Realistic Trade Targets

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: Realistic Trade Targets

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:11 pm

ScrubMD wrote:Maybe the Yankees think they could fix Chatwood and would be interested in a sucky pitcher swap if we chucked a fistful of hundos at them.

Fangraphs wrote about that around the deadline

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/why-the ... onny-gray/
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:11 pm

ScrubMD wrote:Maybe the Yankees think they could fix Chatwood and would be interested in a sucky pitcher swap if we chucked a fistful of hundos at them.

Outside of Yankee Stadium he was pretty much the pitcher he's always been.
0 x

SRQCub
Starter

Postby SRQCub » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:42 am

With Gregorius needing TJS, wonder if Russell for Gray straight up is worth it?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:52 am

SRQCub wrote:With Gregorius needing TJS, wonder if Russell for Gray straight up is worth it?

That won’t make sense financially if the Cubs are trying to avoid the higher end of the CBT.
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Braves and Padres...possible Rule 5 targets.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:41 pm

d_money wrote:Braves and Padres...possible Rule 5 targets.

its actually rule V
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:49 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
d_money wrote:Braves and Padres...possible Rule 5 targets.

its actually rule V

It's actually Rule Image.
4 x
► Show Spoiler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Anyone else interested in Nick Castellanos? I consider Harper a must but still want to add a good RH bat.

Castellanos plus one or two of their arms (Jimenez, Norris, Greene, Mize, Burrows, Manning) seems like it could end well for the Cubs
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:16 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Anyone else interested in Nick Castellanos? I consider Harper a must but still want to add a good RH bat.

Castellanos plus one of their arms seems like it could end well for the Cubs

Where would he play? He’s atrocious on defense. I suppose we could trade for him and dump him in the middle of Lake Michigan for knocking Braun’s ball over the wall.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:19 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Anyone else interested in Nick Castellanos? I consider Harper a must but still want to add a good RH bat.

Where would he play? He’s atrocious on defense. I suppose we could trade for him and dump him in the middle of Lake Michigan for knocking Braun’s ball over the wall.

Harper - Heyward/Someone - Castellanos
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:24 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

Should add that Castellanos is mostly about adding a RH bat coming off a ~.350 wOBA over the past three years in his 20’s for pretty cheap. Getting him out of the infield full time may help mitigate some of the damage on defense

Frees up Schwarber for a cheap SP, Almora/Happ for a cost controlled reliever, etc
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:34 pm

Without doing any actual looking into this:

It seems to me if there were a guy who could be a late bloomer in the mold of Nelson Cruz or even JD Martinez it would be Castellanos. Former elite HS bat prospect as a SS, premium size for any position at 6’4”, moved around alot on defense as a young player to get his bat in the lineup, not not athletic so much as he’s definitely not a ML 3B, proven to be a quality hitter in the MLs, hitting for more power in recent years, age 27 next year, just moved to the OF full time at 26...
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:36 pm

Castellanos plus one or two of their arms (Jimenez, Norris, Greene, Mize, Burrows, Manning) seems like it could end well for the Cubs

I'd rather do Peralta and Bradley in the diamonback fire sale.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Backtobanks wrote:

I'd rather do Peralta and Bradley in the diamonback fire sale.

Peralta works plenty if they land Machado for SS. I’m assuming Harper for stuff and things
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:30 pm

So my favorite potential trade targets* are probably something like:

Stroman
J. Gray
A. Simmons (would easily be #1 if he weren’t the longshot among longshots on this list)
Castellanos
Realmuto

*Assuming Harper, not including bit or relief players
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:02 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Where would he play? He’s atrocious on defense. I suppose we could trade for him and dump him in the middle of Lake Michigan for knocking Braun’s ball over the wall.

Should add that Castellanos is mostly about adding a RH bat coming off a ~.350 wOBA over the past three years in his 20’s for pretty cheap. Getting him out of the infield full time may help mitigate some of the damage on defense

Frees up Schwarber for a cheap SP, Almora/Happ for a cost controlled reliever, etc

I'm assuming Schwarber or Happ would be needed to trade for Castellanos? I'm not overly against the idea. Schwarber for him makes some sense for both teams.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:56 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

I'm assuming Schwarber or Happ would be needed to trade for Castellanos? I'm not overly against the idea. Schwarber for him makes some sense for both teams.

