Potential Kris Bryant trade thread

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Potential Kris Bryant trade thread

Postby David » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:26 am

there's no way in hell dinelson lamet was a primary piece of interest in a KB deal
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:04 pm

If you told me the Cubs were talking about Limet and Campusano I would've said 'that's a little less than I'd hope to get for Contreras'. Would have been unimaginably dumb for Bryant.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:08 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:If you told me the Cubs were talking about Limet and Campusano I would've said 'that's a little less than I'd hope to get for Contreras'. Would have been unimaginably dumb for Bryant.

if that were real, both FOs would be incredibly dumb
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:14 pm

Though jersey's Dinelson's Lament-themed thread title would have been great.
4 x
► Show Spoiler

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:05 am

David wrote:there's no way in hell dinelson lamet was a primary piece of interest in a KB deal

Why not? There's a substantial amount of hype around him this year as a prime breakout candidate. Outside of Paddack and Tatis, who certainly wouldn't be available, he's the most valuable mlb trade piece they have. Lamet,munoz and Campusano would be a really nice haul and likely more than they will get in reality.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:08 am

Tryptamine wrote:
David wrote:there's no way in hell dinelson lamet was a primary piece of interest in a KB deal

Why not?

Because a pre-injured pitcher who hasn't even been good yet is a terrible start to a Kris Bryant trade
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:08 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Why not?

Because a pre-injured pitcher who hasn't even been good yet is a terrible start to a Kris Bryant trade

The Cubs love to shop in the pre-injured pitcher aisle at the store.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:26 pm

Unless that top pitching prospect was also involved as the other guy that sounds like a package that includes Heyward with KB
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Yeah, the rumor was the Cubs asking for Mackenzie Gore in a Contreras deal. There's no way they're coming allll the way down like that on Bryant.

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/kris-brya ... -out-noise

"It hasn't been a distraction at all," Bryant said of the trade chatter. "I mean, Theo keeps asking for the moon for me, which is pretty cool, because I'm not going to get traded then. Keep doing that, Theo. 'We want the team's best player and their top two prospects.' That's all it's going to take."

Going by that, the more likely ask was Tatis Jr., Gore, and Patino which makes way more sense as an ask
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:46 pm

Tatis carries far more value than Bryant by himself. You're asking for ridiculous packages.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:12 pm

Tryptamine wrote:You're asking for ridiculous packages.

Well yeah, that should be the case when entertaining the idea of trading a possible future HOFer in his prime
1 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:16 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:

Well yeah, that should be the case when entertaining the idea of trading a possible future HOFer in his prime

And that asking price is how you end up with nothing but a draft pick after wasting his value on two years of a very marginal baseball team.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:26 am

Tryptamine wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

And that asking price is how you end up with nothing but a draft pick after wasting his value on two years of a very marginal baseball team.

lol
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:28 am

Tryptamine wrote:And that asking price is how you end up with nothing but a draft pick after wasting his value on two years of a very marginal baseball team.

That's a possible outcome. It's also a way to not end up trading Kris Bryant for some other contender's spare pre-injured arms and A ballers because of some offseason press so there's that
2 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:20 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:And that asking price is how you end up with nothing but a draft pick after wasting his value on two years of a very marginal baseball team.

That's a possible outcome. It's also a way to not end up trading Kris Bryant for some other contender's spare pre-injured arms and A ballers because of some offseason press so there's that

I would love some dream scenario where some team inexplicably gives up a player that is basically as good as Bryant, under control longer and is cheaper, but it's not happening. I like Bryant as much as anyone, but you need to be realistic in what his value is. Also, enough with the injured arm stuff. Damn near every pitcher by 25 has injured their arm to some degree.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:54 am

Tryptamine wrote:I would love some dream scenario where some team inexplicably gives up a player that is basically as good as Bryant, under control longer and is cheaper, but it's not happening. I like Bryant as much as anyone, but you need to be realistic in what his value is. Also, enough with the injured arm stuff. Damn near every pitcher by 25 has injured their arm to some degree.

You can't talk about being realistic about Kris Bryant's value and end up with Dinelson Lamet because some people wrote some nice offseason articles, another A ball catcher ready for AA, and another spare probably pre-injured pitcher down their depth charts

Pass on ignoring injury histories on guys who pitch baseballs, especially when trading possible future HOFers. Damn near every 25 YO pitcher sucks as well, but I'm not going to start ignoring performance and scouting reports because of that either. The idea would be to make a good trade for impct players and not settle for someone's scraps in a bad attempt to momentarily quiet a noisy situation
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:13 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:

He's not in his prime.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:47 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:He's not in his prime.

Hopefully most accurately, he's just stepped out of the years age curves say a typical player's prime is. For sure even at the toasted age of 28 you're not asking for or taking a pre-injured not particularly good pitcher and another catcher just about to leave the low minors
0 x

Return to “Transactions”