Bertz wrote:Steamer Projections came out on Fangraphs today, and they're mostly pretty generous. A few notable things I see:
- Steamer HATES Willson. Absolutely despises him. only projecting for 1.3 WAR. Doesn't even like his bat that much
- Steamer also doesn't like Bote or Happ very much, and considering those are supposed to be the fewgood parts of the bench that's obviously an indictment of the depth overall
- Steamer is very generous to the bullpen, basically viewing it as an average unit right now before we add anyone
- While not amazing, the rotation still projects as a top 10 unit
- Overall the FG depth charts currently have the Cubs 6-7 wins better than the Cards, and 8-9 better than the Reds and Brewers
Average seems fair. They have a pretty good setup considering the offseason just started - definite and established closer (even throwing in coming off a terrible year) with a very high ceiling, a couple younger MRs coming off career best seasons possibly SU/high leverage potential but only possibly, and a pool of guys who if you squint and are optimistic af could be good if this and that happens or doesn't happen...Outside of the Yankees it's not like there's a whole lot of teams rolling out crazy deep bullpens so just having Kimbrel's a really good start let alone a quantity of cheap playable (and tradeable) depth
I like the rotation. They're one guy away from making Jon Lester a possible regular season 5th starter, which would make me lover the rotation. Darvish and Hendricks are a really good duo up with Darvish possibly ready to have a little renaissance and become a way cooler personality version of Curt Schilling. Quintana closed his season strong (54 IP / 54 Ks / 11 BBs / 5 HRs)....