International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 560
x 2775

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:41 am

The Cubs' bonus pool is $4,983,500. They can acquire up to 75% of their bonus slot, which means they can max out at $8,721,125.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... nus-pools/
0 x
Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 560
x 2775

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:41 pm

None of these guys are linked to the cubs though Osiel Rodriguez isn’t linked to any teams yet. That said, Gallardo is apparently not expected to get $2 million:

Joe D: Who are your top 5 international prospect for the next July 2nd signing period?
12:23

Kiley McDaniel: Eric and I haven’t worked out exactly how we want to rank them, but the roughly $2M+ bonuses should be:
Diego Cartaya, C, VZ
Marco Luciano, SS, DR
Noelvi Marte, SS, DR
Orelvis Martinez, SS, DR
Alejandro Pie, SS, DR
Osiel Rodriguez, RHP, Cuba
Jose De La Cruz, OF, DR
12:24

Kiley McDaniel: There’s more at the ~$1.3M area and a couple of those may be more mid to high 1’s, but you get the idea
0 x
Image

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21284
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1756
x 2231

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby davell » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:56 am

I can't get anyone to answer a question on who's linked to Rodriguez. I remember seeing someone list some teams expected to spend heavily and the Cubs weren't mentioned. But, you can't take much from that, as it could have just been a list of teams that have already committed big money. I'm definitely hoping the Cubs find a way to snag Rodriguez. And seeing that Gallardo is getting under 2 mill definitely has me hopeful. Especially since there's teams out there that'll be willing to trade off money.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6545
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 103
x 1741

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:02 am

Sell off the entire Iowa Cubs roster for as much bonus $ as possible.

TBH, I figure that might be enough to buy a stadium hotdog & a domestic beer.
1 x

Hrubes20
Starter
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 pm
x 9
x 48

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:18 pm

davell wrote:I can't get anyone to answer a question on who's linked to Rodriguez. I remember seeing someone list some teams expected to spend heavily and the Cubs weren't mentioned. But, you can't take much from that, as it could have just been a list of teams that have already committed big money. I'm definitely hoping the Cubs find a way to snag Rodriguez. And seeing that Gallardo is getting under 2 mill definitely has me hopeful. Especially since there's teams out there that'll be willing to trade off money.


Yeah, it's weird that there hasn't been anything connecting Rodriguez to at least a few serious bidders yet.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 pm
x 9
x 48

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby Hrubes20 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:16 am

Mlb.com came out with their top 30 IFAs. They list the Cubs with Gallardo (5th) and Lopez (17), who we had heard about, but also have them on another LHP at the back end of the list named Joel Machado (28). That SS we heard them linked to, Rafael Morel, was not listed.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21284
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1756
x 2231

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby davell » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am

Hrubes20 wrote:Mlb.com came out with their top 30 IFAs. They list the Cubs with Gallardo (5th) and Lopez (17), who we had heard about, but also have them on another LHP at the back end of the list named Joel Machado (28). That SS we heard them linked to, Rafael Morel, was not listed.


If we're guessing pricetags, Gallardo at 1.3, Lopez at 1, Machado at 800k, and Morel at 500k. Again, these are obviously complete guesses. But, it's adding up to. 3.6, when we've basically got 5 mill. And obviously we've signed other guys too. The budget is probably spent.

Which means we'd have to acquire money to go get Rodriguez. Who's still not mentioned with a team. It won't surprise me if lots of teams are trying to acquire the 2+ mill it's going to take to sign him.

Pretty fun that Gallardo is 5th and Rodriguez 9th, in their rankings. Also, nice to see us listed with Machado.

Go get Rodriguez somehow and use the MLB draft for restocking hitting, at this point.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Hrubes20
Starter
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 pm
x 9
x 48

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby Hrubes20 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:48 pm

davell wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:Mlb.com came out with their top 30 IFAs. They list the Cubs with Gallardo (5th) and Lopez (17), who we had heard about, but also have them on another LHP at the back end of the list named Joel Machado (28). That SS we heard them linked to, Rafael Morel, was not listed.


If we're guessing pricetags, Gallardo at 1.3, Lopez at 1, Machado at 800k, and Morel at 500k. Again, these are obviously complete guesses. But, it's adding up to. 3.6, when we've basically got 5 mill. And obviously we've signed other guys too. The budget is probably spent.

