Politics & Current Events

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:09 pm

NOLA wrote:You want to say Biden isn't in touch with today's Democratic Party, fine. I'll agree with you. But right now there is a better than decent chance this guy will be our nominee against Trump, and this is not helping. Democrats learn nothing.

Biden is praising the civility of white supremacists and your problem is with people calling him out?
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:12 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:You want to say Biden isn't in touch with today's Democratic Party, fine. I'll agree with you. But right now there is a better than decent chance this guy will be our nominee against Trump, and this is not helping. Democrats learn nothing.

Biden is praising the civility of white supremacists and your problem is with people calling him out?

Maybe I'm missing the context here, but I did not see that at all. What exactly did Biden say about Eastland?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:14 pm

NOLA wrote:But right now there is a better than decent chance this guy will be our nominee against Trump, and this is not helping. Democrats learn nothing.

It's almost like they're working towards some kind of primary or something. WEIRD.
2 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Regardless of the bigger context, which you appeared to miss, why is there anything wrong with Democrats criticizing other Democrats at this point in time, which is still the beginning of the nomination process? How do you think these Democratic debates should go? Biden is bad, and should not get the nomination, and people pointing out his obvious flaws is a good thing. If he manages to win the nomination, I'll be pissed about it for a while, and then I'll show up and vote for him next November.
2 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:14 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

All the more reason to hate the Electoral College or at least the all or nothing basis of it. The GOP has won the popular vote once since 1992.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:15 pm

NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Maybe I'm missing the context here, but I did not see that at all. What exactly did Biden say about Eastland?

He praised the civility with which they got things done together. It was gross. This was hours after telling a bunch of rich donors that nothing would fundamentally change if he was elected.

Biden is trash.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
NOLA wrote:But right now there is a better than decent chance this guy will be our nominee against Trump, and this is not helping. Democrats learn nothing.

It's almost like they're working towards some kind of primary or something. WEIRD.

I am pumping my brakes on my previous post about de Blasio's tweet as I have not seen anything of that nature from Biden (yet), but there is a difference between attacking Biden's policies, voting record and dumb statements and saying he is cozying up to white supremists.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:19 pm

NOLA wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I am pumping my brakes on my previous post about de Blasio's tweet as I have not seen anything of that nature from Biden (yet), but there is a difference between attacking Biden's policies, voting record and dumb statements and saying he is cozying up to white supremists.

That being...?
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:26 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Biden is praising the civility of white supremacists and your problem is with people calling him out?

He praised the civility with which they got things done together. It was gross. This was hours after telling a bunch of rich donors that nothing would fundamentally change if he was elected.

Biden is trash.

I haven't seen this, but if it is as you say it is, then Biden deserves scorn for it-maybe not in the self-aggrandizing way de Blasio did it, but still.

I HATE being in a position of defending someone I absolutely do not want to be the next POTUS. I don't like the guy at all, but I just don't want to see a repeat of Bernie Bros in 2016 equating anyone from our side of the aisle to Trump. It is just early in the primary and I'm just spitballing between work I should be doing so I'll shut up now.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:43 pm

NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:Maybe I'm missing the context here, but I did not see that at all. What exactly did Biden say about Eastland?

Biden is trash.

I haven't seen this, but if it is as you say it is, then Biden deserves scorn for it-maybe not in the self-aggrandizing way de Blasio did it, but still.

I HATE being in a position of defending someone I absolutely do not want to be the next POTUS. I don't like the guy at all, but I just don't want to see a repeat of Bernie Bros in 2016 equating anyone from our side of the aisle to Trump. It is just early in the primary and I'm just spitballing between work I should be doing so I'll shut up now.

So...instead of, you know, just looking up what happened, you decided to respond to like four or five comments on here, each time essentially doubling down while maintaining ignorance of what we're all talking about?
1 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:30 pm

squally1313 wrote:
NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:He praised the civility with which they got things done together. It was gross. This was hours after telling a bunch of rich donors that nothing would fundamentally change if he was elected.

Biden is trash.

So...instead of, you know, just looking up what happened, you decided to respond to like four or five comments on here, each time essentially doubling down while maintaining ignorance of what we're all talking about?

Well, yeah.

I'm at work and was hoping someone would post a link because I am too busy (lazy) to look it up myself. At least I admitted it in like my second post as opposed to just arguing for arguing sake. I do stand by the notion that once the primaries are over and the general begins, every Dem voter needs to suck it up and get in line to vote.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:33 pm

But the primaries aren't even remotely close to being over, so why are you bemoaning candidates and voters going at it over these guys in June?
1 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:13 pm

NOLA wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
NOLA wrote:I haven't seen this, but if it is as you say it is, then Biden deserves scorn for it-maybe not in the self-aggrandizing way de Blasio did it, but still.

Well, yeah.

I'm at work and was hoping someone would post a link because I am too busy (lazy) to look it up myself. At least I admitted it in like my second post as opposed to just arguing for arguing sake. I do stand by the notion that once the primaries are over and the general begins, every Dem voter needs to suck it up and get in line to vote.

I think the left would be wise to invest in a platform that is inclusive to the progressive movement that motivates Sanders' supporters not just stereotype them as blind sheep/pissed millennials if Sanders doesn't win. While the 30 percent of Sanders' deserve blame for not voting for Clinton, it is of equal or greater blame to solely run on a moderate tone.

Sanders' supporters are often scapegoats for a party unwilling to shift to the views of a new generation.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:31 pm

0 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:18 pm

The_Achiever wrote:So I finally had it out with my boomer Trump supporting dad yesterday. He's always been a fascist, under-the-radar POS. But unlike a lot of Trump supporters he reads and is educated.

