Minor League Musings

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:39 am

i would absolutely trade ian happ for walker buehler
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:19 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i would absolutely trade ian happ for walker buehler

I would too, in theory, but I just don't trust anyone with the first name of "Walker".
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:34 pm

Excellent season by him

0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:42 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i would absolutely trade ian happ for walker buehler

I absolutely would too. But, the Cubs didn't make the wrong call at draft time. Buehler had TJS and came back throwing 4-5 MPH harder than before. He was considered a back end starter, at the time of the draft.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Excellent season by him

Yeah, he had a great year, but Kiley McDaniel and Eric Longenhagen said his body went backwards this season and looks a little soft. If true, I really want him to commit to losing a little weight and improve his conditioning. He's still really young so he has time to improve his body/get stronger.

Just to avoid confusion, I don't mean stronger as in he'll be capable of throwing harder (he already throws plenty hard). I mean he'll be able to maintain his velocity and have better endurance over 100+ IP.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:54 pm

From the latest chat on Fangraphs:

Lanny: Who will be the GM of the Orioles next year ?

Kiley McDaniel: Sounds like the Duke

Dang, I didn't know they'd hire our very own Duke Silver to be their next GM.

Good luck bro.
3 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Regular Show wrote:From the latest chat on Fangraphs:

Lanny: Who will be the GM of the Orioles next year ?

Kiley McDaniel: Sounds like the Duke

Dang, I didn't know they'd hire our very own Duke Silver to be their next GM.

Good luck bro.

They really liked my presentation on how Mad Men gifs would lead us to redemption.
3 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:54 am

Video of Marquez from last week at South Bend. Not sure I'm really noticing the "soft" bit? I sure wouldn't have thought that from the video, if it hadn't been suggested earlier? If Marquez is "soft", then I don't know what you'd call guys like Schwarber and Justin Wilson...

Regardless, I hope he's got the motivation and brains to get the most out of whatever ability he's got. Important guy for the system.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:34 am

craig wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYXPRZH77eA

Video of Marquez from last week at South Bend. Not sure I'm really noticing the "soft" bit? I sure wouldn't have thought that from the video, if it hadn't been suggested earlier? If Marquez is "soft", then I don't know what you'd call guys like Schwarber and Justin Wilson...

Regardless, I hope he's got the motivation and brains to get the most out of whatever ability he's got. Important guy for the system.

Eric Longenhagen wrote this back in July:

Marquez has a 20:4 strikeout-to-walk ratio at Eugene. I saw him up to 96 last year, but he was 88-93 in extended spring training, and his body had matured and gotten somewhat soft pretty quickly. It didn’t affect his advanced fastball command, though, or his arm-side command of his breaking ball, which comprise a large chunk of Marquez’s current plan on the mound. He projects as a No. 4/5 starter with several average pitches and above-average control.

I don't see it either. Seems fine to me, but they've mentioned that a few times in chats/notes. I think he's our best pitching prospect outside of a healthy Adbert Alzolay.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:47 am

*raises hand nervously*

I totally see it and the potential for a high maintenance frame. He’s a big dude, might push 240+ by the time he’s in his mid-late 20s. That won’t really be what holds him back as far as developing into a SP so much as the straight fastball and rudimentary offspeeds IMO
0 x
Spoiler: show

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:03 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:

*raises hand nervously*

I totally see it and the potential for a high maintenance frame. He’s a big dude, might push 240+ by the time he’s in his mid-late 20s. That won’t really be what holds him back as far as developing into a SP so much as the straight fastball and rudimentary offspeeds IMO

Umm, what? So on his milb player page he's listed as 6'4" and 185 lbs. and is 19 years old (turns 20 in January). Now, these pages aren't always up-to-date, but they aren't off by too much (usually). Let's say he is really 190 lbs. or something like that. You think he's adding 50 lbs. or more when he is in his mid-late 20's!?! I mean it is possible, but anything is possible...

He could grow another 5 or 6 inches and start throwing even harder and become the next Big Unit. It's possible, but not very likely. Same thing with your scenario. He isn't going to be pushing 240+ and he seems fine. Not to be mean, but are you watching it in HD? I'm watching it in 720p and his forearms are good and his lower-half isn't too thick. He doesn't seem overweight or chubby or "soft" in this particular video.

I'm going to mark this post and if you're still around and I'm still around and Marquez makes it all the way to the big leagues and is pitching in some form in his mid-20's... well, we will see who is right lol.

EDIT: My prediction is he'll be 210-215 lbs. when he reaches his mid-late 20's (which is fine).
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:42 pm

Cory Abbott is the Cubs August pitcher of the month. Nelson Velázquez is the August position player of the month.

Guessing Abbott might win minor league pitcher of the year. It’s him, Swarmer or Robinson. Guessing Jared Young gets position player of the year.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm not really concerned with Marquez' body. He's young, he'll get put on a nutrition plan, or if he's on one already, it'll be monitored closely. My honest guess is he'll come to ST looking chiseled.

