THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Duke Silver
Superstar

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Yeah, his xStats at Baseball Savant are excellent. He has one of the largest discrepancies between his expected BA and actual BA in the league. Most of the guys with larger discrepancies than him are hitting like .170 or some impossibly low number.

If anything he’s doing a better job than ever at avoiding weak contact.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 am

Washington Nationals superstar outfielder Bryce Harper is a five-time All-Star and the 2015 National League MVP, but there's at least one NL executive who reportedly believes Harper is overrated and not worth paying a king's ransom to acquire once he becomes a free agent after this season.

"He's simply overrated. The good ain't worth the bad. He's a losing player," the executive told Robert Murray of FRS Baseball. "Cares about himself more than the team. If I was in charge and had money, my team would not pursue him. We would use that money to sign 2-3 winning players."

He added: "If he gets more than 10 years, $300 million, I'd be surprised. I would not give him 10 years period and certainly not at that AAV. He's just not worth it. He's a selfish, losing player."

Another executive didn't see things that way.

"He's a generational talent. Why wouldn't you at least kick the tires?" he said.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780 ... ing-player

I'm dying to know who that executive is.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Banedon wrote:
Washington Nationals superstar outfielder Bryce Harper is a five-time All-Star and the 2015 National League MVP, but there's at least one NL executive who reportedly believes Harper is overrated and not worth paying a king's ransom to acquire once he becomes a free agent after this season.

"He's simply overrated. The good ain't worth the bad. He's a losing player," the executive told Robert Murray of FRS Baseball. "Cares about himself more than the team. If I was in charge and had money, my team would not pursue him. We would use that money to sign 2-3 winning players."

He added: "If he gets more than 10 years, $300 million, I'd be surprised. I would not give him 10 years period and certainly not at that AAV. He's just not worth it. He's a selfish, losing player."

"He's a generational talent. Why wouldn't you at least kick the tires?" he said.

One that clearly has no shot at signing him, so is taking this stance to save himself the embarrassment of a failed pursuit.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:16 pm

Derwood wrote:
Banedon wrote:

One that clearly has no shot at signing him, so is taking this stance to save himself the embarrassment of a failed pursuit.

Not just someone who has no shot at signing him, but also sounds pretty old-school to me. No one who is analytically inclined would say that about Harper. Almost sounds like Tony La Russa except he isn't employed by any team right now. It could one of the old-school execs in the Marlins organization.

You know what lol? I wouldn't be surprised if it came from this guy:

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 pm

It's obviously fake mustache Theo trying to craftily drive the price down.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:20 pm

I really hope it was whats-his-face in Milwaukee
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Derwood wrote:I really hope it was whats-his-face in Milwaukee

do you mean the guy who knocked it out of the park last couple offseasons doing just that, "sign(ing) 2-3 winning players"
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Banedon wrote:

I'd put a small wager on it being someone in the Baltimore FO.
0 x
I like beer.

Garwilly
5-Time All-Star

Postby Garwilly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:40 pm

I'll take that bet.
0 x
. . .

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Curious what the Nationals power transfer means in the whole scheme of things. Mark Lerner supposedly is relatively close with Bryce (as close as these relationships can go), but he's not as close to Boras as his father is.

In the end, may not mean much, as it's still the Lerner family.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”