Addison Russell

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Re: Addison Russell

Postby javy knows my name » Wed May 15, 2019 3:38 pm

champaignchris wrote:That’s precisely the question... good glove/bad bat middle infielders who can backup the starting shortstop are a dime a dozen... so why does it have to be Addison Russell? Why take the publicity hit when there are literally a dozen players who’d happily adequately fill that roll for $2.5MM less per year?

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the Cubs:
a. Think Russell is doing things right off the field in order to be a better person going forward; AND
b. Think Russell can get back to being a starting- to All-Star-quality player.

The Cubs are obviously in better position to know these things than I am, but the early returns in both respects don’t look great.

OR
c. The Ricketts want to pwn the libs.

I'm sticking with it
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed May 15, 2019 4:19 pm

I think the simplest way to say it is that they are invested and "believe in" Russell. They used a big trade chip to get him when he was only in AA, he rewarded them with multiple strong MLB seasons and being a part of the title team. I believe the FO when they say they're interested/invested in the people, and even absent the circumstances I think they hold the core players tighter than is optimal. Schwarber is a less gross example of this, it would've been easy/tempting to trade him at multiple points, but they believe in him being the best version of the player he could be.

As far as the DV stuff goes, part of it is not being able to reconcile the Russell you know and the Russell that did those things, and I think that comes out in how they've approached it. Reading Mooney's article on it this week, it's fairly clear that they've engaged earnestly on the broad issue of domestic violence, and there is logic to trying to be an example of rehabilitation, especially if your primary goal is preventing repeat offenses by that person. But all of that is mostly behind the scenes and doesn't force you to confront the outward message you send when you keep Russell around. It's a lesson they have not learned from Chapman and Murphy, that while we should do our best to rehabilitate those players, they are also avatars for the pain that so many people have experienced. Their bar for keeping those avatars around in the name of rehabilitation has not been near high enough, given the comments that all 3 of Chapman, Murphy, and Russell have made about those issues since being acquired/retained.
4 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed May 15, 2019 4:58 pm

I think there's plenty of motivated reasoning going on with Russell enablers/apologists.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 15, 2019 5:00 pm

What was the "core" of basically untouchable players Theo was talking about at one point? Wasn't it Bryant, Rizzo, Schwarber and Russell?

Yeesh.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Wed May 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:What was the "core" of basically untouchable players Theo was talking about at one point? Wasn't it Bryant, Rizzo, Schwarber and Russell?

Yeesh.

Well, uh, two out of four aint bad

Eek.
0 x
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
BigSlick wrote:I don't even understand the cynical 'baseball-only' side of this. Addison Russell is not a very good baseball player. I don't even think he's better than Javy defensively. Why are they doing this? It makes no sense to me from any angle.

That's my take on the whole thing; like, let's say he turns it around and starts playing well again for a while. How realistic is it to say he's an actual trade asset? His whole rep right now is as an abusive scumbag, so how many teams are going to actually give up anything of value for him?

Yeah, I know teams have been more than happy in the past (including the VERY recent past) to gloss over this type of thing, but it does definitely feel like things have changed and are changing in terms of how fans and the media approach players like this. It seems like complete BS for the Cubs to be trying to shape this like they either want him to be good enough again to be a viable trade chip OR a useful player on the Cubs, because there's essentially no way for him to get out from under the stain (and rightly so) of what he did multiple times. This guy is NEVER going to be of any real value in a trade, and it's a horsefeathering farce for the Cubs to essentially act like he still needs to be on the team along those lines.

A new team could give him a fresh start and fans have a short memory for what players did while with another team (see Murphy, Daniel). His trade value would come from being able to hit. If he can do that, the Cubs will be able to find a taker. That might not be likely but it's still possible considering he plays a defense first position. Is that a good enough reason to keep him around? Certainly not.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:What was the "core" of basically untouchable players Theo was talking about at one point? Wasn't it Bryant, Rizzo, Schwarber and Russell?

Yeesh.

It’s been talked about before, but when really would’ve been the right time to trade Schwarber and/or Russell?? It made no sense to trade Schwarbs after 2015, they thought he could still catch at least ~40 games a year and then he blew his knee out in 2016. He never really had value after that. And Russell (from the baseball side), he was a useful player and had some big moments in the WS run (at 22-23), you don’t trade him after that. Then he just fell off/got hurt/turned in to human garbage and this was still when Javy was a huge unknown on the infield.

