2020 Offseason Prospect Rankings

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

2020 Offseason Prospect Rankings

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:24 pm

The infamous CBS Sports Top 50 Prospects came out first. I'm posting it because I like the writer, RJ Anderson, for putting this out and maybe even the site a little for trying and being free which is a really good look by itself. Anyway, Hoerner's the only Cub to make the list and it's a really fair writeup:

49. Nico Hoerner, SS, Cubs

Much of the top of the Cubs system is filled with players who are risk-reward types -- or who have boom-bust profiles. Nico Hoerner, who has already experienced life in the majors, is an exception in a sense, and what he lacks in ceiling he makes up for in immediate availability. There is perhaps more potential downside than realized, however. Hoerner, Chicago's first-round pick in 2018 by way of Stanford, more than held his own in Double-A this season despite dealing with injury and relative inexperience. Even when he was called up to the majors late in the year -- the rare "break glass in case of emergency" promotion after Javier Baez, Addison Russell, and Dixon Machado all went on the shelf -- he hit .282/.305/.436 in 20 games. Those marks may not be far off from his norm. Hoerner's hit tool is his best offensive attribute and there's a chance it plays as plus. There's also a chance -- due to an aggressive approach and gap power -- that it underperforms, or that he posts an empty average, in which case his bat might be too light to start everyday. For now, that's to be seen. To Hoerner's credit, he receives high marks for his intelligent and instincts, and that bodes well for him making the necessary adjustments as required. Provided Baez remains in town as the shortstop, Hoerner ought to be just fine defensively at second base, giving the Cubs one of the savviest double-play combinations in the game.

BA should be putting out their Cubs top 10 this week, NL Central's up
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Re: 2020 Offseason Prospect Rankings

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:13 pm

Gorman at 24, ahead of guys with the same skill set and a better track record like Vaughn. You would think at some point he'd actually have to perform, but he keeps climbing despite not posting anything higher than a .792OPS since rookie ball. On the flip side, I still think Carlson is underrated at 22.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:26 pm

Missed adding the link:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/top- ... ng-talent/

Pache at 9 and Pearson at 15 are the two standout nopes for me. Pache's bat is too weird and Pearson hasn't thrown enough innings for me to get on the wagon. OTOH teams really seem to be valuing CF defense this offseason, Bradley Jr's situation in Boston might drop some hints if that's true. Logan Gilbert should be way higher, probably over Manning who's also really good. I'd probably go Kopech, Gilbert, Patino, Anderson, Manning, Whitley, Howard, Rodriguez, and Baz among RHSP prospects right now. DL Hall should be in there too. Also not enough Isaac Paredes possibly for real
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:36 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Missed adding the link:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/top- ... ng-talent/

Pache at 9 and Pearson at 15 are the two standout nopes for me. Pache's bat is too weird and Pearson hasn't thrown enough innings for me to get on the wagon. OTOH teams really seem to be valuing CF defense this offseason, Bradley Jr's situation in Boston might drop some hints if that's true. Logan Gilbert should be way higher, probably over Manning who's also really good. I'd probably go Kopech, Gilbert, Patino, Anderson, Manning, Whitley, Howard, Rodriguez, and Baz among RHSP prospects right now. DL Hall should be in there too. Also not enough Isaac Paredes possibly for real

8 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Return to “Minor Leagues”