Regular Season Rumors

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:46 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:If you can make a deal for DeGrom using Happ and Almora and basically any reasonable permutation of minor leaguers, that's realllly hard for me to turn down. Especially with Bote looking at least LaStella-caliber with the bat, you can add a bench OF too and shift more of Zobrist's innings to the OF without losing too much. If Bote isn't for real you lose the super-duper depth of position player even if you add Harper for 2019, but DeGrom is very, very good.

This is my thinking as well. Bote seems to be able to replace Happ within reason and this might be Almora’s peak year which is plenty fine but a 2-3 WAR OF isn’t that hard to find/replace (like I mentioned Maybin as an in season replacement). I also am just not a huge fan of Almora’s profile long term in terms of ever being much more than a 2-3 WAR player. Plus it opens things up for Bryce in the OF in the offseason and doesn’t make a Happ/Almora trade a forced trade in the offseason. Then you maybe also look to add a bench bat that’s RHH and capabale or playing CF in the offseason.

Does Happ even start in the Mets outfield when Cespedes comes back?

None of Nimmo/Cespedes/Conforto can play CF with any level of ability, so yes. They'd probably be best served by Cespedes/Almora/Happ/Conforto all sharing time across the OF and moving Nimmo to 1B. Happ could also help out at 2B/3B once they have no use for Todd Frazier or Cabrera anymore, since Cecchini is the only longer term option and he hasn't shown he can hit yet.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:53 pm

I don’t think Happ/Almora gets it done.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:06 pm

CubinNY wrote:I don’t think Happ/Almora gets it done.

I’d kindly go tell the Mets to go horsefeathers themseleves then if those 2+ a few non Amaya prospects didn’t get it done.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 pm

I do wonder if a 3 team trade would be possible if the Mets want more prospecty dudes. Maybe Almora and some stuff to the Marlins for a good prospect which goes to the Mets, Happ and some prospects from us as well to the Mets and DeGrom and Maybin to us.

Almora is the local kid coming home and Jeets gets his Jeets.

Last edited by Cubswin11 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:18 pm

It's hard to say. DeGrom is likely the most valuable pitcher in baseball right now (Kluber?), but at the same time he is a pitcher. Happ and Almora both look like ~3 win guys right now with plenty of control. There's maybe not as much upside as one might like from the Mets POV, but short of like Vlad Jr. I'm not sure there are any prospects floating around more valuable than them.

I feel like both fanbases would justifiably feel ripped off, so I think it's in the right neighborhood.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Let’s say Happ was blocked and never came up last year and was still down this year or just came up this year. I think we can assume he’d be putting up great numbers in AAA with positional versatility and a switch hitter, he would be like a top 7-12 prospect in baseball right now if he qualified, right?

I know it’s not the case and the dreaming of a prospect potential has worn off with him but he’s still just 23.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Vinestal
5-Time All-Star

Postby Vinestal » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Seems like the Mets would want Victor Caratini included since they don’t have a decent catcher and don’t look to have one any time soon right? I hadn’t seen him mentioned at all here. They might have to make a secondary deal for a backup catcher but that shouldn’t be to hard.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Vinestal wrote:Seems like the Mets would want Victor Caratini included since they don’t have a decent catcher and don’t look to have one any time soon right? I hadn’t seen him mentioned at all here. They might have to make a secondary deal for a backup catcher but that shouldn’t be to hard.

They can have him. Just go trade for Rivera or Maldonado or someone.
2 x
Screw Pitchers

porterbela
bench player

Postby porterbela » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:10 pm

CubinNY wrote:I don’t think Happ/Almora gets it done.

I 100% agree. I wish it were enough but from talking to my buddy that's a Mets fan, I doubt it's nearly enough. I'm not taking anything away from Almora or Happ here but I don't think they're the type of player the Mets want back, I could be wrong. However, if the Mets are willing to trade legit No. 1 starting pitchers with 2+ years of control left, why would they trade them for players that are already in the big leagues? If that's what they're looking for then I'd guess they'd want Schwarbs, Russell, or Baez instead. Also, if one of those pitchers are available, you bet your ass that Stearns and the Brewers aren't going to let the Cubs outbid them again.

I told my buddy that the 2015 Mets reminded me of the 2003 Cubs with all the young pitching and if they didn't win that year they'd have to blow it up and start building more like the 2015 Cubs...he laughed at me. :D :D
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 pm

I liked Kirby Yates as a target and even more now after seeing him pitch after last night. We should take him back with us after the trip to SD. Would think he wouldn’t take more than like Underwood and Short.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I liked Kirby Yates as a target and even more now after seeing him pitch after last night. We should take him back with us after the trip to SD. Would think he wouldn’t take more than like Underwood and Short.

Trading Javy's replacement for a relief pitcher? I think not.
2 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:53 pm

MLB.com wrote:July 14: Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard would be the prizes of the starting pitching market if the Mets decided to trade either of their two aces. So it's no surprise that Syndergaard was being heavily scouted on his return from the disabled list Friday at Citi Field.

On hand to watch the flamethrowing right-hander were the Yankees, Mariners and Cubs, among others, according to the New York Post's Ken Davidoff. All three are contending teams that could benefit greatly from adding a frontline starter to their rotation. One scout told Davidoff that Syndergaard flashed "a pretty good power selection" on Friday night.

!!!*

Does something like Almora, Happ, Amaya, De la Cruz, Lange, and Little get the Cubs Syndergaard and Lugo?* DeGrom and Lugo?

