Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90180
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:07 am

Box Scores:

Iowa lost 9-2 Box Score

Tennessee won 7-0 Box Score

Myrtle Beach lost 5-4 Box Score

South Bend lost 9-4 Box Score

Eugene in progress Box Score

AZL Cubs 1 in progress Box Score

AZL Cubs 2 won their game suspended on 7/30 6-0 Box Score

AZL Cubs 2 in progress Box Score

DSL Cubs 1won 5-2 Box Score

DSL Cubs 2 won 3-2 Box Score
0 x
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 75054
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2390
x 3588
Contact:

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Random question but going to the Cougars game tonight. Any idea if there is anyone worth watching on Kane County or Burlington? It doesn’t look like it based on top prospect lists but figured I’d ask.

I miss the days when I could go to a Cougars game and see Schwarber play.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5200
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 287
x 384

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Carson Cistulli wrote:When Short earned the distinction last year of the batter at High-A whose hitting profile most resembled the sort with which Matt Carpenter and Daniel Murphy and Justin Turner have succeeded in the majors, it seemed like a positive indicator for his future, seeing as he complemented that high-contact, low-ground-ball approach with pretty considerable defensive value. In his first exposure to Double-A at the beginning of this year, however, Short did a lot of swinging and missing. An important part of his offensive value had evaporated.

Of late, though, he has more resembled the 2017 version of himself. In 46 plate appearances since the most recent edition of the Five, he’s recorded an equal number of walk and strikeouts while also producing a .189 isolated-power figure. He also once again appears among the top-10 hitters at his level who most resemble Matt Carpenter — in this case, for Double-A...

Supplementing the promising offensive approach is Short’s defensive value. Per Clay Davenport’s methodology, Short has recorded the major-league equivalent of +3 fielding runs at shortstop this year in roughly 100 appearances at the position. That’s about +8 total defensive runs after accounting for the positional adjustment, a mark that would place Short about 20th among all major leaguers by defensive value this season.
1 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44428
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 71
x 1979
Contact:

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

Postby Tim » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:10 am

Allen Webster up to AA today. Worked an inning with two hits, two k's and no runs.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90180
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:40 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Carson Cistulli wrote:When Short earned the distinction last year of the batter at High-A whose hitting profile most resembled the sort with which Matt Carpenter and Daniel Murphy and Justin Turner have succeeded in the majors, it seemed like a positive indicator for his future, seeing as he complemented that high-contact, low-ground-ball approach with pretty considerable defensive value. In his first exposure to Double-A at the beginning of this year, however, Short did a lot of swinging and missing. An important part of his offensive value had evaporated.

Of late, though, he has more resembled the 2017 version of himself. In 46 plate appearances since the most recent edition of the Five, he’s recorded an equal number of walk and strikeouts while also producing a .189 isolated-power figure. He also once again appears among the top-10 hitters at his level who most resemble Matt Carpenter — in this case, for Double-A...

Supplementing the promising offensive approach is Short’s defensive value. Per Clay Davenport’s methodology, Short has recorded the major-league equivalent of +3 fielding runs at shortstop this year in roughly 100 appearances at the position. That’s about +8 total defensive runs after accounting for the positional adjustment, a mark that would place Short about 20th among all major leaguers by defensive value this season.


This has been my problem with Short this season. He went from a guy who - at worst - walked and struck out at about the same rate to someone who strikes out way more than he walks and hasn't had that big a power increase to offset it.
0 x
Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90180
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:50 am

Coghlan hit a home run again today for Iowa. On the 2-year anniversary of the time he called for time, wasn't granted time, stepped back in the box and smacked a 2-run single against the Cardinals.
1 x
Image

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5200
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 287
x 384

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:09 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
Carson Cistulli wrote:When Short earned the distinction last year of the batter at High-A whose hitting profile most resembled the sort with which Matt Carpenter and Daniel Murphy and Justin Turner have succeeded in the majors, it seemed like a positive indicator for his future, seeing as he complemented that high-contact, low-ground-ball approach with pretty considerable defensive value. In his first exposure to Double-A at the beginning of this year, however, Short did a lot of swinging and missing. An important part of his offensive value had evaporated.

Of late, though, he has more resembled the 2017 version of himself. In 46 plate appearances since the most recent edition of the Five, he’s recorded an equal number of walk and strikeouts while also producing a .189 isolated-power figure. He also once again appears among the top-10 hitters at his level who most resemble Matt Carpenter — in this case, for Double-A...

Supplementing the promising offensive approach is Short’s defensive value. Per Clay Davenport’s methodology, Short has recorded the major-league equivalent of +3 fielding runs at shortstop this year in roughly 100 appearances at the position. That’s about +8 total defensive runs after accounting for the positional adjustment, a mark that would place Short about 20th among all major leaguers by defensive value this season.


This has been my problem with Short this season. He went from a guy who - at worst - walked and struck out at about the same rate to someone who strikes out way more than he walks and hasn't had that big a power increase to offset it.


I don’t think he gets enough credit here for hitting like he hits while playing SS.
0 x

craig
All-Star
Posts: 4159
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52 pm
x 42

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

Postby craig » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:42 am

Have you guys gotten any updated scouting info on Keegan Thompson?

His outing drops his AA and composite season ERA's below 3.

Over his last 8 starts, 5 have been shutout outings.
5 earned runs spread out over 8 starts is pretty good work.

Thompson, Rucker, and Swarmer have been in a pretty outstanding collective groove.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21148
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1675
x 2121

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

Postby davell » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:02 am

I think BA said in their midseason update, that Thompson flashes a plus slider and curve. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, they may have mentioned his velo being slightly higher than I had been under the impression it was. He's definitely put himself on the radar. First full year in the minors and he's probably starting next year off in Iowa. Hell of a season.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44428
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 71
x 1979
Contact:

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

Postby Tim » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:28 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:


This has been my problem with Short this season. He went from a guy who - at worst - walked and struck out at about the same rate to someone who strikes out way more than he walks and hasn't had that big a power increase to offset it.


I don’t think he gets enough credit here for hitting like he hits while playing SS.

He was getting a lot of credit over the winter. But his profile has taken a step back this year at AA with all the strikeouts. To be fair, he's made some adjustments over the past couple months to get himself back on track.

He's still the most interesting position prospect in the upper minors. I'm hoping he gets an AFL assignment and mashes like Bote did last year.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90180
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-11-18

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:55 pm

craig wrote:Have you guys gotten any updated scouting info on Keegan Thompson?

His outing drops his AA and composite season ERA's below 3.

Over his last 8 starts, 5 have been shutout outings.
5 earned runs spread out over 8 starts is pretty good work.

Thompson, Rucker, and Swarmer have been in a pretty outstanding collective groove.


As davell mentioned, here’s what BA had on him midseason:

7. Keegan Thompson, RHP
Double-A Tennessee
Age: 23

Thompson has zoomed to Double-A just a year after the Cubs made him their third-round pick out of Auburn. Thompson’s fastball sits in the low 90s, and the Cubs are working with him to add more movement to his two-seam fastball. Both his curveball and slider flash above-average, but need more consistency. The Cubs are focused on getting him to induce more grounders as he moves up the ladder.
0 x
Image


Return to “Minor Leagues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Some Guy and 1 guest