Minor League Musings

Thunderbolt_47
bench player

Re: Minor League Musings

Postby Thunderbolt_47 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Yeah, Ramos is one hell of a ghost, he managed to stay under the radar for a while because that's the first time I hear about him. Would you have a link to AZ Phil's article? I was a little bit out of the loop last spring (... until September) because I had one hell of a lot of work, and completely missed this guy.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:41 pm

13. Nico Hoerner, SS, Mesa (Cubs No. 6)
A first-round pick (No. 24 overall) in June, Hoerner has outstanding bat-to-ball skills, sneaky power (he tied for the AFL lead with four triples) and plus speed. His average arm may land him at second base, with one scout comparing him to Ian Kinsler.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:57 pm

Thunderbolt_47 wrote:Yeah, Ramos is one hell of a ghost, he managed to stay under the radar for a while because that's the first time I hear about him. Would you have a link to AZ Phil's article? I was a little bit out of the loop last spring (... until September) because I had one hell of a lot of work, and completely missed this guy.

It was in the comment section of an article, I believe in response to a question I had asked him about velocity readings, during spring training or extended spring.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:22 am

Signed out of Venezuela in 2013, Pereda spent his first four pro seasons in Rookie ball and spent the majority of his time at first base during his introduction to full-season ball in 2017. The Cubs planned on having him repeat low Class A this year, but high Class A Myrtle Beach manager Buddy Bailey lobbied not only to get Pereda but also to make him the Pelicans' regular catcher. He responded by earning Carolina League all-star honors at midseason and outperforming the two other catchers on the Mesa Solar Sox roster during Arizona Fall League play.

After totaling five homers with a .625 OPS during his first five years as a pro, Pereda smacked eight homers with a .710 OPS in 2018. He controls the strike zone better than most hitters in Chicago's system and projects to hit for a decent average with more than his share of walks. He also has the strength to provide double-digit home run totals on an annual basis.

Pereda's best pure tool is his plus arm strength, which enabled him to throw out 38 percent of basestealers this year. He needs to improve his receiving and framing skills but has made progress in both areas. He moves better than most catchers and doesn't clog up the bases.

Not a super exciting profile. His best tool is his arm and apparently scouts aren't impressed with his bat.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Thunderbolt_47
bench player

Postby Thunderbolt_47 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:25 am

CubsWin wrote:It was in the comment section of an article, I believe in response to a question I had asked him about velocity readings, during spring training or extended spring.

Okay, thanks, I'll try to google it, but at least I got the key idea.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Regular Show wrote:

Signed out of Venezuela in 2013, Pereda spent his first four pro seasons in Rookie ball and spent the majority of his time at first base during his introduction to full-season ball in 2017. The Cubs planned on having him repeat low Class A this year, but high Class A Myrtle Beach manager Buddy Bailey lobbied not only to get Pereda but also to make him the Pelicans' regular catcher. He responded by earning Carolina League all-star honors at midseason and outperforming the two other catchers on the Mesa Solar Sox roster during Arizona Fall League play.

After totaling five homers with a .625 OPS during his first five years as a pro, Pereda smacked eight homers with a .710 OPS in 2018. He controls the strike zone better than most hitters in Chicago's system and projects to hit for a decent average with more than his share of walks. He also has the strength to provide double-digit home run totals on an annual basis.

Pereda's best pure tool is his plus arm strength, which enabled him to throw out 38 percent of basestealers this year. He needs to improve his receiving and framing skills but has made progress in both areas. He moves better than most catchers and doesn't clog up the bases.

Not a super exciting profile. His best tool is his arm and apparently scouts aren't impressed with his bat.

So he's David Ross? Is he also an awful teammate?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Bull wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

So he's David Ross? Is he also an awful teammate?

I'd rather he was Marmol.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 pm

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:06 am

Sickels getting the shaft so suddenly blew, hopefully he lands on his feet. I think he got hit hard by the deluge of super cereal and way more sensationalistic prospect coverage that popped up this decade, but also he wrote way less often in recent years and SBN was and is just a weak platform for a guy wih his pedigree.

