North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: How Far Are the Cubs From a NL Central Crown?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:49 am 
All-Star

Backtobanks wrote:
dew wrote:
davell wrote:
If we're hanging around, we can buy, instead of sell. May very well be the case. But, I like the fact they've stuck to their guns about not compromising the future for the present. I know it's possible to have put a better team on the field in 2012, but they want to put a perennial 90 win team out there and if they think it's better to build this way instead of adding longterm commitments immediately, I trust them.

Even in this awful division I doubt we'll be hanging around by the ASB, unless we get really, really lucky with a few guys.

We've had this debate before, but I just don't see why a perennial 90-win team and fielding a competitive team this year is an either/or proposition. You can do both. I have no doubt this plan will work, I just don't see how it was the optimal plan. Especially now that the Cards and Reds have taken a couple of pretty big blows.

I've agreed with you everytime you've made this point and I agree with you now. I'm disappointed not only that we're blowing off this year, but also giving the other teams time to reload by the time we're ready to compete. Also, we're coming off a winter where the Red Sox and Yankees pretty much stayed out of the free agent market, something that probably won't happen when we need to go after a FA or 2.

With the exception of a few pieces, total roster turnover is necessary. There are too many holes right now, and we don't have the resources available to compete at a high level right now by spending. Prince Fielder is not going to make you a contender five years from now, he's a right now sort of signing. You only make that kind of signing if you're close enough where you think it puts you over the top, not if you think it will put you into contention.

google adsense
Post details
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:49 am 
All-Star

Treymon wrote:
Elrhino wrote:
I keep thinking the age of last year's top end free agents was a problem, which is why Theo kept repeating that he was looking to add free agents in their prime years. Especially if you were skeptical of Pujols actual age. Beltran, Aramis, Rollins, Cuddyer, etc. were all in or approaching their mid-30s. Reyes and Fielder were the only high end free agents in their primes, and they both carried unique injury/body type issues.

hopefully next year all the free agents are like 23

Or how about 30 instead of 34?

I know, these are highly controversial statements. Chum's in the water. Begin the NSBB groupthink feeding frenzy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:55 am 
Hall of Fame

NeifiIsMyHomeBoy wrote:
where you think it puts you over the top, not if you think it will put you into contention.

Non-freaking-sense. Contention is all you can ask for. There is no "over the top". You contend now and build to be better in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:58 am 
Starter

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Treymon wrote:
Elrhino wrote:
I keep thinking the age of last year's top end free agents was a problem, which is why Theo kept repeating that he was looking to add free agents in their prime years. Especially if you were skeptical of Pujols actual age. Beltran, Aramis, Rollins, Cuddyer, etc. were all in or approaching their mid-30s. Reyes and Fielder were the only high end free agents in their primes, and they both carried unique injury/body type issues.

hopefully next year all the free agents are like 23

But they won't have a long enough proven track record to justify signing. All free agents should be 25.5 and only sign 4 year contracts.

Well damn. Missed out on Yoenis Cespedes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:04 am 
Hall of Fame

with 2 team options

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:18 pm 
Hall of Fame

NeifiIsMyHomeBoy wrote:
With the exception of a few pieces, total roster turnover is necessary. There are too many holes right now, and we don't have the resources available to compete at a high level right now by spending. Prince Fielder is not going to make you a contender five years from now, he's a right now sort of signing. You only make that kind of signing if you're close enough where you think it puts you over the top, not if you think it will put you into contention.

Roster turnover does not necessarily equal tanking one or more seasons. We could have made every move we made this offseason and still have justified adding one or more of Pujols/Cespedes/Darvish. You don't just add major free agents when you're on the brink of being great, you add major free agents to make your team better. Right now, short of splurging unwisely on FA pitchers next year, I don't really see any way we compete next year. Had we signed Pujols (or Darvish or Cespedes), it'd be a much more realistic thought to compete next year.

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
-George Mason

google adsense
Post details