Bears at Rams SNF on NBC 7:20 PM

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: Bears at Rams SNF on NBC 7:20 PM

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:38 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:[
If they manage to go on a 2020 playoff run with Mitch as Qb, odds are he'd have significantly improved. Pace and Nagy would have a lot of data points on Mitch by then and can make the decision about the contract. It's their future they are playing with at that point, and they could still decide to go QB in the draft.

The bold I actually don't get, given the first part. If they go on a run, they're looking at a mid 20's or worse pick. So not exactly prime QB drafting territory. And in fact, if you look at the 2 seconds they have this year, pretty comparable overall value.

I actually like a few of the QBs who could make it to the 2nd round this year, FWIW. Though Tua's injury could throw a wrench in that landscape if enough QB needy teams target the position in Round 1 and push those guys up.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:12 am

Gonna be an interesting offseason. Obviously the 2018 coach of the year and one of the top executives of the year aren't going anywhere.....so the hot take artists on Twitter can stop with that. But I do think they will feel a TON of pressure this offseason. Not necessarily from the fans, or ownership putting them on the proverbial hot seat, but I think they will feel pressure of the window closing.

I think the plan right now is to let Pace & Nagy pick a QB together, but if they have another dismal season....I don't know that either would feel very safe going into 2021.

It sucks, because Mitch seems like a good kid. He's talented, likable and humble; but I feel like they have to move on from him. While his contract is guaranteed, I think they could potentially trade him or just straight up cut him. Because to have Mitch on the roster, means to be OK with him if he has to play. To be OK with him playing, means you probably don't have a clearly better option. To not have a clearly better option, means you potentially could have another dismal season.

I HATE the thought of trading a high pick for a QB and paying said QB, over 20Mil. Foles? Owed big money, would likely require one of those 2nds to the Jags. Not interested. Newton? Owed 21Mil. Wouldn't necessarily cost a 2nd, but who knows if his body can even hold up. Not interested. Alex Smith? Maybe he's cut which would make him more desirable, but again can his body hold up? Not interested.

Free agency you have guys that have been benched now or should be like Dalton, Winston, Eli, Keenum? Are any of them guaranteed to be better than Trubisky was in 2018? Don't know if it's worth the money to find out. Brady, Brees, Rivers, and Dak aren't going anywhere.

The best options i see are that maybe Mariota takes a 1-year deal to play for Helfrich (if he's still around after this year) and potentially earn a big payday. Teddy Bridgewater is a good long-term option. He's looked good in limited action since his injury, and was a pretty highly regarded prospect before that. Both of these options would potentiallly mean weakening the all around roster that Pace has been building for 4 years, as they'd require a decent amount of money along with likely paying at least some of Trubisky's salary.. They'd stand to lose a lot of talent and don't have the draft picks necessary to replace them right away.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:08 am

I feel like if Nagy is involved in picking the next attempt at a franchise QB, he'll turn it into some weird sideshow where he comes up with convoluted ways to measure who is the exact opposite of Trubisky in every way.

Mariota is the Ian Stewart of QBs. But I'd be fine with that. Anything that doesn't commit resources past 2020 is fine.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:15 am

rawaction wrote:Gonna be an interesting offseason. Obviously the 2018 coach of the year and one of the top executives of the year aren't going anywhere.....so the hot take artists on Twitter can stop with that. But I do think they will feel a TON of pressure this offseason. Not necessarily from the fans, or ownership putting them on the proverbial hot seat, but I think they will feel pressure of the window closing.

I think the plan right now is to let Pace & Nagy pick a QB together, but if they have another dismal season....I don't know that either would feel very safe going into 2021.

It sucks, because Mitch seems like a good kid. He's talented, likable and humble; but I feel like they have to move on from him. While his contract is guaranteed, I think they could potentially trade him or just straight up cut him. Because to have Mitch on the roster, means to be OK with him if he has to play. To be OK with him playing, means you probably don't have a clearly better option. To not have a clearly better option, means you potentially could have another dismal season.

