This is the thread where we talk about how awesome Kris Bryant is

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Re: This is the thread where we talk about how awesome Kris Bryant is

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:44 pm

I have a dollar in my hand that says he has some kind of proceedure this offseason.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:47 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
David wrote:
There's no "really bad" news coming on this. Theo already said last week that most of the pain has been successfully treated and is only being felt at the extreme ends of his range of motion. Worst case IMO is something like they'll say horsefeathers it and he'll play the last few weeks + the playoffs with whatever lingering issue there is. I don't see how or why they'd suddenly say he needs surgery or something and shut him down for the season.

yeah you're right there's nothing "really bad" about our best offensive player being out indefinitely with shoulder soreness that plagued him for a good chunk of the year.

Him being out is a bad situation but they’ve done two MRIs and have said there’s really nothing wrong. It’s just soreness he has to get over it. It’s annoying and sucks but it doesn’t seem like it’s really that bad or could be that bad of an injury other than the time it’s taking to get over it. Bad news would be surgery , he has to make career altering swing change, shut down for the year etc. to me.

yeah...if the playoffs were next week, i have little doubt he'd be playing. but given that the team is in a good position and can afford to let him rest it indefinitely to err on the side of caution and get the soreness to subside as much as possible, the timeline doesn't really concern me as long as he gets a week or two of regular season games in before the playoffs.
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm

David wrote:
David wrote:
There's no "really bad" news coming on this. Theo already said last week that most of the pain has been successfully treated and is only being felt at the extreme ends of his range of motion. Worst case IMO is something like they'll say horsefeathers it and he'll play the last few weeks + the playoffs with whatever lingering issue there is. I don't see how or why they'd suddenly say he needs surgery or something and shut him down for the season.

yeah you're right there's nothing "really bad" about our best offensive player being out indefinitely with shoulder soreness that plagued him for a good chunk of the year.

to me when you say "really bad news" that means out for the rest of this season, surgery, possibly career altering, etc.

i would have bolded "really" in that instance.

i think what's really bad is that shoulder injuries linger and when they occur in-season, they rarely heal until the season is up and a long rest period begins. It's likely that whatever version of Bryant comes back will not be 100 percent Bryant.
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Yeah I am not expecting 100% KB when he comes back. But they are clearly hoping and waiting that maybe happens. Even when he was dealing with this and playing he at least was hitting like .260 and getting on base at a decent route, the power was just gone. So that still is kinda a useful guy but obviously not what we want out of him. I trust they won’t do anything to put future health in jeopardy either by rushing him back.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:39 pm

From 39 bombs in 2016 to 39 bombs over the next 2 years combined

horsefeathers the baseball gods
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Yeah I am not expecting 100% KB when he comes back. But they are clearly hoping and waiting that maybe happens. Even when he was dealing with this and playing he at least was hitting like .260 and getting on base at a decent route, the power was just gone. So that still is kinda a useful guy but obviously not what we want out of him. I trust they won’t do anything to put future health in jeopardy either by rushing him back.

I think they'll hold him out as long as they think they can get away with it. If they can win the division without him, I doubt he returns for more than a couple weeks of September.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:17 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I have a dollar in my hand that says he has some kind of proceedure this offseason.

I don't bet or gamble so I have an imaginary hundo in my hand that says he does not get some kind of procedure this offseason. Nothing major certainly.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:09 am

It's hilarious this team has the best record in the NL with Bryant missing ~40 games so far.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:07 am

I too find it hilarious when my favorite team's best player is hurt for at least half the season.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:49 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I know I'm a big giant baby but am I the only one expecting to get some really bad Kris Bryant news any day now?

Bryant said today he still had no idea when he would play or begin a rehab assignment.

But he also took swings yesterday for the first time, so it was actually a good day:

0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:57 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I know I'm a big giant baby but am I the only one expecting to get some really bad Kris Bryant news any day now?

Bryant said today he still had no idea when he would play or begin a rehab assignment.

But he also took swings yesterday for the first time, so it was actually a good day:

0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:06 pm

0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:20 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/pj_mooney/status/1028341518002737152?s=21

That's kind of terrifying. I didn't realize it was bad enough to warrant all that.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/pj_mooney/status/1028341518002737152?s=21

That's kind of terrifying. I didn't realize it was bad enough to warrant all that.

I didn’t read that in that manner. I read it more along the lines of “hey I’m not going to go crazy with training/lifting on gamedays because i don’t want nagging injuries like this one to derail me or linger”

More of a philosophical approach and less about this one particular injury.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

Because playing until you’re 40 is easy? I think its just the point where KB is starting to realize how physically demanding playing 162 pro ball is, and since he wants a long career is approaching life/routines as such. I don’t think its scary, but maybe prudent.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Ah, I've seen him next to his Dad. Unfortunately, I don't think KB is going to age well.

I know, I know... most players don't age well, but I have a bad feeling about KB in his late thirties.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:42 pm

They can always move him to 1B after Rizzo is gone in a year or two.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Regular Show wrote:

Ah, I've seen him next to his Dad. Unfortunately, I don't think KB is going to age well.

I know, I know... most players don't age well, but I have a bad feeling about KB in his late thirties.

You should have bad feelings about all players in their late 30s. Good thing that’s a decade away +/- for KB.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:57 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I too find it hilarious when my favorite team's best player is hurt for at least half the season.

Aaaaaaand the team still has the best record in the National league. you left that part out.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:30 am

Bull wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I too find it hilarious when my favorite team's best player is hurt for at least half the season.

Aaaaaaand the team still has the best record in the National league. you left that part out.

I was going to go with:

0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:58 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:They can always move him to 1B after Rizzo is gone in a year or two.

2 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:07 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

Because playing until you’re 40 is easy? I think its just the point where KB is starting to realize how physically demanding playing 162 pro ball is, and since he wants a long career is approaching life/routines as such. I don’t think its scary, but maybe prudent.

Because our 26 year old superstar hitter has a mysterious shoulder problem that has gone from day-to-day to talking about in terms of missing the season or not, and how he has to change his routine because he's worried about his body breaking down. Those are the kinds of quotes you expect from a 34-year-old.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:22 am

i mean that quote was probably just the result of Bryant getting his first taste of mortality and trying to give a reporter a quote to work with

but shoulder surgeries are not a joke. this isn't an ankle sprain. Go look at jason heyward before he hurt his shoulder and look at him now.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Forgotmyoldlogin
Role Player

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:21 pm

I didn't see this posted yet, but Bryant actually did some fielding practice before the game yesterday.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:48 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i mean that quote was probably just the result of Bryant getting his first taste of mortality and trying to give a reporter a quote to work with

but shoulder surgeries are not a joke. this isn't an ankle sprain. Go look at jason heyward before he hurt his shoulder and look at him now.

KB is having surgery? I just read he took “dry swings” with no pain, nothing about surgery
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”