He IS our best hope at a TOR type arm. But, I'd sacrifice a bit of velo for more movement personally. Granted, at his age, he's still got time to find more of either or both.
2 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:15 pm

So outside of the current service time [expletive], the Blue Jays might be my favorite rebuild. They have that elite among elite bat prospect in Vlad Jr. to build around. They’ve maybe got his Scottie Pippen in Bichette. Then there’s a group of ML ready guys who are solid prospects for their positions in Alford, Tellez, and Jensen. A little further off is Jordan Groshans, mashing during his pro debut, and one of the Brewers’ more quality lottery tickets in Demi Orimoloye landed for Granderson

These guys are a jumbo sized group, smallest is Bichette at 6’ 200, and very athletic (there’s three corner players listed there, one is Vlad and all have power). It’s an impressive group likely to produce a franchise player and then some...They also have some quality arm prospects in Sean Reid-Foley, Eric Pardinho, and Adam Kloffenstein

—-

Forgot about the Marquez convo...I think he’s 200-205 now. 24-29 he can sit a solid 215-235 if everything goes great, but yeah I still the potential to hit 240+. Using more bro science he looks like an endomorph. I do not believe body type, weight, or general fitness are what will hurt him as a SP or even P prospect. Physically he seems a little stiff and mechanical so maybe there’s some questions about his flexibility and overall athleticism. As always this is just speculative nonsense on my part for fun, but yeah most generally I lean towards agreeing with Longenhagen’s observation with the frame being a little soft. He should be on BA’s NWL list which will maybe offer new info or opinions
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:53 pm

This is pretty cool. I would have loved to have seen this when the Cubs had the highest-rated farm system a few years ago.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:09 pm

https://www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard.as ... l&team=chc

Not sure if this link has been shared before. It's a link to Fangraph's THE BOARD feature with the Cubs Prospect list.

So the Cubs have 9 prospects with a 45+ FV rating. Gallardo almost makes it into that group with a 40+ FV. Miguel Amaya is #1 at 50 FV (which should be higher IMO). It's a good list, but I think Roederer should be higher and DJ Wilson much lower.

Also, Trent Giambrone isn't on the list and that's a mistake. Maybe when they update it next time.
1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:23 pm

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Jared Young was named the Cubs Minor League Player of the Year and Matt Swarmer was named the Minor League Pitcher of the Year.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:03 pm

BA's Year-End Reports: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... potential/

Best Prospect: C Miguel Amaya
"We saw a lot in the first half,” senior vice president of scouting and player development Jason McLeod said, "especially the way he was driving the ball through the middle of the field, to the opposite field.

"I think the kid’s going to hit, and hit for some power, and be a game-caller and a guy who can—I’m not going to say completely shut down the running game—but he can be a solid thrower behind the plate.”

Best Pitcher: RHP Keegan Thompson

Keep an Eye On: LHP Brailyn Márquez
"Because he’s so physical,” McLeod said. "He’s 6-foot-5, 225 (pounds). He’s lefthanded. He’s been up to like 97-98 (mph). He’ll get a lot of prospect buzz going into next year.”
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:04 am

225# for Marquez? Big boy

Btw that Padres guy the Fangraphs guys call the top teenage SP prospect on the planet doesn’t seem like crazy competition for Richard Gallardo. Please pass him next year!
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:43 am

Regular Show wrote:https://www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard.aspx?draft=2018updated&type=0&pos=all&team=chc

Not sure if this link has been shared before. It's a link to Fangraph's THE BOARD feature with the Cubs Prospect list.

So the Cubs have 9 prospects with a 45+ FV rating. Gallardo almost makes it into that group with a 40+ FV. Miguel Amaya is #1 at 50 FV (which should be higher IMO). It's a good list, but I think Roederer should be higher and DJ Wilson much lower.

Also, Trent Giambrone isn't on the list and that's a mistake. Maybe when they update it next time.

Also no Steele, Duncan Robinson or Matt Swarmer.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA's Year-End Reports: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... potential/

"We saw a lot in the first half,” senior vice president of scouting and player development Jason McLeod said, "especially the way he was driving the ball through the middle of the field, to the opposite field.

"I think the kid’s going to hit, and hit for some power, and be a game-caller and a guy who can—I’m not going to say completely shut down the running game—but he can be a solid thrower behind the plate.”

"Because he’s so physical,” McLeod said. "He’s 6-foot-5, 225 (pounds). He’s lefthanded. He’s been up to like 97-98 (mph). He’ll get a lot of prospect buzz going into next year.”

Wow, Marquez is already 225 lbs. according to McLeod.

If that's right, then he has a decent chance of being 240 or more when he reaches his mid-20's. I was wrong on that. I really thought he was closer to 190-195. He didn't look that big in the video or seem overweight.

If you're trying to picture what Marquez would look like at 240 or around there, well picture Jon Lester. He's listed as 6'4" and 240 lbs. (probably weighs more than that).
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:42 pm

I, for one, am exited to have lefty Bartolo in the system
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:16 am

Regular Show wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA's Year-End Reports: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... potential/

Wow, Marquez is already 225 lbs. according to McLeod.

If that's right, then he has a decent chance of being 240 or more when he reaches his mid-20's. I was wrong on that. I really thought he was closer to 190-195. He didn't look that big in the video or seem overweight.

If you're trying to picture what Marquez would look like at 240 or around there, well picture Jon Lester. He's listed as 6'4" and 240 lbs. (probably weighs more than that).

225 CAN be overweight on a 6’5” guy but that’s not going to look bad on a 19 YO multi-year pro athlete in general these days unless he’s been hurt or something else. McLeod doesn’t seem to be suggesting overweight either.

Lester as a decade+ MLer and 16 year pro likely has more reliable dims than Marquez, one of many 3rd year pro IFAs, on the official websites. I doubt Lester’s much over 240, maybe 242 or similarly negligible, getting there naturally over time. A young Lester was probably a lean 215-225, but this is at 24 with many pro innings under his belt. That’s probably where Longenhagen’s comment about Marquez maybe being a little soft comes into play. Marquez is maybe ahead of the ideal weight at his age, subjective depending on how his athleticism and tools play. Maybe one guy thinks he’s a LH Jose Fernandez, another sees Lester, another sees him as a maybe LH Joe Jimenez, maybe another sees Clayton Richard
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Good thread to read through

3 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Minor Leagues”