shaheen, Sims, Brown
OL (8): Leno, Kush, Whitehair, Long, Massie, Sowell, Grasu/#2C, Morgan/#2G/Watford
Defense (25)
5T (4): Hicks, ______, Robertson-Harris, Bullard
NT (2): Goldman, Jenkins
OLB (5): Floyd, _____, Lynch, Acho, _____
ILB (4): Trevathan, Kwiatkowski, ______, Timu/Anderson
CB (3): Fuller, Amukamara, Cooper
Slot SB (2): Callahan, LeBlanc
S (4): Jackson, Amos, Bush/Hall, Houston-Carson
Special Teams (4):
K: Parkey
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales
ST: McManis
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:10 am

At this point I'm just being unnecessarily nosy, no clue why I'm showing any interest in the Bears, but I would also suggest Mike McGlinchey at 8 considering that depth chart. I converted to a believer after he weighed in with 34" inch arms. All this Nelson hype (or Kolton Miller at OT) but the league is starved for OT talent and McGlinchey is the guy ready to contribute outside no matter the QB situation. That's not a knock on Trubisky,no clue wtf to make of him, but rather Kolton Miller the other hyped OT thanks to showing the kind of athleticism teams want. Miller needs a passing offense, a team with a QB, because he is not physical nor was he even all that good in college so much as Rosen is a stud.

So basically if I was the Bears GM, I would be picking between:

Mike McGlinchey
Denzel Ward
Marcus Davenport
Harold Landry
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:18 am

So they released the draft hats today, and they are pretty terrible. Each team has two of their phrases/mottos/nicknames etc. on them (front and on the inside band), and they didn't even use 'Bear Down'. I get Monsters of the Midway but 'Windy City Football'? I've only seen that used for a failed NSB sister site.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/04/nfl-dr ... ked-photos
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:43 am

Brian wrote:So they released the draft hats today, and they are pretty terrible. Each team has two of their phrases/mottos/nicknames etc. on them (front and on the inside band), and they didn't even use 'Bear Down'. I get Monsters of the Midway but 'Windy City Football'? I've only seen that used for a failed NSB sister site.

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

cwood218
Role Player

Postby cwood218 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:30 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:At this point I'm just being unnecessarily nosy, no clue why I'm showing any interest in the Bears, but I would also suggest Mike McGlinchey at 8 considering that depth chart. I converted to a believer after he weighed in with 34" inch arms. All this Nelson hype (or Kolton Miller at OT) but the league is starved for OT talent and McGlinchey is the guy ready to contribute outside no matter the QB situation. That's not a knock on Trubisky,no clue wtf to make of him, but rather Kolton Miller the other hyped OT thanks to showing the kind of athleticism teams want. Miller needs a passing offense, a team with a QB, because he is not physical nor was he even all that good in college so much as Rosen is a stud.

Mike McGlinchey
Denzel Ward
Marcus Davenport
Harold Landry

Picking McGlinchey that high seems like a very poor use of resources. Trading down to the mid to late first round would still make it possible to get McGlinchey. The backup plan could be to take a guard like Wynn or Hernandez.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Bears 2018 Offseason: Matt Nagy Hired as Head Coach

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:42 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:At this point I'm just being unnecessarily nosy, no clue why I'm showing any interest in the Bears, but I would also suggest Mike McGlinchey at 8 considering that depth chart. I converted to a believer after he weighed in with 34" inch arms. All this Nelson hype (or Kolton Miller at OT) but the league is starved for OT talent and McGlinchey is the guy ready to contribute outside no matter the QB situation. That's not a knock on Trubisky,no clue wtf to make of him, but rather Kolton Miller the other hyped OT thanks to showing the kind of athleticism teams want. Miller needs a passing offense, a team with a QB, because he is not physical nor was he even all that good in college so much as Rosen is a stud.

Mike McGlinchey
Denzel Ward
Marcus Davenport
Harold Landry
I don't like being such an horsefeathers but I LOLd at this thought pretty hard. I can understand trading down and getting McGlinchey but I would be truly sick if we took him at 8.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:13 am

cwood218 wrote:Picking McGlinchey that high seems like a very poor use of resources. Trading down to the mid to late first round would still make it possible to get McGlinchey. The backup plan could be to take a guard like Wynn or Hernandez.

I neither believe McGlinchey lasts that long nor that taking the top OT prospect in the top 10 is poor value but rather typical value at worst. I say at worst becuse the top OT is most often a top 5 lock, this year the QBs are throwing that off. I'm looking at a Bears depth chart and see that Bobby Massie and some guy namd Charles Leno Jr. are the starting OTs. I don't even want to guess which one is considered the better player, but that is most likely not a good situation for the short, medium, or long term especially if bringing along a QB and passing game. Checking....FO has the Bears OL as 23rd in pass protection, 28th overall, with some of the worst LT play in the league. Massie was actually competent over at RT, maybe, but it might be because the team overall stayed away from running plays where the OTs took on more responsibiliy.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:34 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:

Mike McGlinchey
Denzel Ward
Marcus Davenport
Harold Landry
I don't like being such an horsefeathers but I LOLd at this thought pretty hard. I can understand trading down and getting McGlinchey but I would be truly sick if we took him at 8.

Me too
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Brian wrote:So they released the draft hats today, and they are pretty terrible. Each team has two of their phrases/mottos/nicknames etc. on them (front and on the inside band), and they didn't even use 'Bear Down'. I get Monsters of the Midway but 'Windy City Football'? I've only seen that used for a failed NSB sister site.

Most of those are hideous. I like the Bears hat but the inside definitely needs to say Bear Down or at least Da Bears. Windy City Football is just plain dumb.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:10 pm

David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
David wrote:

It will be interesting to see if this pushes us into Ridley

I'm damn near positive the Bears will match.

welp, nevermind

wonder if this says anything about how his recovery is going

0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:12 pm

I hope that’s why because I don’t love this on the surface.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:18 pm

0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:24 pm

David wrote:

Was Robinson's injury that much less severe?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:
David wrote:

Was Robinson's injury that much less severe?

Torn ACL only...and according to reports I pulled up from when the injury happened, it was considered a good sign how quickly Robinson was able to have the knee operated on, which was the next day.

I think in Meredith's case, he had his a week or two after the injury.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”