The Science Thread

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Re: The Science Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri May 18, 2018 2:51 am

CoolHandLuke wrote:I guess what drives me crazy is the seemingly insurmountable gulf between "Middle School student textbook level" understanding and really getting it. (I care more for my own curiosity than to help me teach students - I definitely get it enough for sixth graders)

This is the sort of picture that you find to learn about seismograms that gives you the basics but doesn't really help much when you look at the real ones:

Thanks for posting that video! I had no idea that tidal stress influences earthquakes.

Ah, so you really wanna go down the rabbit hole. I'll see if I can find a seismology 101-type text that's low on the crazy math...but honestly, seismology isn't the most complicated thing the world. When you start getting into the math to describe how to model guided waves or the wave equation or using structure tensors or other assorted minutia it gets wild, but that's true of most science disciplines. On its face, its simple stuff. There are other geophysical techniques like EM, GPR, remote sensing and gravity that are equally fascinating.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:
CoolHandLuke wrote:I guess what drives me crazy is the seemingly insurmountable gulf between "Middle School student textbook level" understanding and really getting it. (I care more for my own curiosity than to help me teach students - I definitely get it enough for sixth graders)

This is the sort of picture that you find to learn about seismograms that gives you the basics but doesn't really help much when you look at the real ones:

Thanks for posting that video! I had no idea that tidal stress influences earthquakes.

Ah, so you really wanna go down the rabbit hole. I'll see if I can find a seismology 101-type text that's low on the crazy math...but honestly, seismology isn't the most complicated thing the world. When you start getting into the math to describe how to model guided waves or the wave equation or using structure tensors or other assorted minutia it gets wild, but that's true of most science disciplines. On its face, its simple stuff. There are other geophysical techniques like EM, GPR, remote sensing and gravity that are equally fascinating.

This is a decent 101 lecture series. I skimmed through the first two videos and it covers a lot of stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gvv8aXh0ys&t=913s

Oh, and this video is much better if you want to focus on earthquake waveforms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wiV0Ow5oT0
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:40 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon May 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Live video of lava spewing like a fountain from a fissure...

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-now ... 8468675565
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon May 21, 2018 7:59 pm

That NBC guy needs to lay off the zoom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnUr5bhWrBc
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 22, 2018 2:48 pm

It doesn't want to embed, but this is some awesome video.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatorie ... e-2082.mp4
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:49 pm

Update on my upcoming Hawaii vacation. I was air bnb booked to spend a week in Vacationland. I asked for a refund when lava cut off the last remaining route to the neighborhood. I'm glad I asked when I did, because 30 hours later the entire neighborhood was a lava field, and asking for a refund from someone whose house was just completely destroyed is past awkward. Pretty sad situation.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Social”