Cubs TV broadcast rights

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Cubs TV broadcast rights

Postby David » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Bote McBoteface wrote:I know that its been a lousy offseason and everybody here is disappointed, but This is the only thing from this offseason that reallllly bothers me. Ive been looking forward to the Cubs network and a money windfall from it since what, 2010/2011? Now that its here they go and give it to a conservative propaganda outlet and the money windfall doesnt exist. Thanks for the world series, Ricketts. Now eat horsefeathers and horsefeathers off.

are you saying this because of something that was reported about this TV station or just what we already know about this stupid 2018-19 offseason?
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm

David wrote:
Bote McBoteface wrote:I know that its been a lousy offseason and everybody here is disappointed, but This is the only thing from this offseason that reallllly bothers me. Ive been looking forward to the Cubs network and a money windfall from it since what, 2010/2011? Now that its here they go and give it to a conservative propaganda outlet and the money windfall doesnt exist. Thanks for the world series, Ricketts. Now eat horsefeathers and horsefeathers off.

are you saying this because of something that was reported about this TV station or just what we already know about this stupid 2018-19 offseason?

Does it matter? It might as well not exist for whatever reason.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:27 pm

I will not cheer for billionaires becoming even richer. I can't comprehend the mindset of regular people who do.

Also, not really apropos of this thread, but I recall someone asking during the 2016 post-season (maybe late regular season?) whether each fan here would trade a Trump presidency for a guaranteed Cubs WS win. What a horsefeathers -show ever since. horsefeathers the Ricketts. I can't be articulate about this, and I accept that.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:28 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I will not cheer for billionaires becoming even richer. I can't comprehend the mindset of regular people who do.

Also, not really apropos of this thread, but I recall someone asking during the 2016 post-season (maybe late regular season?) whether each fan here would trade a Trump presidency for a guaranteed Cubs WS win. What a horsefeathers -show ever since. horsefeathers the Ricketts. I can't be articulate about this, and I accept that.

Did that thread actually exist? Because if so we need to find it.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm

squally1313 wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:I will not cheer for billionaires becoming even richer. I can't comprehend the mindset of regular people who do.

Did that thread actually exist? Because if so we need to find it.

It was meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=237&p=102397&hilit=trump+world+serieS+PRESIDENT#p102044
1 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:Wouldn't come close to touching the button. Because one is sports and one is real life.

On a semi-releated note, I WOULD pay $5,000 or more to temporarily view the alternate reality of a Trump presidency just to see how messed up things would get.

so about that
3 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:51 pm

David wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:Wouldn't come close to touching the button. Because one is sports and one is real life.

On a semi-releated note, I WOULD pay $5,000 or more to temporarily view the alternate reality of a Trump presidency just to see how messed up things would get.

so about that

Ok I'm done viewing, how do I pay my $5,000 and return to reality?
11 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:57 pm

https://670thescore.radio.com/cubs-sinc ... rk-marquee

The Cubs will be paid a rights fee from the venture. The other profits from sales and distribution will be split on a percentage basis.

Distribution of the Marquee network will be the charge of the Sinclair experts. Selling the product to local carriers will be the task. The biggest hurdle figures to be with Comcast, which owns NBC Sports Chicago, which has its own regional sports partnership with the Blackhawks, Bulls and White Sox. Will there be a conflict of interest or any troubles in negotiations? Sinclair owns 190 stations throughout the country, so that may create some leverage.

The Dodgers signed an $8.3-billion, 25-year television deal with Time Warner back in 2013, a venture that has gone well for the team financially but poorly for consumers because of distribution issues with local cable carriers that have prevented many in the Los Angeles market from getting the games.

Those involved with Marquee don't expect a problem of that sort.

