2018 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Hrubes20
Starter

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby Hrubes20 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 pm

davell wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Two hot takes:

- I think the Cubs’ pitching development issues are mostly that they have not prioritized pitching like they have hitting. They only just used a first on one for the first time last year and have yet to pay big for an IFA arm (Tdeng is their high IIRC).

- All this talk about next generation of hitters this year but secretly it’s been going on since they spent close to $6+ million on a handful IFA bats in 2015.

Gotta remember the Cuban gem we unearthed named Concepcion. Gerardo, maybe? Anyway, he got like 6 mill from us, but at least it was over 5 years. Albertos was around 1.5 too. As a general rule, pitchers just don't cost as much in IFA. Especially now that Cubans are capped too.

It seems like there's only 6-8 pitchers on the top 30 lists in IFA's each year. I know we got Tseng, Moreno, and Mejia the first time and it was a great showing for pitching. In 2015, Albertos wasn't known, so he didn't get ranked, but Marquez was. And it sounds like we've got Gallardo and Machado this year.

May not have developed them, but we've taken our shots for sure on some high end pitching, via IFA.

+1 on all of this. I'd also note that Blackburn and Johnson were technically 1st round picks, even if in the supplemental round.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Bertz wrote:Law has us taking Naylor in his latest mock. He's my favorite prospect in our range so that sounds pretty good to me.

I'm on board with that pick for sure.

I missed the Steele Walker talk before, and I'm really conflicted on him. If he can increase the power to where more of his doubles go over the fence? That's a Michael Conforto-lite package. If it doesn't, you're probably looking at a ceiling of Melky Cabrera without that one crazy BABIP-fueled season and more strikeouts. I wouldn't hate the pick though.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 17, 2018 5:48 pm

davell wrote:Gotta remember the Cuban gem we unearthed named Concepcion. Gerardo, maybe? Anyway, he got like 6 mill from us, but at least it was over 5 years. Albertos was around 1.5 too. As a general rule, pitchers just don't cost as much in IFA. Especially now that Cubans are capped too.

It seems like there's only 6-8 pitchers on the top 30 lists in IFA's each year. I know we got Tseng, Moreno, and Mejia the first time and it was a great showing for pitching. In 2015, Albertos wasn't known, so he didn't get ranked, but Marquez was. And it sounds like we've got Gallardo and Machado this year.

May not have developed them, but we've taken our shots for sure on some high end pitching, via IFA.

Occaisonally spending a million on unranked or mid-ranked guys is definitely not the level of commitment required to get some impact talent. Gallardo's easily the highest ranked IFA pitcher they've been tied to in 6 years.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:55 pm

davell wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Two hot takes:

- I think the Cubs’ pitching development issues are mostly that they have not prioritized pitching like they have hitting. They only just used a first on one for the first time last year and have yet to pay big for an IFA arm (Tdeng is their high IIRC).

- All this talk about next generation of hitters this year but secretly it’s been going on since they spent close to $6+ million on a handful IFA bats in 2015.

Gotta remember the Cuban gem we unearthed named Concepcion.

I still am not convinced Concepcion was ever a real person but merely a front/pay off to get Jorge to pick us
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu May 17, 2018 6:23 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
davell wrote:Gotta remember the Cuban gem we unearthed named Concepcion. Gerardo, maybe? Anyway, he got like 6 mill from us, but at least it was over 5 years. Albertos was around 1.5 too. As a general rule, pitchers just don't cost as much in IFA. Especially now that Cubans are capped too.

Occaisonally spending a million on unranked or mid-ranked guys is definitely not the level of commitment required to get some impact talent. Gallardo's easily the highest ranked IFA pitcher they've been tied to in 6 years.

Uh, I responded to what you SAID. YOU SAID they hadn't spent big on pitching. Concepcion was 6 mill. Albertos got 1.5 which was definitely a top 3-5 bonus that year for pitching. Tseng got 1.5 or so, which was a top bonus for his year too.

