5-Time All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:05 pm

1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Banedon wrote:I can't get enough of billionaires crying about Elizabeth Warren. Inject that horsefeathers straight into my veins.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/elizabeth-warren-is-an-existential-danger-to-our-democracy-by-alexander-lex-luthor?fbclid=IwAR17UU56e1Z_RuduoBaPHdvSpGw_tRF2E8_TdpAGs8YnoG1QguA-84oQvLs
2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:13 pm

But even if you’re not inclined to empathize with Biden — even if you assume the worst about him — Trump’s conspiracy theory makes no sense. To believe it, you’d have to first believe that the foreign affairs apparatus of the Obama administration was willing to put its credibility on the line in service of the black sheep of the Biden family. After all, Joe Biden wasn’t freelancing in Ukraine; he was carrying out White House policy.

Further, if the Trump administration truly believes that Obama’s Ukraine policy was crooked, one might ask why it has Pyatt, who helped accomplish that policy, representing America as ambassador to Greece.

Most important, getting rid of Shokin made an investigation of Burisma more likely, not less.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 pm

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/11/mayor-pete-black-support-announcement.html?via=taps_top

A problem: When the Intercept dug into the endorsement, it found that two of the three top-line black politicians listed say they never endorsed the Douglass Plan, and that at least 40 percent of the other 400 individuals whose names are listed are white.

Here’s what state Rep. Ivory Thigpen said:

Even though I had had conversations with the [Buttigieg] campaign, it was clear to me, or at least I thought I made it clear to them, that I was a strong Bernie Sanders supporter—actually co-chair of the state, and I was not seeking to endorse their candidate or the plan. But what I had talked about was potentially giving them a quote of support in continuing the conversation, because I do think it’s a very important conversation.

And Johnnie Cordero:

“I never endorsed that plan. I don’t know how my name got on there. No, that’s not true: I know how my name got on there,” Cordero began, before explaining that Buttigieg had emailed him the plan and asked for feedback, which began a conversation with Buttigieg’s staff.

“I had some difficulties with it,” Cordero said. … “The long and the short of it was they never sufficiently answered my questions, so I never actually endorsed the plan.”
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:02 am

0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:04 am

BigbadB wrote:Can someone please punch Devin Nunes in the face?

6 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:21 am

I heard most of this on the radio, and it's amazing (but not really) how every horsefeathering Republican dude sounds EXACTLY the same. They're all cloned from the same smarmy-voiced mediocre white man factory.
0 x

PosterToBeNamedLater
Starter

Postby PosterToBeNamedLater » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:14 am

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/15/politics ... index.html
"Sondland told Trump that Zelensky 'loves your ass,' " Holmes said, according to a copy of his opening statement. "I then heard President Trump ask, 'So, he's gonna do the investigation?' Ambassador Sondland replied that 'he's gonna do it,' adding that President Zelensky will do 'anything you ask him to.'"

Holmes also confirmed Taylor's testimony about the President's thoughts on Ukraine, saying he had asked Sondland "if it was true that the President did not 'give a s--- about Ukraine."
Holmes said Sondland had responded that Trump cares only about "big stuff." When Holmes said that the Ukraine war was big, Sondland responded, " 'Big stuff' that benefits the President, like the Biden investigation that Mr. Giuliani was pushing," Holmes said.
2 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:05 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I heard most of this on the radio, and it's amazing (but not really) how every horsefeathering Republican dude sounds EXACTLY the same. They're all cloned from the same smarmy-voiced mediocre white man factory.

Trump may not be convicted in the Senate, but his Presidency is effectively over.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:29 am

CubinNY wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I heard most of this on the radio, and it's amazing (but not really) how every horsefeathering Republican dude sounds EXACTLY the same. They're all cloned from the same smarmy-voiced mediocre white man factory.

Trump may not be convicted in the Senate, but his Presidency is effectively over.

Quit being Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

The premise of this should be to preserve democracy which is why this is so important not the removal or ineffectiveness of one man. You now have an even more brazen corrupt group in Congress, Supreme Court, local politicans, etc. that will be impacting us long after Trump thankfully is gone.

His presidency was over before it began because of no principles or loyalty to anyone but himself and him being a stupid man surrouded by stupid people. He has no ability to govern or lead, his health care failed, immigration failed, tax cuts failed, security of this nation has obviously failed.

He's still being corrupt as we speak, just in ways that haven't been discovered.

His thoughtless followers who make up his base will dictate the actions of the GOP, will likely keep him in the 35-43 approval range and 80-90 approval within the GOP.

His presidency will be over when he's voted out.
1 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:14 pm

This whole process is at least as much about putting Republicans on the record whether they approve of this or not as it is about Trump himself.
1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:33 pm

UK wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

Quit being Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

The premise of this should be to preserve democracy which is why this is so important not the removal or ineffectiveness of one man. You now have an even more brazen corrupt group in Congress, Supreme Court, local politicans, etc. that will be impacting us long after Trump thankfully is gone.

His presidency was over before it began because of no principles or loyalty to anyone but himself and him being a stupid man surrouded by stupid people. He has no ability to govern or lead, his health care failed, immigration failed, tax cuts failed, security of this nation has obviously failed.

He's still being corrupt as we speak, just in ways that haven't been discovered.

His thoughtless followers who make up his base will dictate the actions of the GOP, will likely keep him in the 35-43 approval range and 80-90 approval within the GOP.

His presidency will be over when he's voted out.

Yeah, the talk about his presidency being over is a little hyperbolic.

He will be pissed if the Senate votes like 51-49 in favor of impeachment, but that means Romney, Murkowski, Collins and Gardner (which I seriously doubt) join all the Democrats. Also, who knows how that idiot Manchin will vote on this? I could see him voting against it.

