Minor League Musings

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:33 pm

So in a season where Amaya is the only guy to really set a badass track to the majors, this Richard Gallardo signing has really caught my interest. He became the highest ranked amateur pitcher this FO has signed and the highest ranked amateur they’ve brought in since Happ in 2015. I wonder where scouts inside and outside the org think he can be in 4 years at 20? Hopefully an athletic 6’3” 240 with control and command of mid-upper 90’s and a wipeout secondary. At 16 he is already listed at 6'1" 187 with some long arms and legs. The clips BA put up suggest a power pitcher's approach with lots of four seams up, often inside, in tandem with a curveball I'm hoping stays a curveball with more velocity and power. He seems both aggressive, intuitive, and confident on the mound.

Piling up all those teenagers is slowly but going to slowly start to paying off for the farm over the next couple years. Ademan may have stunk it up this year but Amaya stepped right up, Gallardo is a potential very big add, Jose Gutierrez snuck into full season ball and has an XBH in 10% of his PAs, Marquez gained velocity, Velazquez's RH power is loud, Roederer has come in strong, Davis has shown more bat to ball skills than maybe expected of a tall two sport guy...I believe this wave of talent forming behind the current bunch of players in AA and AAA will be the most exciting wave of talent since the 2015 farm plus the org players out of the bunch will be of a little higher quality than today's. No one's a serious threat to arrive to the majors before say 2021-2022, but that works just fine given where the ML club is.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:15 am

BA’s best tools: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... gue-tools/

Best control in the SL: Duncan Robinson
Best defensive SS in the SL: Zack Short
Best defensive C in the MWL: Miguel Amaya
Best defensive 1B in the MWL: Jared Young
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:25 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA’s best tools: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... gue-tools/

I didn't realize Short was a plus defender. If that's true he's interesting, potentially a Zack Cozart type. Cozart was/is more of a contact guy, but Short could take a different route to a similar OBP/SLG.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:36 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA’s best tools: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... gue-tools/

Wait, I thought Jared Young was a 2B? Maybe he plays there and acts as a utility guy?
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:28 am

Young's played almost exclusively 1B.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:00 am

FWIW Davenport has Short at +5 DRS this season
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:26 am

craig wrote:Young's played almost exclusively 1B.

But he can definitely play 2B and possibly corner OF.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:18 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
craig wrote:Young's played almost exclusively 1B.

But he can definitely play 2B and possibly corner OF.

Yeah, he was drafted as a 2B and I know he can play there. Not surprised he's good at 1B when he's capable of playing harder positions defensively.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:53 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:FWIW Davenport has Short at +5 DRS this season

I saw that and was shocked a bit. I've seen multiple games of Short and would have classified it as average defense at SS. But then again, that was just the eye test and I'm obviously not a scout.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Matt Swarmer was a 19th-rounder in 2016 out of Kutztown (a small PA school which has given us John Mobley, Andre Reed, Ryan Vogelsong, and my high-school chem teacher, end of list) who fits an archetype targeted by the Cubs many times in recent drafts: deceptive college arms. Swarmer’s delivery, which is similar to that of Josh Collmenter’s, makes for a very uncomfortable at-bat. His three-pitch mix includes a low-90s fastball, tilting low-80s slider, and firm changeup. All are fringey on their own but play up because of hitters’ discomfort with Swarmer’s delivery. Pitchers like this are best suited for spot starts or long relief, which is exactly what the Cubs are trying to cultivate with the high volume of college pitching they’ve selected in recent years as a way of creating depth behind their fairly shallow big-league staff.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:32 pm

davell wrote:Matt Swarmer was a 19th-rounder in 2016 out of Kutztown (a small PA school which has given us John Mobley, Andre Reed, Ryan Vogelsong, and my high-school chem teacher, end of list) who fits an archetype targeted by the Cubs many times in recent drafts: deceptive college arms. Swarmer’s delivery, which is similar to that of Josh Collmenter’s, makes for a very uncomfortable at-bat. His three-pitch mix includes a low-90s fastball, tilting low-80s slider, and firm changeup. All are fringey on their own but play up because of hitters’ discomfort with Swarmer’s delivery. Pitchers like this are best suited for spot starts or long relief, which is exactly what the Cubs are trying to cultivate with the high volume of college pitching they’ve selected in recent years as a way of creating depth behind their fairly shallow big-league staff.

You should probably attribute that to Eric Longenhagen of Fangraphs. It looks like your scouting report right now lol.

