Video Game Thread

Postby snoodmonger » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:47 am

I just started Fallout 4. Any tips?
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:19 pm

snoodmonger wrote:I just started Fallout 4. Any tips?

i couldn't get into the town building stuff but it's a pretty fun game
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:32 pm

pick a random direction on the map. head that way and discover anything you come across. do quests if/when you want, but the random things/people/creatures you come by out of nowhere is the best part of fallout.
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:03 pm

i like arkham knight a lot. #ayearbehindinvideogames
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:10 pm

I just started Fallout 4, myself. I found this and it seems pretty helpful while being basically spoiler free.

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-fallout-4-1742667904

I just finished Witcher 3. Great game.
0 x

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:48 am

Huge backlog of Xbone and Steam games. Plays Hearthstone every night. Help me. Please help me. :-?

I was so hyped for Fallout 4 but I just can't seem to get into it lately. I think I just need to randomly wander the Wasteland more. I'm weird.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:00 am

Sosa21MVP wrote:
I was so hyped for Fallout 4 but I just can't seem to get into it lately. I think I just need to randomly wander the Wasteland more. I'm weird.

I get the same way. The game.....it's too much. Too much to do, too much to see. My weekly gaming time is pretty tight these days, so I don't have the time to just wander around and enjoy the world of the game.
0 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:19 am

Yeah, it's a huge time sink. I'm on my second playthrough and just hit 150 hours, but am not even halfway through the main narrative. I'm just exploring all the stuff I didn't do or see in my first go round, and I know I'm still going to miss a bunch of it.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:32 am

i'll be purchasing a ps4 tomorrow that includes star wars: battlefront. this will be my first game system purchase since i picked up a ps2 in 2001. i enjoy role playing games like the suikoden series, final fantasy tactics and baseball games. any recommendations?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:08 am

cl smooth wrote:i'll be purchasing a ps4 tomorrow that includes star wars: battlefront. this will be my first game system purchase since i picked up a ps2 in 2001. i enjoy role playing games like the suikoden series, final fantasy tactics and baseball games. any recommendations?

MLB: The Show is the best baseball game since MVP '05. The '15 version will be cheap as '16 comes out in March

I'm not up on the RPG's you listed, so I'll leave recommendations to others on that front
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:23 am

cl smooth wrote:i'll be purchasing a ps4 tomorrow that includes star wars: battlefront. this will be my first game system purchase since i picked up a ps2 in 2001. i enjoy role playing games like the suikoden series, final fantasy tactics and baseball games. any recommendations?

i'm JohnnyTouchdowns, play battlefront with me (even though i suck)
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:24 am

also i lovelovelove super mega baseball. much more of a baseball video game along the lines of something for snes or whatever, but it's fantastic.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:41 am

Sosa21MVP wrote:Huge backlog of Xbone and Steam games. Plays Hearthstone every night. Help me. Please help me. :-?

I took too long off of hearthstone, and trying to get back into it, found I was far enough behind in cards that I'd have to pay to catch up. Which ended the ride for me.

Which is just me being a cheap-ass, cuz I played it enough that I really shouldn't have had a problem putting a little money into it, but what can I say...I enjoyed the freeness.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Sosa21MVP wrote:I was so hyped for Fallout 4 but I just can't seem to get into it lately. I think I just need to randomly wander the Wasteland more. I'm weird.

I'm the in the acceptance stage of "Fallout 4 was a letdown." It's not a bad game at all, but I think it kinda regressed from what New Vegas moved the series towards and it ended up more as a straight sandbox shooter.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Sosa21MVP wrote:I was so hyped for Fallout 4 but I just can't seem to get into it lately. I think I just need to randomly wander the Wasteland more. I'm weird.

I'm the in the acceptance stage of "Fallout 4 was a letdown." It's not a bad game at all, but I think it kinda regressed from what New Vegas moved the series towards and it ended up more as a straight sandbox shooter.

I think it's because, as I said, there's just too much. If they had focused more on the main story and made it better, dropped about 25% of the side quests, and expanded the enemy variations, I'd have been more happy. The enemy thing really bugs me; why make this huge, expansive world, only to populate it with ten enemies?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Besides the scope, they just spent too much time on things like crafting. Or not necessarily too much time; I get that some players love things like that. But that they settled on it as a main selling point to the detriment of the story and character interactions. It felt so much more that each mission or storyline was on a rail than the previous games (especially NV).
0 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Besides the scope, they just spent too much time on things like crafting. Or not necessarily too much time; I get that some players love things like that. But that they settled on it as a main selling point to the detriment of the story and character interactions. It felt so much more that each mission or storyline was on a rail than the previous games (especially NV).

I don't think the crafting detracted from anything. Sure, it can completely hijack your game if you let it (making you feel like it's a much bigger part of the game than it is), but you can also completely ignore it without losing much. And imo, Fallout 3 was even more on rails than Fallout 4. Fallout: New Vegas was much less that way than either, because Obsidian developed it, and they do the RPG thing (writing, narrative freedom, moral ambiguity, etc.) waaaaaaay better than Bethesda.

That said, I think Fallout 4 is a step forward from Fallout 3 in that regard. The choice of path in Fallout 3 was pretty absolute: you were either bad, or you were good. The factions and choices in Fallout 4 are a little more nuanced. I also think it's easier to be immediately sidetracked from the main quest line (in a good way) in Fallout 4. In terms of the narrative, I think Fallout is generally a step forward from 3. But that's not saying much, since that's not what BGS is known for.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Yeah, I keep forgetting that was Obsidian.

