Re: 2017-18 Bulls Thread - Fly the Tank W

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:34 am

0 x
-The Plan worked!!

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:06 am

itisallpartoftheplan wrote:https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1015759377654042624?s=21

That is certainly...a transaction
1 x
Win it for Fred

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:48 am

Summer League and all the caveats..... But, Carter was impressive. Much more athletic than he's been given credit for. Hutchison can get to the rim too.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:05 am

0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:22 am

Brian wrote:

The one where he snatches the ball out of the guy's hands was pretty sweet.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:28 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
itisallpartoftheplan wrote:https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1015759377654042624?s=21

Is there any reason not to just cut the guy we got or shove him into the D-League (or whatever they're calling it now)?
0 x

itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:19 pm

Derwood wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Is there any reason not to just cut the guy we got or shove him into the D-League (or whatever they're calling it now)?

They are going to

0 x
-The Plan worked!!

bauermj
Role Player

Postby bauermj » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm terrible with NBA contract knowledge but is this basically like "waiving" Grant for 1.7M instead of his 3.7M owed?
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:32 pm

bauermj wrote:I'm terrible with NBA contract knowledge but is this basically like "waiving" Grant for 1.7M instead of his 3.7M owed?

You're saving his entire salary, since you're waiving this Stone guy. You're freeing up a roster spot. And you're not keeping Grant until his RFA season next year.

Granted, this is a team way under the salary floor, with roster spots currently available. So, all this move truly does for the Bulls, is gives Payne the backup PG gig.

1% chance this turns into us dealing for Melo today though.(And waiving him) We've now got basically the exact amount available to absorb his contract for picks, until LaVine signs his offer sheet. Which happens this evening. Most likely, too forward thinking and too much money to give up, for draft picks, for this organization.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Well..... It's possible that it gets matched. If it's short term, I GUESS I'm ok with giving this a shot? He can't defend the 3, paired with LaVine, ho!y horsefeathers the wing D is going to be awful.

He IS talented, but this seems awfully close to trying to shoe horn Wade, Butler, and Rondo together, in Hoibergs offense.....

But, we'd be slightly more must watch than we already seem like we'll be.

I don't think this works. Yet, I'm still likely to have fun watching it.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 pm

I love this deal. In order to go anywhere in the playoffs you need some guys who can score in isolation. Parker was a 20 ppg guy in 2016-2017 and has a very wide array of offensive skills. He is yet another front court player who can hit a 3 (.383 last year, .365 the year before). Efficient scoring (TS% of .550 and .563 last two years). PER of 19 two years ago, 17 last year coming off the ACL.

He’s done all this stuff and he’s only 23. Of course there is a large chance he gets injured again but on a 2 year deal so what? He’s played very heavy, but he’s been playing PF. Now he’s on a 2 year prove it deal with his childhood team that he’s been vocal about wanting to play for. A team that has an entrenched 4 on the roster. So if he wants to stay long term he’s got to be able to defend 3s, which likely means slimming down. He’s got to show that he can play within the team concept.

But they got a guy who can score efficiently and who is very young. Maybe he can’t play next to Lavine defensively and you have to let go of whichever of them is least valuable. Or if Lavine is untradeable he becomes a bench spark plug until his deal is up.

To me, this is exactly the type of gamble they should make. This idea of holding 2 maxes for the 2019 while sucking real bad in 2018-2019 was a pipe dream. We’ve seen that story before and it always ends the same. Take the guy who wants to come here now and plan your cap space to try and get another Chicago guy in Anthony Davis in 2020. And at this point, they’ve got a lot of assets who could conceivably pan out. So they could be in a good position to make a major trade at some point. And when they do they’ve got a lot of other guys who could be great supporting cast members.

Two thumbs up.
0 x

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:13 pm

I was nervous as the bulls like to do dumb things but this could be a steal
0 x

itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Team option on the second year makes the deal way better. If he gets hurt again you cut him loose.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:28 pm

This is the type of deal this Bulls team needs to make. High risk, high reward, short commitment
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Derwood wrote:This is the type of deal this Bulls team needs to make. High risk, high reward, short commitment

It’s not really high risk at all
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:54 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Derwood wrote:This is the type of deal this Bulls team needs to make. High risk, high reward, short commitment

It’s not really high risk at all

True, I misspoke
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Shot distribution is going to be interesting. Lauri should be the first option, but LaVine and Parker are certainly getting their shots too. I think Dunn needs to be the guy taking a bit on attempts.

Minutes distribution up front will be interesting too. No idea how they'll split minutes between WCJ and RoLo. Maybe fairly evenly though. Especially with Portis likely to see a few minutes per game at the 5.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:05 pm

davell wrote:Shot distribution is going to be interesting. Lauri should be the first option, but LaVine and Parker are certainly getting their shots too. I think Dunn needs to be the guy taking a bit on attempts.

Minutes distribution up front will be interesting too. No idea how they'll split minutes between WCJ and RoLo. Maybe fairly evenly though. Especially with Portis likely to see a few minutes per game at the 5.

There's gonna be lots of lineup combos with 4 floor spacers. And even Dunn has room to grow in that area hopefully. Ideally you gotta get Lavine and Parker to operate in the flow of the offense where all that spacing gives them easy opportunities instead of forcing ISO.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:16 pm

I really like this deal for the Bulls, especially with the team option in year 2. We won't be able to stop anybody but the team should be pretty entertaining.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Andy wrote:I really like this deal for the Bulls, especially with the team option in year 2. We won't be able to stop anybody but the team should be pretty entertaining.

