Minor League Musings

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: Minor League Musings

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 am

MLB.com listed the hardest thrower in each system and picked Marquez:

Cubs: Brailyn Marquez, LHP, (Cubs No. 4)
Marquez's $600,000 bonus represented the most money given to a left-handed pitcher during the 2015-16 international signing period, and the Dominican has since emerged as one of the Cubs' top pitching prospects. He's not quite the hardest thrower in their system, but his combination of velocity (93-99 mph), running action and command makes him one of the best.

I’m still super leery of that command comment, not the first time I’ve seen it. I just don’t believe guys with strong fastball command at his ages and levels of comp are giving up HRs like he has or popping off 5+ ERAs in Rk ball.

I’d be happy to be wrong, but obviously suspect I'm not. I expect Richard Gallardo to swiftly pass him as the system’s highest regarded/most ballyhooed upside ceiling potential development arm.

Speaking of Gallardo, have I mentioned he’s going to be one of the good ones? No Ryan Kellogg! If you want to see an extremely young guy with fastball command...That hard stuff up and soft stuff down approach is going to translate. I think he ends up somewhere around a well engineered 6’3” 220 of power pitcher.
0 x
Spoiler: show

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:30 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:MLB.com listed the hardest thrower in each system and picked Marquez:

Marquez's $600,000 bonus represented the most money given to a left-handed pitcher during the 2015-16 international signing period, and the Dominican has since emerged as one of the Cubs' top pitching prospects. He's not quite the hardest thrower in their system, but his combination of velocity (93-99 mph), running action and command makes him one of the best.

I’m still super leery of that command comment, not the first time I’ve seen it. I just don’t believe guys with strong fastball command at his ages and levels of comp are giving up HRs like he has or popping off 5+ ERAs in Rk ball.

I’d be happy to be wrong, but obviously suspect I'm not. I expect Richard Gallardo to swiftly pass him as the system’s highest regarded/most ballyhooed upside ceiling potential development arm.

Speaking of Gallardo, have I mentioned he’s going to be one of the good ones? No Ryan Kellogg! If you want to see an extremely young guy with fastball command...That hard stuff up and soft stuff down approach is going to translate. I think he ends up somewhere around a well engineered 6’3” 220 of power pitcher.

what?
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:15 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:MLB.com listed the hardest thrower in each system and picked Marquez:

what?

Didn't quite understand that one either. That's MLB.com for you.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:15 pm

He had a low 3 and sub 3 era in two levels in 2018 that are above RK ball that he was in, in 2017. So idk why RK ball carries more weight when he’s been better more recently at higher levels (he was also 17/18 years old in RK ball). He’s only given up 9 HRs in ~155 minor league innings, idk that doesn’t seem like a red flag number and he’s had a BB/9 around 2.5 +/- at every stop the last 3 years. His command seems to be pretty good and certainly adequate for someone with his velo and age.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 am

Cubswin11 wrote:He had a low 3 and sub 3 era in two levels in 2018 that are above RK ball that he was in, in 2017. So idk why RK ball carries more weight when he’s been better more recently at higher levels (he was also 17/18 years old in RK ball). He’s only given up 9 HRs in ~155 minor league innings, idk that doesn’t seem like a red flag number and he’s had a BB/9 around 2.5 +/- at every stop the last 3 years. His command seems to be pretty good and certainly adequate for someone with his velo and age.

Who said all that? I'm not just going to ignore 1/3 of the ~150 innings he's thrown in at the SS levels because he threw a marginally better 1/3 this year at still mostly a SS level. It's not as if a) this year was knockout on paper and b) these are super advanced levels of ball. Stack him against top SPs as prospects and current top SP prospects at the same stage and that's alot of HRs and these performances aren't as inspiring as the still pretty tepid hype. I see his profile as much closer to a potential Justin Wilson than a potential Jon Lester. There's no one on this site more willing to overrate a giant healthy potential power armed LH, but I'm just calling it as I sees it. Check out guys like Triston McKenzie, Ian Anderson, and MacKenzie Gore among today's elite to see the kind of performance and ARLs I'm looking for from a potential impact SP prospect acquired as a teenager.
--------

I was perusing BA’s latest issue waiting for my screen to get fixed, NL Central top 10s were in it!

