Regular Season Rumors

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:50 am

17 Seconds wrote:the indians are low key stacked

I really don't get why they passed on McCutchen. They need the OF help.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:38 am

Dodgers get Freese from Pirates.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Indians aren't as good as they appear to be. Half their games this year have been against KC, CWS, Detroit & Minn. Imagine how good all our players' stats would be if that were the case for us.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Tim wrote:

Indians aren't as good as they appear to be. Half their games this year have been against KC, CWS, Detroit & Minn. Imagine how good all our players' stats would be if that were the case for us.

I mean they are a very dangerous and talented team come postseason time. Yeah, they got to beatup on some crappy teams and the AL Central is the worst division by far.

Still, I think their bullpen has really let them down this year and they've fixed that for the most part. I wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:28 am

Tim wrote:

i'm not talking about what they've done in the regular season, i just think they look really good for the playoffs because of the top-end pitchers they can ride. although i had no idea that miller was broken again.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:07 pm

I think both lines of thought on the Indians are true. They are scary to face in the playoffs because of their starting pitching. But I do think their horrible division and easy schedule might be masking some serious issues with that team.

Kluber/Carrasco/Bauer/Clevinger is insane. But there is a lot of trash on that roster and they haven’t done much to clean it up. Like Raisin said, they really should have went after McCutchen to help in the outfield. And they should have been all over guys like Jesse Chavez. They needed to add like 2 more relievers, at least. The bullpen is still a hot mess. If Miller comes back, it’s not as much of an issue. But he has shoulder problems, so I think it would be unwise to count on him.

And I have no idea what Francona has been doing all year with his starters. Because of the bullpen issues, he’s been riding those starters hard — often leaving starters in an inning more than he probably should. Bauer has a ton of 110+ pitch outings. That division has been a wrap since the season started. If the bullpen blows a game, who cares? They have a 14-game lead and he’s still pushing starters into the 8th. And their playoff strategy is basically the exact opposite of bullpening. They are hoping for 7-8 from the starter and then hand it over to Hand. Those starters should be getting rested so they are fresh enough for a heavy playoff workload.

All year, I’ve thought they were set up to be a real threat in the playoffs because of the starters. And I still do think that. But I do think they have gotten fat off of an easy schedule, too. Looking at Bauer, for instance, someone pointed out on Twitter how easy his matchups have been all year. Go look through his game logs; he’s had a steady diet of facing horrible offenses. I think Bauer is legitimately very good now. He’s changed his repertoire and he’s always had this talent in him. But he’s probably not this good.

And if that’s the case with Bauer, then how bad actually is their bullpen? And what about all the trash hitting 5-9? The top-end talent is there to dominate in the playoffs. But if the rest of the talent is bad enough to prevent them from being more than 20 over against that schedule, they might just be too flawed to be more than an ordinary playoff team.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Plus Bauer might not be back healthy in time for the playoffs.
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:53 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Plus Bauer might not be back healthy in time for the playoffs.

Depends on how much colloidal silver he can get his hands on.
6 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:26 pm

Some housekeeping:

Jaime Garcia added to the 40 man, Zagunis put on 60 day DL to make room.

The Angels claimed Luke Farrell off waivers. We DFA'd Mazzoni and Zastryszny but they cleared waivers and were kept in the organization.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:01 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Plus Bauer might not be back healthy in time for the playoffs.

"Shouldn't be a problem, they said we got an extra Hand for the playoffs!" - Bauer
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:14 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Some housekeeping:

The Angels claimed Luke Farrell off waivers. We DFA'd Mazzoni and Zastryszny but they cleared waivers and were kept in the organization.

Surprised no one wanted Mazzoni and that the Angels claimed Luke Farrell.

I'm NOT surprised Z cleared waivers lol.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:29 pm

Regular Show wrote:

Isn't Mazzoni hurt? He only had one outing between August 10th and the 28th. Not that a team wouldn't claim him but I think he has some sort of injury.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:32 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Isn't Mazzoni hurt? He only had one outing between August 10th and the 28th. Not that a team wouldn't claim him but I think he has some sort of injury.

Yeah, you might be right. I mean I'd still claim him if I were an exec for some crappy rebuilding team as long as the injury isn't too serious.

If the injury were really serious the Cubs would just move him to the 60-day DL to clear up a spot like what they did with Zagunis.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Rangers to fire Jeff Banister as manager.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”