We can be upset they didn’t turn out to a better outcome but the window to trade them was small (if it ever existed) and they were probably right at the time to be essentially “untouchable.”
0 x
Screw Pitchers

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:It’s been talked about before, but when really would’ve been the right time to trade Schwarber and/or Russell?? It made no sense to trade Schwarbs after 2015, they thought he could still catch at least ~40 games a year and then he blew his knee out in 2016. He never really had value after that. And Russell (from the baseball side), he was a useful player and had some big moments in the WS run (at 22-23), you don’t trade him after that. Then he just fell off/got hurt/turned in to human garbage and this was still when Javy was a huge unknown on the infield.

Huh? The entire year he was out rehabbing his knee I swear he was the most talked about trade chip in the game. Im pretty sure NYY wanted him for Andrew Miller? I could be misremembering but it feels like that entire season he was hurt every trade leak or rumor involving the Cubs was that AL GMs still wanted him badly.

He didn't really lose his value until the failed leadoff experiment and minor league demotion IMO.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed May 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Yeesh.

Theo has specifically said there's no untouchable players.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:It’s been talked about before, but when really would’ve been the right time to trade Schwarber and/or Russell?? It made no sense to trade Schwarbs after 2015, they thought he could still catch at least ~40 games a year and then he blew his knee out in 2016. He never really had value after that. And Russell (from the baseball side), he was a useful player and had some big moments in the WS run (at 22-23), you don’t trade him after that. Then he just fell off/got hurt/turned in to human garbage and this was still when Javy was a huge unknown on the infield.

Huh? The entire year he was out rehabbing his knee I swear he was the most talked about trade chip in the game. Im pretty sure NYY wanted him for Andrew Miller? I could be misremembering but it feels like that entire season he was hurt every trade leak or rumor involving the Cubs was that AL GMs still wanted him badly.

He didn't really lose his value until the failed leadoff experiment and minor league demotion IMO.

Fair, but even with the benefit of hindsight, that would have been a really bad trade.
1 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Either he had trade value after he blew out his knee or he didnt - I'm not advocating for having traded him back then. Just saying he couldve been moved then for ML pieces if Theo really wanted to when it was implied that he couldnt.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Banedon wrote:

Yeesh.

Theo has specifically said there's no untouchable players.

True, but there was a lot of talk about a "core" of 4 players, and I'm pretty sure that was it....and that's essentially, IMO, saying that those guys were untradeable at the time.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed May 15, 2019 7:06 pm

Yeah, pretty sure Theo talks about it in the book The Cubs Way and implies they wouldnt ever get moved without ever coming out and saying the word "untouchable". He talks about how his plan to win for a number of years was he needed 4 position players as a foundation that he would build/draft/trade around, and that he was able to get those 4 guys (Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber and Russell) earlier than even they expected and was downright giddy about it.
1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:10 am

This horsefeathers going the spray paint hair route is just too perfect.
4 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:36 am

LOL, that's awesome. I hope his ex-wife can laugh and enjoy his brokeass hairline.
2 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:33 am

Brian wrote:This horsefeathers going the spray paint hair route is just too perfect.

If there was true justice in this world this [expletive] would already be bald and suffering from ED.
1 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Brian wrote:This horsefeathers going the spray paint hair route is just too perfect.

If there was true justice in this world this [expletive] would already be bald and suffering from ED.

Well, he's halfway there.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:13 pm

That hair is so poorly done it looks like it was paid for in quarters.
7 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Regular Show wrote:If there was true justice in this world this [expletive] would already be bald and suffering from ED.

We haven't heard of a pregnancy in over a year, so this already may have happened.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:52 pm

25 and already painting his head with shoe polish.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 pm

"Everyone Hates Him"
RESTORE ADDISON
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:12 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Regular Show wrote:If there was true justice in this world this [expletive] would already be bald and suffering from ED.

We haven't heard of a pregnancy in over a year, so this already may have happened.

Didn't he knock up his latest victim girlfriend?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:13 pm

The Logan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Didn't he knock up out his latest victim girlfriend?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:19 pm

The Logan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Didn't he knock up his latest victim girlfriend?

Yes, and they announced it in May of last year, I believe.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:42 pm

0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”