Minor League Predictions Thread

davell
Hall of Fame

Minor League Predictions Thread

Postby davell » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:01 pm

1. Cubs have Ademan and Lange on most prospect lists at the end of the year. Little, Rodriguez(IFA signing) and Amaya make at least one list. System firmly back in middle of the pack territory, as a whole.

2. Maples and Alzolay both pitch some impactful major league innings.

3. De la Cruz gets moved to the pen and shows serious potential as a back end reliever. Expected to be impact guy for 2019.

4. Cubs draft a hitter in the 1st and 2nd round in the draft, pitching with both supplemental picks and thru out the rest of the first 10 rounds.

5. Cubs trade Zagunis and Mills to help come up with the IFA money for Rodriguez.(who gets 3 mill)

6. David Bote gets 100+ ML AB's.

7. Brailyn Marquez is firmly inside our top 10 after the season.

8. Jared Young and Erich Uelmen finish the year in MB and very strongly, at that.

9. Fernando Kelli and Didier Vargas are the 2 guys in Arizona that generate the most buzz.

10. Nelson Velázquez continues to show light tower power, finishing in SB for 30 games.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: Minor League Predictions Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:13 pm

- Ademan shows the same skills he showed last year - contact, surprising power, defense, patience, some baserunning - but is more periphs than outright. He sees a little bit of AA at the very end or if the Smokies make the playoffs.

- Lange sees an uptick in velocity, touches 98 this summer, and also sees some AA towards the end after logging 80+ excellent innings in High A. Both make the BA or MLB.com top 100.

- Amaya's age 19 in A ball looks alot like Austin Hedge's age 19 in A ball

- Jose Gutierrez performs well enough to sneak onto the Cubs' top 30 and sees a little full season ball

- Ricky Tyler Thomas has a better season than Brendon Little

- Cubs get gifted Kumar Rocker on draft day, also land a higher quality HS bat like Joe Gray or Tristan Casas

- Faustino Carrera leads the Emeralds in IP, BB%, and HR%, sees some time with SB

- Josue Huma sneaks onto an AZL Cubs roster and hits

- Three MiL pitchers throw competent innings for the ML club, maybe 100 innings combined
1 x

Donzo
Starter

Postby Donzo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:28 am

Good predictions... It's early, but they all look OK to good.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Over the last several seasons, the Cubs have done a good job of producing legit prospects from out of the woodwork.

In 2015, 10th rounder Ryan Williams went 14-3 with a 2.16 ERA skipping High-A and dominating AA in his 1st full professional season and, of course, who can forget the magical emergence of Willson Contreras who hit .333/.413/.478 with almost as many walks as Ks. Contreras was basically an afterthought to everyone except the late John Arguello at that time. His previous best line was .248/.320/.423 two years earlier in Low-A Kane County.

In 2016, 18th rounder David Bote slashed a surprising .337/.410/.518 for Myrtle Beach, 12th rounder Trevor Clifton had his coming out party and 9th rounder James Farris established himself after allowing 48 hits and 17 walks against 74 Ks in 66 innings in High-A and AA. For those that don't remember, Farris was traded that winter for Eddie Butler.

Last year, unheralded IFA Adbert Alzolay worked his way into our hearts, and the all-but-forgotten Dillon Maples came back from the dead to place himself squarely on the prospect map. I guess you could say Michael Rucker had a mini-breakout, as well.

So... Who's it gonna be this year?

AZ Phil has his money on Eddy Martinez, and I agree. Though less forgotten, Bailey Clark looks like this year's version of Dillon Maples. I also think James Norwood might emerge.

Who are your breakout candidates?
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:44 am

Tyson Miller as a breakout pitching prospect?
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:16 am

CubsWin wrote: Who are your breakout candidates?

From the not very obscure candidates:

Miguel Amaya, Cory Abbott and Erling Moreno (whoops) were my picks.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:37 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Fair enough. Any out of the woodwork, unexpected guys you like?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:37 pm

CubsWin wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Kevonte Mitchell. I've predicted a breakout for him for like 3 straight years, maybe I'll eventually get it right.

I also thought one of the many Latin American middle infielders in A-ball (Narea, Peguero, Monasterio or Perlaza) would separate from the pack and establish themselves as future big league utility guy/2nd division second baseman.

I thought Peyton Remy and Tyler Thomas might break out as a relievers and move quickly through the system. But Remy is stuck in Extended and Thomas is starting for South Bend.

Not sure how out of the woodwork those guys are for your taste.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:39 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
CubsWin wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Kevonte Mitchell. I've predicted a breakout for him for like 3 straight years, maybe I'll eventually get it right.

I also thought one of the many Latin American middle infielders in A-ball (Narea, Peguero, Monasterio or Perlaza) would separate from the pack and establish themselves as future big league utility guy/2nd division second baseman.

I thought Peyton Remy and Tyler Thomas might break out as a relievers and move quickly through the system. But Remy is stuck in Extended and Thomas is starting for South Bend.

Not sure how out of the woodwork those guys are for your taste.

I'd say they all qualify. Mitchell's your raw toolsy prospect who can pop unexpectedly after some years of marinating. Thomas is off to a surprisingly good start as a starter (didn't see that coming) in full season. He was just a 7th rounder. The Cubs of late have had a long list of young, lean, slap-hitting MIFs like you listed of which the only one with a claim to any sort of pedigree would be Perlaza but he's been bad for two years now, so yeah, they all count.

The Cubs have been drafting college control artists with some size the last couple of seasons who could surprise (Robinson, Rucker, Morrison, etc.). Last year's version was 11th rounder Rollie Lacy who is off to a great start this year for South Bend.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:- Ademan shows the same skills he showed last year - contact, surprising power, defense, patience, some baserunning - but is more periphs than outright. He sees a little bit of AA at the very end or if the Smokies make the playoffs.

Yeah, more or less on track.

- Lange sees an uptick in velocity, touches 98 this summer, and also sees some AA towards the end after logging 80+ excellent innings in High A. Both make the BA or MLB.com top 100.

Nope and probably not with the other stuff either

- Amaya's age 19 in A ball looks alot like Austin Hedge's age 19 in A ball

Could end up much better by logging more than the 373 PAs and 96 games Hedges did

- Jose Gutierrez performs well enough to sneak onto the Cubs' top 30 and sees a little full season ball

Nope

- Ricky Tyler Thomas has a better season than Brendon Little

So far, but Little's been pitching better and who knows how these guys handle the second halves of their first full pro seasons. Stats are good at this level too but really they need to stay healthy. That alone is a win for a first year full season slash any pro pitcher, let alone not getting rocked on the mound. Thomas and Alex Lange both hit little bumps as the college seasons ended, both giving up 3 HRs over their last 4 outings, so they have to deal with that.

- Cubs get gifted Kumar Rocker on draft day, also land a higher quality HS bat like Joe Gray or Tristan Casas

He was there for the taking but no, though Brennan Davis/Roederer is close enough to Joe Gray

- Faustino Carrera leads the Emeralds in IP, BB%, and HR%, sees some time with SB

:shrugs:

- Josue Huma sneaks onto an AZL Cubs roster and hits

Yep

- Three MiL pitchers throw competent innings for the ML club, maybe 100 innings combined

Nope. Lots of MiL pitchers have thrown competent innings this year. Maybe that gets to 100 and hopefully because one or two are really good
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”