I HATE the thought of trading a high pick for a QB and paying said QB, over 20Mil. Foles? Owed big money, would likely require one of those 2nds to the Jags. Not interested. Newton? Owed 21Mil. Wouldn't necessarily cost a 2nd, but who knows if his body can even hold up. Not interested. Alex Smith? Maybe he's cut which would make him more desirable, but again can his body hold up? Not interested.

Free agency you have guys that have been benched now or should be like Dalton, Winston, Eli, Keenum? Are any of them guaranteed to be better than Trubisky was in 2018? Don't know if it's worth the money to find out. Brady, Brees, Rivers, and Dak aren't going anywhere.

The best options i see are that maybe Mariota takes a 1-year deal to play for Helfrich (if he's still around after this year) and potentially earn a big payday. Teddy Bridgewater is a good long-term option. He's looked good in limited action since his injury, and was a pretty highly regarded prospect before that. Both of these options would potentiallly mean weakening the all around roster that Pace has been building for 4 years, as they'd require a decent amount of money along with likely paying at least some of Trubisky's salary.. They'd stand to lose a lot of talent and don't have the draft picks necessary to replace them right away.

I'm not convinced Mariota will cost a lot. I could see him going in the low double digits range, which would be tight, but manageable. OTOH I'm really not convinced on Mariota, either. Definitely don't want to see them give up draft capital to trade for any of the guys listed.

Of all those guys listed, I don't think all of them are going to go for big money... someone will be left standing available for Chase Daniel type money or less... who knows which one it will be, and Pace probably won't be in the position where he wants to just wait out the market and not get his top guy.

Honestly, while really risky considering that closing window, I think the best bet is to double down on the strategy of cheap QB spending and put every cap resource elsewhere. Get some competition for Mitch, but don't hinder upgrades elsewhere to try and improve the QB room with an expensive vet. Bring in a youngish guy coming out of a rookie or second contract who has some backup experience and has some skills to work with but may still fit in that sub $5m range. Hopefully use one of your seconds on a QB you like, or worst case the 4th round comp pick. Bring in a couple UDFAs. If anyone flashes in the XFL, bring them into the rookie minicamp. Sign Bray to non-guaranteed deal for camp. Post-draft if you don't end up with a 2nd or 4th rounder you REALLY like, bring in whatever vet QB you can at that point (thinking a Fitzpatrick type in that 3-4M range) But basically plan on a 3 QB roster with Mitch + cheap vet competition + 2nd round pick.

Spend a chunk of the cap space on a move TE and interior swing OL guy. Spend a pick on a OT. Cut Floyd's non-guaranteed deal and put that back into the FA market for a front 7 upgrade (Clowney as the #1 choice, on a backloaded deal). Do whatever back-oaded contract shenanigans you have to to fit Dix back into the S room on a multi-year deal. You may need to cut some of the waste in the WR room with either Gabriel or Patterson and do your best to fill it on the cheap (Wims. Ridley, your tables are ready). May even need to look at some roster bonus conversions. Looks like Whitehair may have some convertible cap- Massie and Burton look like they do, but those would be riskier conversions since they'll be such prime cut candidates in 2021, and converting cap kills that.

So basically ~ 21M in cap after cutting Long. Cut Floyd (13) and Gabriel (4.5) and you're at about 39M.
~5-7M on the QB room
~5-7M on a TE
~2-4M on decent swing lineman?
About 20-21M left for backloading some D deals on a Floyd replacement, retaining/replacing Clinton-Dix, replacing Trevathan (hopefully White Nick continues to flash and signs relatively cheap), the draft class, and low/minimum signings.... again some of the other cap manuevers mentioned will need to come into play. Might have to put some high protection 2nd round tneders their few RFA who are actually good depth guys.
(There are 3 really big cut candidates based on pure cap saving, but I don't think any would be worth it - Robinson, Fuller, Amukamara, all would save nearly 8-10M each. Shaheen at 1.2M is an easy, albeit small savings cut. Plow that right back into a low-end blocking TE as a 1:1 trade-off probably).
With all the backloaded deals mentioned, 2021 will be big reset with some more obvious dead weight contracts available to cut or not re-sign, but will need to see production from some of the younger guys currently on the roster who can bridge into 2022/23. Also the silver lining with a crappy Mitch, and if you don't spend big on a averag-ish QB like Bridgewater, you can keep on keeping the QB room pretty cheap.

Draft;
2nd ; QB (Hurts or Eason, but I could see them both move up unfortunately)
2nd ; OT or CB (eventual Amukamara/Fuller replacements needed)
4th ; OT or CB - possible QB if no 2nd round pick
5th ; OL, S, LB, RB depth
5th* ; OL, S, LB, RB depth
5th/6th** ; OL, S, LB, RB, CB, WR depth
6th; OL, S, LB, RB, CB, WR depth
7th ; OL, S, LB, RB, CB, WR depth

*Possible conditional pick from Mack trade, unconfirmed
**Conditional pick for Howard, details unknown

Could possibly get another comp pick for 2021 depending on how that FA group works out (Trevathan, Clinton-Dix, Bush, Lynch, Daniel, Black Nick, White Nick all could be comp pick losses). Obviously they'll keep a few, plus sign some FA who offset those, but they could get one if they don't spread the limited money around too much and instead go for one or two big signings and then fill in the rest with guys who don't offset the comp formula. I think 2021 they'll just be down a late pick for Pinerio, but otherwise be intact with picks.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:22 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I feel like if Nagy is involved in picking the next attempt at a franchise QB, he'll turn it into some weird sideshow where he comes up with convoluted ways to measure who is the exact opposite of Trubisky in every way.

They'll try to find the Mahomes-iest pick they can, but just end up with some Air Raid guy with a lots a confidence but 1/3 the arm talent.
2 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:14 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
gflore34 wrote:It's got to a new QB in 2020, with Mitch as the backup, 3rd string whatever. Because what if Nagy, or someone else, finally figures out how to utilize Mitch' strengths, the Bears have a good 2020, make the playoffs. etc......

what?

I think he's worried if the Bears turn it around with Mitch they'll give him a dumb extension.

Exactly, when I re-read it didn't make sense to me either, should he show signs of moderate improvement in 2020, do not want the Bears fooled into giving him a financially crippling extension.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:38 pm

gflore34 wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
what?

I think he's worried if the Bears turn it around with Mitch they'll give him a dumb extension.

Exactly, when I re-read it didn't make sense to me either, should he show signs of moderate improvement in 2020, do not want the Bears fooled into giving him a financially crippling extension.

If he shows only moderate signs of improvement the team won't be that much better and I would expect them not to give him an extension.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:38 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I feel like if Nagy is involved in picking the next attempt at a franchise QB, he'll turn it into some weird sideshow where he comes up with convoluted ways to measure who is the exact opposite of Trubisky in every way.

They'll try to find the Mahomes-iest pick they can, but just end up with some Air Raid guy with a lots a confidence but 1/3 the arm talent.

A guy confident QB with a lesser arm is still an improvement over Mitch, no?
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:43 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:I think he's worried if the Bears turn it around with Mitch they'll give him a dumb extension.

If he shows only moderate signs of improvement the team won't be that much better and I would expect them not to give him an extension.

Logically your statement is correct however, we're talking about Pace, who invested so much in Mitch, don't you think he'd find any excuse to re-up. Rather, than finally admit his mistake and move on?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:49 pm

gflore34 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
gflore34 wrote:

Logically your statement is correct however, we're talking about Pace, who invested so much in Mitch, don't you think he'd find any excuse to re-up. Rather, than finally admit his mistake and move on?

Would need to check his conviction-o-meter
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:51 pm

gflore34 wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

A guy confident QB with a lesser arm is still an improvement over Mitch, no?

I present Baker Mayfield.

Maybe it's a Minshew who might also be a junky QB despite the hot start.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:52 pm

gflore34 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
gflore34 wrote:

No.

I think he'd love to see Mitch take a leap and he'd extend him with glee. But if Mitch struggles I think he'd be ready to move on, just like he was with Kevin White.

I don't want to be in the I hope they don't make the playoffs and fool them business. If Mitch plays well enough to bring them back into the playoffs next year, great. He almost certainly will not, but great anyway.

To expand on this a bit, there is no doubt in my mind that Nagy is frustrated with Mitch. I cannot imagine a still frustrated Nagy signing on to a Mitch extension if Mitch isn't much better. Nagy would probably love to draft his guy, with Pace, and start fresh if they get that opportunity.

I also don't think ownership would be the least bit disappointed if Pace/Nagy told them they decided not to spend $100+ million on a Mitch extension and think they'd be better off drafting somebody new.
Last edited by jersey cubs fan on Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:52 pm

if Mitch improves to the point that he gets in line for an extension, he will have played very well. I don't think Pace and CO are going to extend him if he's just so-so.
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:00 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:if Mitch improves to the point that he gets in line for an extension, he will have played very well. I don't think Pace and CO are going to extend him if he's just so-so.

Check out my last post on the previous page. How do you think Pace handles that hypothetical?
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:59 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:if Mitch improves to the point that he gets in line for an extension, he will have played very well. I don't think Pace and CO are going to extend him if he's just so-so.

Check out my last post on the previous page. How do you think Pace handles that hypothetical?

a 99 passer rating and nearly 4000 yards would likely be an extension. That's not Aaron Rodgers level, but its good and a deal that doesn't cripple the Bears financially wont stop them from also drafting another QB if they want. That's what I would hope they do. If the concern is that Pace will inflate his chest, yell "I told you so" and bump Mitch up to top 3 status for QB salary, no thanks.

fwiw, If I thought Mitch was going to put up those numbers consistently, I'd sign him long term tomorrow. You can win with a QB playing at that level.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:10 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

a 99 passer rating and nearly 4000 yards would likely be an extension. That's not Aaron Rodgers level, but its good and a deal that doesn't cripple the Bears financially wont stop them from also drafting another QB if they want. That's what I would hope they do. If the concern is that Pace will inflate his chest, yell "I told you so" and bump Mitch up to top 3 status for QB salary, no thanks.

fwiw, If I thought Mitch was going to put up those numbers consistently, I'd sign him long term tomorrow. You can win with a QB playing at that level.

But consistency would be the huge question mark. You'd have two total crap years and two nice years but not even top 10 type years. And coming off a season like that, if it's not a top 3 extension it would probably be at least top 5 with a significant guaranteed deal.

If he didn't become consistent then, the those first few extension years become rough to build around.

Luckily I think the hypothetical is very optimistic. More likely would be what happens if Mitch is the QB next year and settles into a high 80s low 90s type passer but you still haven't drafted his replacement. Is there a shorter term deal you can sign him to to bridge until you draft and develop a replacement? Or he's a low 80s type passer again and maybe the D will regress and you sneak tank for Lawrence.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Check out my last post on the previous page. How do you think Pace handles that hypothetical?

But consistency would be the huge question mark. You'd have two total crap years and two nice years but not even top 10 type years. And coming off a season like that, if it's not a top 3 extension it would probably be at least top 5 with a significant guaranteed deal.

If he didn't become consistent then, the those first few extension years become rough to build around.

Luckily I think the hypothetical is very optimistic. More likely would be what happens if Mitch is the QB next year and settles into a high 80s low 90s type passer but you still haven't drafted his replacement. Is there a shorter term deal you can sign him to to bridge until you draft and develop a replacement? Or he's a low 80s type passer again and maybe the D will regress and you sneak tank for Lawrence.

consistency is a question if nothing else changes, but, say the o-line goes through a positive makeover and his numbers bounce upwards, I think you can take the numbers as reliable. Right now, his regression is likely #1)him and/or #2) environmental issues. Outside of Mitch, the o-line looks like the typical suspect, dropped passes the second most likely suspect. Fix #2), and you probably get an accurate read on #1). If its a big increase in play, there you go. If its not, then he's horsefeathers. That's how I would approach this off season since you are stuck with Mitch next year anyway.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Was thinking of what could come out of Nagy...

True or False:
Jason Garrett is Matt Nagy's upper ceiling as a coach.

Garrett was a young up and coming offensive coach who's teams were pretty average (0.500 record, 2 15th ranked scoring Os) his first two years, with a pretty good QB in Romo running things, to boot.

