Cubs TV broadcast rights

BigSlick
Superstar

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby BigSlick » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:43 pm

I just believe in an alternate viewpoint, like the fact that I want the entirety of human civilization to collapse and the earth to burn to cinders
1 x
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:21 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubs Fan Dan wrote:Who cares about all of this. Give the cubs $$$ to sign Harper, I’ll watch them on Univision!

What is the perceived negative connotation about Univision to which you are referring?

He made no reference to any connotation whatsoever. He’s saying, “I don’t care what network they are on if it provides the finances to sign Harper.”
1 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:37 pm

With idiots both new and old coming out of the woodwork lately, will rawdog show up when he's truly needed?
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:43 pm

javy knows my name wrote:With idiots both new and old coming out of the woodwork lately, will rawdog show up when he's truly needed?

You’re invoking the biggest idiot of them all?
0 x

Cubs Fan Dan
Starter

Postby Cubs Fan Dan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:50 am

Bull wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubs Fan Dan wrote:Who cares about all of this. Give the cubs $$$ to sign Harper, I’ll watch them on Univision!

What is the perceived negative connotation about Univision to which you are referring?

He made no reference to any connotation whatsoever. He’s saying, “I don’t care what network they are on if it provides the finances to sign Harper.”

This,
No underlying meaning. I was simply joking about caring more about cubs winning versus understanding the broadcast language or the propoganda spewed there the network. People need to stop digging into simple statements to provoke further meaning or explanation. I’d prefer to have my head burried in the sand and enjoy baseball taking me away from the daily routine.

Sorry if offended, absolutely no meaning to it.
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:45 am

Cubs Fan Dan wrote:People need to stop digging into simple statements to provoke further meaning or explanation.

It's the offseason, and the Cubs haven't done squat. Everyone is cranky.
1 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Bluescale wrote:
Cubs Fan Dan wrote:People need to stop digging into simple statements to provoke further meaning or explanation.

It's the offseason, and the Cubs haven't done squat. Everyone is cranky.

NO, YOU'RE CRANKY YOU SLIMEBALL PIECE OF horsefeathers
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 pm

1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:33 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:37 pm

Banedon wrote:

Apparently the Blackhawks announcement of this deal says that NBCSN will now be the "exclusive regional home for all regular season games, pre-season/spring training, and the first round of the post-season coverage for the Bulls and Blackhawks."

So no more WGN for Hawks and Bulls from the sounds of it.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:02 pm

Banedon wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Apparently the Blackhawks announcement of this deal says that NBCSN will now be the "exclusive regional home for all regular season games, pre-season/spring training, and the first round of the post-season coverage for the Bulls and Blackhawks."

Wonder what the White Sox presence will still be on WGN. Outside of the month of April, how often will they need to share coverage on another network if they arent sharing with the Cubs too?
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:14 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Wonder what the White Sox presence will still be on WGN. Outside of the month of April, how often will they need to share coverage on another network if they arent sharing with the Cubs too?

I wasn't able to locate information about the White Sox current deal with WGN, because I was wondering the same.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 pm

https://www.bleachernation.com/2019/01/ ... ack-there/

If they're charging $6 a month I better be seeing Bryce Harper on there
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Brian wrote:https://www.bleachernation.com/2019/01/03/pundit-suggests-a-6-per-month-fee-for-a-new-cubs-network-theres-actually-a-lot-to-unpack-there/

If they're charging $6 a month, I can't imagine the dominant cable providers in Chicago (Comcast and RCN) will pick up the network, right? If they do it will be a pretty big standoff. Will the Cubs offer the channel to streaming providers for a separate fee?
0 x
Win it for Fred

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:09 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Brian wrote:https://www.bleachernation.com/2019/01/03/pundit-suggests-a-6-per-month-fee-for-a-new-cubs-network-theres-actually-a-lot-to-unpack-there/

If they're charging $6 a month, I can't imagine the dominant cable providers in Chicago (Comcast and RCN) will pick up the network, right? If they do it will be a pretty big standoff. Will the Cubs offer the channel to streaming providers for a separate fee?

That’s a good question about streaming providers, I’d like to know that too. I mean if you’re in market idk why you couldn’t get it through a YouTube TV or something. Anyways I think the article nailed it on how the Cubs think they can play it with the $6 fee, assuming Sinclair is the partner.

The Cubs do have an ace in the hole, though. Because Sinclair is the largest operator of local networks in the country, they could wield significant leverage against any provider that doesn’t want to pay the Cubs’ RSN price: either you carry the Cubs channel at $6 per month in the greater Chicago area, or we cut off your access to your local ABC/FOX/NBC/CBS stations owned by Sinclair. It’s a cudgel Sinclair used before in getting the carriage it wanted for the Tennis Channel after it purchased that network in 2016. (Notably, Sinclair does not currently own any local providers in Chicago – they tried to buy WGN-9 recently, but were blocked – but they do own stations in downstate Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, and Indiana. Plus, there’s nothing to say they couldn’t leverage stations in other markets if they wanted to be really aggressive.)
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

That’s a good question about streaming providers, I’d like to know that too. I mean if you’re in market idk why you couldn’t get it through a YouTube TV or something. Anyways I think the article nailed it on how the Cubs think they can play it with the $6 fee, assuming Sinclair is the partner.

The Cubs do have an ace in the hole, though. Because Sinclair is the largest operator of local networks in the country, they could wield significant leverage against any provider that doesn’t want to pay the Cubs’ RSN price: either you carry the Cubs channel at $6 per month in the greater Chicago area, or we cut off your access to your local ABC/FOX/NBC/CBS stations owned by Sinclair. It’s a cudgel Sinclair used before in getting the carriage it wanted for the Tennis Channel after it purchased that network in 2016. (Notably, Sinclair does not currently own any local providers in Chicago – they tried to buy WGN-9 recently, but were blocked – but they do own stations in downstate Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, and Indiana. Plus, there’s nothing to say they couldn’t leverage stations in other markets if they wanted to be really aggressive.)

Are the Cubs even allowed to offer the channel to streaming providers and then streamed locally in Chicago or will that be blacked out?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:03 am

Wilson A2000 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Are the Cubs even allowed to offer the channel to streaming providers and then streamed locally in Chicago or will that be blacked out?

It should be allowed in market but idk for sure. Like if your team has a Fox Sports regional deal/network you can stream games in market if you subscribe to the Fox Sports channel through a provider. I will watch Cubs-Brewers games this way as I get FS Wisconsin through my cable provider and I stream their games in market through the Fox Sports App on my phone if I’m not home and like out golfing or somewhere that doesn’t have a game on when a game is going on or I will pull up the Brewers on my phone to see what’s going on if I have the Cubs game on my TV through MLBTV.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:13 pm

This might be a problem related to Cubs

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 pm

More larger?
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:41 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:More larger?

the more largest
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:13 pm

2 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:03 pm

0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:38 am

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:More larger?

the more largest

Bigly
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:41 pm

0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”