——

So FanGraphs dumped alot Cubs prospect video a couple days ago. Just a handful players - Reivaj Garcia, Hoerner, Luis Verdugo, Jeremiah Estrada, Benjamin Rodriguez, Yovanny Cruz, and Justin Steele - but pretty long videos

Garcia stood out in the bunch. He’s not big but he is strong/physical already, twitchy at the plate, bat seemed fast, and just seemed to have a feel to hit. He looks like a below average runner now but with technique that looked terrible. I could see both his speed and power both getting better as he gets stronger, pretty crazy he is less than 4 months into being 17 and switch hits. I’m secretly hoping for an ultra aggressive SB assignment. Some shades of Isaac Paredes with the feel to hit + actually hitting with an advanced approach + extreme youth + unconventional body MIF/IF

Verdugo and Rodriguez are rail thin, not sure if that automatically makes them projectable THO. Verdugo didn’t look horrendous on the ball he put into the air. It seemed like the clip was taken over multiple looks as he looks bigger after the initial swing. Yovanny Cruz OTOH looks projectable and physical already, for some reason I thought of Armando Benitez, and got decent plane on his fastball
2 x
Spoiler: show

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:

That sucks. Minor League Ball/Sickels was one of my favorite sites for reading up on our minor leaguers and other teams, I really liked the format and was my go to when just searching for a teams top ~20 list to read the write ups. Hopefully someone hires Sickels and he can basically replicate minor league ball on their site.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:05 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:22 am

Jim Adduci is back?

All is right with the world!
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:52 am

Wow, a bunch of minor league signings.
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Hm, so I’m coming dangerously close to respecting the Mets as an opponent for the Cubs this offseason. I already pegged them as the Winners of the Offseason So Far, consider Syndergaard the most talented/highest ceiling SP on the planet, and they’ve got a dual fronts thing going on:

- David Peterson’s going to perfectly compliment their power RHPs in the rotation and soon. Yes, he spent all of last year at the A ball levels but there are certain things that mitigate for me. One is his long track record as an amateur, Peterson’s very well known and long well regarded. Two is the production last year - 2 HRs in 128 IP to go with a nearly 4:1 K:BB - is something I buy into. There’s risk in that I would prefer all the production come in at least High A, which I consider an understated checkpoint for SP prospects. Still overall I am a believer. Part of that may be a wild guess that highly productive and nationally recognized healthy 3 year college SPs, even if not on tier with a Mize or Scherzer or Verlander in upside or dominance as amateurs, are a strong pool for SP candidates

- Pretty much the rest of their top 10 prospects are bats, Anthony Kay is a pitcher and one that should have some utility as a LHRP

- Alonso’s the very rare outright and respectable 1B prospect, he brings always highly coveted RH power. I think he has been marketed extremely well by the org at worst with a shot at becoming a legit anchor if things go well

- Andres Gimenez is just a really competent well rounded profile as a MIF prospect at such a young age. He’s not as badass as Isaac Paredes but they share tracks. Like Alonso, he’s been handled really well for a guy who isn’t considered outright elite but nearly every org in baseball would/could/should be interested in. He will open 2019 at AA as a 20 YO after reaching at 19

- Gimenez is the furthest along of their teenage bats but they have THREE other guys showing hints of even higher ceilings. Mark Vientos, Ronny Mauricio, and Shervyen Newton are all still teenagers, are 6’3”+, show skills (contact, patience, power) that do well, the latter two switch hit while the former is a RHH, all play in and are expected to stick on the IF, all were highly regarded and scouted amateurs...IMO this is one of if not the most impressive grouping of teenage bat talent in the minors. Mauricio especially might be something pretty special

Since this is the Mets I am talking about they will probably fall flat on their face. Still - if I were a Mets fan this would be exciting times and probably be the healthiest that org has been in nearly 20 years. They should sign Machado.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Cole Roederer, OF, Cubs No. 14
Roederer, the Cubs' supplemental second-round pick from the 2018 Draft, got off to a fast start in the rookie-level Arizona League, hitting .275/.354/.465 over 36 games in his professional debut. The 19-year-old has a mature offensive approach and an ability to hit the ball to all fields, and if his stint in the AZL was any indication, he could be in store for a big first full season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/potential-brea ... -302080340

Nothing new or fun in here, but Roederer’s MLB.com’s pick for a breakout
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:36 am

Cubswin11 wrote:https://twitter.com/cubprospects/status/1075570425864904704?s=21

I remember Zagurski pitching for the Dbacks and Phillies way back. He's also in my 2008 Baseball Mogul (because it was free).