* I don't think the Mets trade Syndergaard
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:21 am

Why do we want a guy who already has a partially torn UCL like Otani did when he came over? Degrom and Syndergaard absolutely, but I'll pass on giving up assets for Lugo.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:25 am

Tryptamine wrote:Why do we want a guy who already has a partially torn UCL like Otani did when he came over? Degrom and Syndergaard absolutely, but I'll pass on giving up assets for Lugo.

Oh, then Gsellman or Wheeler instead
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:04 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
MLB.com wrote:July 14: Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard would be the prizes of the starting pitching market if the Mets decided to trade either of their two aces. So it's no surprise that Syndergaard was being heavily scouted on his return from the disabled list Friday at Citi Field.

On hand to watch the flamethrowing right-hander were the Yankees, Mariners and Cubs, among others, according to the New York Post's Ken Davidoff. All three are contending teams that could benefit greatly from adding a frontline starter to their rotation. One scout told Davidoff that Syndergaard flashed "a pretty good power selection" on Friday night.

!!!*

Does something like Almora, Happ, Amaya, De la Cruz, Lange, and Little get the Cubs Syndergaard and Lugo?* DeGrom and Lugo?

From today's Tribune: And the Cubs appear firm in their unwillingness to move any position players from their major-league roster to acquire pitching help.
“We’ve shown were really loyal to this core group for a reason,” Hoyer said. “They’ve earned that loyalty with their performance over 3½ seasons. Our focus really is on supplementing that group.”
0 x

Agony and Ivy
All-Star

Postby Agony and Ivy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

!!!*

From today's Tribune: And the Cubs appear firm in their unwillingness to move any position players from their major-league roster to acquire pitching help.
“We’ve shown were really loyal to this core group for a reason,” Hoyer said. “They’ve earned that loyalty with their performance over 3½ seasons. Our focus really is on supplementing that group.”

To me, those comments don't include Happ.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Agony and Ivy wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
!!!*

That’s a good point, depending on the question he’s answering, it could be inclusive of Happ/Almora or more like saying they aren’t going to trade Baez/Russell/Schwarber.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Agony and Ivy wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
!!!*

Almora is technically not from within that time range either. Baez, Russell, Bryant, Rizzo, and Schwarber all were on the 2015 squad.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:55 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Agony and Ivy wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Almora is technically not from within that time range either. Baez, Russell, Bryant, Rizzo, and Schwarber all were on the 2015 squad.

My take on it is not to expect the big deal and get by with supplementary pieces (bullpen, cheaper rental SP, etc.) that can be acquired with prospects. Obviously, if they don't get to/win the WS, then some of the positional players will be available in the offseason. The FO has been saying all along that they have confidence in this team and are basically looking for pitching depth.
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Sounds like we're tied to Zach Britton (again). I really the idea. His velocity was down in June (he probably rushed back too fast), but in July he's been throwing 95+ again and has reverted to being amazing. But given the injury and the salary I would imagine the player cost would still be relatively low.
1 x

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm

I certainly like the idea of Britton, as you can never have enough top pen arms these days. However, I really don't know what to think about the roation and whether we need someone like JA Happ more than Britton or not.

I'd like to think at least one of Darvish/Montgomery/Smyly could be in a position to start games in October, but that makes me a little nervous to count on that. And it's not like the top 3 in the roation are dominant either. Maybe the best way to combat this is a super-duper bullpen? I dont know. Money-wise I suppose we could fit Eovaldi with Britton, but other teams want pitchers too.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Gilby wrote:I certainly like the idea of Britton, as you can never have enough top pen arms these days. However, I really don't know what to think about the roation and whether we need someone like JA Happ more than Britton or not.

I'd like to think at least one of Darvish/Montgomery/Smyly could be in a position to start games in October, but that makes me a little nervous to count on that. And it's not like the top 3 in the roation are dominant either. Maybe the best way to combat this is a super-duper bullpen? I dont know. Money-wise I suppose we could fit Eovaldi with Britton, but other teams want pitchers too.

The last I read was that the A's were going to be buyers at the deadline, but picking up someone like Cahill would be great (and cheap). Perfect swingman to eat some innings as a spot starter in September with Montgomery and Smyly and then reverting back to the bullpen for the playoffs.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:24 pm

The Cubs have to get at least another starter don’t you think?
0 x

porterbela
bench player

Postby porterbela » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:48 am

CubinNY wrote:The Cubs have to get at least another starter don’t you think?

I think most would say "yes" to that question. Not enough depth right now. I don't think the Cubs really need to get an ace type pitcher if they think Darvish will come back healthy soon. However, you have to assume the Brewers will be making a big splash to energize their team. It's also looking ahead to the playoffs. Cubs need a healthy and strong bullpen. If they don't add another starter that's better than Chatwood, they're going to struggle to keep that bullpen fresh.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:51 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/marcus-stroman ... 00191.html

Steve Buffery of the Toronto Sun reports that while Stroman was initially cool, calm, and collected when speaking to the media after the game, he eventually snapped. Stroman was asked by a reporter about breaking into professional baseball with short-season Single-A Vancouver in 2012. Stroman yelled at the reporter, noting that his team had just lost to the Red Sox, and called his team “f– terrible.” Keegan Matheson’s account of the situation lines up with Buffery’s as well.

———

I wonder if the Cubs can dump Chatwood on someone like the Angels, A’s, Twins, Phillies, or Rockies?
0 x

Return to “Transactions”