I’d do* Schwarber for Castellanos and Mize or Manning, not sure about the rest

Note: Probably
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:23 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

in what horsefeathering universe are the detroit tigers trading their 1/1 pick from last year for kyle schwarber
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Get it done Theo
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:58 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I'm assuming Schwarber or Happ would be needed to trade for Castellanos? I'm not overly against the idea. Schwarber for him makes some sense for both teams.

in what horsefeathering universe are the detroit tigers trading their 1/1 pick from last year for kyle schwarber

0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:05 am

Castellanos makes some sense for us. But, he's a pure rental. And as a horrible defender too, I seriously doubt he's costing very much in trade...... Corner guys don't bring that much of a return, in general.

He certainly wouldn't cost Schwarber or Happ.

The problem though, in figuring out potential landing spots for a Schwarber, is aligning his clock, with the acquiring teams clock. Kyle only has 3 years of control himself. So, a team like Detroit probably has little to no interest in him honestly, because their window isn't current or maybe not even for another couple of years......

I think that IF Schwarber gets dealt, it's to Tampa, Oakland, Seattle, Minnesota, Angels, or Texas...... 1) I think they'd trade him to an AL team to maximize value and 2) To a team that figures to think of themselves as competitive now and that may not want or have the funds to spend huge currently.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:52 am

davell wrote:Castellanos makes some sense for us. But, he's a pure rental. And as a horrible defender too, I seriously doubt he's costing very much in trade...... Corner guys don't bring that much of a return, in general.

He certainly wouldn't cost Schwarber or Happ.

The problem though, in figuring out potential landing spots for a Schwarber, is aligning his clock, with the acquiring teams clock. Kyle only has 3 years of control himself. So, a team like Detroit probably has little to no interest in him honestly, because their window isn't current or maybe not even for another couple of years......

I think that IF Schwarber gets dealt, it's to Tampa, Oakland, Seattle, Minnesota, Angels, or Texas...... 1) I think they'd trade him to an AL team to maximize value and 2) To a team that figures to think of themselves as competitive now and that may not want or have the funds to spend huge currently.

Castellanos should be a reasonable resign, if he mashes, due to his defensive value heading into next year.

Agreed on not needing Schwarber/Happ to land Castellanos but also looking for cheap power pitching

Schwarber, like Castellanos except LH with the struggles that naturally come with that, as a bat first corner OF tops should be a relatively reasonable extension candidate. A team trading for him is probably hoping to max his offense and health by reducing defensive responsibilities, some pretty much any AL team would have some interest. I like the match with the Jays, who would probably love to slot him between Bichette and Vlad Jrs in a near future lineup
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:10 am

Castellanos isn’t a free agent till after 2020 unless I’m misreading Cots.

Getting a RH power hitter to offset an all lefty outfield (assuming the Cubs sign Harper) is a great idea, but it would be easier to fill the gaping hole in the middle infield.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:18 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Castellanos isn’t a free agent till after 2020 unless I’m misreading Cots.

Getting a RH power hitter to offset an all lefty outfield (assuming the Cubs sign Harper) is a great idea, but it would be easier to fill the gaping hole in the middle infield.

Hmm, I'm still seeing his last Arb year as 2019.

At any rate, I figure he's a guy that gets 15-20 mill per on the open market. Assuming we do go over the upper end to get one of Bryce or Manny, I honestly don't see us filling in with even more relatively expensive guys. If Schwarber is gone, I'd figure Happ or some other guy we acquire, at well under that type of salary, since up being our answer.......

Hence, why I'm liking a Marwin Gonzalez signing to pair with Bryce. He's probably half the eventual salary of a Castellanos, yet can also play back up SS.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:20 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Castellanos isn’t a free agent till after 2020 unless I’m misreading Cots.

Sign Kipnis after the Indians shockingly buyout his option, replace LaStella with a glove player like Igleisias

Speaking of the Indians...Would Schwarber/Happ/Almora for Triston McKenzie and Lenny Torres be a bad deal for either side?
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”