Yeah, that’s why I still see this as a 35 win team. Defense will be atrocious. I’m hating the Lavine deal more and more now. He’s going to eat up quite a few possessions while being a giant negative on defense and were stuck with him for 4 years
0 x
Win it for Fred

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Andy wrote:I really like this deal for the Bulls, especially with the team option in year 2. We won't be able to stop anybody but the team should be pretty entertaining.

Yeah, that’s why I still see this as a 35 win team. Defense will be atrocious. I’m hating the Lavine deal more and more now. He’s going to eat up quite a few possessions while being a giant negative on defense and were stuck with him for 4 years

There's injury protection in his deal though. His offense is good enough too, that he's not going to be an immovable contract.

Realistically, we're not getting anyone in FA next season. Gives us a 2nd year to decide which one of LaVine or Parker is actually part of our core. I'll agree it's not likely to be both.

However, both of these contracts make it easier for us to match salary in trading for a superstar too.

If both are healthy this year and things aren't a train wreck on D, I think this team is between 7-10 in the East.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:13 am

I wanted Parker at the beginning of the offseason. I didn't realize he was more of a 4 than a 3 though, as I haven't seen him play recently like most of the world. But he's still young and not far removed from being a 20ppg scorer, a freshman all American at Duke, and an elite HS recruit. And in every sport, I love taking chances on guys like this if you are a team in a situation like the Bulls are in.

The Bulls need a star. Parker has a (slightly) greater than 0% chance of becoming one. If he gets hurt again, you have an even greater than 0% chance of drafting one. No-lose situation, IMO, especially on essentially a 1-year deal.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:04 am

This is nice. He looks pretty fluid and explosive for a guy coming off an ACL surgery. Especially compared to how rusty and ineffective Lavine was.

I've skipped the NBA the last couple years, so I wasn't all that familiar with his game, but watching these highlights the guy I kept thinking about was Melo. Then I went back to check his nbadraft.net profile and that's the guy they comp him to. To me, that comp comes through most in the way he bullies guys inside to get easy shots, whether it's a layup or dunk or a hook. He's got such quick feet on his pivots and spins, and seems to have a great feel for getting a creative shot up. Then the little quick dribbles at the elbow to get space for his shot, and even his three looks a bit the same.

One of the videos I watched during my Jabari video binge was his 35 point game against the Nuggets on 4/1. It was one of the last games of the season and he hit 5/8 from three. Not a bad one to check out. Seems like his offense is solid enough that they could give him the late career Luol Deng treatment and say work on nothing but threes all summer. Long term, he probably does need someone better defensively than Lavine at the 2 but I'm getting pretty hopeful that Parker could be a long term #1 option on a team that can go deep into the playoffs. And with this East, you don't need much to say you're a finals contender.

Here's that nbadraft.net profile, btw. I didn't read it before writing that stuff above, because I figured I'd just end up parroting what it said. But it does seem to agree that he's got a good power/finesse game. Another guy he reminds a bit of is a SF version of Elton Brand. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jabari-parker

Then I also wanted to comment on Wendell Carter Jr. I meant to make a post after the draft and never did. But I was originally all over the idea of MPJ, then was hoping for Bamba during the draft, but after reading about WCJ I'm real happy we got him. Especially considering that in Parker the Bulls got basically the top end of what you might expect out of MPJ while ALSO getting a very well rounded and NBA-ready center in the draft.

This was my favorite article, where they detail why they think Carter will be better than Bagley. Real nice read for Bulls fans.
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/18 ... -nba-draft

Here is WCJ dominating Ayton's team in HS. WCJ had 30 and 16 vs Ayton's 19 and 10.

Here's a scouting video. There are others.

I'm suddenly pretty excited about the Bulls. The Lavine signing may be a mistake, I'm not sure about that part. I think if he accepts an off ball role similar to the one he had earlier in his career and tries to mold himself after Klay Thompson he could be pretty good. In his second and third years in the league he shot .389 and .387 from three. That third year was on 6.6 attempts per game and he had 18.9 ppg on .576 TS%. A super efficient high volume three point shooter with excellent athleticism is pretty valuable, if you can get him to be that guy.

Buuuut even with that he had horsefeathers defense from all accounts and only pulled in a 14.6 PER. I personally believe that if Parker stays healthy he's a keeper, so Lavine is going to need to fit in next to him. Maybe you can fit his money in as a bench guy, with a more defense oriented SG starting next to Parker? I'm wondering about the possibility Jimmy coming back next year if the Bulls get a decent playoff seed and look good. The bridge is probably burned, but the team looks much better to me and a much better fit for him. It's filled with offensive options and needs some defensive glue on the perimeter. That's probably a role he could fill pretty late into his career.

The nice thing for this year is that you've got a good defensive PG and what should be a pretty good defensive center. Probably a middle of the road defensive 4 in Lauri. So I'm not so sure about this idea that the team is going to have an atrocious defense. I honestly didn't watch a single game last year, so I'm not going to go bonkers making predictions, but after watching videos on all the individual players and looking at the stats I'd say they look in the neighborhood of a 5 seed. That's with a starting roster with an average age (I saw somewhere) of 23 years old. I haven't been a fan of this front office, but this has been a very quick rebuild and I think the future of the team looks real bright. And it's with a lot of high upside offensive players rather than a bunch of grindy guys, which should make for some cool basketball.

But more than anything, I'm pumped about this Parker thing. That is a good video up there. Could be a big day for the Bulls franchise.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Looks pretty good defensively here
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:01 pm

This pic hurts...

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Return to “Other Sports”