Postby SpongeWorthy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:20 am

New Chappelle special is outstanding
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Re: Stand Up Comedy and Comedians are Awesome Chit Chat

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:55 am

SpongeWorthy wrote:New Chappelle special is outstanding

I laughed many times and its worth watching (don't let Vice fool you), but his older stuff is definitely better.

Spoiler: show
I think I laughed hardest at how big of a kick Dave got out of the dead Mom joke he made when the phone went off.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:22 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
SpongeWorthy wrote:New Chappelle special is outstanding

I laughed many times and its worth watching (don't let Vice fool you), but his older stuff is definitely better.

Spoiler: show
I think I laughed hardest at how big of a kick Dave got out of the dead Mom joke he made when the phone went off.

Whoever wrote that needs to lighten up, that was hilarious.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:26 pm

I didn't really like it
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:37 pm

I enjoyed it a lot. Chappelle does seem to be more inclined to be more edge Lord-ish these days than I recall him being in the past, but the comedy he wraps that persona in is still very funny.

Gaffigan's new one was great too. His acknowledgement of his seemingly neverending torrent of horse jokes had me dying.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:21 pm

The Logan wrote:Gaffigan's new one was great too. His acknowledgement of his seemingly neverending torrent of horse jokes had me dying.

I saw this material live and agree the horse bit(s) were the highlight. Gaffigan is like standup comfort food for me, it's more or less the same 2-3 punch lines told 100 different ways, but I still laugh every time.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:55 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
The Logan wrote:Gaffigan's new one was great too. His acknowledgement of his seemingly neverending torrent of horse jokes had me dying.

I saw this material live and agree the horse bit(s) were the highlight. Gaffigan is like standup comfort food for me, it's more or less the same 2-3 punch lines told 100 different ways, but I still laugh every time.

To relevantly paraphrase Mojo: "It's a one-trick pony, but it's a pretty delicious pony"
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:51 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:(don't let Vice fool you)

Fool us about what? Did he not say all of that horsefeathers?

Like, why get defensive if you know it's horsefeathers and he's horsefeathers for saying it. You know what it is, and you still enjoy it. It's clearly working out just fine for him, so just embrace that you like someone who has embraced being a complete [expletive]. We all have our willful blind spots; what's the point of dancing around it?
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:22 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:(don't let Vice fool you)

Fool us about what? Did he not say all of that horsefeathers?

Like, why get defensive if you know it's horsefeathers and he's horsefeathers for saying it. You know what it is, and you still enjoy it. It's clearly working out just fine for him, so just embrace that you like someone who has embraced being a complete [expletive]. We all have our willful blind spots; what's the point of dancing around it?

...well that was out of nowhere.

You are trying to pick a fight I guess? 'Get defensive'? 'Dance around it'?! What are you talking about?!? NOW I'll get defensive. What blind spot are you referring to? I'm honestly asking because her article was basically just picking out the offensive points of a stand up routine (A DAVE CHAPPELLE STAND UP ROUTINE!!!) as if it isn't obvious he and most of the audience are well aware of what is he doing and saying. We know what is offensive. What utility did her cherry-picked play-by-play provide? I mean, she didn't decide to mention that Dave basically said he is completely indifferent to the deaths of thousands of "the whites" overdosing on opioids. Is that more or less callous than making insensitive jokes about the LGBTQ community? Does it honestly matter in this forum when his main aim is to get a laugh? (The other aim is speak to his truth about race and gender relations...some of which I don't agree with. The story about the woman at the routine in San Fran was cringeworthy, largely because it wasn't a joke or part of the act. And yeah, that wasn't a punchline.)

His approach comes off like a defiant rejection of change at any cost. As he keeps going down this path, drawing attention to the worst aspects of his important career, the biggest cost will be tarnishing his own legacy.

That routine IS his legacy! It has been since season 1 of The Chappelle Show. He half-heartedly defended Michael Jackson and R Kelly way back then. Of course nothing changed! The routine was even replete with Prince references, ffs. I mean...when the headline of your article is "You Can Definitely Skip Dave Chappelle's New Netflix Special" and your argument for that take is that he hasn't morphed into a LGBTQ ally after being shamed by critics...ok. Thanks for nothing. Dave Chappelle is still Dave Chappelle, news at 11. I mean, I get it. The left and marginalized communities are Chappelle fans when they agree with him when he attacks the patriarchy or white oppression or makes cool Charlie Murphy and Ashy Larry skits, or provides black-community informed commedy. When he says things they don't agree with, or even objectively horsefeathers things, they are disappointed. He's still hillarious either way. Hoping for him to change, and pretend his comedy would improve or become more noteworthy, is ridiculous.

Am I dancing?
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:37 am

There's no shortage of reviews out there that point out that he is indeed doubling down on lazy, petty horsefeathers like going after trans folks (seemingly just because he knows he can and it pisses people off), and pointlessly complaining about how unfairly people like poor, poor Louis CK and Michael Jackson have been treated (they're barely dressed up as bits; it's complete "rich old man rants at cloud" territory).

Again, you know exactly what he's doing. If you like it, just like it; don't try to dress it up like reviews like the Vice one are somehow missing the point, or twisting his specials into something they're not. They're big money showcases for a well past his prime comedian mostly coasting. Any insight or edge he had was long ago mostly replaced by exactly the kind of lazy horsefeathers described in the article. The hook isn't that he's "offensive;" that's giving him far too much credit. He's a millionaire with a giant platform putting minimal effort into his punching down. That's not offensive; it's just weak and sad and disappointing.

Yet again, if you like it, then you just like it. Like I said, we all have horsefeathers we're willing to turn a blind eye to because we like it or it's coming from someone we're a fan of. Literally every single one of us does. Scrambling and acting like people who are, very justifiably, criticizing him are actually getting it wrong, or missing the point, or, maybe most ridiculous, aren't realizing that he's still just the same ol' Chappelle as 15-20 years ago (I mean, holy horsefeathers, he's CLEARLY not, and he himself had a horsefeathering sketch about how drastically he has repeatedly changed as he's gotten older) is pointless. You like what he's doing now, so just own it. Don't just do a variation of his laughably bad "what about the REAL victims, maaaaaaaaannnnnn" nonsense and do the lifting for him when he wants to act like he's being treated unfairly for being a lazy [expletive]. He IS a lazy [expletive], and plenty of people, yourself included, enjoy it.

But that doesn't mean the criticisms of him are invalid.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:50 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:There's no shortage of reviews out there that point out that he is indeed doubling down on lazy, petty horsefeathers like going after trans folks (seemingly just because he knows he can and it pisses people off), and pointlessly complaining about how unfairly people like poor, poor Louis CK and Michael Jackson have been treated (they're barely dressed up as bits; it's complete "rich old man rants at cloud" territory).

Again, you know exactly what he's doing. If you like it, just like it; don't try to dress it up like reviews like the Vice one are somehow missing the point, or twisting his specials into something they're not. They're big money showcases for a well past his prime comedian mostly coasting. Any insight or edge he had was long ago mostly replaced by exactly the kind of lazy horsefeathers described in the article. The hook isn't that he's "offensive;" that's giving him far too much credit. He's a millionaire with a giant platform putting minimal effort into his punching down. That's not offensive; it's just weak and sad and disappointing.

Yet again, if you like it, then you just like it. Like I said, we all have horsefeathers we're willing to turn a blind eye to because we like it or it's coming from someone we're a fan of. Literally every single one of us does. Scrambling and acting like people who are, very justifiably, criticizing him are actually getting it wrong, or missing the point, or, maybe most ridiculous, aren't realizing that he's still just the same ol' Chappelle as 15-20 years ago (I mean, holy horsefeathers, he's CLEARLY not, and he himself had a horsefeathering sketch about how drastically he has repeatedly changed as he's gotten older) is pointless. You like what he's doing now, so just own it. Don't just do a variation of his laughably bad "what about the REAL victims, maaaaaaaaannnnnn" nonsense and do the lifting for him when he wants to act like he's being treated unfairly for being a lazy [expletive]. He IS a lazy [expletive], and plenty of people, yourself included, enjoy it.

But that doesn't mean the criticisms of him are invalid.

