Trade targets 2019

UK
Hall of Fame

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby UK » Wed May 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:I like Giles as a reliever but he seems like a headcase. Also yes, the Astros gave up (what at the time seemed like) a lot to get him and then sold super low to acquire a domestic abuser.

Also:

The Cubs have claimed righty Chandler Shepherd, per Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. Shepherd was designated for assignment by Boston yesterday morning.

He's reporting to AA. He's already 26, has an ERA over 10 in AAA this year and also is being hammered for 16.1 H/9, 3.3 HR/0 and 4.9 BB/9, so I have to ask.........why?

Orioles claimed Shepard. I'm not sure what these teams see in him, but he has been in 3 organizations in a week.

He's a former top 15 prospect in the Sox organization, they switched him to a starter last year because of 4 pitches but he's better off as a fb/sl bullpen arm. Either way at best, he's a marginal arm.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu May 23, 2019 3:57 pm

For the pen, I'd rather save up for a big run at a big arm. Giles is an interesting idea, I guess. Not the name that jumped off the top for me first, but yeah, it would work. For now, I'd rather just try some of the AAA guys that don't have huge ceilings and see if someone can work in the pen - perhaps Matt Swarmer's fastball can play up a bit more and paired with the changeup, he could perhaps be a useful arm.
I'd rather just push all the chips in on a big time pen arm whenever they become available. I think someone like Mychal Givens is going to be ridiculously expensive in this year's trade market, though.

Obviously, if Kimbrel happens, that changes the whole equation and gives us a lot more flexibility.
__

Honestly, if we're talking about a move in the near future ... the Marlins are probably selling, and I wouldn't mind seeing Nick Anderson's K's here and see if things can be tidied up. Seems unlikely they'd deal him right now, as he's still got 5 years of cost control left, but maybe the right combination of young players for the future would convince them. He will be 29 soon. Maybe his early run is a flash, and he'll come down to earth, and if so, maybe they'd like to take the chance to get something decent when they got him on the cheap.
__

As for starting pitching ... I'd rather just see if we can work with Darvish. It's not a money's spent issue - I'm just not sure there's going to be much better for our needs.

Honestly, at this juncture, I'd rather look for a bat more than anything, as the chances of some of the production sliding seems quite high. I'm not sure who is realistic, though. I'm thinking more tinkering around the edges.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:42 am

I’d give up cannolis for life if the Cubs somehow got Joey Gallo
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:08 am

I’ll throw out Niko Goodrum of the Tigers who somewhat intrigues me as bat add, especially if CarGo doesn’t work or they punt Descalso to the moon.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:53 am

Cubswin11 wrote:I’ll throw out Niko Goodrum of the Tigers who somewhat intrigues me as bat add, especially if CarGo doesn’t work or they punt Descalso to the moon.

If the Nationals decide to throw in the towel, Howie Kendrick would be a great addition.
1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:57 pm

With the big fish Kimbrel in hand, I still want to add but my appetite for gutting the farm is severely diminished. I'd try to use the spare parts at MLB/AAA to do any deal. Montgomery, Maples, Happ, etc. If that can still get you a Will Smith, awesome. If instead that resigns you to more of a Shane Green or Tony Watson, so be it.
2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Bertz wrote:With the big fish Kimbrel in hand, I still want to add but my appetite for gutting the farm is severely diminished. I'd try to use the spare parts at MLB/AAA to do any deal. Montgomery, Maples, Happ, etc. If that can still get you a Will Smith, awesome. If instead that resigns you to more of a Shane Green or Tony Watson, so be it.

Despite what the naysayers would have you believe, the Cubs are still in their "window" to win. If you can get some really good piece of the puzzle, and it requires you gutting the farm system to do it...so be it. There's not really that much to gut, is there? Regardless...we don't have any untouchable prospects, imo. World Series now. Worry about the future in the future.
4 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Banedon wrote:
Bertz wrote:With the big fish Kimbrel in hand, I still want to add but my appetite for gutting the farm is severely diminished. I'd try to use the spare parts at MLB/AAA to do any deal. Montgomery, Maples, Happ, etc. If that can still get you a Will Smith, awesome. If instead that resigns you to more of a Shane Green or Tony Watson, so be it.

Despite what the naysayers would have you believe, the Cubs are still in their "window" to win. If you can get some really good piece of the puzzle, and it requires you gutting the farm system to do it...so be it. There's not really that much to gut, is there? Regardless...we don't have any untouchable prospects, imo. World Series now. Worry about the future in the future.

I'd prefer not to have a smoldering crater of a team in 2022 when Bryzzaez have all hit free agency. The farm is looking decent for the first time since the Quintana trade, and the farm will ultimately determine A) How painful the transition from this core to the next is and B) how active we can be the last few offseasons WITH this core, because clearly we're not going to just bully people financially.

If there was a glaring need it would obviously be different, but with Kimbrel in hand there simply isn't unless he sucks or there's a major injury. Given how the rest of the team looks I'd much rather have a C+ trade deadline and be in strong position going into the winter than have some balls out deadline and head into this offseason in a similar position to how we entered the last one.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:35 pm

0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Tayler Scott was a member of our highly touted 2011 draft (5th rounder). He can become the first South African born pitcher in the majors (and this obviously will be his major league debut). Good story.

Haniger's injury is NOT a good story.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:44 pm

Bertz wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I'd prefer not to have a smoldering crater of a team in 2022 when Bryzzaez have all hit free agency. The farm is looking decent for the first time since the Quintana trade, and the farm will ultimately determine A) How painful the transition from this core to the next is and B) how active we can be the last few offseasons WITH this core, because clearly we're not going to just bully people financially.

If there was a glaring need it would obviously be different, but with Kimbrel in hand there simply isn't unless he sucks or there's a major injury. Given how the rest of the team looks I'd much rather have a C+ trade deadline and be in strong position going into the winter than have some balls out deadline and head into this offseason in a similar position to how we entered the last one.

The team will be a dumpster fire in 2022 regardless of who we trade today. Nobody should be safe in the farm system. Trade whatever you need, and keep that mindset through the entire window. Odds of replicating this offensive core ever again are slim to none.
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:32 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

That's nuts!
1 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Hunter
Starter

Postby Hunter » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:25 pm

PackLandVA wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

That's nuts!

No, it's one less nut.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:38 pm

Tayler Scott was my dude back before this systen took off, he and LeMahieu. I kinda figured if he made it to the majors that Charlize Theron and I would have a shot, but he took too long and she got a little older

Yes to Goodrum or Kendrick, still want another reliever, would still love to go big
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Deeg
All-Star

Postby Deeg » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:53 am

I like the fact that Kimbrel makes us look a lot less desperate in trade talks, but still no reason not to try and jump the queue for someone like Watson. He's obviously available, won't cost a top prospect and will have a ton of suitors if we wait. Not a super splits guy but still under .600 career OPS against lefties.

I'm adamant not to trade any core prospects now - that was a big part of the reason for signing Kimbrel. The system needs some time to recover. Guys like Watson can be had without trading one of our top guys - Smith probably not.
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:18 pm

Levine just said on The Score that the Giants have had scouts at 5 straight series of ours and have had scouts at games for our minor league affiliates all month. So would assume that means Smith (yes please) or Watson (fine move but kinda half measure).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:39 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Levine just said on The Score that the Giants have had scouts at 5 straight series of ours and have had scouts at games for our minor league affiliates all month. So would assume that means Smith (yes please) or Watson (fine move but kinda half measure).

I'm down for a Will Smith trade as long as it doesn't involve one of our top prospects. I have no clue what Farhan Zaidi and this new SF Giants regime values back in a trade. If he's asking for Miguel Amaya or some prospect of that caliber then no thanks/hard pass.
2 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:40 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Levine just said on The Score that the Giants have had scouts at 5 straight series of ours and have had scouts at games for our minor league affiliates all month. So would assume that means Smith (yes please) or Watson (fine move but kinda half measure).

I'm down for a Will Smith trade as long as it doesn't involve one of our top prospects. I have no clue what Farhan Zaidi and this new SF Giants regime values back in a trade. If he's asking for Miguel Amaya or some prospect of that caliber then no thanks/hard pass.

Absolutely. Amaya, Marquez, Adbert, Davis, Roederer, Nico, Miller, etc are off the table for him (he shouldn’t cost that much). I think Ademan is the highest level guy I’d give for him with some filler. I’m not trading Happ for him either.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Absolutely. Amaya, Marquez, Adbert, Davis, Roederer, Nico, Miller, etc are off the table for him (he shouldn’t cost that much). I think Ademan is the highest level guy I’d give for him with some filler. I’m not trading Happ for him either.

