This is the thread where we talk about how awesome Kris Bryant is

stitchface
Superstar

Re: This is the thread where we talk about how awesome Kris Bryant is

Postby stitchface » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:04 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i mean that quote was probably just the result of Bryant getting his first taste of mortality and trying to give a reporter a quote to work with

but shoulder surgeries are not a joke. this isn't an ankle sprain. Go look at jason heyward before he hurt his shoulder and look at him now.

KB is having surgery? I just read he took “dry swings” with no pain, nothing about surgery

he walked without assistance yesterday - doctors now think he may recover full use of his extremities
1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i mean that quote was probably just the result of Bryant getting his first taste of mortality and trying to give a reporter a quote to work with

but shoulder surgeries are not a joke. this isn't an ankle sprain. Go look at jason heyward before he hurt his shoulder and look at him now.

KB is having surgery? I just read he took “dry swings” with no pain, nothing about surgery

my bad i meant shoulder *injuries
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Have a seat, Neifi
Starter

Postby Have a seat, Neifi » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:13 pm

670 The Score
@670TheScore
Joe Maddon doesn't expect that Kris Bryant will get back to 100 percent this season; the #Cubs' goal is for his shoulder ailment to be 'manageable'

(link: https://bit.ly/2BaWZJ2) bit.ly/2BaWZJ2
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Have a seat, Neifi wrote:670 The Score
@670TheScore
Joe Maddon doesn't expect that Kris Bryant will get back to 100 percent this season; the #Cubs' goal is for his shoulder ailment to be 'manageable'

11 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:53 pm

@670TheScore

Soooo back to right handed Jason Heyward then?
0 x
Win it for Fred

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:02 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
@670TheScore

Soooo back to right handed Jason Heyward then?

He had a horrid June (lack of power, obviously, but also a sky high K rate), but in his ten July games he was still putting up a .787 OPS, even without showing any power (1 HR, 2 2Bs). Assuming any sort of health improvement from the time off, that's still a valuable hitter for this team going forward this year. Not ideal, but he can definitely help.
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:32 pm

I don't like this injury one bit and i still dont understand any of it
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:16 pm

At least he died before we had to worry about his first big extension
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:25 pm

thankfully i can guarantee you that bote continues to play at a 9 WAR pace
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Dude's gonna make a triumphant return and keep the team's OBP and BA AND their LOB high with all them mighty singles, you jerks.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 pm

This is the thread where we talk about how irreparably broken Kris Bryant is
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:48 pm

5 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:56 am

it's kind of worrying that the only remedy we've heard suggested so far is for him to not play baseball. i'd almost feel better if they just said he's going to have surgery in the offseason.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:01 am

17 Seconds wrote:it's kind of worrying that the only remedy we've heard suggested so far is for him to not play baseball. i'd almost feel better if they just said he's going to have surgery in the offseason.

I've long been picturing a heartwarming scene of him and Yu holding hands as they get wheeled into the operating room together.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:37 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:it's kind of worrying that the only remedy we've heard suggested so far is for him to not play baseball. i'd almost feel better if they just said he's going to have surgery in the offseason.

I'm long been picturing a heartwarming scene of him and Yu holding hands as they get wheeled into the operating room together.

After the parade, though. After the parade.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Old Style wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I'm long been picturing a heartwarming scene of him and Yu holding hands as they get wheeled into the operating room together.

has trump even set a date for the military parade yet? KB might wanna get the surgery first so he's 100 percent by then
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:42 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Old Style wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

has trump even set a date for the military parade yet? KB might wanna get the surgery first so he's 100 percent by then

2 weeks after world series
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:49 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Old Style wrote:After the parade, though. After the parade.

2 weeks after world series

And the Cubs will, of course, have their own float to top off the 7 visits they'll have made to the WH by that point. And instead of Dexter giving Obama some awesome custom Jordans, it's just gonna be the Ricketts tripping over each other to give Trump a pair of pre-licked boots.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Different body part but did Zobrist have any sort of surgery on his wrist in the offseason. He was dealing with that for most of last year and I think I remember hearing he just needed rest to let it heal.

This could obviously be worse than that but sometimes rest is the only thing that helps.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:56 pm

soccer10k wrote:

Different body part but did Zobrist have any sort of surgery on his wrist in the offseason. He was dealing with that for most of last year and I think I remember hearing he just needed rest to let it heal.

This could obviously be worse than that but sometimes rest is the only thing that helps.

Pessimistically, I've kinda accepted at this point that we aren't going to see full strength KB in 2018.

Optimistically, he had decent numbers in his 10 July games, and it sounds like there wasn't some flareup when he stopped playing, he was just sore and knew he wasn't 100%, so it's hard to see him coming back as anything less than that. Power might be sapped, but there's still plenty of value there.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

I've long been picturing a heartwarming scene of him and Yu holding hands as they get wheeled into the operating room together.

Double arm transplants. Darvish gets Bryant’s right, Bryant gets Darvish’s left.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:06 pm

"His shoulder injury might be permanently damaging him as a hitter but at least he had a .787 OPS in 47 July PAs before throwing in the towel" is peak Duke and he didn't even post it.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:"His shoulder injury might be permanently damaging him as a hitter but at least he had a .787 OPS in 47 July PAs before throwing in the towel" is peak Duke and he didn't even post it.

I'm usually not optimistic when it comes to injuries, and I'm not with Bryant, either.

I do agree with the sentiment that Bryant could come back at any time and not be a complete zero with the bat. When he returns, I think he'll be more of a singles and doubles hitter that can get on base at a decent rate. He probably could be that right now.

If he just needs rest, then rest him. Let his shoulder heal as much as possible and get the best version of him possible in the lineup for the playoffs. To do that, he can't be trying to play through it and exacerbating anything.

But, as far as this year is concerned, no, I don't think we'll be seeing MVP Kris Bryant. He'll just be a guy. He'll try to play through it and he won't be anything close to the same.

But oh well. Nothing we can do about that now.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:18 am

It's WAY better that surgery isn't necessary or a possible option right now. Trust me on this one -- just look at Ryan Zimmerman.

Rest and allowing the body to heal naturally are usually always the best options. You should want to avoid getting any surgery unless it's super minor and just to cleanup loose bodies or something like that.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:41 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Cubs Discussions”