2019 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
craig
All-Star

Re: 2019 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby craig » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:24 pm

Interesting the 22-year-old senior Combs got $50K. Most of the late senior signs have been $1K or $5K guys. Relative to the Cubs budget, $50K is still nothing, and relative to draft picks it's still nothing. But I'd guess the Cubs must have liked him a little bit more than the average senior roster-filler. May also reflect that he's maybe a smart guy with some other good career options or something? For example, if all I am is a jock who cares about sports, but have no other skills and didn't really put my college education to much use, maybe $5K or $1K to keep the dream alive and to stay with the only thing I know anything about is one thing. But if I'm a really smart, high-achievement student who's choosing between a Ph.D. track in medicinal chemistry, or dental school, or something, maybe $50K is enough to defer on that for a year or three; but $5K or $1K, I'd just jump right into grad school and get on with my career?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:38 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/Savermetrics/status/1143538645242015744

Shane Combs is not a guy that you would think would take $50K to sign.

Meaning that's a bit steep for a senior?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:46 pm

craig wrote:But if I'm a really smart, high-achievement student who's choosing between a Ph.D. track in medicinal chemistry, or dental school, or something, maybe $50K is enough to defer on that for a year or three; but $5K or $1K, I'd just jump right into grad school and get on with my career?

well, he's a rocket scientist.

Enrolled in the College of Engineering as an aerospace engineering major
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Huh, he got less than I was expecting. I definitely think he has a chance to be a starter like Riley Thompson.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:21 pm

More than I expected. Thought that there was a report that they'd called a different guy in front of round 3 and asked him to take a bigger sub-slot than that, and didn't select him when he wouldn't go quite low enough? Will be interesting to see whether Cubs start McAvene for a while, and if so for how long.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:18 pm

Cubs signed ECU catcher Jake Washer. My girlfriend saw it on Twitter and I took her for her word.

He’s got a lot of power but that’s about as far as my analysis goes. Feel sure he’s prob org depth. Still cool for me though
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:14 am

It'll be fun to follow this guy just so I can bring it up (and get someone to shut up). A bunch of players are off to good/great starts. Riley Greene is a surprisingly advanced hitter (for a HS bat) and looks like a great pick. Kody Hoese is doing really well. CJ Abrams is tearing it up and I think teams might regret passing on him at the top of the draft.

Chase Strumpf is doing fine, but needs to move up to a higher level to really be challenged. I've watched video of him (and seen UCLA games on TV) and I like the swing. I wonder what Kiley McDaniel and Eric Longenhagen meant by "needs some swing changes to be an everyday guy". He goes into a little bit of a crouch right before the ball reaches home plate. I honestly can't tell if the top half just dips a bit or if he starts crouching a little bit. It's nothing too bad. Great hands and is well-balanced in the swing. The swing looks pretty good and not something you really want to mess with. Seems really solid on defense at 2B also. I think he starts next year at High-A and moves pretty fast through the system.

Final note: I'm not looking to start a conversation about 2019 draft prospects with anyone (Well, maybe with Raisin and UK). So don't bother responding to this post.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:08 am

Regular Show wrote:It'll be fun to follow this guy just so I can bring it up (and get someone to shut up).

Yeah, not actively rooting for Braden Shewmake to fail because he wasn't someone I liked for the Cubs in the first round. The Cubs already seem to have a pretty good SS at the ML level and had a prospect at SS prospect going down the line (Short/Hoerner/Ademan/Vazquez/Verdugo) without injuries. A tall LHH that makes lots of contact and play SS is a nice start, but no CCBL plus no power still would be an unprecedented first pick for these Cubs. I'm probably not going to lament missing out on like a taller LHH juiced ball era Nick Ahmed - quality player at the price, sure - unless the current AS and MVP candidate SS falls apart in 2021 or 2022 when Shewmake might be a thing and the Cubs can't recover
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:14 pm

Okay, I didn't want to respond but here we are ...

