Politics & Current Events

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Bloomberg preparing to file to enter Democratic primary

I thought he'd be a good president at one point.

This is terrible news.

Why is this bad news?

Because it's another freaking candidate just when we started whittling down the excess.

Also: horsefeathering 77 year-old billionaire.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:48 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Bloomberg preparing to file to enter Democratic primary

I thought he'd be a good president at one point.

This is terrible news.

Why is this bad news?

Because it's another freaking candidate just when we started whittling down the excess.

do you actually think he'll have any impact? like, Ross Perot? i don't
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Why is this bad news?

...he's running in the Dem primary
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:59 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Because it's another freaking candidate just when we started whittling down the excess.

...he's running in the Dem primary

yes, but Perot was the last memorable candidate to enter a race late in the game and actually have a meaningful impact. Independent, sure and that's different then Bloomberg

also, I might be dating myself
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:51 pm

Well...right wing propaganda does a lot of heavy lifting for their financial interests, while they get to voice their not-right-wing views. &/or they've decided they can't make bank à la Murdoch by doing such. Predictably, responses to this tweet include "but, but you've already got [whatever proxy for MSM] shilling leftist viewpoints!!"
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:11 am

You'll never have a centralized progressive propaganda outfit with the success or reach of Fox News. The right wing in America is protofascist, eager to embrace a singular message and identity. The left is a diverse coalition of factions with broadly different goals and belief systems.
9 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:24 am

Bloomberg is irrelevant and has no potential voting base in the Democratic primaries, but it only feels like he's jumping in late because the whole thing started stupidly early this time around.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:45 am

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:22 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:You'll never have a centralized progressive propaganda outfit with the success or reach of Fox News. The right wing in America is protofascist, eager to embrace a singular message and identity. The left is a diverse coalition of factions with broadly different goals and belief systems.

Yeah, also higher education plays a big factor and the ability to discern fake news from real news (which old people really struggle with).

I think it's a good thing that there is no Fox News-equivalent on the left personally. No, MSNBC doesn't count and kinda sucks (Morning Joe is terrible)...
Last edited by Regular Show on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:29 am

This is sickening. I got into an argument with an "Uncle" (not really my uncle) about how Erdogan is bad and is doing a lot of evil things. The uncle was defending him and saying he is one of the few leaders willing to criticize Israel and anti-Islamic policies.

I got yelled at and well we've never really discussed him since...
2 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:49 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:There's this baffling disconnect between the hordes of people who stan for the rich/think they're inevitably going to be rich in how they, of course, think along the lines of, "oh, if I had all that money I would spend it on SO MUCH horsefeathers." And they would, and actual rich people do...but if you just keep getting richer, especially once you're in the horsefeathering BILLIONS, so much of that is nothing more than just hoarding wealth. Like, you're not even getting to keep it in a Scrooge McDuck setup to swim in...it's just piling up in the ether, faster than you can spend it. And yet people will seemingly fight to the damn death for the rarified uber-rich to be able to do that without being taxed what will ultimately amount to little more than a small dent in how obscenely wealthy they are. I really don't get it. Like, even from the standpoint of, "I KNOW I WILL BE RICH," the idea of being incensed that someone would have something, like, $5 billion instead of $10 billion (which is an extreme example nowhere near how much these goons would pay in taxes) because of taxation is complete broken brain nonsense.

The numbers so large people can’t comprehend. Even if a person makes $100,000/year, the amount of wealth a billionaire has is impossible to wrap your brain around. I think Bezos makes over $100,000/minute, over 200,000,000,day.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:51 am

CubinNY wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:There's this baffling disconnect between the hordes of people who stan for the rich/think they're inevitably going to be rich in how they, of course, think along the lines of, "oh, if I had all that money I would spend it on SO MUCH horsefeathers." And they would, and actual rich people do...but if you just keep getting richer, especially once you're in the horsefeathering BILLIONS, so much of that is nothing more than just hoarding wealth. Like, you're not even getting to keep it in a Scrooge McDuck setup to swim in...it's just piling up in the ether, faster than you can spend it. And yet people will seemingly fight to the damn death for the rarified uber-rich to be able to do that without being taxed what will ultimately amount to little more than a small dent in how obscenely wealthy they are. I really don't get it. Like, even from the standpoint of, "I KNOW I WILL BE RICH," the idea of being incensed that someone would have something, like, $5 billion instead of $10 billion (which is an extreme example nowhere near how much these goons would pay in taxes) because of taxation is complete broken brain nonsense.

The numbers so large people can’t comprehend. Even if a person makes $100,000/year, the amount of wealth a billionaire has is impossible to wrap your brain around. I think Bezos makes over $100,000/minute, over 200,000,000,day.

There was a meme going around saying that if you made $5,000/day, you would have needed to start in 1492 in order to be a billionaire in 2019. Wrap your head around that
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:23 am

1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:18 pm

this dude is just a horsefeathering scumbag.
1 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Derwood wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

There was a meme going around saying that if you made $5,000/day, you would have needed to start in 1492 in order to be a billionaire in 2019. Wrap your head around that

Just to bring this all back to the purpose of this message board, The Ricketts family can afford a couple of Cubs teams.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:16 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:32 pm

I'm starting to think the Trumps are not good people.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:39 pm

For those who watch Succession, hahaha so on the nose, life imitating art
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:19 am

Bottomless GOP rot. I want to hear more from Biden and those who think like him about how GOP'ers will be willing partners in governing any time soon. Gingrich was before Trump, McConnell was before Trump, but sure, things are gonna go back to some prior era of comity once/if Trump is out. The only answer is to root them out, everywhere possible, at all levels of elected office.
1 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:01 am

Michael Dukakis will also attempt to become the 2020 Democratic Party candidate for POTUS.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Dems are scared to death of Warren/Bernie winning the nomination.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:25 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 pm

0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Funny that when Trump showed up at the World Series and was roundly booed, it was pointed out how rare it was for Trump to make a public appearance outside of his bubble. In the 2 weeks since then, he’s appeared at a UFC event (mixed reaction) and when that didn’t restore his ego he went to a place where he could guarantee an overwhelmingly positive response - an Alabama football game
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:38 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Funny that when Trump showed up at the World Series and was roundly booed, it was pointed out how rare it was for Trump to make a public appearance outside of his bubble. In the 2 weeks since then, he’s appeared at a UFC event (mixed reaction) and when that didn’t restore his ego he went to a place where he could guarantee an overwhelmingly positive response - an Alabama football game

Where his presence helped snap Alabama's 41-game home winning streak
0 x

Return to “Social”