If the majority of Senators voted for impeachment I could see Trump becoming even more unhinged than he already is, but this won't lead to the end of his presidency...

His approval rating is just too damn high among Republican voters and we all know Fox News executives will never turn on him.

I do think he's losing next November in a not-so-close race. However, the sad thing is even after he's voted out I think he will still wield a ton of influence on the Republican party. The next Democratic president needs to investigate him on charges of corruption and have him put on trial and sent to prison. That's the Endgame.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:11 pm

NOLA wrote:This whole process is at least as much about putting Republicans on the record whether they approve of this or not as it is about Trump himself.

If this was true, it would be an epic failure.

Do you think they care about doing the right thing?

If this was the straw that broke their back, horsefeathers all of them. If any of them are fine with kids dying in cages but this is too much, they aren't any better than Trump. The next GOP nomination for President will be some cheaper (if possible) version of Trump not some enlightened correction of him with decency.

Besides, how many of them are in blue/purple districts or states to where this would impact their election chances? I would guess less than 5-10%.

Beyond that, I hate the beltway pundits that think Trump is a product of some GOP regression. Those who left the party because of Trump are hypocritical at best.

The only difference between Trump and the grand GOP Messiah of Reagan is that Trump is more out in the open with his racism. They both had/have economic and socially hatred policies towards PoC as well as the poor (of all colors). One just enjoys bragging about it.

The GOP is the same as it ever was.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Regular Show wrote:The next Democratic president needs to investigate him on charges of corruption and have him put on trial and sent to prison. That's the Endgame.

IMO, you will never have a party or president who is willing to set the precedent of presidents being able to be convicted after their time in office for anything they did while in office.

I think the endgame for the Democrats if they manage to take back the WH and, even more of a stretch, the Senate, is to ditch the Electoral College.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Regular Show wrote:The next Democratic president needs to investigate him on charges of corruption and have him put on trial and sent to prison. That's the Endgame.

IMO, you will never have a party or president who is willing to set the precedent of presidents being able to be convicted after their time in office for anything they did while in office.

I think the endgame for the Democrats if they manage to take back the WH and, even more of a stretch, the Senate, is to ditch the Electoral College.

I think Nixon would've been tried on criminal charges if he wasn't pardoned by Gerald Ford. I could be wrong, but public sentiment definitely wanted Nixon put on trial way back then...

I normally would be against the precedent of a President having the former President put on trial for charges of corruption, but Trump is an atypical corrupt politician that has broken and irreparably harmed the nation. This needs to happen.

Abolishing the Electoral College is just too difficult unfortunately. It's better to just have Washington D.C. and PR recognized as new states with full representation and rights, IMO.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Regular Show wrote:I think Nixon would've been tried on criminal charges if he wasn't pardoned by Gerald Ford. I could be wrong, but public sentiment definitely wanted Nixon put on trial way back then...

Public sentiment, honestly, doesn't really matter with the kind of people we're talking about; the idea of politicians being able to be prosecuted for their actions while in office is terrifying to them, and you'd never have enough of them willing to support it because it would immediately put all of them at far more risk of a similar fate.

Plus look at it this way: would you really want to set the precedent for the Republicans to be able to do such a thing?
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Regular Show wrote:I think Nixon would've been tried on criminal charges if he wasn't pardoned by Gerald Ford. I could be wrong, but public sentiment definitely wanted Nixon put on trial way back then...

Plus look at it this way: would you really want to set the precedent for the Republicans to be able to do such a thing?

Yes, if a corrupt immoral Democrat was elected as President and used it to personally enrich himself/herself while performing brazen acts of corruption. Call me naive but no one should be above the law.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Yes, if a corrupt immoral Democrat was elected as President and used it to personally enrich himself/herself while performing brazen acts of corruption. Call me naive but no one should be above the law.

They're the same group that wanted Obama impeached for the ACA and Clinton arrested for the server as well as Benghazi.

That's too much power for the stupid.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:12 pm

UK wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

They're the same group that wanted Obama impeached for the ACA and Clinton arrested for the server as well as Benghazi.

That's too much power for the stupid.

Exactly. Trump has already tried to push the Justice Department to go after Clinton and Biden and Obama; the last thing we need are the ever-devolving Republicans fully getting on-board with that sort of thing after they can point at the Democrats and stop their feet and say, "they did it firrrrrrrssssssst!!!"

We've had ridiculously corrupt presidents who used the office to make money before; there's no need to send some kind of message by going after Trump, especially since everything would never get passed being tied up between lawyers forever until Trump is dead. Someone like him is never going to spend any time in jail, or even a court house. Let the states fruitlessly pursue it.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:27 pm

You all know that the 2024 GOP nominee will be Ivanka or Don Jr, right?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:32 pm

Derwood wrote:You all know that the 2024 GOP nominee will be Ivanka or Don Jr, right?

4 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:59 pm

Yes, yes...the GOP will "return to normal" after Trump is ousted and will be great partners in governing this great nation. Sure. Whatever.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Some more Grand Ol' Projection.
2 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:04 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

And maybe remove any verbiage from the consitution that states that a President cannot be convicted of a crime while in office. That seriously needs to go away, also.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:22 pm

BigbadB wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

And maybe remove any verbiage from the consitution that states that a President cannot be convicted of a crime while in office. That seriously needs to go away, also.

Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to horsefeathering begin with fixing how legally nebulous the whole setup of the office/position is. Like, there are semi-decent arguments out there that if you really hash out what SHOULD be illegal for a US president to do, then the position arguably shouldn't even exist as we know it.
0 x

Return to “Social”