Which means we'd have to acquire money to go get Rodriguez. Who's still not mentioned with a team. It won't surprise me if lots of teams are trying to acquire the 2+ mill it's going to take to sign him.

Pretty fun that Gallardo is 5th and Rodriguez 9th, in their rankings. Also, nice to see us listed with Machado.

Go get Rodriguez somehow and use the MLB draft for restocking hitting, at this point.


Yes on both. See what AAAA player the Orioles need to get in return for as much IFA money as possible.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 560
x 2775

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Here’s the link if you want to read about Gallardo, Lopez or Machado: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/?list=int

I like reading that Gallardo is considered to have good command and Machado is a strike thrower.
0 x
Image

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6983
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 169
x 392

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby CubsWin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:05 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Here’s the link if you want to read about Gallardo, Lopez or Machado: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/?list=int

I like reading that Gallardo is considered to have good command and Machado is a strike thrower.

Richard Gallardo | Rank: 5 Hometown: Maracay, Venezuela

Position: P Age: 16 DOB: 09/06/2001

Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6'1" Weight: 187 lb. Watch

Scouting grades: Fastball: 65 | Curve: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 60

The best pitching prospect out of Venezuela and the top hurler overall in this year's class, Gallardo is smart and fearless on the mound. Evaluators believe he can be a top-of-the-rotation type of pitcher if he stays healthy and continues to develop his tools at a normal pace. He projects to have average or above-average tools across the board and he's already considered advanced for his age.

The teenager's best pitch is his fastball, but he also projects to feature a good curveball and an above-average changeup. He already shows good command and feel for his pitches and the mix results in a lot of swing-and-misses. Gallardo is still growing, and the hope is that he will increase the velocity and overall command of his fastball with age.

Back in February, Gallardo mixed all of his pitches to strike out five of the six batters he faced at the MLB International Prospect Showcase in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. He did walk a batter, but more importantly, he showed a plus fastball and emerging secondary pitches.

Gallardo is from Maracay, Venezuela, and trains with Andres Veliz. The Cubs are the favorite to sign him.

I like the sound of that...
1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5423
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 312
x 409

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:34 pm

davell wrote:Go get Rodriguez somehow and use the MLB draft for restocking hitting, at this point.


While I do want to walk away with one of the tools laden prep bats (Casas, Naylor, Edwards, Siani, Alek Thomas, Groshans, Gray, Adams, Cabell) or a fallen college bat (Pompey?), there's way too many talented prep arms to sit out on this pitching group in the draft. I think this draft is a little more balanced than the last couple, pitchers and hitters, and we might see the Cubs go with prep guys as teams mimic their earlier emphasis on college talent.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 560
x 2775

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 04, 2018 4:52 am

3:41
Justin : Hey Eric, thanks for the chat! Have you heard which teams are going after Rodriguez and Gaston, in IFA yet? Thanks in advance!
3:42
Eric A Longenhagen: I’ve heard noooo onnne throws like Gaston quite as fast as Gaston has an arm action with as much length as Gaston
3:43
Eric A Longenhagen: (Miami, like 800k)
3:43
Eric A Longenhagen: Rodriguez, which one? Osiel? Not sure.
1 x
Image

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21284
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1756
x 2231

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby davell » Fri May 04, 2018 5:52 am

I'm pretty sure this means he's on hold until a team can trade for 2 mill of IFA money on July 2nd.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Hrubes20
Starter
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 pm
x 9
x 48

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri May 04, 2018 4:38 pm

davell wrote:I'm pretty sure this means he's on hold until a team can trade for 2 mill of IFA money on July 2nd.


That does seem likely. Just give the O's whatever AAAA player or two that they want and get all the IFA money we can.
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6545
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 103
x 1741

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri May 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Give the O's the entire non-Alzolay Iowa Cubs roster for all I care.
0 x

User avatar
Bear Cub
Starter
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:22 am
Location: Geneseo, Il
x 1001
x 23

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby Bear Cub » Sat May 05, 2018 10:07 am

All of the Iowa roster except Alzolay and Taylor Davis cuz he is a good dude.
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 560
x 2775

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 11, 2018 6:09 pm

0 x
Image

User avatar
Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:19 pm
Location: Ukrainian Village
x 1167
x 790

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Fri May 11, 2018 6:14 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/jessesanchezmlb/status/994963920560406528?s=21


Image
4 x
Image

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1812
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1465
x 511

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby Regular Show » Sat May 12, 2018 6:06 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/jessesanchezmlb/status/994963920560406528?s=21


0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 560
x 2775

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu May 17, 2018 5:19 am

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... mlb-clubs/

That is a big development. Mesa, known as “Victor Victor” (that name was even on the back of his uniform in Cuba), has star potential, the best young Cuban prospect to become available since Yoan Moncada signed with the Red Sox for $31.5 million in 2015.


