https://www.dallasnews.com/news/educati ... len-keller
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Derwood wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:At this point I hope that Kav is indeed confirmed, so we can jetison Trump, Pence, and Kav and then replace him with Garland (purely for ironic purposes) and call it square.

Don't think I follow.

Are you not familiar with the long and rich history of SCOTUS justices being removed from the bench?

You can the same about Presidents, but that doesn't change the public discourse on the matter, nor the possibility that we are dealing with felons in these positions.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Derwood wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Don't think I follow.

Are you not familiar with the long and rich history of SCOTUS justices being removed from the bench?

You can the same about Presidents, but that doesn't change the public discourse on the matter, nor the possibility that we are dealing with felons in these positions.

None of Nixon's SCOTUS appointments were undone when he resigned
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:22 pm

I don't think he is talking about impeaching him because Trump nominated him, but rather for the rapin.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Under Thomas Jefferson, the US House voted to impeach Justice Samuel Chase for being a loud mouth Federalist who was overtly partisan. In the late ‘60s Justice Abe Fortas resigned under threats of impeachment because of his ties to a corrupt Wall Street firm. There is precedent.
1 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:12 pm

Dp
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:47 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:I don't think he is talking about impeaching him because Trump nominated him, but rather for the rapin.

Or the lyin', or both.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Derwood wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Derwood wrote:

None of Nixon's SCOTUS appointments were undone when he resigned

To my knowledge, Nixon did not appoint justices that (very probably) perjured themselves during their hearings, nor did they have FBI investigations into past sexual abuses. I think pushing through a vote on Kav is a big, big mistake on the part of Republicans. It makes them more vulnerable in the upcoming elections, and he seems like an impeachment candidate if there ever was one.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:19 pm

Like I said, there is precedent, and if the HS allegation is true or he lied to Congress, there should be impeachment proceedings. That said, I seriously worry about our democracy if/when impeaching a SCOTUS justice becomes a new thing.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:54 am

NOLA wrote:Like I said, there is precedent, and if the HS allegation is true or he lied to Congress, there should be impeachment proceedings. That said, I seriously worry about our democracy if/when impeaching a SCOTUS justice becomes a new thing.

...we are way past worrying about stuff like that when it is warranted. At least I am.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:59 am

5 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:01 am

This is pretty good.
2 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:38 pm

It is awful whenever anyone loses a life in a storm, and if a house floods, it is a disaster in their world. That said, not every storm is the next Katrina or Harvey, and it’s irresponsible for news agencies to keep trying to make it so. Hyping every storm is exactly why most people don’t evacuate that have the means, because they hear the same schtick with every approaching system. Most people know what to expect from these, and frankly I would have also stayed had I lived in Myrtle Beach once I saw it weakening.

Sorry, but that bugs the horsefeathers out of me.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:43 pm

NOLA wrote:It is awful whenever anyone loses a life in a storm, and if a house floods, it is a disaster in their world. That said, not every storm is the next Katrina or Harvey, and it’s irresponsible for news agencies to keep trying to make it so. Hyping every storm is exactly why most people don’t evacuate that have the means, because they hear the same schtick with every approaching system. Most people know what to expect from these, and frankly I would have also stayed had I lived in Myrtle Beach once I saw it weakening.

Isn't the flooding still projected to get worse?
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:51 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
NOLA wrote:It is awful whenever anyone loses a life in a storm, and if a house floods, it is a disaster in their world. That said, not every storm is the next Katrina or Harvey, and it’s irresponsible for news agencies to keep trying to make it so. Hyping every storm is exactly why most people don’t evacuate that have the means, because they hear the same schtick with every approaching system. Most people know what to expect from these, and frankly I would have also stayed had I lived in Myrtle Beach once I saw it weakening.

If you live in a low lying area then of course you should evacuate. This is a rain event, not a wind or surge event. If you do not live near rivers or streams in flood plains, this storm is a big inconvenience, nothing more. Not saying that lives and property aren’t affected, just that the hype doesn’t match the reality, and that creates distrust in the media the next time a big one comes.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Trump down to 41.2 approval of likely voters and dropping like a stone.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:43 pm

CubinNY wrote:Trump down to 41.2 approval of likely voters and dropping like a stone.

Several polls have shown his overall approval stands at 36%. I know there is a baseline percentage of Trumpians that will never sway, but that percentage is below 35%, IMO. This tariff nonsense and his behavior after McCain passed is making a dent in his base, much more so than Muller.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:02 pm

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:31 pm

NOLA wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

If you live in a low lying area then of course you should evacuate. This is a rain event, not a wind or surge event. If you do not live near rivers or streams in flood plains, this storm is a big inconvenience, nothing more. Not saying that lives and property aren’t affected, just that the hype doesn’t match the reality, and that creates distrust in the media the next time a big one comes.

[expletive], there is both a weather thread AND a journalism thread, you monster.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:55 pm

Translation: "Investigating crime is a crime!"
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Derwood wrote:

Translation: "Investigating crime is a crime!"

I imagine that Trump has convinced himself he did nothing wrong. He keeps calling things unfair in tweet after tweet. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump just paces in circles when no one is around muttering to himself confused as to why everyone doesn't love him. However, he's so grandiosely narcissistic I wouldn't be surprised either if he's completely not worried and just pissed off.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:08 pm

trump, like every narcissist ever, considers himself the protagonist of reality.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Found this today and plan to use it frequently
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:19 pm

Derwood wrote:Image

Found this today and plan to use it frequently

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:33 pm

0 x

Return to “Social”