2019 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: 2019 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 08, 2019 12:13 am

I think most of the college hitters we’ll see mocked to the Cubs end up going before 27. The college bats I think will be off the board (at least as of 5/7):

Rutschman
Bleday
Vaughn
Bishop
Stott
Langeliers
Jung
Busch
Shewmake
Davidson
Wyatt

Maybe two or more:

Wilson
Strumpf
Jones
Mendoza
Wendzel
Toglia
Stowers
Quintana
Cannon
Schunk
Hoese
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 08, 2019 4:26 pm

Does Logan Wyatt have the ability to play anywhere other than 1b? Is a swing change needed to reach his power potential?

Kiley McDaniel: Louisville 1B Logan Wyatt had some day one buzz over the off-season and early spring, but has fallen off a lot, hasn't tapped into the power but it's also 5 raw power, so there wasn't much to begin with. I didn't like the look I got at Clemson and sounds like he's more 4th-5th round at this point.

——

Is Michael Toglia back in the discussion for the top half of the first round?

Kiley McDaniel: Had the look and the Cape to be that guy, has not been good this spring and even as he's playing a bit better, no one seems too eager to pop him high. I would guess late first to early second
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Michael Busch's swing (slo-mo):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwAHFyAgyzp/

Braden Shewmake's swing (slo-mo):
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwrf7cOALp9/
This is from Fangraphs' official Instagram account. Lots of good video of prospects on there.

So definitely different swings for these two players, but they're both productive hitters. Shewmake looks a little bit goofy in his swing, but the dude hits for a good average and rarely strikes out. Busch has the superior swing (and way more power) and you can see the difference.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 09, 2019 11:27 pm

27. Chicago Cubs | Daniel Espino, RHP, Georgia Premier Academy
Perhaps the owner of the most tantalizing stuff in all of the draft, Espino will show a fastball in the high-90s, a plus slider and the makings of two other quality off-speed pitches at his best. Concerns about his mechanical profile and his command (not control) projection push him down the board a bit, but there’s no questioning how good the stuff is at peak.

Maybe I should stop posting their mock drafts because I seriously doubt the Cubs (and their scouts) are targeting a HS pitcher with their 1st round pick. It doesn't fit their MO. A bunch of good hitters are still available: Shewmake, Wilson and Hoese (who I don't really like).

Espino has incredible stuff, but the track record of young HS pitchers throwing this hard this early in their careers is bad and very troubling. He doesn't have the cleanest pitching mechanics either with a long arm-action before delivering the pitch.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 10, 2019 11:33 am

27. Cubs: Braden Shewmake, SS, Texas A&M

Theo Epstein and company almost always goes college in the first round, and have grabbed hitters in four of the last five Drafts. With Nico Hoerner tearing it up in the Minors, having them go back up the middle makes some sense.

Good choice again. It's the same as Jim Callis in the first one.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Regular Show wrote:
27. Chicago Cubs | Daniel Espino, RHP, Georgia Premier Academy
Perhaps the owner of the most tantalizing stuff in all of the draft, Espino will show a fastball in the high-90s, a plus slider and the makings of two other quality off-speed pitches at his best. Concerns about his mechanical profile and his command (not control) projection push him down the board a bit, but there’s no questioning how good the stuff is at peak.

Maybe I should stop posting their mock drafts because I seriously doubt the Cubs (and their scouts) are targeting a HS pitcher with their 1st round pick. It doesn't fit their MO. A bunch of good hitters are still available: Shewmake, Wilson and Hoese (who I don't really like).

Yeah, I see an extremely small chance of that happening.

I can't make up my mind on Hoese. I've seen some video and I don't love the swing, but it's not horrendous. Wilson is my least favorite out of those 3. He doesn't make enough contact.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 10, 2019 9:15 pm

New BA mock: https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... ock-draft/

Kameron Misner Missouri OF

Notes:
Misner is a bit of a conundrum after starting the season strong but struggling mightily in conference play (.218/.358/.322 with a 32 percent strikeout rate). He’s been too passive and the strikeouts are concerning, particularly for a player who missed a chunk of last spring and the summer with a foot injury. But his tools stack up with Bishop’s, even if his performance does not. The Cubs should be as equipped as any organization to figure Misner out.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 10, 2019 9:16 pm

Reminds me a bit of how 19 YO DSL performers just don’t pan out aside from Miguel Tejada. Since there’s always the shot the Cubs end up picking among top HS talents if/when there’s a run on college bats, I would prefer to avoid Baty.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 10, 2019 10:10 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:New BA mock: https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... ock-draft/

Notes:
Misner is a bit of a conundrum after starting the season strong but struggling mightily in conference play (.218/.358/.322 with a 32 percent strikeout rate). He’s been too passive and the strikeouts are concerning, particularly for a player who missed a chunk of last spring and the summer with a foot injury. But his tools stack up with Bishop’s, even if his performance does not. The Cubs should be as equipped as any organization to figure Misner out.