Lol. I SAID his old stand ups were better. So you really hate his lazy stand up but will go to bat for a really lazy critique of said lazy stand up. Awesome. Jerk yourself off with a clear conscience.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:52 am

And honestly, the thing that struck me the most about watching this special IS how lazy it all is. Like, what happened to this guy? Literally none of it came even remotely close offending or shocking me or whatever the horsefeathers; if I closed my eyes and added some wacky sound effects it would have just been any one of a zillion knockoff Morning Zoo shock jock-types from the last 30 years. Like, he lead off with the whole Bourdain thing, and it was just there. There weren't really many jokes or punchlines so much as, "oh, boy, can you believe I'm bring THIS up?!? Boy, ain't I a stinker?!?" So much of it felt like a turn of the millennium comedian's idea of what passes for super edgy comedy, which was made double sad by how much better Chappelle was compared to the type of comedians that traded in that back then.

Like, how did this dude go from this...

...to just flat out, "those kids Michael Jackson molested (well, the ones I believe) were lucky that that happened to them, and if I was him I would have horsefeathers Macaulay Culkin first." OK? What is this, horsefeathering Mancow?
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:57 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Lol. I SAID his old stand ups were better.

Congratulations? I was never really worried about whether or not you did, but hey, thanks for sharing.

So you really hate his lazy stand up but will go to bat for a really lazy critique of said lazy stand up.

Because all it did was report the same thing I saw. What did it get wrong?

Awesome. Jerk yourself off with a clear conscience.

It's interesting (weird? funny?) that you even felt like you had to defend your praise for the special in the first place. Like, nobody mentioned it, or any criticisms of it, yet you felt like you had to talk about how you liked it only in the context of warning people to ignore a critical take on it. I mean, in a vacuum you did a very slight variation of "FAKE NEWS!!!!!!!" apropro of absolutely nothing because...why? If you just liked it, why were so worried from the jump about taking down a critical review? Embrace that horsefeathers, homie. We like what we like.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:58 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:And honestly, the thing that struck me the most about watching this special IS how lazy it all is. Like, what happened to this guy? Literally none of it came even remotely close offending or shocking me or whatever the horsefeathers; if I closed my eyes and added some wacky sound effects it would have just been any one of a zillion knockoff Morning Zoo shock jock-types from the last 30 years. Like, he lead off with the whole Bourdain thing, and it was just there. There weren't really many jokes or punchlines so much as, "oh, boy, can you believe I'm bring THIS up?!? Boy, ain't I a stinker?!?" So much of it felt like a turn of the millennium comedian's idea of what passes for super edgy comedy, which was made double sad by how much better Chappelle was compared to the type of comedians that traded in that back then.

...to just flat out, "those kids Michael Jackson molested (well, the ones I believe) were lucky that that happened to them, and if I was him I would have horsefeathers Macaulay Culkin first." OK? What is this, horsefeathering Mancow?

...I can't tell if you are being serious right now. The Macaulay part was solely for the "he's really hard to catch!" punchline. If you don't like it, ok. Pedophilia jokes obviously aren't for everone. But how different is that from jokes about Jackson putting glitter on his pubes? Answer: none. Like I said earlier, its all a retread. What "legacy" is he protecting, as if that's something he cares about in the first place? I mean, you do realize Dave just peed on a lady in that sketch, right?
Last edited by JudasIscariotTheBird on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:06 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
It's interesting (weird? funny?) that you even felt like you had to defend your praise for the special in the first place. Like, nobody mentioned it, or any criticisms of it, yet you felt like you had to talk about how you liked it only in the context of warning people to ignore a critical take on it.

In what world does disagreeing with a lazy critique that merely deadpans the racy segments of an always racy routine count as being defensive? Seriously, horsefeathers off, please.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:07 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:And honestly, the thing that struck me the most about watching this special IS how lazy it all is. Like, what happened to this guy? Literally none of it came even remotely close offending or shocking me or whatever the horsefeathers; if I closed my eyes and added some wacky sound effects it would have just been any one of a zillion knockoff Morning Zoo shock jock-types from the last 30 years. Like, he lead off with the whole Bourdain thing, and it was just there. There weren't really many jokes or punchlines so much as, "oh, boy, can you believe I'm bring THIS up?!? Boy, ain't I a stinker?!?" So much of it felt like a turn of the millennium comedian's idea of what passes for super edgy comedy, which was made double sad by how much better Chappelle was compared to the type of comedians that traded in that back then.

...I can't tell if you are being serious right now. The Macaulay part was solely for the "he's really hard to catch!" punchline. If you don't like it, ok. Pedophilia jokes obviously aren't for everone. But how different is that from jokes about Jackson putting glitter on his pubes? Answer: none. Like I said earlier, its all a retread. What "legacy" is he protecting, as if that's something he cares about in the first place?

Because that whole sketch is about the absurdity of how the justice system treats celebrities, then how it gets even more absurd when race is involved, and then just the even further ridiculousness of how defensive people are willing to be (or how they're willing to hang someone out to dry) when the celebrity accused is or isn't "one of their own," or how relevant/beloved they still are. horsefeathering layers, man!

The Home Alone joke is a horsefeathers, horsefeathers, weak punchline for all of the flop sweat heavy lifting of talking about how he doesn't believe the accusations against Jackson, while simultaneously saying that if a kid was blown by MJ then they should have thought it was the greatest thing ever. Yeah, it's just me saying I don't like it, but I don't like it not because it's "so offensive;" it's because I think it's a really crappy joke buried under a pile of pointless punching down. That sketch? Punching up. At celebrities, at the justice system, at mob mentality. Compare that to the hot takes he keeps reeling off about those subjects in these new specials. All the dude does is complain about how hard it is for rich, famous people.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:08 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:

...I can't tell if you are being serious right now. The Macaulay part was solely for the "he's really hard to catch!" punchline. If you don't like it, ok. Pedophilia jokes obviously aren't for everone. But how different is that from jokes about Jackson putting glitter on his pubes? Answer: none. Like I said earlier, its all a retread. What "legacy" is he protecting, as if that's something he cares about in the first place?

Because that whole sketch is about the absurdity of how the justice system treats celebrities, then how it gets even more absurd when race is involved, and then just the even further ridiculousness of how defensive people are willing to be (or how they're willing to hang someone out to dry) when the celebrity accused is or isn't "one of their own," or how relevant/beloved they still are. horsefeathering layers, man!

The Home Alone joke is a horsefeathers, horsefeathers, weak punchline for all of the flop sweat heavy lifting of talking about how he doesn't believe the accusations against Jackson, while simultaneously saying that if a kid was blown by MJ then they should have thought it was the greatest thing ever. Yeah, it's just me saying I don't like it, but I don't like it not because it's "so offensive;" it's because I think it's a really crappy joke buried under a pile of pointless punching down. That sketch? Punching up. At celebrities, at the justice system, at mob mentality. Compare that to the hot takes he keeps reeling off about those subjects in these new specials. All the dude does is complain about how hard it is for rich, famous people.

Lol. How on horsefeathering Earth can you get the joke 15 years ago and not get the exact same joke when its told last week?! What in the hell is going on?!
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:08 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
It's interesting (weird? funny?) that you even felt like you had to defend your praise for the special in the first place. Like, nobody mentioned it, or any criticisms of it, yet you felt like you had to talk about how you liked it only in the context of warning people to ignore a critical take on it.

In what world does disagreeing with a lazy critique that merely deadpans the racy segments of an always racy routine count as being defensive? Seriously, horsefeathers off, please.

"Racy?" horsefeathering get off the computer and go to bed, grandpa.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:10 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

"Racy?" horsefeathering get off the computer and go to bed, grandpa.

Didn't I ask you to horsefeathers off earlier?
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:10 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Lol. How on horsefeathering Earth can you get the joke 15 years ago and not get the exact same joke when its told last week?! What in the hell is going on?!

The more you try SO hard to come off like this...

...the funnier it gets.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:12 am

In somewhat related (and completely unsurprising) news, Pete Davidson melted down and went after the crowd at a standup gig the other day:

Personally, I think the tiny niche genre of famous comedians who completely cannot handle the world at all when things don't go exactly their way has become its own awesome form of comedy.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:15 am

Ok, lets back up. You can un horsefeathers off. What is it you want me to "own?"
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:17 am

Dude, I explained this all very clearly; it's back there if you want to read it. This whole forced, "what is even going on?!?!" thing is even more tiresome than I am.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:18 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Dude, I explained this all very clearly; it's back there if you want to read it. This whole forced, "what is even going on?!?!" thing is even more tiresome than I am.

So you want me to own all of the things I stated as clear as I possibly could back there?
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Social”