Badler compared him to Victor Robles, though cautioned Victor Victor Mesa isn’t a top 10 prospect like Robles yet because of Robles’ success at AA. Badler did say he’d be a top 10 pick if he were in this year’s draft, possibly even pushing close to 1.1. He has the ability to play at high-A or AA. But he has bad timing to his potential bonus earnings:

And while every team on paper essentially has an international bonus pool of $5 million to $6 million for the 2018-19 signing period that opens on July 2, many teams have already unofficially committed the majority of their international bonus pools to 16-year-old players from the Dominican Republic and Venezuela.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1812
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1465
x 511

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 am









Check out that clip above. I'm very intrigued by what I've read and I hope the Cubs haven't promised away all their cap space for international FAs. I'm sure they could trade for some more from some crappy team like Baltimore or Miami that doesn't use it.
1 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 560
x 2775

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Regular Show wrote:







Check out that clip above. I'm very intrigued by what I've read and I hope the Cubs haven't promised away all their cap space for international FAs. I'm sure they could trade for some more from some crappy team like Baltimore or Miami that doesn't use it.


Not sure if you were able to read that article since it’s subscriber but I did try to summarize it the post above yours.

Sounds like the team that convinces Baltimore to part with their IFA funds might have the best chance.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44798
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 73
x 2184
Contact:

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby Tim » Tue May 22, 2018 3:26 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Sounds like the team that convinces Baltimore to part with their IFA funds might have the best chance.

So...

Russell + Albertos + Hatch for Machado + IFA Funds (turns into Victor Victor).

Done. Let's move on it.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21284
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1756
x 2231

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby davell » Tue May 22, 2018 3:28 pm

There's probably a team of two out there that haven't committed their entire budget, or even extremely close to it..... But, it's definitely possible all teams are fairly close.

Making it conceivable that if a team could trade for the max they can get from the O's, it's land them Mesa AND Rodriguez.

Now, if the O's are smart, which they're not, they'd just use their money on these guys. And if they don't do that, the second option should be to sell off their money to 2 teams and not 1, creating a bidding war and keeping a singular team from nabbing both guys. And the 3rd Option should be to try and sell their space to teams that can add the MOST money anyway, meaning the teams that got second round comp picks this year, since they get 500k more than the other needy teams and a mill more than the non revenue sharers.

But, it's the Orioles. So, ante up and get the 3.75M or whatever you can get, Theo.

It sucks though, because even the O's will notice they're sitting on a gold mine, with 15-20 teams calling about this money......
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 560
x 2775

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 22, 2018 3:32 pm

davell wrote:There's probably a team of two out there that haven't committed their entire budget, or even extremely close to it..... But, it's definitely possible all teams are fairly close.

Making it conceivable that if a team could trade for the max they can get from the O's, it's land them Mesa AND Rodriguez.

Now, if the O's are smart, which they're not, they'd just use their money on these guys. And if they don't do that, the second option should be to sell off their money to 2 teams and not 1, creating a bidding war and keeping a singular team from nabbing both guys. And the 3rd Option should be to try and sell their space to teams that can add the MOST money anyway, meaning the teams that got second round comp picks this year, since they get 500k more than the other needy teams and a mill more than the non revenue sharers.

But, it's the Orioles. So, ante up and get the 3.75M or whatever you can get, Theo.

It sucks though, because even the O's will notice they're sitting on a gold mine, with 15-20 teams calling about this money......


Sounds like the Orioles are the only team that hasn’t committed a lot:

And while every team on paper essentially has an international bonus pool of $5 million to $6 million for the 2018-19 signing period that opens on July 2, many teams have already unofficially committed the majority of their international bonus pools to 16-year-old players from the Dominican Republic and Venezuela.

The timing was different for Cuban center fielder Julio Pablo Martinez, but the problems Mesa will face as an international free agent are similar.

...

So unless you’re counting on the Orioles to make a big offer, it’s hard for a Cuban player to maximize his value when he’s being thrust into the system this late in the game.
0 x
Image


Return to “Minor Leagues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests