Should we talk about the weather? (Hi-hi-hi!)

Brian
Hall of Fame

Re: Should we talk about the weather? (Hi-hi-hi!)

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:16 pm

even the weather is sick of confederate monuments

3 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:29 pm

Brian wrote:even the weather is sick of confederate monuments

Nature is healing
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:14 pm

It's God's will
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Longtime residents here in Tampa keep assuring me that, "oh they always miss us", but I have a gut feeling one or two of these storms this season will completely hammer us. I lived in Boca after I moved from IL from 95-98 and was fortunate enough to not experience one, but I'm pretty worried that luck is going to run out. The storms have been daily occurrences this month and gaining intensity. I need to get a generator asap. We have stocked up on water but who knows when enough is enough. I've never put together a hurricane kit. I have some catching up to do.

We have a long way to go this season.

I suggest that you get your hurricane kit together. I have two checklists-one for if I stay and I lose power and one for if I need to evacuate. Seriously, I can provide some links and info on how to prepare yourself in any circumstance. Just remember that thousands would likely be evacuating and getting a hotel the same time as you, so you have to prepare before something happens. I stayed here and was stuck here for a week after Katrina and I’ve evacuated. Leaving is better, trust me.
Last edited by NOLA on Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:25 pm

Dp]
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Should we talk about the weather? (Hi-hi-hi!)

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:50 am

NOLA wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Longtime residents here in Tampa keep assuring me that, "oh they always miss us", but I have a gut feeling one or two of these storms this season will completely hammer us. I lived in Boca after I moved from IL from 95-98 and was fortunate enough to not experience one, but I'm pretty worried that luck is going to run out. The storms have been daily occurrences this month and gaining intensity. I need to get a generator asap. We have stocked up on water but who knows when enough is enough. I've never put together a hurricane kit. I have some catching up to do.

We have a long way to go this season.

I suggest that you get your hurricane kit together. I have two checklists-one for if I stay and I lose power and one for if I need to evacuate. Seriously, I can provide some links and info on how to prepare yourself in any circumstance. Just remember that thousands would likely be evacuating and getting a hotel the same time as you, so you have to prepare before something happens. I stayed here and was stuck here for a week after Katrina and I’ve evacuated. Leaving is better, trust me.

I would appreciate that. Thank you.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:11 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I would appreciate that. Thank you.

Some of this info is Louisiana specific, but most is pretty universal for both what you need to do if you're staying and what you need to do if you're evacuating.

https://ready.nola.gov/NOLAReady/media/ ... s-2018.pdf
https://ready.nola.gov/NOLAReady/media/ ... nglish.pdf

I also have a portable file box that is ready for me to grab at a moment's notice that contains essential documents. After I finally got out of town and then weeks later tried to return to my house, I was very happy to have paper copies of utility bills and other documents that proved I was a resident so that I could get past the National Guard and reenter the city. Be prepared for your phone to have no reception, as I remember everyone with 504 area codes had nothing but "all lines are busy" recordings for weeks. Make sure loved ones elsewhere have an email address to reach you when nothing else works.

Of course, I hope you never need any of this but better to be safe.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:09 pm

I grew up in that area, Bradenton/Sarasota specifically, my 7th grade science teacher said something to the effect of that area of Florida has a less than 5% chance of getting hit by a natural weather disaster due to where it's located and how weather patterns react to it. During my family's 30+ years there, It has been mostly accurate. They always either get outer bands or the weak side or it diverts altogether. I'm not sure there's been a direct hit since we've been there. It's obviously not impossible though.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:01 pm

The Logan wrote:

I grew up in that area, Bradenton/Sarasota specifically, my 7th grade science teacher said something to the effect of that area of Florida has a less than 5% chance of getting hit by a natural weather disaster due to where it's located and how weather patterns react to it. During my family's 30+ years there, It has been mostly accurate. They always either get outer bands or the weak side or it diverts altogether. I'm not sure there's been a direct hit since we've been there. It's obviously not impossible though.

I typically dismiss the predictions of light or busy hurricane seasons or if an area is prone or not. It could be one of the quietest seasons on record, but all it takes is one. Better to be ready.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Should we talk about the weather? (Hi-hi-hi!)

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:55 am

NOLA wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I would appreciate that. Thank you.

Some of this info is Louisiana specific, but most is pretty universal for both what you need to do if you're staying and what you need to do if you're evacuating.

https://ready.nola.gov/NOLAReady/media/ ... s-2018.pdf
https://ready.nola.gov/NOLAReady/media/ ... nglish.pdf

I also have a portable file box that is ready for me to grab at a moment's notice that contains essential documents. After I finally got out of town and then weeks later tried to return to my house, I was very happy to have paper copies of utility bills and other documents that proved I was a resident so that I could get past the National Guard and reenter the city. Be prepared for your phone to have no reception, as I remember everyone with 504 area codes had nothing but "all lines are busy" recordings for weeks. Make sure loved ones elsewhere have an email address to reach you when nothing else works.

Of course, I hope you never need any of this but better to be safe.
This is awesome man, I really appreciate it. Thank you.
1 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:59 am

0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 pm

Another system headed for the central gulf on Saturday and Vicky is taking a scary path. The next named storm goes into the Greek alphabet. We’re basically on alert every 2 weeks now.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Link to live cam of Hurricane Zeta coming ashore.

https://irgir.click2stream.com/

We’re expecting 100mph here in the city around 7pm.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:32 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:29 am

It was intense wind for about an hour, then the eye came over and within 15 minutes it was calm and the sun actually peaked through. Tons of people were out walking their dogs, and I was that guy on my porch warning every person that it was going to get bad again soon. It picked back up as quickly as it had ended, of course. If it weren’t for the poor dogs I’d have taken much more joy in thinking of hipsters getting stuck in the park during 90 mph winds.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:51 am

NOLA wrote:It was intense wind for about an hour, then the eye came over and within 15 minutes it was calm and the sun actually peaked through. Tons of people were out walking their dogs, and I was that guy on my porch warning every person that it was going to get bad again soon. It picked back up as quickly as it had ended, of course. If it weren’t for the poor dogs I’d have taken much more joy in thinking of hipsters getting stuck in the park during 90 mph winds.

People down there, of all places, aren’t familiar with how hurricanes work?
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:14 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:It was intense wind for about an hour, then the eye came over and within 15 minutes it was calm and the sun actually peaked through. Tons of people were out walking their dogs, and I was that guy on my porch warning every person that it was going to get bad again soon. It picked back up as quickly as it had ended, of course. If it weren’t for the poor dogs I’d have taken much more joy in thinking of hipsters getting stuck in the park during 90 mph winds.

People down there, of all places, aren’t familiar with how hurricanes work?

Lots of people have moved here in the last several years, and we haven’t had a direct hit for awhile. It’s the first time I’ve witnessed being in the eye for maybe 16 years.

Power came back on at 2am.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:48 pm

I should probably feel bad for this guy but hahahahaha

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:06 pm

silly bastard

it's freaking hot and wet here on november 30th, this horsefeathers sucks
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:50 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:silly bastard

it's freaking hot and wet here on november 30th, this horsefeathers sucks

Snowed here. horsefeathers, I hate snow
0 x

Return to “Social”