I'm not arguing talent. But they HAVE spent, when you said they havent.

And actually, you're not grasping the idea that there just isn't much high dollar talent in an IFA class to begin with. The Cubs have spent very highly, compared to other teams, in terms of pitching. Especially if you take Alvarez and Morejon out of the equation, one of which wasn't signable by us, for when he got cleared, and the other because he literally cost 30 mill after penalties and wasn't worth it.

The object is to load up in numbers. Putting all your eggs in one 16 year old basket is stupid. No teams do that. Hence, why pitching costs less at that age.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:+1 on all of this. I'd also note that Blackburn and Johnson were technically 1st round picks, even if in the supplemental round.

Speaking of those guys, who were first supplemental round rather than first round, another hot take is that the 2018 Cubs draft will follow the same format as the Cubs' 2012 draft. The draft budgets are about the same ($7.9 in 2012, $7.5 this year), 5 picks in the first 100 (101 in 2012), the drafts are both prep heavy with no Schwarber or Happ college bat likely available for slot or lower, and the farm system is about where the 2011-2012 system was with role players and relievers in full season ball plus Alzolay as a cleaner armed Cashner. The 2012 draft went overslot prep, college player opposite first pick (if pitcher first then hitter and vice versa), and then three signable HS players. I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted as many as 4 HS players with this year's first five picks this year.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 17, 2018 7:19 pm

davell wrote:Uh, I responded to what you SAID. YOU SAID they hadn't spent big on pitching. Concepcion was 6 mill. Albertos got 1.5 which was definitely a top 3-5 bonus that year for pitching. Tseng got 1.5 or so, which was a top bonus for his year too.

That's three guys over a four year span, one ranked, during which they spent maybe five times that dollar total on IFA prospect bats. Since we can include Concepcion's full contract then those guys are a third of the way to Soler alone. Concepcion's deal basically came out to a million and change per year, right in line with those other handful million dollar pitchers, and not a path to getting impact talent anytime soon when combined with those guys being mostly unranked amateurs. It's not alot of money relative to what the Cubs spent on offense or in the grand scheme of things, and likely largely explains why the farm didn't give the ML club both a cheap super lineup and pitching staff.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
davell wrote:Uh, I responded to what you SAID. YOU SAID they hadn't spent big on pitching. Concepcion was 6 mill. Albertos got 1.5 which was definitely a top 3-5 bonus that year for pitching. Tseng got 1.5 or so, which was a top bonus for his year too.

That's three guys over a four year span, one ranked, during which they spent maybe five times that dollar total on IFA prospect bats. Since we can include Concepcion's full contract then those guys are a third of the way to Soler alone. Concepcion's deal basically came out to a million and change per year, right in line with those other handful million dollar pitchers, and not a path to getting impact talent anytime soon when combined with those guys being mostly unranked amateurs. It's not alot of money relative to what the Cubs spent on offense or in the grand scheme of things, and likely largely explains why the farm didn't give the ML club both a cheap super lineup and pitching staff.

Again, you're basically asking them to spend money that they almost have no reason to spend. They've devoted enough to pitching each class they've been able to spend on.

2012- If was Paniagua. He was older, but considered a great signing, at the time. Supposedly very advanced. I think that's when they signed Concepcion too.
2013- Tseng, Moreno, and Mejia were 3 of the top 10 pitching bonuses given out. Tseng was considered a top 5 guy overall that class until he regressed his senior season, which was after the Cubs had already verbally committed to him. Moreno was a top 5 Pitcher in his class. Mejia was a late bloomer that signed a year late and had gained lots of buzz.

2015- Extremely weak class. Marquez was the top lefty, Cubs got him. Albertos wasn't ranked, yet was given as high or higher a bonus than anyone in the class. He wasn't ranked because no one had been scouting in Mexico, from the publications. Badler said he would have had him as the top pitching prospect from the class, if he had seen him.

Again, they've spent. There's only a finite amount of top 30 pitchers each year. Usually under 10. The Cubs typically get at least 1, usually more than that, of them.

They've obviously not had success yet. But, they've put absolutely enough resources into it.

And yes, I'm hoping they get Rodriguez more than hoping for Mesa.

EDIT- After seeing the 3 in 4 years comment..... I guess I need to remind you that in 2014, 2016, and 2017, the Cubs were in the penalty box and were capped at 300K those years. During which, in 2017..... They STILL got a top 5 or 6 pitching prospect from the class, in Serrano. With a 1.2 mill bonus due to the Mexico loophole.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 17, 2018 9:42 pm

In regards to Keith Law's mock draft 2.0 I don't like Noah Naylor. I don't think he sticks at C. I don't know where he plays honestly. Maybe at 3B? He's a very divisive player like Law said.

I haven't heard anything bad makeup-wise and you shouldn't judge him based on the behavior of his brother. He's an okay hitter, but I'd rather target someone else at #24.

I'm going back and looking at it, and Law doesn't have any team selecting Larnach in the 1st round. I'd rather select Larnach over Naylor.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 17, 2018 9:53 pm

0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Regular Show wrote:In regards to Keith Law's mock draft 2.0 I don't like Noah Naylor. I don't think he sticks at C. I don't know where he plays honestly. Maybe at 3B? He's a very divisive player like Law said.

This is less directed at you individually since lots of people do this, but what's the basis for saying that Naylor is or isn't going to stick at catcher? A few sentences from other articles? A youtube clip or two? I don't want to be a gatekeeper but I also don't think there's much to any of our prognostications about the development of high school draftees other than pure guesswork.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Regular Show wrote:In regards to Keith Law's mock draft 2.0 I don't like Noah Naylor. I don't think he sticks at C. I don't know where he plays honestly. Maybe at 3B? He's a very divisive player like Law said.

This is less directed at you individually since lots of people do this, but what's the basis for saying that Naylor is or isn't going to stick at catcher? A few sentences from other articles? A youtube clip or two? I don't want to be a gatekeeper but I also don't think there's much to any of our prognostications about the development of high school draftees other than pure guesswork.

I have one former scout friend. I ask him questions and he talks to other scouts. Have not asked about Noah Naylor specifically.

So for Noah Naylor it's both reading scouting reports and watching video on youtube. He isn't terrible as a C, but there was something I didn't like when I was watching him... Probably receiving or pitch framing (which you can improve at). His arm is very good and probably rates as above-average.

I remember he made a good play in the 2017 Perfect Game Classic at Petco Park with J.T. Ginn (who I like) pitching. He nails the basestealer at 3B for the last out of the inning. J.T. Ginn didn't have great control or command that day so it probably was hard catching/receiving and making it look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lQEXD60E38

I just don't like HS catchers unless they're really special and scouts say they can definitely stick at catcher. There have been so many disappointments among HS catching prospects that I have a bias against them. Watching video again and he actually looks pretty good defensively. I was wrong and should revise my statement. He probably has a good chance at sticking at C, but that doesn't guarantee he'll stay there.

https://www.mlb.com/video/2018-draft-noah-naylor-c/c-1869109683
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 18, 2018 12:06 am

I'm not arguing talent.

Ooooh...I see. Here's what I said with the bold being what you're hung up on:

TomtheBombadil wrote:I think the Cubs’ pitching development issues are mostly that they have not prioritized pitching like they have hitting. They only just used a first on one for the first time last year and have yet to pay big for an IFA arm (Tdeng is their high IIRC).

I can give that up as it's probably not outright true and definitely the least important part of that post. Alzolay and Cease (in the Quintana trade) alone are huge wins for that approach. In that sense they have done enough spending to positively impact the ML roster and gotten tremendous bang for the buck on the pitching side of prospecting. I believe they're aiming higher than even that these days so we're seeing the highest ranked and pedigree amateur arms tied to and even selected by the Cubs, which means more money and/or resources like higher draft picks or a higher% of IFA spending.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Fri May 18, 2018 3:48 am

Regular Show wrote:

Virginia's pitching staff has been solid in 2018, if unspectacular, and junior lefthander Daniel Lynch represents their likely top draft prospect for the 2018 class. He was just okay against Louisville on Saturday afternoon, battling through seven innings without his best command but still giving Virginia a chance to win the game, allowing four runs (two earned) on nine hits and two walks while striking out four. The Cavaliers did pick up the win in this game, pushing Lynch's record to 3-3.

Lynch is a long, lean and very slenderly-built lefthander who has some projection remaining physically but not as much as one would think, as he's pretty narrow through his hips and shoulders and probably won't hold much more in the way of weight/strength. Lynch's delivery is pretty solid, really getting into his back hip well and rotation his hips through his drive, getting online to the plate and landing inline as well, getting over his front side okay but having some trouble working down in the zone. The arm action is lengthy and gets offline through the back, but he has solid arm speed and it's mostly clean throughout.

The stuff was solid as Lynch showed a fastball that was consistently 93-94 mph early on, but he barely threw it in the early going. The plan coming in for Virginia was apparently for Lynch to attack Louisville with off-speed stuff. He showed a slider, a cutter and a changeup through his outing, working them all in early on and doing a fair job of sequencing them, though Louisville seemed to sit on the off-speed stuff and had some success in doing so. The slider was probably the best pitch in this outing, working in the 82-85 range, showing as a potentially average pitch with solid tilt and some bite. The cutter was a bit firmer and more horizontal, not a bat-missing pitch but a nice wrinkle as he worked to keep the ball off of the barrel. His changeup was a third pitch, thrown in the same velocity range but essentially just moving the opposite way of the cutter, with some deception and fade but more horizontal.

Lynch is a bit of a tough eval, considering how little he uses his fastball, at least in this contest, but given his performance history of dominance in the Cape Cod League and solid enough numbers this season at Virginia, along with control of a four-pitch mix.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 am

https://www.mlb.com/news/high-school-pi ... -277173920

This mock has the Cubs taking LHP Ryan Rolison. Lots of prospect analysts are saying Casey Mize is not a slam-dunk to go #1 anymore which is surprising. I still think he goes #1.

I think this mock draft is pretty good overall.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am

From last week:

1. Detroit Tigers | Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn
Mize has clearly separated himself from the rest of the field for the first overall pick and any other option here would be both surprising and likely carrying some sort of unanticipated back story. Lock this one in.

2. San Francisco Giants | Carter Stewart, RHP, Eau Galle HS (Fla.)
National level scouts say the Giants could go in any number of different directions; they even had all their decision makers at a recent Cole Winn start. But Stewart's name and his huge ceiling is a constant in discussions about what the Giants eventually decide.

3. Philadelphia Phillies | Alec Bohm, 3B, Wichita State
Bohm has been consistent performer all spring and has steadily edged up lists as a result. As long as the Phillies are confident that Bohm can handle third base long term, his middle-of-the-order bat would be another great addition to the Phillies fast-track rebuilding plan.

4. Chicago White Sox | Brady Singer, RHP, Florida
Singer's draft stock has taken a roller coaster ride through the spring but he's throwing his best of the season now and almost constitutes a safe pick here due to his long and clean track record. If this pick isn't Singer, don't be surprised if it is instead one of a number of college position players.

5. Cincinnati Reds | Nick Madrigal, 2B/SS, Oregon State
The Reds need surety in their first round pick as much as any organization in the game and Madrigal has perhaps the highest floor and shortest path to the big leagues of any player in this draft. An infield of Joey Votto, Nick Senzel, Madrigal and Eugenio Suarez would give them four positions they can be sure of to continue to build around.

6. New York Mets | Joey Bart, C, Georgia Tech
This may represent Bart's floor, as his name is frequently mentioned as a potential Giants pick and everywhere in between down to sixth. Ignore the Mets’ current Major League catching situation, this is a best player available selection.