- Cubs compared Hoerner to Dejong defensively in that they believe he can handle SS. I also didn't notice he signed for $2.7something million, which is more than I thought in a good way
- Slapped 40 power and 55 speed on Hoerner, saying the power plays and/or can play up because of his ability to put bat on ball.
- They mentioned fringe average speed for Roederer. Interesting, he’s not known for speed but I guess his general profile led me to assume speed. Maybe with the typical strength gains and better technique? Still, that was a little disappointing
- They gave Brennan Davis the best power tag, mentioned impact tools including "at least' plus speed...I guess I'm glad they're optimistic about his power since he didn't show a lick during his debut
- Brailyn Marquez's slider needs more spin, they referred to overall command as "fringy," change acts more like a two seamer, mentioned he doesn't necessarily hold his velocity yet, but they also said the offspeeds project to be at least above average so there's that

Those are the only ones I really paid attention to and/or remember, I think. Oh, they're also really high on Hiura. He got the cover and they proclaimed him the Brewers' biggest bat prospect since Braun.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:02 am

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-top-10-ri ... -302651350

Ian Anderson not being on this list is probably weird. I’d legit put hin 3rd on that list with the same ETA, if not sooner, than their current third who is currently recovering from TJ.

OTOH Forrest Whitley is an animal who is so good I’m mostly willing to ignore the lack of innings in his profile too. With some luck that kinda works to all non-Astros’ advantages through pre-FA years rather than topple a potential really good one. Off the top of my head he is the best prep drafted and signed RH since Greinke, and seems equally dedicated to the art of pitching

——

LHPs were next...Jesus Luzardo got the top spot and might not even be the best LHP prospect in his org. That guy, AJ Puk, was ranked 4th. Stupid TJ surgery...
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:42 am

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-top-10-ca ... -302736382

1. Joey Bart, Giants (2021)
2. Francisco Mejia, Padres (2019)
3. Keibert Ruiz, Dodgers (2020)
4. Sean Murphy, A's (2019)
5. Danny Jansen, Blue Jays (2019)
6. Ronaldo Hernandez, Rays (2021)
7. Miguel Amaya, Cubs (2021)
8. Daulton Varsho, D-backs (2020)
9. M.J. Melendez, Royals (2021)
10. Andrew Knizner, Cardinals (2019)
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:10 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-top-10-catching-prospects-in-mlb/c-302736382

1. Joey Bart, Giants (2021)
2. Francisco Mejia, Padres (2019)
3. Keibert Ruiz, Dodgers (2020)
4. Sean Murphy, A's (2019)
5. Danny Jansen, Blue Jays (2019)
6. Ronaldo Hernandez, Rays (2021)
7. Miguel Amaya, Cubs (2021)
8. Daulton Varsho, D-backs (2020)
9. M.J. Melendez, Royals (2021)
10. Andrew Knizner, Cardinals (2019)

I don't know why I forget Joey Bart is a thing. He's gonna be a good one.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:52 pm

its really hard to get too excited about the 7th best catching prospect in the minors when there arent even 7 good catchers in the major leagues
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:41 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:its really hard to get too excited about the 7th best catching prospect in the minors when there arent even 7 good catchers in the major leagues

Meh. He’s 19 and was in A-ball so his ranking amongst the best catchers throughout the minors is pretty meaningless. He can easily skyrocket towards the top of the list after anothe season or two with the hope he’s an all-star caliber catcher or he’ll end up being a defense-first backup catcher. Too many variables when you’re that far away at that position to be meaningfully compared to fellow minor leaguers.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:58 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:its really hard to get too excited about the 7th best catching prospect in the minors when there arent even 7 good catchers in the major leagues

Meh. He’s 19 and was in A-ball so his ranking amongst the best catchers throughout the minors is pretty meaningless. He can easily skyrocket towards the top of the list after anothe season or two with the hope he’s an all-star caliber catcher or he’ll end up being a defense-first backup catcher. Too many variables when you’re that far away at that position to be meaningfully compared to fellow minor leaguers.