I like Matt Swarmer and think he could become a useful reliever.
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:49 pm

Regular Show wrote:
davell wrote:Matt Swarmer was a 19th-rounder in 2016 out of Kutztown (a small PA school which has given us John Mobley, Andre Reed, Ryan Vogelsong, and my high-school chem teacher, end of list) who fits an archetype targeted by the Cubs many times in recent drafts: deceptive college arms. Swarmer’s delivery, which is similar to that of Josh Collmenter’s, makes for a very uncomfortable at-bat. His three-pitch mix includes a low-90s fastball, tilting low-80s slider, and firm changeup. All are fringey on their own but play up because of hitters’ discomfort with Swarmer’s delivery. Pitchers like this are best suited for spot starts or long relief, which is exactly what the Cubs are trying to cultivate with the high volume of college pitching they’ve selected in recent years as a way of creating depth behind their fairly shallow big-league staff.

You should probably attribute that to Eric Longenhagen of Fangraphs. It looks like your scouting report right now lol.

I like Matt Swarmer and think he could become a useful reliever.

Oops,yeah lol.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:43 pm

Our top 9 prospects according to...Jim Bowden:

Top 9 Prospects: 1. Miguel Amaya, C; 2. Alex Lange, RHP; 3. Nico Hoerner, SS; 4. Brailyn Marquez, LHP; 5. Adbert Alzolay, RHP; 6. Justin Steele, LHP; 7. Aramis Ademan, SS; 8. Brendon Little, LHP; 9. Duane Underwood Jr., RHP.

He also ranks our system 19th. Which is somehow four better than the team set to dominate the division for years.

https://theathletic.com/483010/2018/08/ ... -deadline/
2 x
Spoiler: show

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:57 am

Just one man's opinion, but I like that there's some some pitching in there - 6 out of 9.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:13 am

PackLandVA wrote:Just one man's opinion, but I like that there's some some pitching in there - 6 out of 9.

Nice
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:46 am

Of the gazillion random teenagers signed over the past 4 summers, maybe one can be as fun as Ronald Acuna? I’m fine if this player is not ready at 19/20 so long as he exists and plays for the Cubs.

Acuna hit his 20th HR tonight. He plays for an org I hate ( everyone should especially the locals ) but he seems like a pretty badass player. Hopefully he doesn’t Puig his career or worse
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:17 am

Anybody interesting on the Beloit Snappers (A's) or Cedar Rapids Kernels (Twins)? Probably going to go to a game in Beloit next weekend.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Brian wrote:Anybody interesting on the Beloit Snappers (A's) or Cedar Rapids Kernels (Twins)? Probably going to go to a game in Beloit next weekend.

Akil Baddoo on the Kernels and Lazaro Armenteros on the Snappers
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:28 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Brian wrote:Anybody interesting on the Beloit Snappers (A's) or Cedar Rapids Kernels (Twins)? Probably going to go to a game in Beloit next weekend.

Akil Baddoo on the Kernels and Lazaro Armenteros on the Snappers

Nick Allen and Austin Beck for Beloit too. And Trevor Larnach for Cedar Rapids.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:32 pm

This is encouraging news.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:56 pm

I love that they're trying to Arrieta one of Webster or Hultzen right now. What was Webster's deal? I remember him as a top prospect for Dodgers who was rumored in big trades (which also included Eovaldi, IIRC) years back. Injuries or ineffectiveness?
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:03 pm

javy knows my name wrote:I love that they're trying to Arrieta one of Webster or Hultzen right now. What was Webster's deal? I remember him as a top prospect for Dodgers who was rumored in big trades (which also included Eovaldi, IIRC) years back. Injuries or ineffectiveness?

I think they’re more trying to Morrow them. Don’t think they will be starters ever, but potentially good relievers
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:08 pm

Regular Show wrote:

This is encouraging news.

Nice! I had visions of him sitting 82-84 and fooling teenagers in the AZL with breaking stuff.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:32 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:I love that they're trying to Arrieta one of Webster or Hultzen right now. What was Webster's deal? I remember him as a top prospect for Dodgers who was rumored in big trades (which also included Eovaldi, IIRC) years back. Injuries or ineffectiveness?

I think they’re more trying to Morrow them. Don’t think they will be starters ever, but potentially good relievers

Yep, big difference in arm health and (then) recent history between an Arrieta candidate and these guys

Basically hoping for like a Joe Kelly ish MLer from Webster and Hultzen maybe a LH that can throw strikes with his fastball and spin a good breaking ball
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:33 am

1 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”