Politics & Current Events

Regular Show
All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Regular Show » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:13 pm

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:24 pm

horsefeathers did Bernie do a great job on Fox News. I bet every old person who watched him loved it.

I know he’s not perfect but I think he’s got the best shot to beat trump.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 am

I've wanted to like Bernie. Dude talks a good policy game, but I just don't like the cut of his jib. Among other things, I get this feeling he wants to talk policy more than actually enact & administer it. His views on eliminating the filibuster are a case in point. How does he expect to pass even a small part of his stated agenda without eliminating it? He's not the only Dem candidate with this issue, of course, simply the most glaring to me.

Add the fact he's old as dirt, and my preference is having someone other than old white men in power, means he's not the candidate I'll vote for in the primary.

JMO.
2 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:05 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I've wanted to like Bernie. Dude talks a good policy game, but I just don't like the cut of his jib. Among other things, I get this feeling he wants to talk policy more than actually enact & administer it. His views on eliminating the filibuster are a case in point. How does he expect to pass even a small part of his stated agenda without eliminating it? He's not the only Dem candidate with this issue, of course, simply the most glaring to me.

Add the fact he's old as dirt, and my preference is having someone other than old white men in power, means he's not the candidate I'll vote for in the primary.

JMO.

100%. He’s pretty good at being a contrarian to both sides of the aisle and is useful in pushing the party left, but I have serious doubts he could win or ever be effective if he did. He needs to go away and his minions need to get a life.
0 x

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:26 am

That is all true about sanders, but he has succeeded in spreading a progressive agenda to Fox News olds and also made Donald trump VERY MAD with Fox News.

The second item delights me to no end and might also save our country.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:46 am

1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:56 am

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:04 am

I won't pretend to know much about this guy, other than his being a member of the horsefeathers -up Freedom Caucus (w/ which he is apparently at odds these days), but is he possibly the only truly principled Conservative in federal elected office these days?

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 am

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:58 am

poor Omar and what a childish horsefeathers. lets just horsefeathers up a national park

http://www.citypages.com/news/trump-bra ... kwlsB_-Qg4
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:06 am

Sanders is fine, I guess, and I would vote for him vs. Trump 10 times out of 10.

But all things being even close to equal, I'd prefer a non-white, non-male, non-straight and/or non-old person if at all possible
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:19 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Derwood wrote:Sanders is fine, I guess, and I would vote for him vs. Trump 10 times out of 10.

But all things being even close to equal, I'd prefer a non-white, non-male, non-straight and/or non-old person if at all possible

Do you have someone in mind? It's really disappointing to me that Warren seems to have become a non-factor as she seems by far the most prepared to do the job. I'd love to get her onto the ticket at least at the VP. From there, my top preference is just whoever gets the most democratic voters out, but in an ideal world, it'd be someone whose policies line up pretty closely to Bernie, and if he keeps leading the polls I don't see why it shouldn't him.

(This is assuming that, like me, want nothing to do with Biden, for all the reasons listed above, plus all the other creepy stuff.)
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:30 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Derwood wrote:Sanders is fine, I guess, and I would vote for him vs. Trump 10 times out of 10.

Do you have someone in mind? It's really disappointing to me that Warren seems to have become a non-factor as she seems by far the most prepared to do the job. I'd love to get her onto the ticket at least at the VP. From there, my top preference is just whoever gets the most democratic voters out, but in an ideal world, it'd be someone whose policies line up pretty closely to Bernie, and if he keeps leading the polls I don't see why it shouldn't him.

(This is assuming that, like me, want nothing to do with Biden, for all the reasons listed above, plus all the other creepy stuff.)