He's also the youngest catcher listed on that top ten. Only Keibert Ruiz, 20, who's ranked 39th overall by MLB and MJ Melendez, 20, a 2017 2nd rounder (52nd overall) are even close.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:02 pm

AZ Phil has posted the 2019 Instructs Roster. Interesting to note, the only 2018 DSL player to get invited was OF Carlos Morfa. No 2018 IFA guys are participating.

* throws or bats left
# bats both

PITCHERS: 35
Cory Abbott
Jose Albertos
* Chris Allen
Javier Assad
* Faustino Carrera
Derek Casey
Yovanny Cruz
Jeremiah Estrada
Kohl Franklin
Tom Hatch
Alex Lange
* Brendon Little
* Brailyn Marquez
Riley McCauley
Tyson Mller
Erling Moreno
Zach Mort
Eduarniel Nunez
* Eugenio Palma
* Jack Patterson
Yunior Perez
Eury Ramon
Paul Richan
Etan Roberts
Duncan Robinson
Michael Rucker
Cam Sanders
Niels Stone
Matt Swarmer
Jesus Tejada
Keegan Thompson
Riley Thompson
Erich Uelmen
* Didier Vargas
Blake Whitney

CATCHERS: 6
Miguel Amaya
Alexander Guerra
Orian Nunez (ex-INF)
Jhonny Pereda
Henderson Perez
* Jonathan Soto

INFIELDERS: 18 (position played during infield practice in parenthesis)
* Aramis Ademan (SS)
Jhonny Bethencourt (3B)
Luis Diaz (2B)
* Tyler Durna (1B)
# Reivaj Garcia (2B)
Nico Hoerner (SS - see NOTE below)
# Josue Huma (3B)
# Fidel Mejia (3B)
Christopher Morel (SS)
Miguel Pabon (2B)
# Yonathan Perlaza (3B)
* Luke Reynolds (1B)
Jake Slaughter (1B)
* Jared Young (1B)
Luis Vazquez (SS)
Luis Verdugo (SS)
* Andy Weber (2B)
Delvin Zinn (2B)
NOTE: Hoerner did not participate with the other infielders in group infield practice on Fields #3 and #4; instead he received intense one-on-one instruction from Minor League Infield Coordinator Jonathan Mota and coach Carlos Rojas on Field #6

OUTFIELDERS: 11
* Edmond Americaan
* D. J. Artis
Brennen Davis
Jamie Galazin
Jimmy Herron
Fernando Kelli
Kevin Moreno
Carlos Morfa (U. S. debut - played in DSL in 2018)
* Ezequiel Pagan
* Cole Roederer
Nelson Velazquez
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:17 am

And a nice update today from Arizona Phil. Hope Davis can keep himself healthy:

1/19 NOTE: While the other 24 infielders & outfielders were engaged in bunting practice under the tutelage of Doug Dascenzo on the half-field, the six guys with the highest exit-velo/hard contact rate (Aramis Ademan, Brennen Davis, Nico Hoerner, Christopher Morel, Andy Weber, and Jared Young) took special BP (tee-drills) on Field #1 (with Assistant Hitting Coordinator Tom Beyers) and Field #2 (with Hitting Coordinator Chris Valaika), working on striking the ball on the lower third and driving the ball in the air foul line-to-foul line.

While all six made consistent hard contact and did a nice job of spraying line-drives, Hoerner and Young are clearly way ahead of the other four. Hoerner and Young are really good hitters, and I wouldn't be surprised if both begin the 2019 season at AA. (After playing 1st base in infield practice yesterday, Young worked-out with the outfielders rather than the infielders in this morning's pre-BP fielding practice, so the Cubs apparently project him as a 1B-LF going forward).
2 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:53 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:And a nice update today from Arizona Phil. Hope Davis can keep himself healthy:

1/19 NOTE: While the other 24 infielders & outfielders were engaged in bunting practice under the tutelage of Doug Dascenzo on the half-field, the six guys with the highest exit-velo/hard contact rate (Aramis Ademan, Brennen Davis, Nico Hoerner, Christopher Morel, Andy Weber, and Jared Young) took special BP (tee-drills) on Field #1 (with Assistant Hitting Coordinator Tom Beyers) and Field #2 (with Hitting Coordinator Chris Valaika), working on striking the ball on the lower third and driving the ball in the air foul line-to-foul line.

