2019 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: 2019 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:25 pm

Another talented large frame position player in this draft class, a HS hitter:

6’5” 200 1B maybe COF prospect, commited to Fresno State, also a LHP
0 x
Spoiler: show

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:01 pm

I don't understand the point of doing a mock draft this early, but they're fun to look at I guess. This one isn't terrible and they contain short blurbs on the players.

In this mock draft they have the Cubs taking 3B/1B Brett Baty. Yes, his last name is Baty and I know next to nothing about this prospect.

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:14 pm

Regular Show wrote:

I don't understand the point of doing a mock draft this early, but they're fun to look at I guess. This one isn't terrible and they contain short blurbs on the players.

In this mock draft they have the Cubs taking 3B/1B Brett Baty. Yes, his last name is Baty and I know next to nothing about this prospect.

Clickbait. Any mock before May 1st is clickbait.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Bertz wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Clickbait. Any mock before May 1st is clickbait.

Yeah, I agree with that idea, but there are good useful mock drafts before May 1st. I think in the spring once college baseball gets going and once more information is available then the mock drafts start becoming better.

This one is pretty good, and that's why I included it here. I've seen some really terrible ones online (or at least I think they're terrible and way off).
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:49 pm

Yeah, it’s obviously going to be wildly inaccurate but I always eat up early mocks because they’re fun and provide a picture of a certain scenario.

Not that it matters, I fully expect the Cubs to lose their first round pick for signing Bryce.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:05 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Yeah, it’s obviously going to be wildly inaccurate but I always eat up early mocks because they’re fun and provide a picture of a certain scenario.

Not that it matters, I fully expect the Cubs to lose their first round pick for signing Bryce.

Again, I'm almost positive the Cubs will NOT lose their first round pick for signing Bryce Harper (after he receives the QO from the Nats). I'm pretty sure I'm right. I'm doubting myself because multiple posters here keep saying this...

I believe the Cubs would lose their 2nd round pick + $500K in IFA money for the next signing period. If they finished the season over the luxury tax threshold I believe they would lose their 2nd round and 5th round picks + $1 mil in IFA money. I don't think the Cubs finished the season over the luxury tax and just managed to stay underneath it.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:25 pm

Regular Show wrote:There is so much content available now on draft prospects. It's kinda crazy. The 2018 WWBA World Championship event just took place and there were so many elite HS players/pitchers.

This kid seems pretty interesting, but I could list a bunch right now. Good, simple delivery and I think he's very projectable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=33&v=-uAHpRyYVTU

Reggie Crawford (2019, Frackville, Pa.) has made some serious noise in the past few months as a physical lefthanded pitching prospect who has reached as high as 94 mph with his fastball at PG events. He got the ball for Blackhawks National on Thursday in their opening game of the WWBA World Championship and didn’t disappoint, shutting out Palm Beach Select over 3 1/3 innings, scattering three hits and a walk while picking up four strikeouts. Crawford has excellent size, looking every bit of his listed 6-foot-4, 206-pounds. There’s a fair amount of looseness to his arm stroke to go along with above average arm speed, and he sat in the 88-91 mph range for the most part with his fastball, creating outstanding angles to the plate from a very extended three-quarters slot. His best pitches of the outing came on fastballs located to his glove side against righthanded hitters, an almost impossible pitch to hit given the angle it comes in at. The breaking ball will need improvement, but if there’s one thing we’ve learned about the UConn coaching staff over the past few years it’s that they have no trouble teaching talented lefthanders how to spin the baseball. -- Brian Sakowski

This Reggie Crawford guy really stands out in what looks like a weak HS pitching crop to this point, at least from scrolling through PG’s 2019 draftee playlist. He’s bigger than alot of guys, phiscal but projectable, left handed, and it’s always nice to see a young pitcher who pitches aggressively with a fastball he commands

Another HS player that’s stood out early for me, Blake Janowicz, is another projectable giant (6’5”) who might be a legit two way talent. Hits 94 and throws strikes as a pitcher but looks like he could develop as a RHH too:

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:31 pm

Regular Show wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Yeah, it’s obviously going to be wildly inaccurate but I always eat up early mocks because they’re fun and provide a picture of a certain scenario.

Again, I'm almost positive the Cubs will NOT lose their first round pick for signing Bryce Harper (after he receives the QO from the Nats). I'm pretty sure I'm right. I'm doubting myself because multiple posters here keep saying this...

I believe the Cubs would lose their 2nd round pick + $500K in IFA money for the next signing period. If they finished the season over the luxury tax threshold I believe they would lose their 2nd round and 5th round picks + $1 mil in IFA money. I don't think the Cubs finished the season over the luxury tax and just managed to stay underneath it.

Yes, the Cubs finished below the luxury tax this year. Guess it’s time for me to research the CBA stuff, I might be operating on old information from the Heyward/Lackey offseason.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:01 am

I was looking up more info on Brett Baty and came across this old tweet lol:

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:32 am

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-draft-top ... -301460626

BREAKDOWN

College: 27
HS: 22
JC: 1

RHP: 12
OF: 10
SS: 10
LHP: 6
3B: 5
1B: 4
C: 2
2B: 1

Top tools

All players, as always, are given grades on the 20-to-80 scouting scale for all tools or pitches. These are future grades, a reflection of what the scouting industry thinks each of these amateur players can become in the future. Here are the top grades for each tool and pitch.

Position players
Hit: 60 -- Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State; Andrew Vaughn, 1B, California; Riley Greene, Hagerty (Fla.) HS; Corbin Carroll, Lakeside (Wash.) HS
Power: 60 -- Andrew Vaughn, 1B, California; Rece Hinds, 3B, IMG Academy (Fla.)
Run: 75 -- CJ Abrams, SS, Blessed Trinity Catholic (Ga.) HS; Jerrion Ealy, OF, Jackson Prep (Miss.)
Arm: 70 -- Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor
Field: 60 -- Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State; Bobby Witt Jr., SS, Colleyville Heritage (Texas) HS; Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor; Mike Toglia, 1B/OF, UCLA; Nasim Nunez, SS, Collins Hill (Ga.) HS

Pitchers
Fastball: 70 -- Brennan Malone, RHP, IMG Academy (Fla.); Daniel Espino, RHP, Georgia Premier Academy; Ryne Nelson, RHP, Oregon
Curveball: 65 -- Carter Stewart, RHP, None
Slider: 65 -- Graeme Stinson, LHP, Duke
Changeup: 55 -- Nick Lodolo, LHP, TCU
Control: 55 -- Jack Leiter, RHP, Delbarton (N.J.) HS

Michael Tolgia, still the player I really like for the Cubs in this draft, ranked 42 with some things I like to read (complimenting his RH hitting ability as a switch hitter, lots of power, 20 on draft day, plus defense at 1B enough athleticism for corner OF)

Definitely no Kumar Rockers in this HS crop early, but Maurice Hampton has some badass tools as a position player. Spencer Jones, Matthew Lugo, and Jerrion Ealy also stand out anong the HS hitters. Reggie Crawford mentioned earlier in the thread looks better as a P prospect than alot of guys ranked over him, he didn’t make the top 50

Oregon’s Ryne Nelson seems like he could get interesting as a RHP college prospect. He was a pretty serious HS pitcher and dominated the Cape (26 Ks, 8 Hs, 1 HR in 17 IP) this summer showing three pitches

Rece Hinds at 23 seems a little low even this early
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:32 am

Mock draft: https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... ock-draft/

27 Cubs: Kameron Misner Missouri OF

Why It Makes Sense: The Cubs built their team on the back of productive college bats selected early in the draft, and Misner has a track record of hitting in the Southeastern Conference that stacks up with anyone. He’s coming off of a .360/.497/.576 campaign that would have been even more impressive if not for a foot injury that cut his season short by six weeks. Misner also has a solid wood bat track record and showed he could hit for power without aluminum in his hands when he hit eight home runs in 38 games during the summer of 2017 in the New England Collegiate League.
0 x

Redfoot
Role Player

Postby Redfoot » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:07 pm

I don’t have BA subscription. Can you post the top 10? Thanks
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:51 am

Redfoot wrote:I don’t have BA subscription. Can you post the top 10? Thanks

1. Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon St
2. Bobby Witt Jr, SS, HS (TX)
3. Andrew Vaughn, 1B, Cal
4. Riley Greene, OF, HS (FL)
5. CJ Abrams, SS, HS (GA)
6. Corbin Carroll, OF, HS (WA)
7. Shea Langliers, C, Baylor
8. Jerrion Ealy, OF, HS (MS)
9. Graeme Stinson, LHP, Duke
10. Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Tech
0 x

Redfoot
Role Player

Postby Redfoot » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:54 am

Interesting. Thank you

Can’t see Corbin Carroll going that high. Really nice player but he doesn’t have the upside for a pick that high. Same with Langeliers. Great glove just not sure he’s gonna hit. Jung is the guy i’m most interested in. If he can show he can stay at 3B he could go top 5 or even top 3. I love his bat.
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”