Tough to describe but I don't think there's any coming back from it. He told me this morning myself and all liberals need to grow up, unironically. He was a violent, hypocritical horsefeathers of a dad but did teach me some lessons along the way. If you have read the chi-chat thread you know I am moving away from Illinois so I won't be around him much. I feel bad for my poor mother who has to babysit his drunk ass alone.

Just feels messed up. He's not really a good person but I've known that for a long time and our relationship had been ok as I just kind of shrugged off his politics. Oh well.

One day later and still feeling conflicted about this. Ever want to punch someone and apologize at the same time? This is how they get you, push your buttons until you explode on them. Now I can either apologize or just never really talk to my dad again. I've cut friends, ex-girlfriends, etc. out of my life but this would be way different.

I hate to bump it but still needing to vent I guess. And I would be apologizing for my behavior and losing my cool, not the substance of any political points, etc.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:22 pm

The_Achiever wrote:
The_Achiever wrote:So I finally had it out with my boomer Trump supporting dad yesterday. He's always been a fascist, under-the-radar POS. But unlike a lot of Trump supporters he reads and is educated.

Tough to describe but I don't think there's any coming back from it. He told me this morning myself and all liberals need to grow up, unironically. He was a violent, hypocritical horsefeathers of a dad but did teach me some lessons along the way. If you have read the chi-chat thread you know I am moving away from Illinois so I won't be around him much. I feel bad for my poor mother who has to babysit his drunk ass alone.

Just feels messed up. He's not really a good person but I've known that for a long time and our relationship had been ok as I just kind of shrugged off his politics. Oh well.

One day later and still feeling conflicted about this. Ever want to punch someone and apologize at the same time? This is how they get you, push your buttons until you explode on them. Now I can either apologize or just never really talk to my dad again. I've cut friends, ex-girlfriends, etc. out of my life but this would be way different.

I hate to bump it but still needing to vent I guess. And I would be apologizing for my behavior and losing my cool, not the substance of any political points, etc.

My mom definitely has some backwards opinions on things. She listens to conservative radio and watches Fox News, and feels like anytime we don't agree with, she's being attacked and can't have her own opinion. We've definitely had arguments, but we've gotten to the point where we realize that if we want to continue to have any kind of relationship, we just have to not talk about hot button topics. It's not ideal, but you do what you have to with family.
0 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:33 pm

For sure, but even as we've tried that my dad still can't help himself from little side comments.

Anyway that would not be a big deal as in the future I'll only see him once a year max. He doesn't talk on the phone, I just have to decide if I'm going to apologize before I leave. I probably should. I'll feel like a punk in some ways but I can move on with a clear conscience.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:55 pm

1 x

entbird79
Starter

Postby entbird79 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 pm

The_Achiever wrote:For sure, but even as we've tried that my dad still can't help himself from little side comments.

Anyway that would not be a big deal as in the future I'll only see him once a year max. He doesn't talk on the phone, I just have to decide if I'm going to apologize before I leave. I probably should. I'll feel like a punk in some ways but I can move on with a clear conscience.

I think you answered yourself. If you're going to regret not talking to him before your move it sounds like you're going to have to be the bigger person and go to him calmly and talk. You don't have to apologize for your beliefs, but if you feel like you were out of character with your comments/actions it might be beneficial for your relationship (If that's even what you want). You're either going to have to go back to knowing that you fundamentally disagree on things and can't talk about them with him or just severely limit the contact that you have with him in the future.

I've had many of the same issues as you're describing and at some point I realized what was in my circle of control and what wasn't. I shifted my focus onto what really mattered most to me and became a much healthier person. All the cliches apply, You can't pick your family, You can't fix stupid, etc.

It sounds like your move is going to be a great thing for you where you're at in your life right now. Good luck if you do go and talk to him, hopefully he is civil.
2 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:49 pm

One of the responses to this tweet: #Biden1950!

--------
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:17 am

UK wrote:
NOLA wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

Well, yeah.

I think the left would be wise to invest in a platform that is inclusive to the progressive movement that motivates Sanders' supporters not just stereotype them as blind sheep/pissed millennials if Sanders doesn't win. While the 30 percent of Sanders' deserve blame for not voting for Clinton, it is of equal or greater blame to solely run on a moderate tone.

Sanders' supporters are often scapegoats for a party unwilling to shift to the views of a new generation.

I’m actually separating Bernie from his followers. I disagree that the Dems are making Bernie Bros scapegoats over policy. It’s because so many of them did nothing but bitch and moan and on Election Day it made a difference in electing Trump.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:38 am

It seems backwards to be hyper critical of a small group of voters as opposed to an actual unrepentant horsefeathers ass running for president and the horsefeathers ass party that would be all too happy to see it happen.

How about we worry about rallying around the candidate once there's actually a candidate, and in the meantime we do the right thing and be critical of horsefeathers asses like Biden who deserve it instead of acting like it's a forgone conclusion his horsefeathers ass is going to be crowned.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:35 am

horsefeathers this guy forever
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:15 am

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:It seems backwards to be hyper critical of a small group of voters as opposed to an actual unrepentant horsefeathers ass running for president and the horsefeathers ass party that would be all too happy to see it happen.

How about we worry about rallying around the candidate once there's actually a candidate, and in the meantime we do the right thing and be critical of horsefeathers asses like Biden who deserve it instead of acting like it's a forgone conclusion his horsefeathers ass is going to be crowned.

Why not both? If you stayed home and pouted and let Donald horsefeathering Trump become president you're part of the problem.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Return to “Social”