North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1066 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: CONFIRMED: CUBS GET SOLER!!! 9yrs/30 mill
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:14 am 
Hall of Fame

I figured he was deserving enough of his own thread as he seems like a fairly significant signing for anyone that gets him this off-season. The latest, per Rotoworld:

Quote:
The Nationals, Yankees, Cubs, and Rangers are among teams that have shown interest in 19-year-old Cuban defector Jorge Soler.
People familiar with the situation expect Soler to sign a contract similar to the three-year, $15.5 million deal given to outfielder Leonys Martin in 2011. His potential to hit for power has made him a player that some believe could have more offensive upside than the heavily-scouted Yoenis Cespedes, but Soler would need 800 to 1,000 at-bats in the minor leagues before he's ready, unlike Cespedes, and is not considered an immediate solution.

Count me in as a fan of this idea. Since he arrived, Theo has preached the idea that the Cubs system needs more concrete assets and this seems to be a chance to grab one. I'm curious as to where he would fall were he hypothetically to be in an MLB draft.

Last edited by ctcf on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 14 times in total.

google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: Jorge Soler
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:55 am 
Superstar

We're talking about him a little in the IFA thread over in the minor league forums. No idea where he'd fall into the draft, but he played some games against a Bryce Harper led US squad when they were both 15 and they were evidently the 2 best players on the field by far. He' a big guy, good athlete, good looking swing, with lots of power potential. He's definitely the type of guy we need in the minors. One article I read said he'd probably need 800 at bats or so in the minors, before he's ready. Give him a major league deal, spread the money out some and hope we hit the jackpot. Hell, if we get both him and Cespedes, I'd be happy as hell.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:03 am 
Hall of Fame

davell wrote:
We're talking about him a little in the IFA thread over in the minor league forums. No idea where he'd fall into the draft, but he played some games against a Bryce Harper led US squad when they were both 15 and they were evidently the 2 best players on the field by far. He' a big guy, good athlete, good looking swing, with lots of power potential. He's definitely the type of guy we need in the minors. One article I read said he'd probably need 800 at bats or so in the minors, before he's ready. Give him a major league deal, spread the money out some and hope we hit the jackpot. Hell, if we get both him and Cespedes, I'd be happy as hell.

I'd be ecstatic if we got them both. Those two, Fielder and a SP would be an outstanding off-season in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:57 pm 
All-Star

Can we still sign this guy before the new CBA's international cap goes into effect?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:16 pm 
Superstar

Nah, the league calendar year has already changed. This guy just got boned bigtime.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:44 am 
All-Star

So under the new CBA would Soler (and others like him) be better served playing in Japan until he is 23 and then signing with a MLB team?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:02 am 
Superstar

Yeah, he'd be much better off staying in Cuba until he's 23. But since he's already in the Dominican, I'm not sure he can stop the process at this point. My guess is we'll be hearing quite a bit more on his situation over the next couple of days.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:14 am 
Superstar

If Soler is screwed and is definitely coming over, here's how I hope the Cubs look at this opportunity: If Soler is this talented, to where he was going to get 15 mill or so, now he's only going to get 2.9 mill max under the new rules. I'd give him all of our IFA money, maybe even an extra 100,000 or so, since there is no penalty for that. Then, I'd take the penalty and STILL spend the 2.9 mill on other guys as well. Yeah, you're going to pay double, because of the tax. But, if you were going to do it anyway just on Soler anyway, why not take the penalty so you can add more talent as well? If you spend 6 mill total, you'll get taxed an extra 6 as well, so you're spending 12 altogether. Which is still less than you may have given Soler by himself. The only real downside here is you'd be penalized by not being able to spend more than 250,000 on any player for the following season. That said, you could take the quantity over quality approach for that year, while spending big on a few impact guys this year. If this kid is the real deal, I hope this is the way the Cubs look at it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:13 am 
Hall of Fame

Worth noting from Bleacher Nation:

Quote:
Phil Rogers says Cuban prospect, Jorge Soler (the 19-year-old studly counterpart to 26-year-old Yoenis Cespedes), is expected to sign soon. By my reading of the new CBA, the spending limits on international amateurs doesn’t kick in until next year. If so, young Mr. Soler is going to get paaaaaid.

