2020 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: 2020 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon May 18, 2020 6:35 am

I'm actually not sure Bitsko is in my top 5 HS arms. The big thing he gained by reclassifying is he went from 18/19 next year to 17/18 this year, but guys like Ricky Tiedemann and Markevian Hence are also 17 on draft day without the class swap. After his age I think teams will go after his vertical am slot and then maybe his delivery being a little stiff. Maybe my top HS pitchers for this post are:

Mick Abel RHP - Back to being the only HS pitcher I'm begging Gaia to will into the Cubs org at 16? Very possibly

Jared Kelley RHP - I'm mostly willing to be optimistic the breaking ball thing is a grip thing, would suck if it was something like stubby fingers

Masyn Winn RHP - Maybe right with Kelley and has the same basic P setup as Bitsko, throws gas with a curve and change needs reps maybe has more potential than Bitsko's, and is also a serious SS prospect

Jared Jones RHP - Multi-spin RH with velocity and premium athleticism

Dax Fulton LHP - In the mold of curveballing LHs with the Cubs like Marshall and Hill, more Hill, I was optimistic about his command potential before TJ

Ricky Tiedemann LHP - Prototypical size and build, has a shot at throwing 3-4 pitches for strikes, more velocity in the tank hopefully, looked great during the little Spring ball there was up to 93...great pitcher-y sounding name too, yah?

Alex Santos RHP - Showed tools to be a full repertoired guy with command, control, and enough four seam last summer, seems like the kind of guy the Indians take and turn into a horse

Nick Griffin LHP - Might end up throwing hardest of these three lefties, has a slider, tries for four pitches

Markevian Hence RHP - Up to 96 with a high spin curve, change shows potential, could be a 5-6 pitch SP in a probably long amount of time

Logan Austin RHP - Decommited from Auburn to Chipola, reminds me of Seth Lugo/is in the same mold as 4/5 of the previous names as a guy with a good looking breaking ball and enough four seam to keep hitters honest

Nick Bitsko RHP - Big and physical, throws hard and has a curve, still was smart to reclassify, was his coming into rankings hot due to SNTS?

Ryan Bruno LHP - Another 6'3"+ LH with feel for multiple pitches, gets into the 90s

Timmy Manning LHP - Doesn't throw hard, 91, but advanced secondary pitches
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Mon May 18, 2020 7:58 pm

There's obviously no sports right now so forgive the length. I spoilered a lot of the longer discussions.
The addition of Kantrovitz as the Cubs new scouting director adds another wrinkle to evaluating which players they may be prioritizing. I looked at the drafts when he was the scouting director for the Cardinals (2012-2014) and the AGM with the A’s (2015-2019). During his time in Oakland, the A’s described his role on their website
He [was] involved in all aspects of the A’s baseball operations department with a primary focus on overseeing statistical analysis for evaluating and targeting players in the amateur draft, free agent and trade markets.

I factored in the players selected by the A’s as far as traits of players selected.

I’m still diving into it, but a few notes (I primarily looked into pitchers here and will look into position player traits later):
Where players have been selected in the first and supplemental round:
When he ran the Cardinals drafts, his picks were drafted very close to where BA’s and MLB’s had ranked the player. His picks were an average of 3 and a median of 5 spots above where they were ranked by BA and MLB pipeline. For some background, the Cubs’ selections on average were drafted 13 spots (median 6.5) above where BA ranked the player from 2012-2019. It’s not an exact science, but it’s mildly interesting.

Kantrovitz has put a strong emphasis on polish with the selections of college pitching. He drafts from “power programs” (7 of 14 first-round picks) and heavily from Florida. Five of the first-round sections from 2012-2019 and a total of 11 of his top 5 round picks were from Florida.

He really likes polished college pitchers with change-ups.
Three straight drafts featured first-round picks on polished college pitchers who featured a strong change-up: Michael Wacha (2012), Marco Gonzales (2013), and Luke Weaver (2014).
His HS pitching targets also feature an emphasis on change-ups. His teams have drafted HS pitchers five times in the first five rounds from 2012-2019. Everyone features at least an improving change-up. Several pitchers feature plus to plus-plus change-ups.
Rob Kaminsky LHP 5’11” 205 lbs
shows feel for a changeup that projects to be at least average”
“He has a good feel for his changeup”

Jack Flaherty RHP 6’3” 217 lbs
“good feel for four pitches, led by a changeup that projects as plus to plus-plus

Dakota Chalmers RHP 6’3” 175 lbs
“four-pitch arsenal with an improving changeup
“his changeup has made strides to round out his full arsenal.”

Skyler Szynski RHP 6’2” 195 lbs (The lowest praise for change-ups in this group, but the biggest flameout)
“He also shows some aptitude for throwing a changeup, though it can get too firm at times.”

Ian McKinney LHP 5’11” 185
plus changeup, which has fade and good separation from his fastball, as well as a slider and decent curveball”

I think it'd be foolish to not factor in that every organization is going to have their own preferences, but as far as pitchers I'd imagine there will be players targeted who have solid to plus future change-up grades. I went through the top 150 on MLB pipeline and highlighted players who have similar change-up grades to the players above.
Jared Kelley 6’3” 215lbs, Texas commit
“He already owns an advanced changeup with fade and sink, and he's willing to throw it in any count.”

Carson Montgomery RHP 6’2” 200lbs, FSU commit
“He doesn't need his changeup much in high school, but he does show very good feel for it, with some scouts thinking it could eventually develop into his best secondary offering.”

Alex Santos RHP 6’3” 185lbs, Maryland commit
“good feel for a changeup that touches the low-80s”

Ryan Hagenow RHP 6’5” 200lbs, Kentucky commit
“He also has advanced feel for using a changeup with similar velocity as well as some fade and sink”

Ricky Tierdemann LHP 6’4” 200lbs SDSU commit
“He has a really good feel for his changeup, which could be a plus pitch in time”

Chase Hampton RHP 6’3” 210lbs, Texas Tech commit
“His changeup displays some fade and should improve as he uses it more often.”

Timmy Manning LHP 6’2” 175 lbs, Florida commit
“He has good feel for his changeup, and it could be a second plus pitch in time”

Jason Savacool, RHP 6’1” 200lbs, Maryland commit
“also with a circle change as well as a split-fingered changeup with good action to it.”

His time with the A’s was a fairly even mix of “high floor” and “high ceiling”
Richie Martin (2015-floor), AJ Puk (2016-higher floor at least as a reliever), Austin Beck (2017- ceiling), Kyler Murray (2018-ceiling), Logan Davidson (2019-floor).
When players have “fallen” in the draft, Kantrovitz’s teams have often been the team to pick the player. Wacha 19th (BA 8th, MLB 11th), Piscotty 36th (BA 26th, MLB 18th) AJ Puk 6th (1st by BA).
The A’s also drafted Garrett Mitchell in the 14th round in 2017. If he fell in this draft, I would not be surprised to see the Cubs take him.

It was a lot to go through the pitchers so I'll look into position player trends later and combine those for a list of possible draft targets.
7 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:There's obviously no sports right now so forgive the length. I spoilered a lot of the longer discussions.
The addition of Kantrovitz as the Cubs new scouting director adds another wrinkle to evaluating which players they may be prioritizing. I looked at the drafts when he was the scouting director for the Cardinals (2012-2014) and the AGM with the A’s (2015-2019). During his time in Oakland, the A’s described his role on their website
He [was] involved in all aspects of the A’s baseball operations department with a primary focus on overseeing statistical analysis for evaluating and targeting players in the amateur draft, free agent and trade markets.

I factored in the players selected by the A’s as far as traits of players selected.