First off, no one roots for a prospect to fail unless you're a psychopath. The second thing is it doesn't matter if the Cubs have a "pretty good SS" at the major league level; you always try to go BPA and weigh high ceiling vs. high floor.

Third thing is I wouldn't say our SS prospect depth is anything to brag about right now. Even with great depth at SS the best thing about that is that SS prospects can move all around the field and play other positions. That's part of the appeal and why teams like targeting SS prospects in the draft.

Fourth thing is that's a terrible comp you made calling him a "taller LHH juiced ball era Nick Ahmed". WTH? No one considers his defense on that level and scouts question if he can stick at SS (which I think he can). You're really bad at comps...

I could continue, but I think I've made my point(s). Just don't argue or question my judgement on these things because you're probably wrong. I'm not saying I'm always right or that Braden Shewmake is guaranteed to develop into an amazing prospect/player. I like him and said so multiple times and we'll see if I'm right in a couple years. If I'm wrong I'll admit it (I'm not an expert) which is something you have a serious problem admitting here. If you question something I write or post just keep it to yourself from now on. I have no interest in talking minors/draft/Cubs prospects with you here.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:29 am

Regular Show wrote:If I'm wrong I'll admit it (I'm not an expert) which is something you have a serious problem admitting here. If you question something I write or post just keep it to yourself from now on. I have no interest in talking minors/draft/Cubs prospects with you here

You're *still* on this #OwnUp nonsense? Yeah, that's on you at this point. I am usually happy to avoid you and your manufactured drama on a message board, but you keep passive aggressively mentioning me in your posts! Like not a little but alot. Then out of the other side of your mouth you talk about how much you're ignoring me

-----

OTOH glad to read the Cubs signed Hearn (top 100, HS), Hodge (HS), and Almanzar (JC). Hodge was a big guy at 15-16 here, no clue where he's at today:

0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:58 am

These guys are both so weird!
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:57 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Huh, he got less than I was expecting. I definitely think he has a chance to be a starter like Riley Thompson.

I'd be fine with keeping him in the pen and trying to fast track him to the bigs, but after the success (so far) of the Riley Thompson experiment, I'd have no issues if the FO wanted to go that route with McAvene as well.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

I'd be fine with keeping him in the pen and trying to fast track him to the bigs, but after the success (so far) of the Riley Thompson experiment, I'd have no issues if the FO wanted to go that route with McAvene as well.

Yeah, I mean he can hit triple digits as a reliever right now so he could be a dominant arm out of the pen. The stuff will tick down as a starter, but I think you have to give him the chance first. I believe Jim Callis said he has the best chance to be a starter out of all the college relievers taken in this draft.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:20 pm

0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:19 am

Did the 10th round catcher ever sign? If so, at slot; or at a super-cheap cash-freeing deal?
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:22 am

craig wrote:Did the 10th round catcher ever sign? If so, at slot; or at a super-cheap cash-freeing deal?

Not according to this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R9hzhGo0Q_29g2bfa2yQwHYqNN799JzkCP7HyK-XCKY/edit#gid=451339458

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:13 pm

Wonder if the Red Sox were somehow able to actual defer his service time. You had to think they had something up their sleeve since they picked Song in the top 10 rounds. Great value.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:05 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/1147619147188187136?s=21

Wonder if the Red Sox were somehow able to actual defer his service time. You had to think they had something up their sleeve since they picked Song in the top 10 rounds. Great value.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

When the presidential policy directive is implemented, Song will not have to attend flight school and will be allowed to pursue professional baseball full-time. Song was informed of President Trump’s memo on Wednesday night by representatives of the Navy athletic department.

“Obviously, I’m very excited about this development and the possibility I’ll be able to chase my dream of making the major leagues,” Song said. “I’m very fortunate the timing worked out just right as far as my situation.”

Song had been in the process of applying to the Navy for permission to pursue summer-time employment outside of his military responsibilities. If that request is granted, the hard-throwing right-hand pitcher will use his leave time to play for one of Boston’s minor league affiliates.