Though I wasn't a huge fan of 3, either; I'm one of the weirdos that loved 1 & 2, and while I didn't expect 3 to be the same it just felt SO different that I didn't really love it. NV just "felt" so much like what I want a Fallout game to be.

And the crafting doesn't detract from anything; I do just mostly ignore and it and that's fine. I just think that's what they mostly hung their hat on as being new and different and I would have preferred that focus elsewhere.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:13 pm

The biggest problem I had with Fallout 3 was how it artificially cut you off from parts of the "open" world until the story wanted you to go there. You had to get from area to area through the subways. I hated that it was trying to be open world yet limiting at the same time. Very frustrating
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:42 pm

I have never played Fallout before Fallout 4, so I have to say I'm enjoying this. It seems like many people invested in the Fallout franchise either don't like FO4 as much, or they think its disappointing relative to hype but overall a decent game.

My biggest gripe besides settlements which I don't give 2 horsefeathers about is that a simple mission takes me like 3 hours because I have to go through every nook and cranny of the building I'm in, and loot every single thing I possibly can, then I get addicted to meds to increase my strength so I can carry more horsefeathers. And all that horsefeathers just sits in my workbench when I put it in there. The junk slowly gets salvaged into upgrades, but the weapons and armor just sit there because its way too time consuming to slowly sell it all because shop keepers don't keep very much money. And I really don't need very much money because I find everything I need including legendary armor and weapons playing the game. BUT I STILL CANT HELP BUT LOOT EVERYTHING including all the battered clipboards I would need in 5 lifetimes.

Spoiler: show
Also I haven't gotten to the point where I side with a faction, but if Preston Garvey tells me about another settlement that needs my help, I am horsefeathering picking whatever faction will allow me to blow the Minutemen to smithereens.
Last edited by UMFan83 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 pm

I was growing weary of FO4 so I finally cracked open AC: Syndicate (which I've had since Black Friday)
0 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:01 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Yeah, I keep forgetting that was Obsidian.

Though I wasn't a huge fan of 3, either; I'm one of the weirdos that loved 1 & 2, and while I didn't expect 3 to be the same it just felt SO different that I didn't really love it. NV just "felt" so much like what I want a Fallout game to be.

And the crafting doesn't detract from anything; I do just mostly ignore and it and that's fine. I just think that's what they mostly hung their hat on as being new and different and I would have preferred that focus elsewhere.

Probably because Obsidian is comprised primarily of old Interplay devs. It was essentially the original Fallout crew making a Fallout using Bethesda's resources. There's little doubt that strictly from a true role playing perspective, New Vegas is easily the best of the New Fallouts. BGS is much batter at constructing a game world, though. Too bad they won't collaborate on one.
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:35 am

UMFan83 wrote:I have never played Fallout before Fallout 4, so I have to say I'm enjoying this. It seems like many people invested in the Fallout franchise either don't like FO4 as much, or they think its disappointing relative to hype but overall a decent game.

My biggest gripe besides settlements which I don't give 2 [expletive] about is that a simple mission takes me like 3 hours because I have to go through every nook and cranny of the building I'm in, and loot every single thing I possibly can, then I get addicted to meds to increase my strength so I can carry more [expletive]. And all that [expletive] just sits in my workbench when I put it in there. The junk slowly gets salvaged into upgrades, but the weapons and armor just sit there because its way too time consuming to slowly sell it all because shop keepers don't keep very much money. And I really don't need very much money because I find everything I need including legendary armor and weapons playing the game. BUT I STILL CANT HELP BUT LOOT EVERYTHING including all the battered clipboards I would need in 5 lifetimes.

Also I haven't gotten to the point where I side with a faction, but if Preston Garvey tells me about another settlement that needs my help, I am [expletive] picking whatever faction will allow me to blow the Minutemen to smithereens.

the bit about how you continually get yourself addicted to meds so you can carry more junk home really made me laugh a lot for whatever reason
0 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:01 am

UMFan83 wrote:I have never played Fallout before Fallout 4, so I have to say I'm enjoying this. It seems like many people invested in the Fallout franchise either don't like FO4 as much, or they think its disappointing relative to hype but overall a decent game.

My biggest gripe besides settlements which I don't give 2 [expletive] about is that a simple mission takes me like 3 hours because I have to go through every nook and cranny of the building I'm in, and loot every single thing I possibly can, then I get addicted to meds to increase my strength so I can carry more [expletive]. And all that [expletive] just sits in my workbench when I put it in there. The junk slowly gets salvaged into upgrades, but the weapons and armor just sit there because its way too time consuming to slowly sell it all because shop keepers don't keep very much money. And I really don't need very much money because I find everything I need including legendary armor and weapons playing the game. BUT I STILL CANT HELP BUT LOOT EVERYTHING including all the battered clipboards I would need in 5 lifetimes.

Also I haven't gotten to the point where I side with a faction, but if Preston Garvey tells me about another settlement that needs my help, I am [expletive] picking whatever faction will allow me to blow the Minutemen to smithereens.

Preston never stops. The best you can do is to avoid him. I guess there's a new mod for PC that puts an end to his shenanigans, but that doesn't help console players. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the same settlements over and over and over.

Regarding selling things: what I do is once my player and companion are loaded up with high value weapons/armor, I fast travel straight to the vendors that sell material shipments, and barter for the expensive materials plus the amount of caps that vendor has. That way you get the materials you need with less scavenging, plus caps.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:19 am

Preston straight up will horsefeathering send you to a settlement you've already cleared out. Seriously; you show up and nobody is there and the prisoner is sitting in a cage you already opened like an idiot.
0 x

Return to “Social”