Offseason Top Prospect Lists

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Offseason Top Prospect Lists

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:52 pm

BA has their Cubs' top 10 list coming out on 12/2. BP has theirs coming out on 1/7.

We usually have a specific thread each year so let's try to toss all of them in here.
2 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Re: Offseason Top Prospect Lists

Postby Regular Show » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:21 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA has their Cubs' top 10 list coming out on 12/2. BP has theirs coming out on 1/7.

We usually have a specific thread each year so let's try to toss all of them in here.

I also believe the Cubs' prospect list for Fangraphs will be published in January. Bill Mitchell does the Cubs list for BA right?
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:37 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/chic ... act-later/

They only go five deep: Hoerner, Amaya, Davis, Marquez, Alzolay with Garcia, Giambrone, Riley Thompson, and Aramis Ademan getting generally positive mentions and Brendon Little as the faller

Same writeup on Hoerner as was in their top 50 from the other thread, where he ranked in the low 40s (42?) IIRC

Props for tempered analysis and no pay wall, keep it upupup
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:32 pm

I don't have a BA sub so here's their 2023 Cubs lineup:

Catcher: Willson Contreras (31)
First Base: Anthony Rizzo (33)
Second Base: Nico Hoerner (26)
Third Base: Kris Bryant (31)
Shortstop: Javier Baez (30)
Left Field: Kyle Schwarber (30)
Center Field: Albert Amora (29)
Right Field: Brennen Davis (23)

No. 1 Starter: Yu Darvish (36)
No. 2 Starter: Brailyn Marquez (24)
No. 3 Starter: Kyle Hendricks (33)
No. 4 Starter: Riley Thompson (26)
No. 5 Starter: Corby Abbott (27)
Closer: Ryan Jensen (25)

They lost me at Almora still in CF even as I'm warming up to the idea of keeping nearly everyone (buzz off Russell)....Interesting no Amaya there I guess, 2020's pretty make or break for that IFA class' star power so g'luck

0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:54 pm

The Future Lineup thing has always been a just-for-fun don't think too hard about it sort of thing. That being said given that my complaint about them the past few years has been sloppiness, it's not super reassuring that they have a bunch of guys who will have long-since been FAs on there.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Seems like Marquez got BA's top spot...Third different #1 guy for the Cubs over the past 3 years, neither of the previous two lost to graduation
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm

1. Brailyn Márquez
2. Nico Hoerner
3. Brennen Davis
4. Miguel Amaya
5. Chase Strumpf
6. Cole Roederer
7. Ryan Jensen
8. Ethan Hearn
9. Riley Thompson
10. Cory Abbott

They dropped a 60 FV on Brailyn. Considering how consistently they rated Hoerner in the top 50 all season, it’s reasonable to expect BA will have two Cubs in their top 50 with Brailyn on the fast track for top 20 midseason if he can stay healthy.
3 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Somehow the most interesting ranking on that list for me is Ethan Hearn and in a good way. I like Abbott getting some love, Strumpf's power I assume got him into the top 5

BA giving Marquez an 80(!) grade fastball?:

1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:35 am

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... ssion=true

Basically runs down the top 10 and points out that 8 of them haven't played above A ball
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:59 am

Best Hitter for Average: Nico Hoerner
Best Power Hitter: Brennen Davis
Best Strike-Zone Discipline: Nico Hoerner
Fastest Baserunner: Edmond Americaan
Best Athlete: Brennen Davis
Best Fastball: Brailyn Marquez
Best Curveball: Jack Patterson
Best Slider: Cory Abbott
Best Changeup: Kohl Franklin
Best Control: Tyson Miller
Best Defensive Catcher: Miguel Amaya
Best Defensive Infielder: Nico Hoerner
Best Infield Arm: Luis Verdugo
Best Defensive Outfielder: Brennen Davis
Best Outfield Arm: Eddy Martinez
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:39 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:1. Brailyn Márquez
2. Nico Hoerner
3. Brennen Davis
4. Miguel Amaya
5. Chase Strumpf
6. Cole Roederer
7. Ryan Jensen
8. Ethan Hearn
9. Riley Thompson
10. Cory Abbott

They dropped a 60 FV on Brailyn. Considering how consistently they rated Hoerner in the top 50 all season, it’s reasonable to expect BA will have two Cubs in their top 50 with Brailyn on the fast track for top 20 midseason if he can stay healthy.

Gotta like Brailyn gettin some likely top 50 love. I sure hope Ethan Hearn lives up to that ranking.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on whether Riley Thompson is a better prospect than Kohl Franklin. I go back and forth between those two.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:49 pm

CubsWin wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:1. Brailyn Márquez
2. Nico Hoerner
3. Brennen Davis
4. Miguel Amaya
5. Chase Strumpf
6. Cole Roederer
7. Ryan Jensen
8. Ethan Hearn
9. Riley Thompson
10. Cory Abbott

Gotta like Brailyn gettin some likely top 50 love. I sure hope Ethan Hearn lives up to that ranking.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on whether Riley Thompson is a better prospect than Kohl Franklin. I go back and forth between those two.

I prefer Franklin due to the changeup, the improving velocity, and the lack of a prior arm surgery.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm

https://www.prospectslive.com/lists/202 ... -prospects

Their top 10:

Amaya
Davis - I like this one 1-2
Hoerner
Marquez
Alzolay
Jensen
Roederer
Strumpf
Gallardo
Abbott

Edit:

Just finished reading...So hot takes:

- The dismissing of Riley Thompson being 22/23 during the season in A ball due to his injury history got a chuckle. He's a pitcher! Just drop him! It doesn't mean you hate him!

- Three guys who will be ranked behind Roederer more often than not this offseason but I'm not sure why: Ademan, Martinez, and Pinango. The latter two are similar low physical projection guys who came out mashing, similar to Roederer 2018 but both with stronger ARLs. The former is more a victim of shiny new toy syndrome in comparison

- Jensen's 2017-2018 ERA got more mention than any of his 2019 performance in the comment, devolved into default short RH comments

- Ademan's...eye...was the first thing mentioned as a weakness on offense rather than strength. The eye is his strength, has been even going back to the DSL

- I like the 2019 J2 trio in general so some Kevin Made love is nice, good looking frame...Feel like if he could sneak comfortably onto the list at 25 there's room for Rafael Morel, though Morel's frame isn't as projectable as Made's probably

- Pinango athleticism love also fun, I wouldn't be stunned to see him get CF time next year with one of the AZL squads
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:02 pm

Interesting list. Some of the pitcher placements seem questionable but many of the pitchers in our system are interchangeable. My biggest surprise was the low placement of Ademan.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:51 pm

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospect-and-f ... tem-survey

Who is the most underrated prospect?

1. Drew Waters, OF, Braves (15%)
T2. Brandon Marsh, OF, Angels (11%)
T2. Corbin Carroll, OF, D-backs (11%)
4. Bobby Dalbec, 3B, Red Sox (7%)

Also received votes: Francisco Alvarez, C, Mets; CJ Abrams, SS, Padres; Luis Campusano, C, Padres; Dylan Carlson, OF, Cardinals; Jasson Dominguez, OF, Yankees; Jose Garcia, SS/2B Reds; Matthew Liberatore, LHP, Rays; Marco Luciano, SS, Giants; Brailyn Marquez, LHP, Cubs; Isaac Paredes, 3B, Tigers; Kristian Robinson, OF, D-backs; Tarik Skubal, LHP, Tigers; Alek Thomas, OF, D-backs; Ryan Weathers, LHP, Padres; Justin Williams, OF, Cardinals

Hoerner got votes for highest baseball IQ
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:32 am

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/202 ... er-league/

the number 10 prospect from the league might not be a surprise: 17-year-old outfielder Yohendrick Pinango, who was signed in 2018 out of Venezuela for a $400,000 bonus. Pinango has an all-fields line-drive approach (for now), takes tons of walks, doesn’t strike out, and runs really well. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a shot at stateside rookie ball this year. See BA for the full write-up on Pinango.

Two spots behind Pinango is another member of the 2018 class, shortstop Rafael Morel. Yes, the 18-year-old is the younger brother of South Bend third baseman Christopher Morel, who’ll be somewhere in Cubs’ top 25 prospects to most lists this year. Rafael was signed in 2018 out of the Dominican Republic for $850,000, and he’s already a good hitter – showing some pop, too – who might be able to stick at shortstop. Like Pinango, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Morel get a look in stateside rookie ball after extended Spring Training. See BA for the full write-up on Morel.

Pinango will probably make them pay for this insult of 10 when he's out there being a Calhoun/Benintendi hybrid with also the best name in the league
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Can't say I agree with having Franklin and Thompson on this list, or even Morel. Franklin hasn't pitched enough or done anything really exciting, Thompson was good but not dominant in A ball, and Morel's plate discipline is a ceiling killer IMO
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:55 pm

Marquez comes in at #9, and is credited with the best fastball among the group.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:06 pm

DL Hall at 10 on that list is wild, he's one of the 10 best SP prospects in the minors rather than the 10th best LHSP prospect. He and Patino were the most exciting pitchers at the Future's Game this year, guy was mid-high 90's with two out pitch offspeeds. He should be, at worst, 4th on that list
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:57 pm

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/top-catch ... s-for-2020

Amaya is their 10th catcher.

I'd probably go:

Rutschman - Pretty much an ideal prospect
Murphy
Stephenson
Bart
Amaya - These first 5 have strong all around potential
Varsho - Fast and also a LHH
Ruiz
Alvarez
Naylor - LHH
Cartaya - Joins Alvarez as the tooled up big bonus 17 YO, switch hitter with potential to be the next elite Doyers prospect
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:30 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Whoa good stuff getting national recognition so quickly...I'm getting more confident they can trade for someone badass like Lindor
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:24 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Whoa good stuff getting national recognition so quickly...I'm getting more confident they can trade for someone badass like Lindor

I'm the low guy on Strumpf, so I would absolutely love a way to deal him for something valuable at the big league level.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:30 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Whoa good stuff getting national recognition so quickly...I'm getting more confident they can trade for someone badass like Lindor

what from the last two years would make you think this is something they're remotely interested in doing
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:48 am

big ball chunky time wrote:what from the last two years would make you think this is something they're remotely interested in doing

Not confident that they'll actually pull something off, just that the system plays up in this new pretendthere'sacapandthisistheNFL environment
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”