I'd be okay with this selection. The tools are all elite (except the hit tool obviously) and he has a chance to stick in CF. I'd hope the Cubs' coaches and instructors could help improve his swing and unlock his full potential. If he was hitting in conference play there is NO way we have a chance at him.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Fri May 10, 2019 11:20 pm

Regular Show wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:New BA mock: https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... ock-draft/

Notes:

I'd be okay with this selection. The tools are all elite (except the hit tool obviously) and he has a chance to stick in CF. I'd hope the Cubs' coaches and instructors could help improve his swing and unlock his full potential. If he was hitting in conference play there is NO way we have a chance at him.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. For me hit tool is the single most important one and needed to play up the others. Unrelated, but damn Carter's stock is in free fall after going 8th last year.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat May 11, 2019 3:38 am

Yeah, I see alot of holes with the Cubs picking Misner. He’s nothing like the college hitters they have taken up top with the injuries and inconsistency plus no CCL. There’s shades of Brett Jackson in the profile with a little Bobby Brownlie as a pre injured big name faller coming off a down year.

——

Two off radar guys who loosely fit the college position player profile the Cubs have drafted first are Davis Wenzel (MLB.com’s #47) and Cameron Cannon (also top 100 on MLB.com). Both are multi year hitters who played in the CCL, though neither has the power even Hoerner had. I like Wendzel a little more as he is more versatile defensively and hit a little more in college. Neither is a player I’d take at 27, Cannon sounds like Hoerner lite, but would be nice in round 2 if they go off script in round 1
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 11, 2019 4:47 am

Tryptamine wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. For me hit tool is the single most important one and needed to play up the others. Unrelated, but damn Carter's stock is in free fall after going 8th last year.

Yeah, a 32% strikeout rate in the SEC is scary. What type of contact is he going to make in pro baseball?
0 x

Edith Cox
Starter

Postby Edith Cox » Sat May 11, 2019 7:54 am

Misner would be a steal at 27 with his power, speed and defense. I feel his bad SEC numbers are due to him being on a island with no help in the Missouri order and having to expand his zone to have any shot to help his team who doesn't have much surrounding him, and being a bit behind after missing so much SEC play in 2018.

For us to have any shot to get impact we have to roll the dice on distressed assets like we did last year with guys who slipped due to injury or poor play. And people would be falling all over themselves if they had a shot at Misner a few months ago who opened at 11 on MLB's list before falling to 19th. I doubt he will still be there at 27 as his tools and make up stand out too much, but if he's there I would be way too hard to pass on him.
0 x

Edith Cox
Starter

Postby Edith Cox » Sat May 11, 2019 5:18 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Yeah, I see alot of holes with the Cubs picking Misner. He’s nothing like the college hitters they have taken up top with the injuries and inconsistency plus no CCL

He didn't play in the Cape Cod League but he went to the NECBL in 17 and posted a line of .378/.479/.652/1.131 which was good enough to lead the league in hitting, his 8 HR were tied for 8th so he's had success with wood bats. Here is the write up PG had on him being their top prospect of the league.

