General Cubs Chit-Chat

squally1313
All-Star

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby squally1313 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:16 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
wekse wrote:She totally seems the type to live out a fake christian life only to be found she's actually a horsefeathers person.

Before we go too crazy are we sure "has been guilty of inappropriate marital conduct which render further cohabitation impossible." actually means anything specific and bad?

Also, she filed for divorce on the same day. So maybe let's hold off on any sort of character trashing for the time being.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed May 15, 2019 7:39 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2019/05/15/chicago-cubs-ben-zobrist-files-separation-wife-williamson-county/3680470002/

Julia = Cindy

What if Dave Martinez = Dave Martinez in this analogy?

plausible
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed May 15, 2019 7:40 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
wekse wrote:She totally seems the type to live out a fake christian life only to be found she's actually a horsefeathers person.

Before we go too crazy are we sure "has been guilty of inappropriate marital conduct which render further cohabitation impossible." actually means anything specific and bad?

Yeah, I like Zobrist so I'd love to immediately jump to the "Julianna did something terrible" idea, and that line certainly implies as such, but I'm not gonna go there just yet.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed May 15, 2019 8:32 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2019/05/15/chicago-cubs-ben-zobrist-files-separation-wife-williamson-county/3680470002/

The three-page filing says his wife "has been guilty of inappropriate marital conduct which render further cohabitation impossible."

The filing says Zobrist, 37, hopes the parties will enter into a marital dissolution agreement and permanent parenting plan, or for a judge to enter an order of legal separation and have the two live separately, "unless they can reconcile."

"Husband is unsure if the marriage can be salvaged," the filing says,

Is this common for two concurrent proceedings to happen like this?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/chi ... ok-county/

Separate filings in different jurisdictions in cases involving large marital assets are not uncommon. Marital assets for the purpose of divorce proceedings in some states are determined at the date of filing. Illinois is among the states that determine assets on the date the divorce is final.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Wed May 15, 2019 8:45 pm

The three-page filing says his wife "has been guilty of inappropriate marital conduct which render further cohabitation impossible."

0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 pm

I really don't care who is at fault. Divorces happen.

Wondering for those who have gotten divorced, how long do you get to be away from your job while dealing with it? Like is Zobrist gone for more than a month, or does the dude need to get back to work?
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:I really don't care who is at fault. Divorces happen.

Wondering for those who have gotten divorced, how long do you get to be away from your job while dealing with it? Like is Zobrist gone for more than a month, or does the dude need to get back to work?

I've never been divorced, but c'mon normal people don't just stop going to work.
7 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Old Style wrote:

Again, this doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

My understanding is that in Tennessee you can’t have a “no fault” divorce if any matter within the divorce is contested.

In Illinois, you can say the grounds for divorce are “irreconcilable differences” or “we just don’t get along any more” and then duke it out over the kids, the house, the dog and everything else. In Tennessee, you can only use the “we don’t get along” grounds if everything else is settled. Basically, even if you’re only going to fight over the family silverware you still have to allege infidelity, abuse, insanity or something else like that.

The way Zobrist’s filing is worded, not actually coming out and saying “she horsefeathers someone else,” it could just mean they’re fighting over money, property or kids and had to come up with some grounds to get the process going. Being forced to air dirty laundry in public - sometimes fabricated - is one of the reasons Illinois and other states moved away from the law requiring grounds other than “irreconcilable differences.”
3 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm

how long before we stop comparing major league athletes who are at the top 1% of the world at their profession to our lame ass 9-5 selves and pretend it's somehow a meaningful comparison
1 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 pm

David wrote:

how long before we stop comparing major league athletes who are at the top 1% of the world at their profession to our lame ass 9-5 selves and pretend it's somehow a meaningful comparison

Not just yet.

So, how long? Dude is getting a divorce. Let's go.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed May 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
David wrote:

Not just yet.

he's got a sub 600 OPS this year. You can wait.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Wed May 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Speaking as a former divorce attorney, divorce can be utterly devastating for some people, akin to having your spouse or kids die in terms of the traumatic impact. If it’s sudden, unexpected or one-sided it absolutely upends one’s life. People get PTSD from going through rough divorces. And the antagonistic nature of it, especially the child custody aspect, absolutely brings out the worst in people.

I don’t know anyone who took a month off of work for their divorce, but I certainly know people that should have taken month off or more. But they weren’t multi-millionaire baseball players. So they didn’t have the opportunity.
8 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed May 15, 2019 9:18 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
David wrote:

Not just yet.

he's got a sub 600 OPS this year. You can wait.

Quality point.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:26 pm

champaignchris wrote:
Again, this doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

My understanding is that in Tennessee you can’t have a “no fault” divorce if any matter within the divorce is contested.

In Illinois, you can say the grounds for divorce are “irreconcilable differences” or “we just don’t get along any more” and then duke it out over the kids, the house, the dog and everything else. In Tennessee, you can only use the “we don’t get along” grounds if everything else is settled. Basically, even if you’re only going to fight over the family silverware you still have to allege infidelity, abuse, insanity or something else like that.

The way Zobrist’s filing is worded, not actually coming out and saying “she horsefeathers someone else,” it could just mean they’re fighting over money, property or kids and had to come up with some grounds to get the process going. Being forced to air dirty laundry in public - sometimes fabricated - is one of the reasons Illinois and other states moved away from the law requiring grounds other than “irreconcilable differences.”

To add to that, according to my quick google search 'inappropriate marital conduct' means:

In Tennessee, inappropriate marital conduct means a spouse has caused pain, anguish or distress to the other party and rendered continued cohabitation improper, unendurable, intolerable, or unacceptable.
0 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 pm

I like the inclusion of "improper" in that list
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Maybe she just snores or leaves her toenail clippings around.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed May 15, 2019 9:54 pm

maybe he's just tired of hearing her sing
4 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:53 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:maybe he's just tired of hearing her sing

As of the Cards weekend she was still his walk up music so I don't think so.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu May 16, 2019 3:20 am

i don't want to be a dick but missing extended time for a divorce seems odd to me
1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:04 pm

17 Seconds wrote:i don't want to be a dick but missing extended time for a divorce seems odd to me

I mean, it's essentially a leave of absence, which most salaried workers with any sort of tenure are entitled to. I don't think anyone is really sure if he's getting paid or not (which obviously isn't a huge deal for someone who's made around $70m in his career). Obviously the company can let it impact their decision on whether to keep employing you, but again...don't really think it's an issue in this scenario.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 pm

17 Seconds wrote:i don't want to be a dick but missing extended time for a divorce seems odd to me

It's the Don Draper treatment. Some second year copywriter doesn't get to take time off to reflect, the guys with a track record of performance are allowed more leeway.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu May 16, 2019 1:40 pm

If more people could do it, more people would.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu May 16, 2019 3:04 pm

It is interesting that everyone jumped straight to impropriety (myself included) when the nature of the court filing could be anything from verbal abuse, DV, substance abuse, financial shenanigans....there are tons of reasons why the marriage went south
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu May 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Derwood wrote:It is interesting that everyone jumped straight to impropriety (myself included) when the nature of the court filing could be anything from verbal abuse, DV, substance abuse, financial shenanigans....there are tons of reasons why the marriage went south

6 x

HawkeTrackler
Role Player

Postby HawkeTrackler » Thu May 16, 2019 4:42 pm

Derwood wrote:....there are tons of reasons why the marriage went south

Personally I think he just got fed up with her insane instagram posts
0 x
Friend of Nature and all-around Nice Boy. I know most of the states and all of the meals.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”