He's lasted a long time for someone who has barely pitched in the majors.
1 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Quick hot takes on the other NL Central farms. I’m only looking for potential stars/first division starters for the most part, unless someone might do alright in 2019:

- The Cardinals have a trio of position players - Nolan Gorman (LHH), Dylan Carlson (SH), and Elehurid Montero (RHH) - on track to be offensive studs. All have power and patience already. Gorman’s really the only one who has struck out alot and he has the most game power of then all to make up for it. I really liked Carlson as an amateur prospect and was annoyed the Cardinals drafted and signed him. He might fly up prospect lists as soon as this season as a 21 YO in (likely) AA.

Edit: The Cardinals also have a solid C prospect in Knizer and one of the higher ceiling college bats from the 2018 draft with Luken Baker.

- The Reds roll deep with possible impact offensive talent. Senzel’s only serious problem is the vertigo issue. If he beats that then he’s a star at whatever position (3B, 2B, or COF whichever it ends up being). Taylor Trammel is a pretty hard to find blend of new and old school leadoff potential, and they have some redundancy (Winker, Siani down the pipeline) where I can understand the trade rumors. Shed Long should make a solid replacement for Gennett when that comes up, way better bet than Downs to hit. Guys like Tyler Stephenson, Jose Siri, and Mike Siani show hints of having worthwhile ceilings. Tony Santillan strikes me as a potential Michael Fulmer type, strong SP prospect

- My guess is the Brewers solve 2B with potential stud Hiura and MIF depth with switch hitting Mauricio Dubon in 2019. Zach Brown seems a competent enough almost ML ready pitcher. Longer term Je’Von Ward and Tristen Lutz seem cool, and they’ve started adding even younger guys from the IFA world that may or may not do something.

- I’m pretty high on Cole Tucker, a switch hitting SS seemingly on the rise after a solid season + AFL, from the Pirates. Ke’Bryan Hayes is arguably one of the more well rounded prospects in the minors. He reminds me of a young Ryan Zimmermann as an awesome defensive 3B who has shown enough bat at very young ages to hope for an all around stud. Further off, Oneil Cruz has freak potential thanks to his combo of frame and athleticism and Travis Swaggerty looked like a steal on draft day last year.
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:39 pm

I could see Mills ending up being something like a Randy Wells/Jason Hammel type useful starter at some point. Peak year(s) in the 2-3 win range for a few years maybe. He’s not horrible depth as our 7/8/9th starter.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:14 pm

After the great Chatwood debacle I’ll never truly trust spin rate meaning much or that we as an org know how to make it work and translate it to on field success like the Astros certainly are. But cool to see with one of our prospects grading so well against big leaguers, I guess.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Spin Rate is stolen bases for nerds, a secondary skill that is undeniably positive, but weighted way too highly by enthusiasts
3 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:25 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Spin Rate is stolen bases for nerds, a secondary skill that is undeniably positive, but weighted way too highly by enthusiasts

I very much think this is the case too. But like I said, it's still cool to see we have a guy in the system ranked so well in it with a pitch if it gives him even a little bit of a boost or is something that can be worked with to maximize his effectiveness.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:09 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Spin Rate is stolen bases for nerds, a secondary skill that is undeniably positive, but weighted way too highly by enthusiasts

I very much think this is the case too. But like I said, it's still cool to see we have a guy in the system ranked so well in it with a pitch if it gives him even a little bit of a boost or is something that can be worked with to maximize his effectiveness.

Spin rate doesn’t necessarily correlate with control, or lack thereof - in Chatwoods case.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:48 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:After the great Chatwood debacle I’ll never truly trust spin rate meaning much or that we as an org know how to make it work and translate it to on field success like the Astros certainly are. But cool to see with one of our prospects grading so well against big leaguers, I guess.

Didn't someone on here already throw out a Mike Minor comp for Steele, when talking about his potential impact out of the pen?
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:12 am

Cubs Spring Instructs. started yesterday.
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:02 pm

Bear Cub wrote:Cubs Spring Instructs. started yesterday.

Thanks for the reminder. I had spaced that they pushed back the Instructs a few months this year. Here's hoping we get some glowing reports from AzPhil. I would specifically take one about Richard Gallardo sitting 95+.
1 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”