"horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

User avatar
Omar
Superstar
Posts: 19415
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:10 am
x 383
x 884

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Omar » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:03 am

the uncensored thread title is much better.
1 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 11612
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 458
x 811

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby sneakypower » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:07 pm

but after jaydee got banned a revision was necessary
0 x
Image

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36550
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 903
x 1214

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Tue May 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Amazingly, Schwarber has 1 DRS this year. For him to develop into something less like a black hole in the OF is a huge plus moving forward.

His UZR is higher than Heyward's btw.
1 x
Image

User avatar
DiceMan4221
All-Star
Posts: 2434
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 1947
x 810
Contact:

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby DiceMan4221 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:46 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Amazingly, Schwarber has 1 DRS this year. For him to develop into something less like a black hole in the OF is a huge plus moving forward.

His UZR is higher than Heyward's btw.

Image
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

User avatar
Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9972
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am
x 10159
x 6829

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Duke Silver » Tue May 08, 2018 5:11 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Amazingly, Schwarber has 1 DRS this year. For him to develop into something less like a black hole in the OF is a huge plus moving forward.

His UZR is higher than Heyward's btw.


He also rates positively in UZR, and BP's FRAA. And he comes in even in Statcast's Outs Above Average. If he can be an average left fielder, or even close to it, he'll be just fine out there.

I still think he looks completely lost out there sometimes, but it's working out fine. horsefeathers defense anyway. Give me the dongs.
3 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8124
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Hell (a.k.a. St. Louis)
x 222
x 300
Contact:

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby mul21 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Amazingly, Schwarber has 1 DRS this year. For him to develop into something less like a black hole in the OF is a huge plus moving forward.

His UZR is higher than Heyward's btw.


He also rates positively in UZR, and BP's FRAA. And he comes in even in Statcast's Outs Above Average. If he can be an average left fielder, or even close to it, he'll be just fine out there.

I still think he looks completely lost out there sometimes, but it's working out fine. horsefeathers defense anyway. Give me the dongs.


Yeah, that double after the Rizzo error the other night was a prime example. He took a bad line after misjudging the flight of the ball and wasn't able to make the play on a ball Zobrist or Bryant or Happ probably catch out there.
0 x
I like beer.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 19313
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3022
x 2986

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Bow down to our new fielding overlord

0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
DiceMan4221
All-Star
Posts: 2434
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 1947
x 810
Contact:

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby DiceMan4221 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Bow down to our new fielding overlord


Alfanso Soriano reborn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ragXpWsAI
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

User avatar
DonnieD
Role Player
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Bourbonnais, IL
x 12
x 5
Contact:

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby DonnieD » Wed May 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Bow down to our new fielding overlord


But, but, but... if you listen to sports talk radio he isn’t even a passable defender and must be traded immediately to an AL team so he can DH.
0 x
"WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8131
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 2534
x 250

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Old Style » Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 pm

DonnieD wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Bow down to our new fielding overlord


But, but, but... if you listen to sports talk radio he isn’t even a passable defender and must be traded immediately to an AL team so he can DH.

My brother & nephew drive me nuts with this point of view. I got mocked for praising Schwarber's assist yesterday. "The throw was only from deep SS and the ultra slow Freddy Freeman was running. Atta boy for doing your job." I wanted to reach through the phone and smack some bitches.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 2853
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 368

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:42 pm

The throw was great but all the stars aligned perfectly. I mean he got to the ball as quickly as he could, there was no wasted movement, and he fired a strike - but that was still a [expletive] of luck to get the out IMO, and that's not to say there was anything Kyle should have done differently, nor am I trying to discredit him. He has been really making some nice throws though and I couldn't be happier with his evolution as an OF.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8124
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Hell (a.k.a. St. Louis)
x 222
x 300
Contact:

Re:

Postby mul21 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:46 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:The throw was great but all the stars aligned perfectly. I mean he got to the ball as quickly as he could, there was no wasted movement, and he fired a strike - but that was still a [expletive] of luck to get the out IMO, and that's not to say there was anything Kyle should have done differently, nor am I trying to discredit him. He has been really making some nice throws though and I couldn't be happier with his evolution as an OF.


Isn't that the case on any bang bang play like that though?

At any rate, he's fine out there but he's not going to win any Gold Gloves. As long as he hits well the defense is perfectly fine even if it does cost them some runs/outs here and there like in the Cardinals series in STL.
2 x
I like beer.

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 2853
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 368

Re: RE: Re:

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:07 pm

mul21 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:The throw was great but all the stars aligned perfectly. I mean he got to the ball as quickly as he could, there was no wasted movement, and he fired a strike - but that was still a [expletive] of luck to get the out IMO, and that's not to say there was anything Kyle should have done differently, nor am I trying to discredit him. He has been really making some nice throws though and I couldn't be happier with his evolution as an OF.


Isn't that the case on any bang bang play like that though?

