Game of Thrones

Bearded_Beef
bench player

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Bearded_Beef » Thu May 23, 2019 11:41 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Gabrus and Clements talked about a series call The First Law trilogy which I think I will have to check out

Its really, really good. I'd recommend reading the stand alone books that take place in the same world too.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu May 23, 2019 12:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:It's the guy who plays Jaime Lannister dressed like Jaime Lannister sitting and talking to the camera exactly like every behind the scenes cast interview that has ever happened for any show.

I thought it was maybe from the show, and I just didn't remember the scene, but yeah...should've at least realized that was Jamie, Sofa.

My mind is mildly blown that there's someone named "Jamie" on this show.

Look, I am actually intrigued by Bobo Aaron Eckhart's sassy smile and bitchin' hair. If you can assure me he doesn't meet a horrible end, then I might have to finally go back and at least watch a few more episodes.

Bonus points if he goes the full Oz since it's HBO.

Sorry, I forgot you didn't watch the show. It's more understandable considering that.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu May 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:watching sammy sofa act 2 cool for GoT is one of the most consistently baffling things on nsbb

As I've said, sci-fi/fantasy shows usually just don't hook me. It's got nothing to do with me inexplicably trying to not like it, because that would be just be weird and pointless.

Don’t you have 800 posts in the comics thread?
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 23, 2019 1:22 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:watching sammy sofa act 2 cool for GoT is one of the most consistently baffling things on nsbb

As I've said, sci-fi/fantasy shows usually just don't hook me. It's got nothing to do with me inexplicably trying to not like it, because that would be just be weird and pointless.

Don’t you have 800 posts in the comics thread?

Man, I wish that thread had that much activity.

For everyone who is just DYING to know:

I love comic books
Love superhero movies
I tend to enjoy sci-fi movies
Not a fan of fantasy movies
Don't like sci-fi or fantasy books at all
Usually don't like sci-fi or fantasy TV series (classic Star Trek and TNG are the big exceptions)

We contain multitudes!
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu May 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Despite some obvious fantasy influences (dragons!) in GoT, it never felt like a fantasy series to me. The political intrigue far outweighs the fantasy
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu May 23, 2019 1:42 pm

three eyed raven was controlling everything from the beginning

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu May 23, 2019 1:42 pm

Derwood wrote:Despite some obvious fantasy influences (dragons!) in GoT, it never felt like a fantasy series to me. The political intrigue far outweighs the fantasy

Warriors, Priests, Wizards, Thieves/assassins, dragons, magic, monsters...really all that's missing are various races like elves. But we did have a halfling. It's very, very fantasy.
1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu May 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:Despite some obvious fantasy influences (dragons!) in GoT, it never felt like a fantasy series to me. The political intrigue far outweighs the fantasy

Warriors, Priests, Wizards, Thieves/assassins, dragons, magic, monsters...really all that's missing are various races like elves. But we did have a halfling. It's very, very fantasy.

1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Banedon wrote:

Warriors, Priests, thieves and assassins are fantasy?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu May 23, 2019 1:59 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Those are pretty base classes in D&D.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

They exist across loads of genres.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 23, 2019 2:12 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu May 23, 2019 2:16 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Warriors, Priests, thieves and assassins are fantasy?

Sure...that's why I listed more than those things. If you don't like those being included, forget em. Dragons, magic, monsters are probably enough. I just was pointing out the D&D classes were there as well.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 23, 2019 2:19 pm

Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Sure...that's why I listed more than those things. If you don't like those being included, forget em. Dragons, magic, monsters are probably enough. I just was pointing out the D&D classes were there as well.

But the point was, all those most fantastical elements in the show were relatively limited, especially early on. That's why the show was a hit, because it showed humans doing human things and introduced small bits of fantasy along the way.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:15 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:They exist across loads of genres.

But the point was, all those most fantastical elements in the show were relatively limited, especially early on. That's why the show was a hit, because it showed humans doing human things and introduced small bits of fantasy along the way.

And at closing, with Arya sailing away one direction, Drogon flying away the other... The major Lord of Light followers dead... The reanimated brings all dead... We were left with Bran/TER as the only mysticism left right?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 23, 2019 4:17 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

And at closing, with Arya sailing away one direction, Drogon flying away the other... The major Lord of Light followers dead... The reanimated brings all dead... We were left with Bran/TER as the only mysticism left right?
also the fantasy that people of the reach would accept bronn as the lord of highgarden
5 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu May 23, 2019 4:21 pm

knifed in the heart Jon, though you can lump him in with Arya/Drogon as gone off in a 3rd direction
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 pm

4 days later and I'm still mostly pissed about the mystery of what Davos' wife ever did to deserve this.

GO HOME TO YOUR WIFE AND LIVE THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IN PEACE MAN!
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu May 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Oh, also Giants exist. That's pretty "fantasy".
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Banedon wrote:Oh, also Giants exist.
not anymore
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu May 23, 2019 4:31 pm

Banedon wrote:Oh, also Giants exist. That's pretty "fantasy".

zombie giants for that matter
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu May 23, 2019 4:39 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:4 days later and I'm still mostly pissed about the mystery of what Davos' wife ever did to deserve this.

GO HOME TO YOUR WIFE AND LIVE THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IN PEACE MAN!

even in fictional worlds our heroes turn out to be dead beat husbands and dads

I think he's wanting to get those brothels up and running more than he let on, A Wiki of Ice and Fire on his wife -

She is a plump woman with sagging breasts and a kindly smile.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu May 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

I'd argue the first four seasons are more an analog for the War of the Roses than a Fantasy story. So you'd basically be watching a historical show about warring families in a 15th Century English setting. So it wouldn't be a fantasy story hooking you. What hooked people on GOT was the political intrigue of the feuding houses.

There are certainly fantasy elements sprinkled in, but I'd argue it doesn't become a fully invested Fantasy show until the later seasons. There aren't goblins or wizards with staffs and pointy hats or anything like that. I'm not sure what others on here would say, but aside from the presence of dragons, the fantasy elements in seasons 1-4 take up maybe 15 minutes of screentime. Hell, maybe even less.

You're really doing yourself a major disservice to not watch it. Like I said, just watch the first 4 seasons and then stop. Read the wiki entries for the remaining episodes if you want to know how it ends, but definitely watch seasons 1-4.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu May 23, 2019 4:49 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
not anymore

You don't know what's west of Westeros.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu May 23, 2019 4:50 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
not anymore

You don't know what's west of Westeros.

Essos.

Hell, didn't Euron already sail around the world?
0 x

Return to “Social”