While all six made consistent hard contact and did a nice job of spraying line-drives, Hoerner and Young are clearly way ahead of the other four. Hoerner and Young are really good hitters, and I wouldn't be surprised if both begin the 2019 season at AA. (After playing 1st base in infield practice yesterday, Young worked-out with the outfielders rather than the infielders in this morning's pre-BP fielding practice, so the Cubs apparently project him as a 1B-LF going forward).

I'd love to see Young get some time at 2B where he played in college, but it looks like the Cubs may have moved on from that as he only played 2 games there last season.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Curious that Roederer is **not** among the six guys with highest exit velocity. I wonder how data-literal Phil's comment actually is? Also interesting that Davis *is* included in that group. I wouldn't have been confident that with his length that he'd have the swing-speed for exit-velo. Also interesting that Ademan, who slugged .273, would be included.

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:And a nice update today from Arizona Phil. Hope Davis can keep himself healthy:

0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:15 pm

Some really good stuff in this thread.

1 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:51 pm

craig wrote:Also interesting that Davis *is* included in that group. I wouldn't have been confident that with his length that he'd have the swing-speed for exit-velo.

?? Is this a physics thing? I was terrible at that stuff

——

Ernst did a profile on Ademan too and there’s something I just like about his swing:

He needs to bulk up to really tap into the power and hit. I’d honestly rather he do that even than stick at SS.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:58 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
craig wrote:Also interesting that Davis *is* included in that group. I wouldn't have been confident that with his length that he'd have the swing-speed for exit-velo.

?? Is this a physics thing? I was terrible at that stuff

——

Ernst did a profile on Ademan too and there’s something I just like about his swing:

He needs to bulk up to really tap into the power and hit. I’d honestly rather he do that even than stick at SS.

Yeah he needs to mature physically. The promotion last year was just too aggressive, but good that they are pushing guys. He still could be something. I was listening to some prospect podcast recently (BP I think on the Cubs system) and they basically said the few times they saw Ademan last year it was like watching a middle schooler being put on a HS varsity baseball team. You could just tell he was physically overmatched but could see why he was being sent up there with his raw ability/skills. He just needs to mature.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:44 pm

CubsWin wrote:AZ Phil has posted the 2019 Instructs Roster. Interesting to note, the only 2018 DSL player to get invited was OF Carlos Morfa. No 2018 IFA guys are participating.

Boo! I was craving some Richard Gallardo action.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Possibly 2019 ready rival prospects took the top spots in MLB.com’s last two position rankings. Pete Alonso was the top 1B and Keston Hiura was the top 2B prospect. Alonso’s pretty much going to make or break the Mets’ lineup. Without him their sources of RH power are the catchers, Keon Broxton, a backup corner, and Amed Rosario and their best overall hitter is 36. Hiura’s going to have to pick some slack too, probably/hopefully, since that lineup has alot of potential to go backwards.

——

The dude I cannot wait to see on this farm is Richard Gallardo. There’s nothing more valuable or coveted in this sport than the guy with legitimate top of the rotation potential and they’re often spotted early, usually about 16/“junior year” in HS, as amateurs. Obviously it’s a pool with lots of misses, particularly since this horsefeathers has been and probably still is more art than science, but it’s also where you find a Greinke, Cole, or Fernandez. Gallardo seems to have many qualities scouts and observers really look for from the highest level guys with a mix of projection, polish, power, pitchability, natual deception, command, and movement. Probably what has me most interested is the consistently reported dominance of his four seam against his peers. Intuitively the best of the best master the four seam, it’s the most natural or instinctual grip and the most basic instincts for throwing will be towards speed and accuracy rather than sink or curve or touch. Some of the stuff that has me hyped is usijg that four seam in a more north/south approach:

BA:

Gallardo (6-foot-1, 187 pounds) sat at 89-93 mph, advanced velocity for a 16-year-old with the projection to throw harder. He threw frequent strikes and elevated up and above the zone successfully to generate swing-and-miss. Gallardo also mixed in a 70-75 mph curveball that flashed above-average with good rotation.