At any rate, he's fine out there but he's not going to win any Gold Gloves. As long as he hits well the defense is perfectly fine even if it does cost them some runs/outs here and there like in the Cardinals series in STL.
There was an inordinate amount of luck there to me but yes to a degree that is the way bang-bang plays go
0 x

badger
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7404
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Denver
x 263
x 329

Re: RE: Re:

Postby badger » Wed May 16, 2018 8:18 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
mul21 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:The throw was great but all the stars aligned perfectly. I mean he got to the ball as quickly as he could, there was no wasted movement, and he fired a strike - but that was still a [expletive] of luck to get the out IMO, and that's not to say there was anything Kyle should have done differently, nor am I trying to discredit him. He has been really making some nice throws though and I couldn't be happier with his evolution as an OF.


Isn't that the case on any bang bang play like that though?

At any rate, he's fine out there but he's not going to win any Gold Gloves. As long as he hits well the defense is perfectly fine even if it does cost them some runs/outs here and there like in the Cardinals series in STL.
There was an inordinate amount of luck there to me but yes to a degree that is the way bang-bang plays go



I'd love to know how you quantify luck.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 2455
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 635
x 544

Re:

Postby squally1313 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:36 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:The throw was great but all the stars aligned perfectly. I mean he got to the ball as quickly as he could, there was no wasted movement, and he fired a strike - but that was still a [expletive] of luck to get the out IMO, and that's not to say there was anything Kyle should have done differently, nor am I trying to discredit him. He has been really making some nice throws though and I couldn't be happier with his evolution as an OF.

This is an inordinate amount of word garbage.
2 x

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 2455
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 635
x 544

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby squally1313 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Robbing that home run with his bare hand was great but the stars all aligned perfectly. I mean he was in the perfect spot, there was no wasted movement, and he timed his jump perfectly - but it still super lucky that the ball happened to be right where his hand was, not to discredit him or anything.
1 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14665
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 3829
x 1256

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby The Logan » Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Yeeeaaaaah, I think you're out on this limb on your own. It was a fairly simple play. Ball hit in outfield -> Kyle fields ball cleanly -> Kyle throws ball accurately -> Runner is out at home.

If we're going to chock up Almora's highlight reel catches to skill, we can't chock up Kyle's routine plays to luck. Let's just get over the fact that he's not fat anymore and accept that he has a lot more athleticism than he used to and it's paying off
1 x
Image

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 2455
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 635
x 544

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby squally1313 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:02 pm

The Logan wrote:Yeeeaaaaah, I think you're out on this limb on your own. It was a fairly simple play. Ball hit in outfield -> Kyle fields ball cleanly -> Kyle throws ball accurately -> Runner is out at home.

If we're going to chock up Almora's highlight reel catches to skill, we can't chock up Kyle's routine plays to luck. Let's just get over the fact that he's not fat anymore and accept that he has a lot more athleticism than he used to and it's paying off


I think he was referring to that weird play where Freeman was stealing second and it bounced off his foot rather than a routine single to left. I was probably over the top in my post above, but you can still make good defensive plays on what start off as fluky/unusual plays (ie the ball bouncing off his foot). We obviously shouldn't expect Schwarber to throw out a lot of guys trying to steal second at home, but he played it really well.
0 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14665
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 3829
x 1256

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby The Logan » Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Ahh, I thought this was in reference to when he gunned down a runner at home the other day. Point still stands, though.
0 x
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73958
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2215
x 3232
Contact:

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Piling on to the tweet earlier in the week:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &players=0
0 x
Win it for Fred

BigSlick
Superstar
Posts: 12942
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:04 pm
x 1588
x 321

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby BigSlick » Mon May 21, 2018 10:15 pm

I never thought he was all that bad defensively and all the gyrations that goofballs like Bernstein would put him through was unnecessary. He can play the field.
0 x
Image
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 19313
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3022
x 2986

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:50 pm

2 x
Screw Pitchers

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36035
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 780

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby soccer10k » Tue May 22, 2018 3:56 am

BigSlick wrote:I never thought he was all that bad defensively and all the gyrations that goofballs like Bernstein would put him through was unnecessary. He can play the field.


He got a bad reputation because of a couple bad plays against the Mets in the 2015 playoffs. Watching him day to day it was clear he could at least be passable in the outfield. At least he didn't look like he would kill himself anytime he came within 20 feet of the wall like Soler did.
4 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8131
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 2534
x 250

Re: "horsefeathers looks like The Thing" - The Kyle Schwarber Thread

Postby Old Style » Tue May 22, 2018 2:01 pm

soccer10k wrote:
BigSlick wrote:I never thought he was all that bad defensively and all the gyrations that goofballs like Bernstein would put him through was unnecessary. He can play the field.


He got a bad reputation because of a couple bad plays against the Mets in the 2015 playoffs. Watching him day to day it was clear he could at least be passable in the outfield. At least he didn't look like he would kill himself anytime he came within 20 feet of the wall like Soler did.

I grew up watching guys like Gary Matthews and Keith Moreland in the OF. Then came guys like Moist Hands Alou. I have no doubt Schwarber will be at least as good as those guys and likely better.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests