TV thread

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri May 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Amazon stupidly cancelled The Tick, but the push is on to get it picked up elsewhere:

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat May 18, 2019 1:13 am

2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat May 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Amazon stupidly cancelled The Tick, but the push is on to get it picked up elsewhere:

I've never watched much of any iteration of The Tick, but it's been cancelled in like 3 iterations now, right? Animated and two different live versions. Maybe it's just not that popular.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat May 18, 2019 10:45 pm

I can only assume that post was generated by some kind of "post the reply that will most make someone else wish they could smash my keyboard" app that exists for some kind of godforsaken reason.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 20, 2019 2:53 am

Barry has definitely filled a weird spot for me a la Breaking Bad where I love the show, but horsefeathers, I am stressed the horsefeathers out watching it.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 20, 2019 2:54 am

I also finally watched Vice Principals this past week, and enjoyed it a LOT more than I was expecting.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon May 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Barry was the best finale of the weekend.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon May 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Banedon wrote:Barry was the best finale of the weekend.

Haven't watched an episode of season 2 yet. I heard an NPR review that was pretty down on season 2 compared to season 1, but most everything else I've heard from friends/here has been glowing. Which is it?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 20, 2019 2:55 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Banedon wrote:Barry was the best finale of the weekend.

Haven't watched an episode of season 2 yet. I heard an NPR review that was pretty down on season 2 compared to season 1, but most everything else I've heard from friends/here has been glowing. Which is it?

I think season 2 is easily better than the first, which was awesome.
2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon May 20, 2019 3:07 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:https://youtu.be/tk-83o9gQik

BTW, thanks for this. Really enjoyed watching that this weekend.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon May 20, 2019 3:44 pm

horsefeathering Fuches...
1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:the hack frauds behind that show are STILL greenlit to make that absurd "what if the South won the Civil War" show for HBO. Can't wait for these meatballs to get their hands on Star Wars...ugh).

I'm pretty sure that show has been thrown in the dumpster. Mercifully.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 3:59 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:the hack frauds behind that show are STILL greenlit to make that absurd "what if the South won the Civil War" show for HBO. Can't wait for these meatballs to get their hands on Star Wars...ugh).

In February 2019 they said it was still in the works.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon May 20, 2019 4:05 pm

I don't even think they are contracted to HBO currently, this article from last week says they are mulling overall deals from 6 places.

While millions will be tuning in to watch the Game of Thrones finale Sunday night that they wrote and directed which decides once and for all who sits on the Iron Throne and rules Westeros, Deadline hears David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have six studios waiting on a cliffhanger over what they do next. Those companies are vying to be the place where the duo next creates, writes, directs and produces film and television projects going forward.

Deadline hears that Benioff and Weiss have met with six big media companies that want the duo to sign an overall global deal with them for film, TV and streaming projects. They’ve met with HBO/WarnerMedia, Disney, Comcast, as well as the streaming companies Netflix, Amazon and Apple.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 4:14 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Brian wrote:I don't even think they are contracted to HBO currently, this article from last week says they are mulling overall deals from 6 places.

While millions will be tuning in to watch the Game of Thrones finale Sunday night that they wrote and directed which decides once and for all who sits on the Iron Throne and rules Westeros, Deadline hears David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have six studios waiting on a cliffhanger over what they do next. Those companies are vying to be the place where the duo next creates, writes, directs and produces film and television projects going forward.

Deadline hears that Benioff and Weiss have met with six big media companies that want the duo to sign an overall global deal with them for film, TV and streaming projects. They’ve met with HBO/WarnerMedia, Disney, Comcast, as well as the streaming companies Netflix, Amazon and Apple.

I wonder if Benioff has any thoughts of putting his novel City of Thieves onto film.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:28 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

This one was well done.

It's a fake documentary with "fake" commercial interruptions. In some cases the commercials are based on actual products.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon May 20, 2019 7:21 pm

Something I've been thinking about with the end of GoT... do you think a streaming show, especially one that dumps its entire season at once, can become a global phenomenon at or near the level that GoT did?

When the binge model started I was a fan, but I'm starting to think it won't be good for these fantasy shows that are in the pipeline (LOTR, Wheel of Time, Witcher, etc.). Dumping entire seasons on a Friday once a year just does not seem like the way these shows are meant to be experienced.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon May 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Brian wrote:Something I've been thinking about with the end of GoT... do you think a streaming show, especially one that dumps its entire season at once, can become a global phenomenon at or near the level that GoT did?

When the binge model started I was a fan, but I'm starting to think it won't be good for these fantasy shows that are in the pipeline (LOTR, Wheel of Time, Witcher, etc.). Dumping entire seasons on a Friday once a year just does not seem like the way these shows are meant to be experienced.

I think you could start a show like that. Maybe the first one-three seasons to build a base. But in order to really blow up, yeah, you need gaps between episodes to build hype.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon May 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Brian wrote:Something I've been thinking about with the end of GoT... do you think a streaming show, especially one that dumps its entire season at once, can become a global phenomenon at or near the level that GoT did?

I think you could start a show like that. Maybe the first one-three seasons to build a base. But in order to really blow up, yeah, you need gaps between episodes to build hype.

I hate each studio doing their own streaming service, but I do like that some of the newer ones are putting out shows weekly for streaming. CBS and DC have both done this for sure. And it's nice because I can take my time, watch whenever I want during the week and not feel like everyone else has watched an entire season before me.

My guess is that eventually that's the way streaming series' will go.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:56 pm

Hype being fan theories?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 7:59 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Hype being fan theories?

I think long layoffs between seasons does more to build fan theories than the one week at a time thing. There needs to be some break between to build.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon May 20, 2019 8:03 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Hype being fan theories?

Sure. Fan theories, vlogs, actor interviews, gushing reviews, watercooler chitchat, you name it.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon May 20, 2019 9:19 pm

I think Stranger Things fits the bill as a pretty big phenomenon using the season-binge method.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 21, 2019 12:07 am

[expletive], this Chernobyl miniseries is like some kind of horsefeathers up horror movie.
1 x

Return to “Social”