"We are very confident we will get over that hurdle," Ripley said. "At the end of the day, the Dodger situation was very unique for a lot of different reasons -- not the least of which is the power of the franchise. The Cubs and what they mean to Chicago and their fans versus the Dodgers -- not to belittle the Dodgers -- there are just areas of LA (in which) they are not that important. I want to say how excited we are to be partnering with such a storied franchise like the Cubs and be involved in this great city of Chicago."
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:49 pm

David wrote:https://670thescore.radio.com/cubs-sinclair-broadcast-launch-new-television-network-marquee

The Cubs will be paid a rights fee from the venture. The other profits from sales and distribution will be split on a percentage basis.

Between the Trump re-election fund and the Joe Ricketts bison fund
4 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 pm

I think this broke me.

From Chapman to Russell to Murphy to Joe to emails to this offseason being perfectly set up for the Cubs and destroyed by financial ignorance, to now their big TV plan being a partnership with Sinclair...I think I'm done with the Cubs for a while.

I like the players for the most part, and the radio is still an option, and I like the baseball part of the front office, but I now hope this ownership falls hard and that makes me sad.
3 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:18 pm

bukie wrote:I think this broke me.

From Chapman to Russell to Murphy to Joe to emails to this offseason being perfectly set up for the Cubs and destroyed by financial ignorance, to now their big TV plan being a partnership with Sinclair...I think I'm done with the Cubs for a while.

I like the players for the most part, and the radio is still an option, and I like the baseball part of the front office, but I now hope this ownership falls hard and that makes me sad.

Hey don't forget MLB donating to Cindy-Hyde Smith!
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 pm

How will we get access to this channel? Will it be included in basic packages or an extra add-on fee?
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:23 pm

Omar wrote:How will we get access to this channel? Will it be included in basic packages or an extra add-on fee?

From what I've read it would be part of a package (like ESPN) and not an optional added fee (like HBO)
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:23 pm

Omar wrote:How will we get access to this channel? Will it be included in basic packages or an extra add-on fee?

who carries it and how is yet to be determined.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:24 pm

That all depends on negotiations, but most likely the majority of chicago area folks will get this on their normal cable package, or whatever tier they need to get CSN and the cable company will include the fee into the bill.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:26 pm

So are they not releasing the dollar figures because they aren't available? Or are they just aware of the bad optics in bragging about a multi-billion dollar deal when they're claiming they can't afford $4M for Chavez?
0 x
Spoiler: show

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Tim wrote:So are they not releasing the dollar figures because they aren't available? Or are they just aware of the bad optics in bragging about a multi-billion dollar deal when they're claiming they can't afford $4M for Chavez?

who knows...carriage fees (and who is paying them) are still TBD as far as we know but at this year's convention, theo did say something to the effect that the first couple of years while they get going they probably won't see a big influx as compared to the last few years. hopefully that's wrong.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Going to go right from money going to Wrigley Renovations to money going to starting a network.
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Brian wrote:Going to go right from money going to Wrigley Renovations to money going to starting a network.

yeah, the cash isn't going to the Cubs.
1 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:57 pm

bukie wrote:I think this broke me.

The baseball part of the front office acquired Chapman and Murphy and re-signed Russell.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:05 pm

I'm hoping (and praying) that Sinclair somehow horsefeathers this up and can't make good on this deal and the Cubs are forced to look for another distributor. It wouldn't be the first time they screwed up...

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm

David wrote:
Tim wrote:So are they not releasing the dollar figures because they aren't available? Or are they just aware of the bad optics in bragging about a multi-billion dollar deal when they're claiming they can't afford $4M for Chavez?

who knows...carriage fees (and who is paying them) are still TBD as far as we know but at this year's convention, theo did say something to the effect that the first couple of years while they get going they probably won't see a big influx as compared to the last few years. hopefully that's wrong.

0 x
► Show Spoiler

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Burn it all down.
3 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:15 am

just think of what this organization is going to be when the on-field talent gets old and the super talented front office leaves
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:15 am

17 Seconds wrote:just think of what this organization is going to be when the on-field talent gets old and the super talented front office leaves

In the hell they deserve.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Cubs Discussions”