Before his third full season he gave up the play calling reigns and now is the only O heas coach I can think of who doesn't regularly call his own plays (Reid has given up play calling to mix it up before, but regularly still calls plays). Since he handed over play calling duties they are 62-44 and have had 4 top 5 scoring offenses, including this year so far. They were division Champs 3 times as well and are on pace for a 4th in 2019. But they've also failed to make it past the divisional round.

I bring this up since Nagy seems so awful as a play caller. Could he give up the reigns to that and be an effective head coach or not? I tend to say no, but was looking for examples, which is why I came up with Garret. The lack of playoff success aside, 3 or 4 division Champs in 6 years would be something the Bears haven't seen since, what the 80s? Would you be pleased with that outcome 5 or 6 years from now?
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:29 pm

The Bears have too much talent to tank. They've gone over 300 yards 1 time in 10 games and have had a chance in the final 3 minutes in all but the Saints game. The problem with competition for Trubisky is that "competition" isn't good enough. You need a guy better than Trubisky, and probably clearly. Otherwise the alternative is Trubisky either winning the job or that guy getting hurt and Trubisky inheriting the job. Even if he plays like last year, we saw that wasn't good enough to be a real contender, and it's even less effective now as the defense isn't as dominant as it was back then.

And I don't think Pace and Nagy want to deal with even the possibility of having this season happen again.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:32 pm

rawaction wrote: Even if he plays like last year, we saw that wasn't good enough to be a real contender, and it's even less effective now as the defense isn't as dominant as it was back then.

The Bears were a real contender last year.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:32 pm

I've never looked that closely at Garret since he hasn't had the playoff success, but they play in arguably the weakest division in the NFC. If Aaron Rodgers decide to hang up his cleats and move on to wine making, maybe Nagy surpasses Garret, but he has a ways to go to learn situational play calling to be sure. It also doesn't help he gets tanked by QB regression and cursed PK's. if Parkey hits that FG last year in the playoffs, Nagy might already be at Garrets presumed plateau.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 pm

Nagy leaves a lot to be desired but I don't see why he can't improve at the job.

Bad QB, bad offensive line and impactless running backs are a tough thing to succeed with. People criticize them for not running up the middle enough when they can't gain a yard to save their lives.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:36 pm

rawaction wrote:The Bears have too much talent to tank. They've gone over 300 yards 1 time in 10 games and have had a chance in the final 3 minutes in all but the Saints game. The problem with competition for Trubisky is that "competition" isn't good enough. You need a guy better than Trubisky, and probably clearly. Otherwise the alternative is Trubisky either winning the job or that guy getting hurt and Trubisky inheriting the job. Even if he plays like last year, we saw that wasn't good enough to be a real contender, and it's even less effective now as the defense isn't as dominant as it was back then.

And I don't think Pace and Nagy want to deal with even the possibility of having this season happen again.

I'm not sure what your conclusion is, keep Mitch or ditch mitch? I think unless you are in love with a QB that drops to you in the second round this draft, you have to use those picks to revamp the o-line.Even if Mitch continues to tank you at least have the building blocks to surround the QB who takes over after Mitch leaves, HC and GM be damned. Reaching for a QB in this draft would be a huge mistake.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Nagy leaves a lot to be desired but I don't see why he can't improve at the job.

Bad QB, bad offensive line and impactless running backs are a tough thing to succeed with. People criticize them for not running up the middle enough when they can't gain a yard to save their lives.

yes, but running Cohen between the tackles doesnt help either, and thats all Nagy
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:45 pm

rawaction wrote:The Bears have too much talent to tank. They've gone over 300 yards 1 time in 10 games and have had a chance in the final 3 minutes in all but the Saints game. The problem with competition for Trubisky is that "competition" isn't good enough. You need a guy better than Trubisky, and probably clearly. Otherwise the alternative is Trubisky either winning the job or that guy getting hurt and Trubisky inheriting the job. Even if he plays like last year, we saw that wasn't good enough to be a real contender, and it's even less effective now as the defense isn't as dominant as it was back then.

The 2018 Bears had too much talent to tank. The 2020 Bears? Eh.

I generally don't believe in intentional tanking. If you're bad enough to need it, it takes care of itself. The Bears have a pretty good chance of taking care of it themselves.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”