It's too early to pick favorites. I've like what Mayor Pete has had to say (so far), but there is a lot of talking that still needs to happen. My hope is that the DNC learns from 2016 and doesn't put all its eggs in one basket (likely Biden) before giving the field a chance to establish themselves
1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Derwood wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

It's too early to pick favorites. I've like what Mayor Pete has had to say (so far), but there is a lot of talking that still needs to happen. My hope is that the DNC learns from 2016 and doesn't put all its eggs in one basket (likely Biden) before giving the field a chance to establish themselves

It sounds like the establishment, more middling democrats are right now starting to line up behind Mayor Pete, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when Biden inevitably declares. I know ultimately this isn't a meritocracy, or a decision made purely on policies, and ultimately we just need to win, so I'll vote whoever comes out of it. I just would prefer someone who's done something beyond mayor a small town that's been democratic since 1972.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:57 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Derwood wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

It sounds like the establishment, more middling democrats are right now starting to line up behind Mayor Pete, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when Biden inevitably declares. I know ultimately this isn't a meritocracy, or a decision made purely on policies, and ultimately we just need to win, so I'll vote whoever comes out of it. I just would prefer someone who's done something beyond mayor a small town that's been democratic since 1972.

That's fair. I also worry about the insane dog-whistling Trump would do about Pete's sexuality, and how that could become a dangerous situation for the LGBTQ people in our country
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:21 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Derwood wrote:I'd prefer a non-white, non-male, non-straight and/or non-old person if at all possible

Do you have someone in mind?

That's So Raven 2020
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:48 pm

my parents live in the south bend television market and have always voted republican as far as i know, and they both like pete buttigieg.

so based on that very small sample, maybe he is the guy
0 x

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Man, Ive never given a second’s thought to what race, sex, or orientation I want my next President to be.
4 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:29 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
Derwood wrote:I'd prefer a non-white, non-male, non-straight and/or non-old person if at all possible

Do you have someone in mind?

That's So Raven 2020

thats the only way we'll get Cory in the House
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Bote McBoteface wrote:

Man, Ive never given a second’s thought to what race, sex, or orientation I want my next President to be.

That's fine. I'm not saying it needs to be everyone's criteria. But for me, I've seen enough of what old white men can/can't do in government, and I'm ready to try something else
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Derwood wrote:
Bote McBoteface wrote:

That's fine. I'm not saying it needs to be everyone's criteria. But for me, I've seen enough of what old white men can/can't do in government, and I'm ready to try something else

I don't really prefer a non-old white male for the purposes of what they'd do once they actually got into office as much as I prefer a non-old white male because I think with the current demographic makeup of democratic voters, it makes it more likely that that person will actually win. Given that the democrats haven't had an 'old white man' in office in 19 years, I think it's a little unfair to use that criteria to write off someone like Sanders, who is generally disliked by most other 'old white men'.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:09 pm

squally1313 wrote:

IMO, VP is such a neutered position that I wouldn't want Warren to get stuck there. I actually think that's the right spot for one of the younger candidates who doesn't get the nod, to ideally set them up to be able to run with a bigger profile.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

IMO, VP is such a neutered position that I wouldn't want Warren to get stuck there. I actually think that's the right spot for one of the younger candidates who doesn't get the nod, to ideally set them up to be able to run with a bigger profile.

That's fair, and forward thinking. I just really like her expertise and positions, and would like them put in a position of power.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:49 pm

Nathan J. Robinson notes some of the blemishes on Mayor Pete's character:
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/all-about-pete

Pete Buttigieg is trying the same thing. Look at the number of boxes he checks. He’s from the Rust Belt so he’s authentic, but he went to Harvard so he’s not a rube, but he’s from a small city so he’s relatable, but he’s gay so he’s got coastal appeal, but he’s a veteran so his sexuality won’t alienate rural people. This is literally the level of political thinking that is involved in the hype around Buttigieg.

Mayors can’t solve all problems. What’s disturbing about Buttigieg is that he doesn’t even seem very interested in the problems at all. Someone should ask him: Why does his book spend less time talking about poverty than about the time he played Rhapsody in Blue on the piano with the South Bend Symphony Orchestra?
1 x

Return to “Social”