I’m still diving into it, but a few notes (I primarily looked into pitchers here and will look into position player traits later):
When he ran the Cardinals drafts, his picks were drafted very close to where BA’s and MLB’s had ranked the player. His picks were an average of 3 and a median of 5 spots above where they were ranked by BA and MLB pipeline. For some background, the Cubs’ selections on average were drafted 13 spots (median 6.5) above where BA ranked the player from 2012-2019. It’s not an exact science, but it’s mildly interesting.

Kantrovitz has put a strong emphasis on polish with the selections of college pitching. He drafts from “power programs” (7 of 14 first-round picks) and heavily from Florida. Five of the first-round sections from 2012-2019 and a total of 11 of his top 5 round picks were from Florida.

Three straight drafts featured first-round picks on polished college pitchers who featured a strong change-up: Michael Wacha (2012), Marco Gonzales (2013), and Luke Weaver (2014).
His HS pitching targets also feature an emphasis on change-ups. His teams have drafted HS pitchers five times in the first five rounds from 2012-2019. Everyone features at least an improving change-up. Several pitchers feature plus to plus-plus change-ups.

“good feel for four pitches, led by a changeup that projects as plus to plus-plus

Skyler Szynski RHP 6’2” 195 lbs (The lowest praise for change-ups in this group, but the biggest flameout)
“He also shows some aptitude for throwing a changeup, though it can get too firm at times.”

plus changeup, which has fade and good separation from his fastball, as well as a slider and decent curveball”

I think it'd be foolish to not factor in that every organization is going to have their own preferences, but as far as pitchers I'd imagine there will be players targeted who have solid to plus future change-up grades. I went through the top 150 on MLB pipeline and highlighted players who have similar change-up grades to the players above.
“He already owns an advanced changeup with fade and sink, and he's willing to throw it in any count.”

“He doesn't need his changeup much in high school, but he does show very good feel for it, with some scouts thinking it could eventually develop into his best secondary offering.”

“He also has advanced feel for using a changeup with similar velocity as well as some fade and sink”

“He has a really good feel for his changeup, which could be a plus pitch in time”

“He has good feel for his changeup, and it could be a second plus pitch in time”

“also with a circle change as well as a split-fingered changeup with good action to it.”

Richie Martin (2015-floor), AJ Puk (2016-higher floor at least as a reliever), Austin Beck (2017- ceiling), Kyler Murray (2018-ceiling), Logan Davidson (2019-floor).
When players have “fallen” in the draft, Kantrovitz’s teams have often been the team to pick the player. Wacha 19th (BA 8th, MLB 11th), Piscotty 36th (BA 26th, MLB 18th) AJ Puk 6th (1st by BA).
The A’s also drafted Garrett Mitchell in the 14th round in 2017. If he fell in this draft, I would not be surprised to see the Cubs take him.

It was a lot to go through the pitchers so I'll look into position player trends later and combine those for a list of possible draft targets.

Cool stuff, thanks for taking the time to do this. Look forward to the hitter list and seeing if we can use the pitcher/hitter list to identify some targets for this draft.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:28 pm

From the link Raisin posted in the minors thread regarding Hernandez;

Zac Veen, OF, Spruce Creek HS (Florida). Age: 18

There appears to be some legitimate smoke that Veen might not be as high within organizations as he is throughout the draft industry. While a hypothetical drop could possibly lead to an overslot in real life

1 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon May 18, 2020 11:40 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:There's obviously no sports right now so forgive the length. I spoilered a lot of the longer discussions.

Love it. Thanks!

I was thinking of doing something like this just to see who exactly Kantrovitz picked but the additional info on changeups and draft rankings is fantastic.

I’m not sure how much of his past history we will be able to apply to this year since this draft is so weird but it’s really helpful.

Re: Mitchell, you have to be confident you can work on his swing to help him tap into his power. The Cubs aren’t quite the Dodgers of course but they’re still really good at minor league swing changes (see Nico & Brennen recently) so I’d be excited to see what they can do with him. The defense and speed are a nice bonus with Mitchell if you can get some more power.
1 x

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Tue May 19, 2020 5:21 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Named After Maddux wrote: The A’s also drafted Garrett Mitchell in the 14th round in 2017. If he fell in this draft, I would not be surprised to see the Cubs take him.

Love it. Thanks!

I was thinking of doing something like this just to see who exactly Kantrovitz picked but the additional info on changeups and draft rankings is fantastic.

I’m not sure how much of his past history we will be able to apply to this year since this draft is so weird but it’s really helpful.

Re: Mitchell, you have to be confident you can work on his swing to help him tap into his power. The Cubs aren’t quite the Dodgers of course but they’re still really good at minor league swing changes (see Nico & Brennen recently) so I’d be excited to see what they can do with him. The defense and speed are a nice bonus with Mitchell if you can get some more power.

Thanks! Yeah this year will be even more of a crapshoot. What will be really interesting is the path teams take. Do they shift to reliable college players or do some draft hard-to-sign guys and offer lowball 40-50% of slot value to get a 2021 pick.

Mitchell will be a fascinating case come draft day. If he’s really just falling due to his type 1 diabetes, then I’m even more interested. You’d have to imagine Kantrovitz and company felt comfortable with him health wise to draft him high enough to try to sign him out of his UCLA commit (oh yeah CR, you’ve seen him likely more than anyone here). Mitchell’s tools are pretty impressive and I like the blend of that high ceiling with a pretty decent floor as a speedy, plus defender CF. That’s a great point about the Cubs actually succeeding on swing changes with Nico and Brennen (man that feels like forever ago). Even moderate (15 homer power) would be an enormous upside. I don’t want to get too optimistic he’ll fall. It only takes one team to jump on the upside.

I’m going to look into Kantrovitz’s position player trends, but I still really like the prep group. Zac Veen, Pete Crow-Armstrong, and Robert Hassell would be awesome and I could be convinced on Soderstrom and Ed Howard. Even Jordan Walker is really intriguing.
2 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 19, 2020 10:08 pm

Since we’re talking changeup, this is from BA’s best tools in the draft:

Best Changeup

High School
1. Ben Hernandez
2. Jared Kelley
3. Mick Abel
4. Marquis Grissom Jr.
5. Jared Jones

College
1. Emerson Hancock
2. Jared Shuster
3. Asa Lacy
4. Logan Allen
5. Nick Swiney

Ben Hernandez is a local kid.
2 x

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Tue May 19, 2020 10:58 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Since we’re talking changeup, this is from BA’s best tools in the draft:

Best Changeup

High School
1. Ben Hernandez
2. Jared Kelley
3. Mick Abel
4. Marquis Grissom Jr.
5. Jared Jones

College
1. Emerson Hancock
2. Jared Shuster
3. Asa Lacy
4. Logan Allen
5. Nick Swiney

And this is the first I had seen (I'm sure the reports are out there) about Jared Jones having a top change-up. He and Ben Hernandez are awfully exciting.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 20, 2020 12:07 am

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-two-way-pl ... 2020-draft

Maybe I just didn't check out his MLB.com profile, everyone else there seems to have had that copied and pasted, but the write-up here for Wynn sounds promising:

Masyn Winn, RHP/SS (No. 54)

A legitimate two-way prospect as a short but talented shortstop with a live arm who can deliver upper-90s fastballs on the mound, Winn showcased his all-around ability at the World Wood Bat Association World Championship in October, when he touched 98 mph with his fastball, backed it up with two plus secondary pitches (curveball, changeup) and homered in the same game. Some scouts prefer the Arkansas recruit as a shortstop, viewing him as someone who could become a regular at the position if he can refine his hitting ability from the right side of the plate

I thought he was electric with just the fastball/curve combo, if the change is legit too that is a serious HS P prospect. I even believe in the shot to hit. One knock seems to be that he was sent home early from the PDP tourny last year (the one PCA crushed)

Tanner Witt didn't make that article, glad to see Hassell the pitcher mentioned
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:22 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Since we’re talking changeup, this is from BA’s best tools in the draft:

Best Changeup

High School
1. Ben Hernandez
2. Jared Kelley
3. Mick Abel
4. Marquis Grissom Jr.
5. Jared Jones

College
1. Emerson Hancock
2. Jared Shuster
3. Asa Lacy
4. Logan Allen
5. Nick Swiney

Cubs fan too.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 20, 2020 8:49 pm

Article also says he's worked on his curve as well, has 12/6 shape according to Kevin Gunderson his trainer

Knock some heads and make it happen, Theo!
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:10 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:https://twitter.com/BaseballAmerica/status/1263162571890163712?s=20

Article also says he's worked on his curve as well, has 12/6 shape according to Kevin Gunderson his trainer

Am I the only one that didn't know Mick Abel was not directly related to Kevin Abel?
0 x

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Wed May 20, 2020 11:11 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:https://twitter.com/BaseballAmerica/status/1263162571890163712?s=20

Am I the only one that didn't know Mick Abel was not directly related to Kevin Abel?

I guess I always had just assumed. I literally work at Oregon State and didn’t know that so I’d say you’re off the hook!
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed May 20, 2020 11:19 pm

I just assumed they were brothers and was thinking the Cubs should draft Kevin even if he isn’t completely healthy to get a discount with Mick or ensure his signability.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed May 20, 2020 11:20 pm

16. Cubs: Austin Hendrick, OF, West Allegheny HS (Pa.)
The Pittsburgh area standout has been on radars for some time now, and he has as much bat speed and raw power as any prep hitter in the class.

Hassell, Abel and Soderstrom were unavailable (picked 10, 13 and 15 respectively). Tanner Burns wasn’t picked in this mock. Mitchell went 17, PCA 18 and Howard 27.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 21, 2020 2:22 am

Mayo mocking Patrick Bailey to the White Sox, right after two teams dying for a fast moving catcher who might hit too, is odd.

Seems as if the Cubs are getting profiled in these mocks a little, Soderstrom and Hendrick are the only HS prospects I've seen mocked to them. I really don't see a ton of difference between the imagined offensive potential of Soderstrom, Hendrick, and $2.9 million dollar man Quintero, probably would even say Quintero is the best bat of the bunch right now. Neither is crazy off of Schwarber in upside potential ceiling either. The one one thing I think these mocks nail is that the Cubs will gravitate towards LHH and switch hitters during the draft. That said, if they take a HS corner bat at 16 please be the RHH Jordan Walker!

IF Theo believes in his heart of hearts that Hendrick can play CF THEN it's a different story

Cade Cavalli's been working out with or at the same place as Kohl Franklin, read that somewhere
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu May 21, 2020 5:58 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Mayo mocking Patrick Bailey to the White Sox, right after two teams dying for a fast moving catcher who might hit too, is odd.

Seems as if the Cubs are getting profiled in these mocks a little, Soderstrom and Hendrick are the only HS prospects I've seen mocked to them. I really don't see a ton of difference between the imagined offensive potential of Soderstrom, Hendrick, and $2.9 million dollar man Quintero, probably would even say Quintero is the best bat of the bunch right now. Neither is crazy off of Schwarber in upside potential ceiling either. The one one thing I think these mocks nail is that the Cubs will gravitate towards LHH and switch hitters during the draft. That said, if they take a HS corner bat at 16 please be the RHH Jordan Walker!

IF Theo believes in his heart of hearts that Hendrick can play CF THEN it's a different story

Cade Cavalli's been working out with or at the same place as Kohl Franklin, read that somewhere

BA mocked Hassell to the Cubs last week.

The mocks seem to be giving the Cubs a second tier college arm (like Burns) unless a well-regarded prep bat falls and is available.

