random rants

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: random rants

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Banedon wrote:This is very much a first world problem, but today is a really stupid day to be at work.

Christmas should be the fourth Friday of December instead of December 25
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Derwood wrote:
Banedon wrote:This is very much a first world problem, but today is a really stupid day to be at work.

No way. Baby Jesus was born on December 25th, not the fourth Friday of December.

It is known.
1 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Derwood wrote:

Yes, making Christmas always on a Friday is sure to stop the problem of having to work the day before.
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:51 pm

counterpoint: If you have a limited number of vacation days, wasting one on a day like this is kind of a bummer.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:42 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Yes, making Christmas always on a Friday is sure to stop the problem of having to work the day before.

Monday then, whatever. Christmas on a Tuesday is dumb.

Then again, people have to work the day after Thanksgiving, so everything is awful
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Derwood wrote:Then again, people have to work the day after Thanksgiving, so everything is awful

More and more retail companies are making people work on Thanksgiving now too.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:03 am

We went to my in-laws tonight for Christmas Eve dinner. I was putting the finishing sear on a prime rib roast when there was a knock on the door. Apparently their neighbor across the street didn't see my car when backing up and crunched up the driver's side front quarter panel. Merry Christmas! I haven't even gotten the license plates for my car yet.

Coincidentally, when I bought my previous car, I took it over there to show my in-laws. As I was leaving, the woman who (at that time) lived across the street from them didn't see me and took out the whole left side of my car by cutting the corner to sharply. About 6 months ago she sold the house to the current owner, who just hit me. There's something about the residents of that house and my new cars. At least this time the damage is cosmetic. Last time I wondered if it was totaled.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:07 pm

Obviously they should have looked, but were you parked across from their driveway? There's people that do that all the time to us and it's a huge pet peeve.
1 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Banedon wrote:Obviously they should have looked, but were you parked across from their driveway? There's people that do that all the time to us and it's a huge pet peeve.

So during a time where there may be loads of cards on a street, you can't park across the street from a driveway?
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:14 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Banedon wrote:Obviously they should have looked, but were you parked across from their driveway? There's people that do that all the time to us and it's a huge pet peeve.

So during a time where there may be loads of cards on a street, you can't park across the street from a driveway?

Well yeah, if there's no other choice, then you have to do what you have to do. I'll clarify my pet peeve is that we have folks do that near us year round, in a small neighborhood with other, not-across-from-a-driveway spots available.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:44 pm

blame the victim much?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Banedon wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

Well yeah, if there's no other choice, then you have to do what you have to do. I'll clarify my pet peeve is that we have folks do that near us year round, in a small neighborhood with other, not-across-from-a-driveway spots available.

I try and stay away from the suburbs as much as possible, but when I do visit I definitely think long and hard about where I'm parking if it's on a street. A couple friends live on streets with pretty steep driveways and I always assume the neighbors will plow into any car down there.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:00 pm

our “street” dead ends right outside our driveway and has a nice white fence to mark the end. our neighbor had a bad habit of parking across from our driveway, which due to the angle makes it a HUGE pain in the ass to back out of our driveway. so I did what everyone should do. I bought a no parking sign on amazon and put that up where the neighbors used to park
2 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Yeah, I was. It's a wide street though, with room for parking on both sides of the street. I guess I never really thought about that as being a problem, since it's a legal parking spot. Out of curiosity, why is it a pet peeve? It doesn't seem like it should take that much room to back out.
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:24 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

blame the victim much?

I didn't really take it as blaming me. Pet peeves aren't always rational or reasonable. Or they make sense if you understand the person's perspective, but would never occur to a 3rd party.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:49 pm

Bluescale wrote:

Yeah, I was. It's a wide street though, with room for parking on both sides of the street. I guess I never really thought about that as being a problem, since it's a legal parking spot. Out of curiosity, why is it a pet peeve? It doesn't seem like it should take that much room to back out.

So for us it a number of factors:

1) Our street is pretty narrow relative to a lot of subdivision streets, so at least for us, if we're not paying attention (early morning/evening, dark out, maybe windows are frosted over) it can be more problematic for us. If there's ice or snow on the ground it can also complicate things. My wife and I have each backed into a car parked across the street once during the 12 years that we've lived in our current house, though fortunately neither case resulted in damage.

2) We have a two car garage that we can't fit two cars in. So one of our cars sits on the driveway all the time. That can make the angle of pulling the other car in and out pretty tough when there's a car parked across the street.

3) We've had people park over there and leave it there for a week or more at a time, which just compounds the frustration.

And I get that none of this seems like it's a huge deal. It's really probably not...like I said...it's just nuisance/pet peeve kinda stuff. It's obviously not your fault that someone wasn't paying attention backing out. And it sucks hard to get a new car hit.
1 x

Return to “Rants”