FanGraphs:

He’s really loose, flexible, and athletic, and has some physical projection. He sits 89-93 right now and it plays at the top of the strike zone. He’ll likely throw harder as he matures. Gallardo also has a proclivity for spin and his curveball already flashes plus. He checks all the traditional boxes for a teenage pitching prospect, has advanced pitchability, and his stuff works in a specific way (four-seamers up, curveballs down) that fits with contemporary pitch usage. Teenage pitching is risky, but every aspect of Gallardo’s profile is indicative of improvement.

Louis Elijaua (Cubs’ director of international scouting):

He's very polished for his age. He has a three-pitch mix that he commands very well -- fastball, curveball, change. The fastball is up to 94 [mph] and he sits 90, 92. That's really good for a 16-year old. We feel there's more in the tank. He could end up settling in and have a mid-90s fastball and very good movement."

"There's something in his delivery and hitters don't get good swings on any of his pitches, which is obviously a good attribute to have," Eljaua said. "He's one of those guys who has three pitches, but we've seen from him 70 percent fastballs in his outings. He doesn't need to use the other stuff at this point, and he picks and chooses when he throws the other stuff. He's very headsy, very advanced, knows how to set up hitters -- at least hitters his age."

I consider the fastball up/offspeed down approach
less a comtemporary one and more timeless. From Walter Johnson to Max Scherzer, being able to consistently beat hitters up in the zone with the four seam has been a staple of dominant inning eaters.

When it’s all said and done I think Gallardo can measure out to what is still considered the prototype SP - a loose and athletic 6’3” 225 capable of sitting in the mid-90’s with two above average or better offspeeds (curve and changeup).

Of course the Cubs have kinda sucked at developing power arms so far (even though early on the FO stated power pitching was a goal) and he’s a pitcher...No, I don’t think he’s an Albertos redux as they’re two different body types and even styles of pitching, plus he’s a much higher profile amateur...Also getting excited about this farm was way more fun when it seemed like they were going to grab Harper+ this offseason
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Damn, he’s a big dude (in a good way) already for a 18-19 year old. Looks like he can still add some decent, good weight to his frame too.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:20 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Damn, he’s a big dude (in a good way) already for a 18-19 year old. Looks like he can still add some decent, good weight to his frame too.

Whoa. Dude has been in the gym this offseason! He was MUCH skinnier this past summer.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:40 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Damn, he’s a big dude (in a good way) already for a 18-19 year old. Looks like he can still add some decent, good weight to his frame too.

Whoa. Dude has been in the gym this offseason! He was MUCH skinnier this past summer.

No horsefeathers. Look at the video (outside of the swing difference as noted, which is interesting and good to see in and of itself) he was skinner than Carl.

1 x
Screw Pitchers

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:14 am

Thanks for links and vids, guys! Yeah, that's quite the change in physique. Fun to see. Hope he can hit.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Apparently former Cubs prospect Luke Hagerty is looking to make a comeback and hitting 97.

He is 38 and last threw a pro pitch in 2006. Pretty badass

I’m assuming that’s both his twitter handle and company. I remember him from that Prior/Cruz/Guzman/Ryu/Hagerty/Jones/Sisco/Petrick/Gallagher/Blasko/whoever else group that I should definitely not remember

———

Also:

———

Also also the Reds placed two in the top 5 of MLB.com’s top 10 3B prospects, Senzel and India. Both have played multiple positions, Senzel especially, and may not actually end up at 3B. Along with Trammel and probably eventually Tyler Stephenson, they’ve got some quality position players/bats brewing on that farm.

———

BA’s updated top 100 is coming out tmrrw
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”