Here’s the story where Franklin mentions working out with Cavalli: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox23. ... utType=amp
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 am

I see Hassell in a similar bucket, basically Billy McKinney but a little taller for the models...Most interesting HS hitters at 16 are Crow-Armstrong, Walker, maybe Howard, maybe even Blaze Jordan or even weirder with like Chase Davis or Daniel Susac, maybe even Corey Collins if they're so caught up on L/L catchers...Is Hendrick or Hassell really a better or safer prospect than Daniel Cabrera? If CFers, yes, but otherwise...eeeeh
1 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:I just assumed they were brothers and was thinking the Cubs should draft Kevin even if he isn’t completely healthy to get a discount with Mick or ensure his signability.

This was my thought as well, so I double-checked to make sure they were brothers. Turns out they aren't.

TomtheBombadil wrote:I see Hassell in a similar bucket, basically Billy McKinney but a little taller for the models...Most interesting HS hitters at 16 are Crow-Armstrong, Walker, maybe Howard, maybe even Blaze Jordan or even weirder with like Chase Davis or Daniel Susac, maybe even Corey Collins if they're so caught up on L/L catchers...Is Hendrick or Hassell really a better or safer prospect than Daniel Cabrera? If CFers, yes, but otherwise...eeeeh

That a very good description for the vibe I get from Hassell as a hitter as well. He seems to be better defensively than McKinney was as a prospect, though.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 21, 2020 10:30 pm

https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-cruz-son- ... t-prospect

Nice puff piece on one of my favorite sleepers in this draft and possible 3rd gen MLer, Trei Cruz. I had no idea he was Jose Cruz Jr's son but do remember his dad as a talented switch hitter on the Blue Jays. Jose Cruz Sr. is a Hall of Very Good player and had his jersey retired by the Astros.

Cruz was one of the very best hitters in the CCBL last year, is a 6'2" switch hitter, and was on track to have four solid or better seasons in the NCAA, played mostly SS...Very model friendly player, seems like a relatively safe bet to make the MLs for what that's worth

---

Some sleeper HS bats, maybe one or two go surprisingly high on draft day:

Robby Ashford - 6'4" ball of clay, could be Luis Robert or never hit at all

Owen Caissie - A 6'4" ginger, Canadian LHHing power/speed OFer! There's some Shawn Green in the swing

Daniel Susac - 6'3" switch hitting C with offensive tools

Drew Bowser/Yohandy Morales - Can hit, big frames, not sure where either will end up defensively hopefully, might get knocked for almost being 19 on draft day as R/R guys

Cole Fontenelle - 6'3" switch hitter with a shot at 3B, maybe ends up at 1B, could have the power for either

Eljah Nunez - Compact and twitchy power/speed LHH possible CF prospect

Chase Davis - Nunez but starting at 6'1" 200

Alex Freeland - 6'2" switch hitter with IF defensive tools, maybe a C candidate even

Jack Moss - 6'5" LHH Virginia 1B recruit with hit and power potential

TJ McCants - Another raw, tools, big framed, LHH HS SS at 6'3" to join Werner Blakely
1 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:24 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Robby Ashford - 6'4" ball of clay, could be Luis Robert or never hit at all

I would bet a good bit that Ashford isn't drafted at all in this COVID draft. Big time football recruit.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 23, 2020 8:33 pm

I expect we’ll see a few more of these before this year’s draft, definitely more than in a normal year.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 23, 2020 8:37 pm

Nick Bitsko:

1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 23, 2020 10:13 pm

1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 23, 2020 11:17 pm

The Cubs have never taken advantage of this and might be poor now but this seems like the perfect year to poach some extra draft picks. I bet the Marlins would love to trade theirs away.

Mike: Would any teams that have a competitive balance pick look to trade it in order to save money given the circumstances of this draft? Or are teams barred from making such a transaction at the moment?

Eric A Longenhagen: good question. Maybe they would for the right asset/player? If it’s an effort to save money (remember draft bonuses aren’t paid immediately this year, they’re deferred) then it’d have to be a very low-paid player or slot money or something. Seems unlikely

Okay, I’m done spamming this thread.
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”