South Bend won 5-1 Box Score

DSL Cubs 1 won 6-3 Box Score

DSL Cubs 2 won 6-5 Box Score
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 6-13-19

Postby Tryptamine » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Well this is about as exciting a pitching day as the farm has had in a very long time.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Tryptamine wrote:Well this is about as exciting a pitching day as the farm has had in a very long time.

Indeed, sir. Alzolay, Miller and Marquez should be fun to watch. And TBD might be the best guy they have in Myrtle Beach, too.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Speaking of Myrtle Beach, what the hell is up with Alex Lange?

He starts out with 4 terrible games in April: 9 IP, 27 H, 7 BB, 10 K, 21.00 ERA, 3.78 WHIP (.600 babip)

He then throws a no-hit, shutout thru 5 innings walking 4 and striking out 7.

Then it's 4 more bad starts in a row for the rest of May: 20.2 IP, 21 H, 12 BB, 18 Ks, 6.10 ERA, 1.89 WHIP (.290 babip)

And now, over his last 2 starts: 13 IP, 9 H, 3 BB, 16 K, 2.77 ERA, 0.92 WHIP (.258 babip)

Is he just that inconsistent? Are the Cubs asking him to work on certain pitches in his bad games? Is he just getting lucky in his good starts? Was he just terribly unlucky in April? I don't know what to make of him.

In watching Albertos' last appearance, the announcers said he wasn't throwing his plus change up as much because he's trying to work on FB command. How prevalent is that technique? Do the Cubs routinely restrict a pitcher from throwing their best pitch in order to work on their weaknesses, and then say "okay, go get 'em in this start" to see where you're at? I mean it sounds like something they would do. I'm sure lots of teams would do that, but does that explain what is happening with Lange?

I'm at a loss with this guy...
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:56 pm

I can't breakdown what a pitcher is doing in his delivery, but watching Albertos last night, it seemed clear to me that it's all release point with this guy. He's a lot closer to finding it consistently than he was a year ago for sure, but he still struggles to maintain it. Once/If he ever gets consistent with it, look out, though. The stuff that prospect experts found so exciting 18 months earlier is still there.

His curve ball seems different from what it was earlier in Eugene. This thing is like a wiffle ball. I don't know whether that's good or bad, but it's dives and breaks are impressive. He throws what looks like a 2-seamer with arm side run at 91-92 and a straighter, 4-seamer at 94-95 which he is able to keep low in the zone and get ground balls off of. The change up is still plus and, according to the South Bend announcers, the reason why the Cubs signed him.

He often seemed to be releasing the ball late, be it with his wiffle curve which would sail wildly into the left handed batter's box or with his two-seamer which would miss buy 6-8 inches causing the catcher to lurch to his right. Sometimes he'd even bounce it. Less often he would miss inside with some pitches to right-handed batters.

But when his release point was right, this guy looked good. Really good. That wiffle curve would start at the right-handed batter's head and break down and in for a strike. For lefties, it looked way high and outside and then they'd swing at the last minute with the ball breaking in at their ankles. His curve isn't hard to identify, but it seemed almost impossible to hit. He embarrassed a lot of hitters with it last night. If he gets his release point cemented in and can throw it for strikes, that's a helluva pitch going forward.

A consistent release point would obviously help all his pitches. His 2-seamer would start off the plate and then catch the outside corner more regularly. The great action on his change would wind up in the zone more often. He'd have an impressive 4-pitch arsenal going forward, but it all hinges on continued improvement in that one area.

He's remade his wind up. That seems to have allowed him to narrow his release point to where he's not incredibly wild. He looks a lot more comfortable and confident as a result. Now it's the fine tuning. He's 20. He's got time. Can he do it? If he does, he may be right back up to where he was. The best pitching prospect in the Cubs organization.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Albertos gave an interview, excellent English btw, and stated the fasball was the pitch of emphasis this year/his best pitch. I don’t necessarily believe it’s his best long term pitch given how his offspeeds have flashed in the pros, but at this stage it makes total sense for the org to have him just honing the fastball with his new more relaxed delivery...The whole plan with Albertos this year seems to be about loosening him up physically and mentally

Another way to look at Lange since the first four starts is that he has 41 Ks, 30 Hs, 4 HRs in his last 38 and change IP. Still uninspiring, something like a ~3.95 FIP, but way better than he started. The 51 Ks and 4 HRs in 47.1 total IP isn’t half bad either. As a first round pick repeating High A he loses alot of benefit of the doubt, but also as a healthy armed first round pick with such a meaty background only in his second full pro season he built himself some wiggle room coming in. I with a bias still lean he’s just off the beaten path and remain interested until he flames out
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Colin Rea now listed as the starter for Iowa. Boo.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:00 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:Colin Rea now listed as the starter for Iowa. Boo.

I was moderately excited but then I checked and Adbert is listed as the probable starter tomorrow.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:54 am

2/4 with a SB (#8) for Ademan, 0/2 with 2 BBs and a for Brennen Davis

——

Luis Vazquez was taken off the Iowa roster after Monday’s game. Tmrrw Eugene opens up so we’ll find out who the starting SS is between he and Verdugo
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Return to “Minor Leagues”