The Red Sox talked about assigning him to the Lowell Spinners, the organization’s short season Class A affiliate in the New York-Penn League, he said.

“I’m still kind of in limbo right now waiting to see what develops. I’m not sure how long it’s going to take for this new policy to become more official,” said Song, who led Division I with 161 strikeouts and 11 wins while ranking sixth with a 1.44 earned run average as a senior this past spring.

If Song is allowed to defer his military commitment and commit full-time to professional baseball, it certainly improves his value to the Red Sox.

It sounds like he'll able to enter the minors right away and defer his military service commitments, which is great news for Song and the Red Sox. I really liked him and wanted the Cubs to draft him, but his situation is unique and kinda complicated. None of this would've happened if Trump didn't undo the policy under Obama allowing recruits the chance to defer service to become professional athletes back in 2017:

In 2017, Trump’s own Defense Department rescinded that policy of allowing service academy graduates to go straight to the pros upon graduation instead of having to first serve on active duty. Then-Defense Secretary Jim Mattis re-implemented a long-standing policy that required they serve two years of active duty before applying for reserve status to pursue a career in professional sports.

horsefeathering Trump and his politics affects damn near everything these days...
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Anyone know why Wyatt Hendrie hasn't signed yet? I've looked on Twitter, but can't find a thing.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:Anyone know why Wyatt Hendrie hasn't signed yet? I've looked on Twitter, but can't find a thing.

The two players in the first 10 rounds most likely to spurn pro contracts are Rangers seventh-rounder Brandon Sproat and Cubs ninth-rounder Wyatt Hendrie. A right-hander from Pace (Fla.) High, Sproat is committed to Florida. Hendrie, a catcher from Antelope Valley (Calif.) JC, would play at San Diego State next spring.

The deadline is this Friday. I figured if the Cubs didn't sign Hendrie by this point he's not signing. Maybe something came up in his physical? Maybe he thinks he can improve his draft stock and get drafted higher in the coming years?
0 x

Edith Cox
Starter

Postby Edith Cox » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:47 am

Its going to suck if they can't get Hendrie signed when they could have just taken a NCAA SR pitcher for a couple grand and had 140K to spend elsewhere, rather than waste a 10th round pick on nothing and missout of the 142,200 slot and the 5% they could go over on that.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:46 pm

I heard that Derek Jeter REALLY wanted this kid at #4 instead of taking JJ Bleday, but didn't want to overrule his other scouts and pull a "MJ as meddling owner/exec" move. He's already gotten so much bad press (and rightfully so). It's early, but the kid looks amazing so far and should make every Top 100 prospect list.

Regarding Wyatt Hendrie, I'm not sure what happened but I don't think it's a big loss if he doesn't sign. Yeah, the opportunity cost hurts and the Cubs could've spent that money on someone else. I'm curious to find out what happened (again, if he doesn't sign).
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:Anyone know why Wyatt Hendrie hasn't signed yet? I've looked on Twitter, but can't find a thing.

The two players in the first 10 rounds most likely to spurn pro contracts are Rangers seventh-rounder Brandon Sproat and Cubs ninth-rounder Wyatt Hendrie. A right-hander from Pace (Fla.) High, Sproat is committed to Florida. Hendrie, a catcher from Antelope Valley (Calif.) JC, would play at San Diego State next spring.

The deadline is this Friday. I figured if the Cubs didn't sign Hendrie by this point he's not signing. Maybe something came up in his physical? Maybe he thinks he can improve his draft stock and get drafted higher in the coming years?

Yeah, it doesn't seem likely at this point. I just got a bit nervous when I was crunching the numbers as to the available bonus pool space, but I was mathing all wrong. I thought the Cubs needed Hendrie to sign just slightly underslot to fit everything in, but I redid the figures and it looks like they have $17K or so available from the 5% overage.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:26 pm

News, eh?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Hrubes20 wrote: