Minor League Musings

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: Minor League Musings

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 am

MLB.com listed the hardest thrower in each system and picked Marquez:

Cubs: Brailyn Marquez, LHP, (Cubs No. 4)
Marquez's $600,000 bonus represented the most money given to a left-handed pitcher during the 2015-16 international signing period, and the Dominican has since emerged as one of the Cubs' top pitching prospects. He's not quite the hardest thrower in their system, but his combination of velocity (93-99 mph), running action and command makes him one of the best.

I’m still super leery of that command comment, not the first time I’ve seen it. I just don’t believe guys with strong fastball command at his ages and levels of comp are giving up HRs like he has or popping off 5+ ERAs in Rk ball.

I’d be happy to be wrong, but obviously suspect I'm not. I expect Richard Gallardo to swiftly pass him as the system’s highest regarded/most ballyhooed upside ceiling potential development arm.

Speaking of Gallardo, have I mentioned he’s going to be one of the good ones? No Ryan Kellogg! If you want to see an extremely young guy with fastball command...That hard stuff up and soft stuff down approach is going to translate. I think he ends up somewhere around a well engineered 6’3” 220 of power pitcher.
0 x
Spoiler: show

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:30 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:MLB.com listed the hardest thrower in each system and picked Marquez:

Marquez's $600,000 bonus represented the most money given to a left-handed pitcher during the 2015-16 international signing period, and the Dominican has since emerged as one of the Cubs' top pitching prospects. He's not quite the hardest thrower in their system, but his combination of velocity (93-99 mph), running action and command makes him one of the best.

I’m still super leery of that command comment, not the first time I’ve seen it. I just don’t believe guys with strong fastball command at his ages and levels of comp are giving up HRs like he has or popping off 5+ ERAs in Rk ball.

I’d be happy to be wrong, but obviously suspect I'm not. I expect Richard Gallardo to swiftly pass him as the system’s highest regarded/most ballyhooed upside ceiling potential development arm.

Speaking of Gallardo, have I mentioned he’s going to be one of the good ones? No Ryan Kellogg! If you want to see an extremely young guy with fastball command...That hard stuff up and soft stuff down approach is going to translate. I think he ends up somewhere around a well engineered 6’3” 220 of power pitcher.

what?
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:15 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:MLB.com listed the hardest thrower in each system and picked Marquez:

what?

Didn't quite understand that one either. That's MLB.com for you.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:15 pm

He had a low 3 and sub 3 era in two levels in 2018 that are above RK ball that he was in, in 2017. So idk why RK ball carries more weight when he’s been better more recently at higher levels (he was also 17/18 years old in RK ball). He’s only given up 9 HRs in ~155 minor league innings, idk that doesn’t seem like a red flag number and he’s had a BB/9 around 2.5 +/- at every stop the last 3 years. His command seems to be pretty good and certainly adequate for someone with his velo and age.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 am

Cubswin11 wrote:He had a low 3 and sub 3 era in two levels in 2018 that are above RK ball that he was in, in 2017. So idk why RK ball carries more weight when he’s been better more recently at higher levels (he was also 17/18 years old in RK ball). He’s only given up 9 HRs in ~155 minor league innings, idk that doesn’t seem like a red flag number and he’s had a BB/9 around 2.5 +/- at every stop the last 3 years. His command seems to be pretty good and certainly adequate for someone with his velo and age.

Who said all that? I'm not just going to ignore 1/3 of the ~150 innings he's thrown in at the SS levels because he threw a marginally better 1/3 this year at still mostly a SS level. It's not as if a) this year was knockout on paper and b) these are super advanced levels of ball. Stack him against top SPs as prospects and current top SP prospects at the same stage and that's alot of HRs and these performances aren't as inspiring as the still pretty tepid hype. I see his profile as much closer to a potential Justin Wilson than a potential Jon Lester. There's no one on this site more willing to overrate a giant healthy potential power armed LH, but I'm just calling it as I sees it. Check out guys like Triston McKenzie, Ian Anderson, and MacKenzie Gore among today's elite to see the kind of performance and ARLs I'm looking for from a potential impact SP prospect acquired as a teenager.
--------

I was perusing BA’s latest issue waiting for my screen to get fixed, NL Central top 10s were in it!

- Cubs compared Hoerner to Dejong defensively in that they believe he can handle SS. I also didn't notice he signed for $2.7something million, which is more than I thought in a good way
- Slapped 40 power and 55 speed on Hoerner, saying the power plays and/or can play up because of his ability to put bat on ball.
- They mentioned fringe average speed for Roederer. Interesting, he’s not known for speed but I guess his general profile led me to assume speed. Maybe with the typical strength gains and better technique? Still, that was a little disappointing
- They gave Brennan Davis the best power tag, mentioned impact tools including "at least' plus speed...I guess I'm glad they're optimistic about his power since he didn't show a lick during his debut
- Brailyn Marquez's slider needs more spin, they referred to overall command as "fringy," change acts more like a two seamer, mentioned he doesn't necessarily hold his velocity yet, but they also said the offspeeds project to be at least above average so there's that

Those are the only ones I really paid attention to and/or remember, I think. Oh, they're also really high on Hiura. He got the cover and they proclaimed him the Brewers' biggest bat prospect since Braun.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:02 am

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-top-10-ri ... -302651350

Ian Anderson not being on this list is probably weird. I’d legit put hin 3rd on that list with the same ETA, if not sooner, than their current third who is currently recovering from TJ.

OTOH Forrest Whitley is an animal who is so good I’m mostly willing to ignore the lack of innings in his profile too. With some luck that kinda works to all non-Astros’ advantages through pre-FA years rather than topple a potential really good one. Off the top of my head he is the best prep drafted and signed RH since Greinke, and seems equally dedicated to the art of pitching

——

LHPs were next...Jesus Luzardo got the top spot and might not even be the best LHP prospect in his org. That guy, AJ Puk, was ranked 4th. Stupid TJ surgery...
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:42 am

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-top-10-ca ... -302736382

1. Joey Bart, Giants (2021)
2. Francisco Mejia, Padres (2019)
3. Keibert Ruiz, Dodgers (2020)
4. Sean Murphy, A's (2019)
5. Danny Jansen, Blue Jays (2019)