Politics & Current Events

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:24 am

And there it is. The utterly predictable kind of "take personal responsibility" stiff upper lip I totally expect from conservatives. Democrats drove GOP'ers to Trump. Yep, that's it. Thanks Obama. Cannot wait for even more screeds like this from the #nevertrump contingent. They're itching to absolve themselves for the racists they courted and the dark money infrastructure they built to create this monster.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:30 am

1 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:13 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Has nothing to do with confidence and a hell of a lot to do with a politician not wanting to likely lose back to back senate races. He’s better off running for nothing for 8 years than being a 2-time loser in true state he’s supposed to deliver
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:59 am

Trump can't fill a hall outside of the south. I wonder where the Trumps are going to live after this is all over. If they try to go back to NYC they won't be able to show their faces in public.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 pm

CubinNY wrote:Trump can't fill a hall outside of the south. I wonder where the Trumps are going to live after this is all over. If they try to go back to NYC they won't be able to show their faces in public.

Russia
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:06 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Has nothing to do with confidence and a hell of a lot to do with a politician not wanting to likely lose back to back senate races. He’s better off running for nothing for 8 years than being a 2-time loser in true state he’s supposed to deliver

So Hickenlooper is a no duh for Colorado senate, but Beto might as well stay home because Texas is more competitive, huh? I mean, Beto winning a senate seat is an order of magnitude more likely than becoming President so...ok.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:17 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

So Hickenlooper is a no duh for Colorado senate, but Beto might as well stay home because Texas is more competitive, huh? I mean, Beto winning a senate seat is an order of magnitude more likely than becoming President so...ok.

I think SSR was looking at it from Beto's viewpoint, not how our previous discussion went (which was about what was good for the Democratic party/the country). I would much rather have Beto against Cruz in 2020 with Beto having like a 45% chance of winning. But if you're Beto and you lose that race, I don't really know where your political career goes from there.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:18 pm

It’s John Cornyn, not Cruz, but yes that was my thought process. I’d handicap him way worse than 45% chance, though apparently Cornyn is less popular than I realized. I don’t think the media saturation allows for another Nixon-like comeback for a politician anymore. I don’t know maybe Trump makes it so there are no rules but if your resume is a 2 time Senate loser and a primary DNF, I think you’re toast
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:46 pm

I just don't see how staying in the race where you're polling behind Andrew Yang around 2% is more politcally desirable that taking a shot at a senate seat. The longer he stays in the more he humiliates himself nationally. At worst he makes it competetive enough for the RNCC to spend money there and he could drive up the Dem turnout in Texas on election day. Not a great shot, but what does he have to lose?
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:16 pm

NOLA wrote:I just don't see how staying in the race where you're polling behind Andrew Yang around 2% is more politcally desirable that taking a shot at a senate seat. The longer he stays in the more he humiliates himself nationally. At worst he makes it competetive enough for the RNCC to spend money there and he could drive up the Dem turnout in Texas on election day. Not a great shot, but what does he have to lose?

SSR's point was understood, and while I lean toward your take, I have to assume Beto's goals are to try and maintain a national presence. I think he's just shooting for a cabinet position in the next Dem admin, maybe? While I think it'd be better for Dems if he tried for the Cornyn seat, I can totally understand the personal motivation.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:17 pm

5 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:33 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
NOLA wrote:I just don't see how staying in the race where you're polling behind Andrew Yang around 2% is more politcally desirable that taking a shot at a senate seat. The longer he stays in the more he humiliates himself nationally. At worst he makes it competetive enough for the RNCC to spend money there and he could drive up the Dem turnout in Texas on election day. Not a great shot, but what does he have to lose?

SSR's point was understood, and while I lean toward your take, I have to assume Beto's goals are to try and maintain a national presence. I think he's just shooting for a cabinet position in the next Dem admin, maybe? While I think it'd be better for Dems if he tried for the Cornyn seat, I can totally understand the personal motivation.

But if you look at it soley from his point of view, would it not be better for him to run for Senate in Texas as an underdog than to perform so far below expectations nationally? A cabinet post likely isn't hinging on him staying in the race at this point.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:40 pm

NOLA wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

But if you look at it soley from his point of view, would it not be better for him to run for Senate in Texas as an underdog than to perform so far below expectations nationally? A cabinet post likely isn't hinging on him staying in the race at this point.

Losing a Texas Senate race twice in a row puts him in a tough spot if his goal is just Texas Senator, much less some national post. He wants a cabinet seat, or is maybe holding out hope for a VP spot. The best thing for him is to get a bunch of sound bites on the debate stage and at the convention next year.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:59 pm

NOLA wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I think Beto's team have done the math and decided they are staying in this for as long as possible, for whatever reason(s). I'm likewise not quite as sure that one failed Senate run + being a <2% polling presidential candidate who (probably) drops out before the primary season is substantively "better" than a two-time failed Senate candidate, but YMMV. I guess drooping out is better than losing to Cornyn so there is that. All of this does tell me some things about the liklihood Texas is in play to turn blue this cycle.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:16 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:18 pm

0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:32 pm

squally1313 wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

I think SSR was looking at it from Beto's viewpoint, not how our previous discussion went (which was about what was good for the Democratic party/the country). I would much rather have Beto against Cruz in 2020 with Beto having like a 45% chance of winning. But if you're Beto and you lose that race, I don't really know where your political career goes from there.

I also think it doesn't make sense to just do nothing until 2024, which is when Cruz would be up for election again. What else is the guy going to do but run for the Senate seat again in 2020?
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:38 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I'm really trying to figure out what's going on here. Was there a wedding reception in the oval office?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 pm

NOLA wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I'm really trying to figure out what's going on here. Was there a wedding reception in the oval office?

his gaudy golf course in nj
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:50 pm

NOLA wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Ever watch Braveheart? Recall that wedding scene when the English local governor came and claimed prima noctis? That's the joke.

Also, as jersey said, wedding appears to have been at Trump's golf course in NJ.
3 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:33 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
NOLA wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Ever watch Braveheart? Recall that wedding scene when the English local governor came and claimed prima noctis? That's the joke.

Also, as jersey said, wedding appears to have been at Trump's golf course in NJ.

Yeah, I’ve seen Braveheart but I don’t remember that scene. For the next gag is he doing a Lethal Weapon spoof?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:41 pm

NOLA wrote:Yeah, I’ve seen Braveheart but I don’t remember that scene. For the next gag is he doing a Lethal Weapon spoof?

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:28 pm

I posted about the NYT 1619 Project in the history thread. GOPers/conservatives are showing their true selves in the various ways they've condemned the very idea of the 1619 Project.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:02 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I posted about the NYT 1619 Project in the history thread. GOPers/conservatives are showing their true selves in the various ways they've condemned the very idea of the 1619 Project.

But preserving statues of Confederate Civil War heroes, that's just protecting history, man.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:20 pm

Larry Kudlow was visibly drunk on FOX News this morning
1 x

Return to “Social”