7. San Diego Padres | Matt Liberatore, LHP, Mountain Ridge HS (Ariz.)
The Padres were able to select the top high school lefthander in the 2017 draft in MacKenzie Gore and they could score again with the top 2018 southpaw in the highly projectable Liberatore. As the Padres already have what might be the deepest farm system in the game already, this is just more icing on the talent cake for San Diego.

8. Atlanta Braves | Ethan Hankins, RHP, Forsyth Central HS (Ga.)
Yes, the Braves taking local talent is a cliché, but cliches generally exist for a reason and the relationship between Hankins and the Braves goes much deeper than geography. And don't forget that Hankins was a 1:1 consideration a couple of months ago and that the Braves system is so talented already that they can roll the dice on Hankins' ceiling.

9. Oakland Athletics | Travis Swaggerty, OF, South Alabama
Swaggerty hasn't had the type of spring he likely envisioned but his combination of offensive skills and tools and a projection to stay in center field means it is very likely he stays in the top ten picks, perhaps even higher than at No. 9 with the A's.

10. Pittsburgh Pirates | Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida
McClanahan throws harder than any college starter in the country and will flash plus with two other pitches as well. If he is able to develop more consistency that he has shown the second half of the spring, he has the tools to develop into a top-of-the-rotation starter.

11. Baltimore Orioles | Jonathan India, 3B, Florida
No one had India on their short lists for a first round pick back in February but the hard hitting infielder has been a dynamic offensive force for the country's best college team. While India has played third base at Florida, it is entirely possible that he'll go out professionally at either shortstop or second base, further enhancing his offensive value.

12. Toronto Blue Jays | Trevor Larnach, OF, Oregon State
Larnach not only has convinced scouts of his first round-worthy hitting ability but he has also largely impressed most as a better athlete than anticipated who should be comfortable staying in the outfield long-term. In fact, it wouldn't be shocking for Larnach to join his Oregon State teammate Madrigal as a top 10 pick.

13. Miami Marlins | Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha West HS (Wis.)
Kelenic will likely enter the draft as a wildcard, as there is already speculation that he could land at a number of places above this on a pre-draft deal. Even here at 13th overall, the Wisconsin outfielder would be the first high school position player chosen.

14. Seattle Mariners | Jackson Kowar, RHP, Florida
Kowar has quietly gone 23-3 thus far in his career at Florida and should go comfortably in the middle of the first round without ever holding the coveted Friday night slot in college. A grade better breaking ball to go with his plus fastball/changeup combination would have likely slotted him above his touted teammate Singer.

15. Texas Rangers | Connor Scott, OF, Plant HS (Fla.)
Scott missed the August section of the summer circuit after an appendectomy so his resume wasn't as filled out as many of his high school peers entering this spring. That has quickly and definitely changed as his lefthanded bat, athleticism and projectability has impressed everyone.

16. Tampa Bay Rays | Jordyn Adams, OF, Green Hope HS (N.C.)
Tampa Bay has five picks in the first 71, so everything has to be taken in that context. Adams is a home run pick who may not go this high due to his potential football future, but whose talent definitely warrants the slot. The Rays probably are hoping that Scott gets to 16, but that might not happen.

17. Los Angeles Angels | Nolan Gorman, 3B, Sandra Day O'Connor HS (Ariz.)
The Angels have done a very good job of drafting high school talent the last two years and getting Gorman and his power potential at this pick would continue that trend. The questions about Gorman's athleticism and future position can be answered in the Angels’ system.

18. Kansas City Royals | Greyson Jenista, OF/1B, Wichita State
Similar to their small market peers in Tampa, the Royals have plenty of extra picks (5 of the top 58) and plenty of opportunity to spread their bonus pool around. This is a bit high for Jenista, a Kansas native, but the money saved will bring huge benefits down the line for an organization that has serious depth issues in their minor league system.

19. St. Louis Cardinals | Cole Winn, RHP, Orange Lutheran HS (Calif.)
Given all the heat that Winn, who seems to keep getting better with every start, has at present this might be a very conservative place to slot him. While high school righthanders tend to slide a bit as the draft draws nearer, Winn might be the exception.

20. Minnesota Twins | Ryan Rolison, LHP, Mississippi
Rollson will be a wild card both as a draft-eligible sophomore and due to his disappointing spring that scouts attribute to changes in his mechanics. If the Twins or any other organization feels confident they can get Rolison back on track, they could have a premium lefthander who would have been a candidate for a top slot back in February.

21. Milwaukee Brewers | Logan Gilbert, RHP, Stetson
Gilbert is in much the same position as Rollison, as an exceptionally strong summer in the Cape Cod League has been followed up by a so-so spring as far as stuff goes. However, Gilbert's 8-1, 2.61 record with 121 strikeouts in 86 innings can hardly be called anything but a standout season in terms of performance.

22. Colorado Rockies | Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, Central Heights HS (Texas)
Like Cole Winn, Rodriguez has been so steadily good all spring after not being evaluated as a Day 1 pick prior to the spring that he could go much higher than this. He would seem to be a perfect fit for the Rockies should he last this far, though, with multiple pitches he can throw for strikes and a big and durable athletic build.

23. New York Yankees | Cole Wilcox, RHP, Heritage HS (Ga.)
The Yankees are an organization that values velocity more than most and Wilcox's velocity, along with his consistent sinking action on his fastball, has continued to ramp up all spring, including topping out at 98 mph while out-pitching fellow Georgia first round candidate Kumar Rocker last week in a heavily scouted matchup.

24. Chicago Cubs | Ryan Weathers, LHP, Loretto HS (Tenn.)
Weathers is so polished that he might as well be considered a college pitcher for his development path once he's in professional baseball. His velocity hasn't been special much of the spring but in the future he won't be distracted by leading his high school to a state basketball championship before a late start to the baseball season.

25. Arizona Diamondbacks | Steele Walker, OF, Oklahoma
Walker has a flawless track record of hitting both in the spring in the Big 12 and for the USA Collegiate National Team during the summer and that should put him solidly in the first round. If scouts felt that he could play center field like a Travis Swaggerty his draft stock would be even higher.

26. Boston Red Sox | Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS (Calif.)
Turang's draft stock seems to have shifted enough that there is speculation that he could end up at Louisiana State for three years instead of signing. From a strictly baseball standpoint, imagining Turang's swing coupled with Fenway Park is fun to think about, especially considering the number of doubles off the Green Monster the lefthanded hitter could accumulate.

27. Washington Nationals | Kumar Rocker, RHP, North Oconee HS (Ga.)
The unusual depth in this group of high school righthanders and the rise of pitchers like Cole Winn and Grayson Rodriguez could slide Rocker a bit further than one would think, but that will be the Nationals' gain under this scenario.

28. Houston Astros | Griffin Roberts, RHP, Wake Forest
The Astros emphasize using one's breaking ball more than any organization in baseball and have obviously been very successful with that. Roberts’ slider is one of the best breaking balls in the draft and he throws it often and for strikes. Seems like a perfect fit.

29. Cleveland Indians | Noah Naylor, C/3B, St. Joan of Arc Catholic SS (Ontario)
Naylor's lefthanded bat and very high-level of athleticism have plenty of scouts speculating about whether the top Canadian prospect in the class might be better off starting his career at third base to maximize those two talent areas.

30. Los Angeles Dodgers | Will Banfield, C, Brookwood HS (Ga.)
The team that picks Banfield will be the one that thinks he can evolve into an average big league hitter after surviving the gauntlet that is being a minor league catcher starting at the lowest level. His defense should guarantee a solid chance of at least becoming a big league back up by itself.

31. Tampa Bay Rays | Jordan Groshans, 3B, Magnolia HS (Texas)
32. Tampa Bay Rays | Anthony Seigler, C, Cartersville HS (Ga.)
Groshans and Seigler are both polished and accomplished high school talents with lots of offensive promise. Coupling them with 16th overall pick Jordyn Adams would give the Rays organization a huge infusion of athleticism and offensive ceiling. They can go find some pitching prospects in a deep pitching class with some of their additional picks.

33. Kansas City Royals | Mason Denaburg, RHP, Merritt Island HS (Fla.)
34. Kansas City Royals | Mike Vasil, RHP, Boston College HS (Mass.)
Both Denaberg and Vasil would be potential top 15 picks if they were both healthy but both have been dinged up the second half of the season and where they land will be largely the result of each team's medical evaluations. On sheer talent, in conjunction with their 18th overall pick, adding two extremely high upside pitchers here would be a fascinating result for an organization starting a major rebuild.

35. Cleveland Indians | Adam Kloffenstein, RHP, Magnolia HS (Texas)
Kloffenstein has had a very steady spring, appropriate for a sinker/slider hurler who fills up the strike zone with multiple pitches. Cleveland pays attention to a prospect's age as much as any organization in baseball, a point worth remembering when considering the 17-year old Texan.

36. Pittsburgh Pirates | Jeremy Eierman, SS, Missouri State
Eierman hasn't hit as well as was hoped for this spring but he retains his high-level athleticism and the chance to stay at shortstop and most definitely in the middle of the field. With so few college players with plus tools on the market, that gives him strong value at this pick.

37. Baltimore Orioles | JT Ginn, RHP, Brandon HS (Miss.)
Ginn's raw stuff is equal to any high school pitcher in the class and his athleticism enables him to use it effectively despite a high energy, multi-part delivery. The Orioles have shown no hesitance in the recent past about picking high school arms.

38. San Diego Padres | Sean Hjelle, RHP, Kentucky
Extra tall pitchers are always a bit of an enigma and they don't come any taller than the 6-foot-11 Hjelle. What takes some of the risk out here is that Hjelle has a very polished approach to pitching and one of the simplest, low effort deliveries in college baseball.

39. Arizona Diamondbacks | Xavier Edwards, SS, North Broward Prep (Fla.)
Edwards has convinced scouts that his size will not stand in the way of tools, which include plus defensive ability, plus/plus speed and a very high average switch-hitting approach at the plate.

40. Kansas City Royals | Jeremiah Jackson, SS, St. Lukes HS (Ala.)
Like the Royals picks at Nos. 33 and 34, Jackson represents a long term, high ceiling pick. He's a premium middle-of-the-field athlete whose bat may end up being an impact tool as a middle infielder.

41. Cleveland Indians | Nander De Sedas, SS, Montverde Academy (Fla.)
It's worth factoring in that De Sedas, a switch-hitting PG All-American shortstop, is close to Francisco Lindor and works out with him in the offseason, and they share the same agent.

42. Colorado Rockies | Kris Bubic, LHP, Stanford
Bubic's profile, with a well-commanded low-90s fastball and an outstanding changeup as his two primary pitches, is very similar to that of Tyler Anderson, a helpful combination to be successful in the Rockies’ environment.

43. St. Louis Cardinals | Nick Schnell, OF, Roncalli HS (Ind.)
Schnell has been rising quickly ever since the high school season in Indiana started and one senses that he will keep rising right up to June 4 as more scouts see his hitting ability and overall athleticism.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 am

I’d eat a half gallon of almond milk ice cream to get Callis’ Rocker mock or that Weathers mock to come true

I like Ryan Rolison, a healthy college lefty with 95 and his breaking ball is pretty rare, but he’s the kind of guy I’d ve ecstatic to land at 63 and meh at 24.
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri May 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Anyone got BA's pick for us and any other tidbits from their mock today?
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:49 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I like Ryan Rolison, a healthy college lefty with 95 and his breaking ball is pretty rare, but he’s the kind of guy I’d ve ecstatic to land at 63 and meh at 24.