Yeah, I go back and forth on including Ademan and trying to decide when is the best time to trade him. I think we pretty much maximized the right time/peak value of Vogelbach.

Like maybe next year if Ademan is doing well at AA when more teams will buy-in on his stats/performance. I think right now Ademan doesn't have that much value and no one regards him as a Top 100 prospect. Maybe he'll make it at the bottom of Top 100 lists by the end of the year?
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:00 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Absolutely. Amaya, Marquez, Adbert, Davis, Roederer, Nico, Miller, etc are off the table for him (he shouldn’t cost that much). I think Ademan is the highest level guy I’d give for him with some filler. I’m not trading Happ for him either.

Out of curiousity, what has Roederer done to get over Ademan? Seems a little SNTS-y

Miller too, he’s more “good for a 2019 Cubs pitching prospect in that he didn’t immediately get rocked in AA ” than someone they should hold out of trade talks. horsefeathers, Marquez too - guy’s an A ball pitcher and not even all that outstanding once you get past the glam. These are the guys “horsefeathers pitchers” should really kick in! Both are longshots to be studs in any role, neither is 2019 or 2020 ready to just slide onto a WS contender’s staff, both will be valued in the outside world because they’re potentially cheap pitchers who haven’t died doing it yet...Sell high!

I say trade them all for a star or two + another hard throwing and good reliever, but I’d be slowest to give up Alzolay, Hoerner, Amaya, Ademan, and Davis
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:05 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Absolutely. Amaya, Marquez, Adbert, Davis, Roederer, Nico, Miller, etc are off the table for him (he shouldn’t cost that much). I think Ademan is the highest level guy I’d give for him with some filler. I’m not trading Happ for him either.

Out of curiousity, what has Roederer done to get over Ademan? Seems a little SNTS-y

Miller too, he’s more “good for a 2019 Cubs pitching prospect in that he didn’t immediately get rocked in AA ” than someone they should hold out of trade talks. horsefeathers, Marquez too - guy’s an A ball pitcher and not even all that outstanding once you get past the glam. These are the guys “horsefeathers pitchers” should really kick in! Both are longshots to be studs in any role, neither is 2019 or 2020 ready to just slide onto a WS contender’s staff, both will be valued in the outside world because they’re potentially cheap pitchers who haven’t died doing it yet...Sell high!

I say trade them all for a star or two + another hard throwing and good reliever, but I’d be slowest to give up Alzolay, Hoerner, Amaya, Ademan, and Davis

I’d rate Roederer above Ademan mostly because of the positive reports around him and also just the overall org depth on infielders/MIF vs OF’ers. We’ve been over the Marquez stuff, I know you don’t like him. Miller is doing well and we need to develop pitching at some point. None of these guys I’m against trading for the right piece, I’m just against trading them for RPs (especially a rental one like Smith). Find a controlled bat or SP for them in the offseason (which seems more likely than doing it in season for us) and I’m probably cool with moving them.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21 am

Cubswin11 wrote:I’d rate Roederer above Ademan mostly because of the positive reports around him and also just the overall org depth on infielders/MIF vs OF’ers. We’ve been over the Marquez stuff, I know you don’t like him. Miller is doing well and we need to develop pitching at some point. None of these guys I’m against trading for the right piece, I’m just against trading them for RPs (especially a rental one like Smith). Find a controlled bat or SP for them in the offseason (which seems more likely than doing it in season for us) and I’m probably cool with moving them.

I’ve got some serious doubts Miller is key to proving they can develop pitchers with Alzolay in front of him and a growing pool of talent behind him. Even then he can prove it outside the org as well since they’d be selling high here. I dislike Marquez’s performance relative to his hype among the fanbase, just to clarify

For Smith, for sure the pitchers are on the table. Roederer’s kind of the Marquez of hitters in this system, hype outpacing what he’s done for me, so I’d be willing to move him for Smith. I’d love if he carried that kind of trade value as a tentative CF defensive prospect who isn’t hitting this year tbh
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:52 am

Who says no first:

Cubs get: Francisco Lindor, Roberto Perez

Indians get: Contreras, Hoerner, Happ, Marquez, Ademan, Miller, and R. Gallardo

??
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Who says no first:

Cubs get: Francisco Lindor, Roberto Perez

Indians get: Contreras, Hoerner, Happ, Marquez, Ademan, Miller, and R. Gallardo

??

I'm holding back my opinion until I know how the Jets are involved
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts