THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

User avatar
Duke Silver
Superstar
Posts: 10213
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am
x 10721
x 7228

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Yeah, his xStats at Baseball Savant are excellent. He has one of the largest discrepancies between his expected BA and actual BA in the league. Most of the guys with larger discrepancies than him are hitting like .170 or some impossibly low number.

If anything he’s doing a better job than ever at avoiding weak contact.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65215
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4080
x 4110

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Banedon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 am

Washington Nationals superstar outfielder Bryce Harper is a five-time All-Star and the 2015 National League MVP, but there's at least one NL executive who reportedly believes Harper is overrated and not worth paying a king's ransom to acquire once he becomes a free agent after this season.

"He's simply overrated. The good ain't worth the bad. He's a losing player," the executive told Robert Murray of FRS Baseball. "Cares about himself more than the team. If I was in charge and had money, my team would not pursue him. We would use that money to sign 2-3 winning players."

He added: "If he gets more than 10 years, $300 million, I'd be surprised. I would not give him 10 years period and certainly not at that AAV. He's just not worth it. He's a selfish, losing player."


Another executive didn't see things that way.

"He's a generational talent. Why wouldn't you at least kick the tires?" he said.


http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780 ... ing-player

I'm dying to know who that executive is.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66501
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 760
x 1532

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Banedon wrote:
Washington Nationals superstar outfielder Bryce Harper is a five-time All-Star and the 2015 National League MVP, but there's at least one NL executive who reportedly believes Harper is overrated and not worth paying a king's ransom to acquire once he becomes a free agent after this season.

"He's simply overrated. The good ain't worth the bad. He's a losing player," the executive told Robert Murray of FRS Baseball. "Cares about himself more than the team. If I was in charge and had money, my team would not pursue him. We would use that money to sign 2-3 winning players."

He added: "If he gets more than 10 years, $300 million, I'd be surprised. I would not give him 10 years period and certainly not at that AAV. He's just not worth it. He's a selfish, losing player."


Another executive didn't see things that way.

"He's a generational talent. Why wouldn't you at least kick the tires?" he said.


http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780 ... ing-player

I'm dying to know who that executive is.


One that clearly has no shot at signing him, so is taking this stance to save himself the embarrassment of a failed pursuit.
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1102
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 997
x 258

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:16 pm

Derwood wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Washington Nationals superstar outfielder Bryce Harper is a five-time All-Star and the 2015 National League MVP, but there's at least one NL executive who reportedly believes Harper is overrated and not worth paying a king's ransom to acquire once he becomes a free agent after this season.

"He's simply overrated. The good ain't worth the bad. He's a losing player," the executive told Robert Murray of FRS Baseball. "Cares about himself more than the team. If I was in charge and had money, my team would not pursue him. We would use that money to sign 2-3 winning players."

He added: "If he gets more than 10 years, $300 million, I'd be surprised. I would not give him 10 years period and certainly not at that AAV. He's just not worth it. He's a selfish, losing player."


Another executive didn't see things that way.

"He's a generational talent. Why wouldn't you at least kick the tires?" he said.


http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780 ... ing-player

I'm dying to know who that executive is.


One that clearly has no shot at signing him, so is taking this stance to save himself the embarrassment of a failed pursuit.


Not just someone who has no shot at signing him, but also sounds pretty old-school to me. No one who is analytically inclined would say that about Harper. Almost sounds like Tony La Russa except he isn't employed by any team right now. It could one of the old-school execs in the Marlins organization.

You know what lol? I wouldn't be surprised if it came from this guy:

Image
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73825
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7706
x 10432

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 pm

It's obviously fake mustache Theo trying to craftily drive the price down.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66501
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 760
x 1532

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:20 pm

I really hope it was whats-his-face in Milwaukee
0 x

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 11614
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 464
x 813

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby sneakypower » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Derwood wrote:I really hope it was whats-his-face in Milwaukee

do you mean the guy who knocked it out of the park last couple offseasons doing just that, "sign(ing) 2-3 winning players"
0 x
Image

mul21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8155
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Hell (a.k.a. St. Louis)
x 235
x 307
Contact:

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby mul21 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Banedon wrote:
Washington Nationals superstar outfielder Bryce Harper is a five-time All-Star and the 2015 National League MVP, but there's at least one NL executive who reportedly believes Harper is overrated and not worth paying a king's ransom to acquire once he becomes a free agent after this season.

"He's simply overrated. The good ain't worth the bad. He's a losing player," the executive told Robert Murray of FRS Baseball. "Cares about himself more than the team. If I was in charge and had money, my team would not pursue him. We would use that money to sign 2-3 winning players."

He added: "If he gets more than 10 years, $300 million, I'd be surprised. I would not give him 10 years period and certainly not at that AAV. He's just not worth it. He's a selfish, losing player."


Another executive didn't see things that way.

"He's a generational talent. Why wouldn't you at least kick the tires?" he said.


http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780 ... ing-player

I'm dying to know who that executive is.


I'd put a small wager on it being someone in the Baltimore FO.
0 x
I like beer.

User avatar
Garwilly
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5818
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Chicago
x 2
x 10
Contact:

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Garwilly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:40 pm

I'll take that bet.
0 x
. . .

toonsterwu
All-Star
Posts: 4383
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:10 am
x 34

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Curious what the Nationals power transfer means in the whole scheme of things. Mark Lerner supposedly is relatively close with Bryce (as close as these relationships can go), but he's not as close to Boras as his father is.

In the end, may not mean much, as it's still the Lerner family.
0 x


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest