Politics & Current Events

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68170
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1004
x 1942

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Texas State Board of Education strikes again:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/educati ... len-keller
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3298
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 3063
x 1313

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Derwood wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:At this point I hope that Kav is indeed confirmed, so we can jetison Trump, Pence, and Kav and then replace him with Garland (purely for ironic purposes) and call it square.

Don't think I follow.


Are you not familiar with the long and rich history of SCOTUS justices being removed from the bench?

You can the same about Presidents, but that doesn't change the public discourse on the matter, nor the possibility that we are dealing with felons in these positions.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68170
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1004
x 1942

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Derwood wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Don't think I follow.


Are you not familiar with the long and rich history of SCOTUS justices being removed from the bench?

You can the same about Presidents, but that doesn't change the public discourse on the matter, nor the possibility that we are dealing with felons in these positions.


None of Nixon's SCOTUS appointments were undone when he resigned
0 x

User avatar
CoolHandLuke
All-Star
Posts: 4167
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Mount Prospect
x 24
x 108

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:22 pm

I don't think he is talking about impeaching him because Trump nominated him, but rather for the rapin.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 3678
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 579
x 352
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Under Thomas Jefferson, the US House voted to impeach Justice Samuel Chase for being a loud mouth Federalist who was overtly partisan. In the late ‘60s Justice Abe Fortas resigned under threats of impeachment because of his ties to a corrupt Wall Street firm. There is precedent.
1 x

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 3678
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 579
x 352
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:12 pm

Dp
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3298
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 3063
x 1313

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:47 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:I don't think he is talking about impeaching him because Trump nominated him, but rather for the rapin.

Or the lyin', or both.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3298
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 3063
x 1313

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Derwood wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Are you not familiar with the long and rich history of SCOTUS justices being removed from the bench?

You can the same about Presidents, but that doesn't change the public discourse on the matter, nor the possibility that we are dealing with felons in these positions.


None of Nixon's SCOTUS appointments were undone when he resigned

To my knowledge, Nixon did not appoint justices that (very probably) perjured themselves during their hearings, nor did they have FBI investigations into past sexual abuses. I think pushing through a vote on Kav is a big, big mistake on the part of Republicans. It makes them more vulnerable in the upcoming elections, and he seems like an impeachment candidate if there ever was one.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 3678
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 579
x 352
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:19 pm

Like I said, there is precedent, and if the HS allegation is true or he lied to Congress, there should be impeachment proceedings. That said, I seriously worry about our democracy if/when impeaching a SCOTUS justice becomes a new thing.
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3298
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 3063
x 1313

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:54 am

NOLA wrote:Like I said, there is precedent, and if the HS allegation is true or he lied to Congress, there should be impeachment proceedings. That said, I seriously worry about our democracy if/when impeaching a SCOTUS justice becomes a new thing.

...we are way past worrying about stuff like that when it is warranted. At least I am.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6823
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 117
x 1915

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:59 am

5 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1512
x 532

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Regular Show » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:01 am



This is pretty good.
2 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 3678
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 579
x 352
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:38 pm

It is awful whenever anyone loses a life in a storm, and if a house floods, it is a disaster in their world. That said, not every storm is the next Katrina or Harvey, and it’s irresponsible for news agencies to keep trying to make it so. Hyping every storm is exactly why most people don’t evacuate that have the means, because they hear the same schtick with every approaching system. Most people know what to expect from these, and frankly I would have also stayed had I lived in Myrtle Beach once I saw it weakening.

Sorry, but that bugs the horsefeathers out of me.
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 11967
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 1605
x 619

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:43 pm

NOLA wrote:It is awful whenever anyone loses a life in a storm, and if a house floods, it is a disaster in their world. That said, not every storm is the next Katrina or Harvey, and it’s irresponsible for news agencies to keep trying to make it so. Hyping every storm is exactly why most people don’t evacuate that have the means, because they hear the same schtick with every approaching system. Most people know what to expect from these, and frankly I would have also stayed had I lived in Myrtle Beach once I saw it weakening.

Sorry, but that bugs the horsefeathers out of me.

Isn't the flooding still projected to get worse?
0 x
Image

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 3678
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 579
x 352
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:51 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
NOLA wrote:It is awful whenever anyone loses a life in a storm, and if a house floods, it is a disaster in their world. That said, not every storm is the next Katrina or Harvey, and it’s irresponsible for news agencies to keep trying to make it so. Hyping every storm is exactly why most people don’t evacuate that have the means, because they hear the same schtick with every approaching system. Most people know what to expect from these, and frankly I would have also stayed had I lived in Myrtle Beach once I saw it weakening.

Sorry, but that bugs the horsefeathers out of me.

Isn't the flooding still projected to get worse?

If you live in a low lying area then of course you should evacuate. This is a rain event, not a wind or surge event. If you do not live near rivers or streams in flood plains, this storm is a big inconvenience, nothing more. Not saying that lives and property aren’t affected, just that the hype doesn’t match the reality, and that creates distrust in the media the next time a big one comes.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22366
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 207
x 485

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubinNY » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Trump down to 41.2 approval of likely voters and dropping like a stone.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 3678
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 579
x 352
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:43 pm

CubinNY wrote:Trump down to 41.2 approval of likely voters and dropping like a stone.

Several polls have shown his overall approval stands at 36%. I know there is a baseline percentage of Trumpians that will never sway, but that percentage is below 35%, IMO. This tariff nonsense and his behavior after McCain passed is making a dent in his base, much more so than Muller.
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1512
x 532

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Regular Show » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:02 pm



0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77587
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9783
x 12923

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:31 pm

NOLA wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
NOLA wrote:It is awful whenever anyone loses a life in a storm, and if a house floods, it is a disaster in their world. That said, not every storm is the next Katrina or Harvey, and it’s irresponsible for news agencies to keep trying to make it so. Hyping every storm is exactly why most people don’t evacuate that have the means, because they hear the same schtick with every approaching system. Most people know what to expect from these, and frankly I would have also stayed had I lived in Myrtle Beach once I saw it weakening.

Sorry, but that bugs the horsefeathers out of me.

Isn't the flooding still projected to get worse?

If you live in a low lying area then of course you should evacuate. This is a rain event, not a wind or surge event. If you do not live near rivers or streams in flood plains, this storm is a big inconvenience, nothing more. Not saying that lives and property aren’t affected, just that the hype doesn’t match the reality, and that creates distrust in the media the next time a big one comes.


[expletive], there is both a weather thread AND a journalism thread, you monster.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68170
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1004
x 1942

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:55 pm



Translation: "Investigating crime is a crime!"
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22366
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 207
x 485

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubinNY » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Derwood wrote:

Translation: "Investigating crime is a crime!"

I imagine that Trump has convinced himself he did nothing wrong. He keeps calling things unfair in tweet after tweet. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump just paces in circles when no one is around muttering to himself confused as to why everyone doesn't love him. However, he's so grandiosely narcissistic I wouldn't be surprised either if he's completely not worried and just pissed off.
0 x

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32564
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2237
x 5806
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:08 pm

trump, like every narcissist ever, considers himself the protagonist of reality.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68170
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1004
x 1942

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Image

Found this today and plan to use it frequently
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3298
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 3063
x 1313

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:19 pm

Derwood wrote:Image

Found this today and plan to use it frequently

Image
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6823
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 117
x 1915

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:33 pm

0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sweetpeteman and 7 guests