1. Kameron Misner, of, Newport (Missouri/SO in 2018)
Coming out of Poplar Bluff High School in 2016 Misner was ranked No. 270 by Perfect Game and ultimately heard his name called by the Kansas City Royals in the 33rd round following his senior year. The Tigers coaching staff was glad he turned down the opportunity to play professional baseball out of high school as he hit .282-7-34 with 12 doubles as a freshman before heading to Newport for the summer. With the Gulls Misner put his vast array of tools and overall physicality on display, helping to tab him as the top prospect on this list while also earning the league’s Rookie of the Year award. Hitting out of the leadoff position for most of the summer, the lefthanded swinging, 6-foot-4, 220-pound Misner put together a season to remember and one you don’t typically see from a player just off his first collegiate season. Not only did Misner lead the entire league in hitting with a .378 average over 135 regular season at-bats, but he saw an improvement in his overall approach at the plate as he walked seven more times than he struck out in the NECBL compared to his 2-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio this past spring in Columbia. His overall swing mechanics are advanced as described by opposing coaches with the type of bat speed that matches his physicality and power at the plate which plays to all fields. He’s a threat on the bases and has the type of speed to beat out a ground ball in the infield, along with an above average arm in the outfield, allowing him to play any of the three positions. It was a banner year for Misner in Newport and Missouri fans are hoping he can replicate the success again this upcoming season.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:10 pm

Law has us taking the 1B, Busch, from UNC in his mock, fwiw. The bat seems solid but unless they think he can play OF I’d rather take someone else.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:11 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Yeah, I see alot of holes with the Cubs picking Misner. He’s nothing like the college hitters they have taken up top with the injuries and inconsistency plus no CCL. There’s shades of Brett Jackson in the profile with a little Bobby Brownlie as a pre injured big name faller coming off a down year.

That's exactly the vibe I got from Misner as well. His contact has absolutely cratered in SEC play.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 14, 2019 12:36 am

Edith Cox wrote:Misner would be a steal at 27 with his power, speed and defense. I feel his bad SEC numbers are due to him being on a island with no help in the Missouri order and having to expand his zone to have any shot to help his team who doesn't have much surrounding him, and being a bit behind after missing so much SEC play in 2018.

For us to have any shot to get impact we have to roll the dice on distressed assets like we did last year with guys who slipped due to injury or poor play. And people would be falling all over themselves if they had a shot at Misner a few months ago who opened at 11 on MLB's list before falling to 19th. I doubt he will still be there at 27 as his tools and make up stand out too much, but if he's there I would be way too hard to pass on him.

Welcome to the Board!

I'm assuming you've seen a lot of Kameron Misner and wanted to chip in here. If you watch a lot of Mizzou games please contribute on what you see in games. What do you think of LHP TJ Sikkema?

----

So in regards to Misner, at the beginning of the season I heard and read really good things about him and figured the Cubs had no shot at him. Great tools in a great frame with really good instincts. Makeup was also considered outstanding. It seems like the main problem is the swing-and-miss of late and downturn in performance.

Just to be clear, I also consider the Hit tool the most important one for a position player. The Hit tool is also the hardest one to project accurately for most prospects. From watching video and BP, his swing seems fine mechanically and the raw power is obvious. He starts with a slightly open stance before taking a small stride forward and closing it up. I don't see a hitch or any holes in his swing, but I'd have to watch many games to determine if there was a hole(s) in the swing. Pretty well-balanced with good hands. Approach seems fine at the plate.

Looking at his stats and the overall line is pretty good, but he was performing at higher level during his sophomore season. The strikeout rate is too high at almost 22%, but he draws a lot of walks as well (52 BBs against 52 SOs). Amazing basestealer and that should translate to the Pros. The strikeouts are alarming and you wonder about how he'll do against upper level pitching. I don't know if he's susceptible to good breaking pitches/changeups, or has problems identifying spin...

This is where it's really important to have high level scouts and area crosscheckers come in and try to figure out what is happening. Is he pressing? Is he having problems mechanically with his swing breaking down? Is he injured? Is this a potential long-term problem with upper level pitchers exposing him a la Brett Jackson?

I don't know the answer, but I think it's important to take a chance on great athletes with rare tools occasionally. Sometimes you hit on them or they make adjustments and become refined and move quickly. I remember reading an article about how scouts missed on Giancarlo Stanton and how many scouts thought he had no chance to make it to the Pros (too big/too long a swing and a serious problem with SOs). I have other college hitters (and some HS hitters) rated higher now and I'm sure the Cubs do as well, but we don't know how it will unfold on draft day. If Misner is available and the Cubs take a chance on him I wouldn't mind this selection if other advanced hitters are gone.

Misner might not hit for a great average/high-OBP, but he should hit for good power with solid defense in CF (there are questions about the defensive fit long-term). We need to remember the Cubs are employing a player with a .245/.286/.349 line right now with a career wRC+ of 92 -- it doesn't take much to be an upgrade in CF.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:58 pm

I really want the high level scouts to be convinced that Greg Jones will hit, so he can be the pick. That speed would be really fun.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Tue May 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Mechanically he's inclined to make contact, there's some uppercut but nothing extreme. It's a combo of being a guess hitter, no protection, and pressing.