He's been absolutely terrible in SEC play this year. I want nothing to do with him at 24.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 18, 2018 4:43 pm

davell wrote:Anyone got BA's pick for us and any other tidbits from their mock today?

Absolutely love this pick. He seems to have a higher ceiling than most college pitchers who go in the 20s:

24 Logan Gilbert Stetson RHP

Notes: The Cubs figure to give Seigler a shot if he’s here, but they could also use pitching. Through May 15, Gilbert led all Division I arms with 134 strikeouts, ahead of the likes of Mize, McClanahan and Wake Forest righthander Griffin Roberts.

Anthony Seigler went 22.

Other guys we’ve talked about: Ethan Hankins went 15, Jordyn Adams 16, Jackson Kowar 17, Noah Naylor 18, Brice Turang 19, Ryan Weathers 21, Triston Casas 23, Cole Wilcox 27, Steele Walker 28, Jordan Groshans 32, Kumar Rocker 33 and Connor Scott 35.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri May 18, 2018 5:10 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
davell wrote:Anyone got BA's pick for us and any other tidbits from their mock today?

Absolutely love this pick. He seems to have a higher ceiling than most college pitchers who go in the 20s:

Notes: The Cubs figure to give Seigler a shot if he’s here, but they could also use pitching. Through May 15, Gilbert led all Division I arms with 134 strikeouts, ahead of the likes of Mize, McClanahan and Wake Forest righthander Griffin Roberts.

Anthony Seigler went 22.

Other guys we’ve talked about: Ethan Hankins went 15, Jordyn Adams 16, Jackson Kowar 17, Noah Naylor 18, Brice Turang 19, Ryan Weathers 21, Triston Casas 23, Cole Wilcox 27, Steele Walker 28, Jordan Groshans 32, Kumar Rocker 33 and Connor Scott 35.

Thanks Raisin! I like that a bunch too. More than Kowar, if we take a college pitcher there. Scott down to 35? I'd have a hard time passing on him, if he's there at 24.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:02 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Anthony Seigler went 22.

I'm all aboard the hitter train, but Gilbert would be a lot better than the other names being given to the Cubs like Rollison or Kowar. And he's a Cape Cod guy too. I think he's ultimately gone before 24, but that pick makes a lot of sense.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Water gun to face I would take Rolison over Gilbert. RHs with Gilbert’s stuff are a dime a dozen....Neither guy does it for me at 24 as the Cubs don’t *need* anything more from the farm this decade, but Rolison’s got the pitches to do what Little was probably hoped to do last year

I think Gilbert ends up going to Seattle
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat May 19, 2018 11:24 pm

More importantly, his year as OU’s starting quarterback could be enough to quell any remaining curiosity he has about college football. If he believes his future is in baseball rather than football -- as most scouts in both sports do -- that could be the tipping point in his 2019 decision.

We've already mentioned this before, but it seems like Murray is not going to be drafted this year. More likely in 2019 when his situation is more clear. You don't want to be the scouting director that recommends drafting him with a high pick if he decides to stick to football and enter the NFL draft. I think he's better at baseball and the articles I've read mention how most scouts think he's better at baseball. I have no idea which sport he enjoys the most or prefers (assuming he's good at both of them). I haven't come across an article that states his preference or if someone has asked him.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun May 20, 2018 12:07 am

Murray's something like 5'10" and maybe he's up to 200 pounds. Next year, 5 years removed from HS, he'll be 22 in August and a one year quarterback at a Big 12 school. That's a 6th-7th round pick if some NFL GM is feeling nuts and really closer to UDFA material. There's few real doubts what pro sport his future is in and fewer doubts which one will draft him higher and pay him more out of school. I am way more willing to believe that people are bored and the MLB draft needs stories like his than that his future sport is a mystery that needs yet another year to be cleared up. Boil it all down and I think he gets picked by a ML team this year and high thanks to his premium tools and big improvements this spring.
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”