General Cubs Chit-Chat

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:48 pm

It is! But in a very shaky bullpen missing any kind of real power arm, I can't help but be wary when a dude not only stops getting as many ground balls, but also isn't striking out nearly as many guys, too. Relying too much on, "oh, I'll just get them to fly out," seems a bit iffy for a guy who has struggled with giving up dongs.

He's definitely better than he was and a serviceable reliever is a godsend at this point; I just think it's a bit premature for anything along the lines of a declaration that he's fixed.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:00 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:It is! But in a very shaky bullpen missing any kind of real power arm, I can't help but be wary when a dude not only stops getting as many ground balls, but also isn't striking out nearly as many guys, too. Relying too much on, "oh, I'll just get them to fly out," seems a bit iffy for a guy who has struggled with giving up dongs.

He's definitely better than he was and a serviceable reliever is a godsend at this point; I just think it's a bit premature for anything along the lines of a declaration that he's fixed.

The way I'm thinking of it is that by the end of the year I'm hoping for one of Edwards or Morrow to be healthy and in form. As long as there isn't any catastrophe with Kimbrel/Strop/Cishek, that means you have a really strong 6th inning on plan for the playoffs, plus some other arms that are potentially serviceable based on their history(Montgomery, Chatwood, Brach).
4 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:It is! But in a very shaky bullpen missing any kind of real power arm, I can't help but be wary when a dude not only stops getting as many ground balls, but also isn't striking out nearly as many guys, too. Relying too much on, "oh, I'll just get them to fly out," seems a bit iffy for a guy who has struggled with giving up dongs.

The GBs are ticking up, 7 of last 12 outs he’s recorded have been GBs, 3 have been Ks, 2 have been FB. So 10 of his last 12 recorded outs have been Ks or GBs. He’s looked better and is getting results, I’m not saying he’s “fixed” or super reliever Carl is finally here after seeing glimpses. But he may have turned a corner to becoming useful in some capacity.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 am

0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:06 am

0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:48 am

Rizzo with the fried chicken and beer, hilarious.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:37 pm

What a great weekend of Cubs baseball!
1 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Epstein: Zobrist could return to Cubs this season

"There's been a little definition added to how he hopes this thing might go," Epstein said on Thursday before the Cubs played the Los Angeles Dodgers. "I've been in constant touch with Zobrist. He knows the door is open. I think he's got an idea in mind on how he would like this to go, but his priorities are clear -- that's family first."

Zobrist has been in touch with the team throughout the process and recently reached out to his teammates. If he returns to the Cubs it's likely to be late in the season, potentially in September, according to one source.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:44 pm

CubinNY wrote:What a great weekend of Cubs baseball!

And then we went on the road
1 x
Win it for Fred

Return to “Cubs Discussions”