Is that true about the international spending?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:32 am 
Superstar

Goldstein says Yanks, Rangers, and Phils in that order, as the 3 favorites to sign him. Mike Rizzo said he expects Soler to receive a contract larger than Leonys Martin. Which obviously confuses me, since he's 19. Does this IFA limited spending thing start immediately or not?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:43 pm 
Superstar

Kevin Goldstein answered a tweet of mine about Soler. I asked whether he has immunity from new IFA rules until January 1st and he said he does. Until July actually. So, he's not screwed and I hope we give him whatever it takes.

On a side note, I guess this rule appilies to other IFA as well. For what it's worth, there are still some high profile Dominicans from last July 2nd signing period yet to be signed as well. Could be our last shot at beefing the system up before the new rules take affect. I hope we make a couple of splashes, if this includes those guys as well, and I see no reason why it wouldn't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:18 pm 
Hall of Fame

I know this was posted in the Cespedes thread but given the Goldstein post and signifigance of Soler, I figure I'd give it a bump.

Quote:
Kevin Goldstein @Kevin_Goldstein
Rumors out of the DR today that the Cubs are making a very very big play for Jorge Soler.

Post subject: Re: Cubs make "big play" for Jorge Soler - Goldstein
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:32 pm 
Superstar

SQUEEEEE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:19 pm 
All-Star

Delightful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:49 pm 
Superstar

I truly think our FO plan this offseason has been to get all 3 of these guys. At this point, I'll be very surprised if we don't get at least 2 of them. If we get Cespedes though, I could see a team go crazy and give Soler crazy as hell money, partly to block us from totally dominating this market.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 pm 
Hall of Fame

davell wrote:
I truly think our FO plan this offseason has been to get all 3 of these guys. At this point, I'll be very surprised if we don't get at least 2 of them. If we get Cespedes though, I could see a team go crazy and give Soler crazy as hell money, partly to block us from totally dominating this market.

Given how Goldstein phrased it, it sounds like the Cubs might already be there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:23 pm 
Formerly West Side Rooter

davell wrote:
Goldstein says Yanks, Rangers, and Phils in that order, as the 3 favorites to sign him. Mike Rizzo said he expects Soler to receive a contract larger than Leonys Martin. Which obviously confuses me, since he's 19. Does this IFA limited spending thing start immediately or not?

Haha, I thought this was a new thread and became disheartened when I skimmed through and saw this.

Post subject: Re: Cubs make "very, very big play" for Jorge Soler - Goldst
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:25 pm 
5-Time All-Star

YES \:D/, really wanted to get Soler this offseason

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:28 pm 
All-Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:09 pm 
All-Star

Any time you can get a guy who would probably be the consensus top prospect in our system (if him ranking in the 10-20 top 100 range is true), without giving up a draft pick, then you have to go all out for it. Let's hope.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:52 pm 
All-Star

davell wrote:

No other team with competent management is going to change their offer to Soler based upon where two other guys signed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:54 pm 
All-Star

This really applies to both threads:
Quote:
And on Sunday, two National League sources believe the Cubs are not seriously in the mix for Cespedes.

The buzz in the industry is Chicago’s focus is on 19-year-old Cuban sensation, Jorge Soler, who has yet to be ruled a free agent. The figure the Cubs are believed to be willing to spend on Soler (according to two sources) is $27.5 million. The number of years is not known.

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/2012/02/1 ... ontrunner/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:02 pm 
Hall of Fame

RammyFanny wrote:
This really applies to both threads:
Quote:
And on Sunday, two National League sources believe the Cubs are not seriously in the mix for Cespedes.

The buzz in the industry is Chicago’s focus is on 19-year-old Cuban sensation, Jorge Soler, who has yet to be ruled a free agent. The figure the Cubs are believed to be willing to spend on Soler (according to two sources) is $27.5 million. The number of years is not known.

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/2012/02/1 ... ontrunner/

Strategy makes sense to me. On another note, you think MLB could spring for blogs that don't look like they came from the 90s.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 pm 
Superstar

davearm2 wrote:
davell wrote:

No other team with competent management is going to change their offer to Soler based upon where two other guys signed.

True. The problem with that is the "competent management". That only applies to probably half of baseball.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:07 pm 
Formerly West Side Rooter

Does the whole not yet ruled a free agent business mean that it could be quite some time before Soler signs with anyone?

google adsense
Post details
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1066 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next