I've been burned by 4 tool Of'ers who swing and miss (Kyle Gaedele) and obviously Jackson leaves a bad taste.

I'm not worried about his foot injury but being a 3 outcome hitter (even in the AA level of the SEC) is a serious concern.

I love Malone if he's there, Allan is a shoulder injury waiting to happen with that follow-through, I've seen Priester a couple of times this year and I'm impressed, arm isn't as lively as Foltynewicz, isn't as polished as Odorizzi at this stage but a combo of the two. Reminds me more of Kris Honel. Solid frame. Plus FB and curve, mechanically sound, marginal change.

I was always hesitant with TCU commits.
1 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

CP_414
All-Star

Postby CP_414 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 pm

The new Fangraphs mock has Logan Davidson to the Cubs.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-2-0/
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Tue May 14, 2019 9:13 pm

CP_414 wrote:The new Fangraphs mock has Logan Davidson to the Cubs.

I think the Cubs would be more likely to draft Strumpf (sp?) from UCLA over Davidson.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed May 15, 2019 2:57 am

Davidson has had a few bad Cape Cods/tough time with the wood bat. I don’t see him being the Cubs pick. I like Strumpf too, UK.

Here’s a name I haven’t heard in some time:

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed May 15, 2019 3:13 am

CP_414 wrote:The new Fangraphs mock has Logan Davidson to the Cubs.

Yeah, so when the Cubs are picking in their mock draft they still have Busch, Shewmake, Lugo and Nunez still available. I'd take all those guys over Davidson (who has had problems performing with a wood bat like Raisin said).
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 15, 2019 3:47 am

Wow, I remember really liking Hooper as a HS arm but he just never got it together at UCLA. He couldn’t find the strike zone on the rare occasions he did pitch, then had TJ

I’m sneaky interested in Davidson, but that is relative to my interest in this draft which is way less than previous seasons. Generally he checks the typical boxes as a three year bat first starter with CCL experience. Plus he is a giant toolshed who switch hits and could stick at SS. Somehow despite that very rare and appealing general profile, he is not close to a top of the draft prospect or even a particularly strong college prospect. He’s got the swing and miss issues, never really dominated as a hitter, and struggled in the CCL twice...It really feels like the pre-draft is forcing college bats to the Cubs when all of these guys are at least a little off profile outside of being college hitters.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 15, 2019 5:02 am

Draft season triple slash and K rates of Cubs’ previous first pick college bats under Theo:

Bryant: .329/.493/.820 and 14.6%
Schwarber: .358/.464/.659 and 10.7%
Happ: .369/.492/.672 and 19.4%
Hoerner: .349/.394/.502 and 8.6%

Current lines of college bats that have come up for 27:

Busch: .285/.447/.543 and 13.9%
Shewmake : .307/.360/.462 and 9.6%
Davidson: .300/.415/.595 and 20.3%
Strumpf: .313/.458/.511 and 18.5%
Wilson: .337/.420/.674 and 17.8%
Toglia: .303/.374/.585 and 23.3%
Jones: .341/.487/.525 and 13.8%
Quintana: .330/.464/.605 and 20.5%
Hoese: .406/.498/.831 and 9.1%
Misner: .290/.444/.497 and 22%
Wyatt: .304/.472/.508 and 14.6%

I’m not un-interested in Jones’ fit with the org. He was a well regarded HS recruit, a switch hitting SS probably a little less regarded than Xavier Edwards last year, and is having a breakout year as a draft eligible sophomore. Not sure if he can stick at SS, there was some 2B and CF speculation, but any works if he can bring all these offensive skills he has shown this year (hit, patience, some power, speed) to pro ball. Unlike alot of these guys, he played in the Cape and did alright with a .374 OBP and 20 steals albeit with lots of Ks

Hrubes20 wrote:I really want the high level scouts to be convinced that Greg Jones will hit, so he can be the pick. That speed would be really fun.

Just saw this and have to say I probably agree with this. He seems to fit the mold more than most on paper with the outstanding draft season plus CCL. If the top guys buy into the breakout even if he falls to 27, he may even be the ideal pick
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”